HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather talks about Messier's possible FO role with NYRS

Old
01-25-2009, 11:00 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Sather talks about Messier's possible FO role with NYRS

Edmonton Journal(surprise)

Quote:
Sather, who's been the Rangers' GM since 2000, isn't sure what Messier wants to do, exactly. But his door is open. "A couple of years ago we talked and he wasn't that keen on being a scout, but I think he's refined that," said Sather. "I'm sure this summer Mark and I will have another conversation about it. He's got a good eye for talent. And the scouting, it's not just the NHL, it's going to places like Sudbury (junior) and Hartford (their AHL farm club) and going to meetings and filing reports."

Sather feels Messier could be a GM someday."I'm sure Mark could do it, but he has to decide that's what he wants to do. I tell guys all the time that hockey isn't a job, it's a way of life," said Sather. Messier's name has always come up as a possible coach, somewhere, but Sather isn't sure that's his best path. "Coaching is not easy. It's stressful as hell, hard work," said Sather, who was coach and GM here
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...994/story.html

Messier the Rangers exec is right around the corner

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 11:02 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If he works his way up from Scout to AGM to GM, I would have no issue. I just think it'd be horrid for him to just jump into the GM position.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 11:07 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Then when Phoenix collapses we can bring in Wayne as coach!

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 11:32 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
If he works his way up from Scout to AGM to GM, I would have no issue. I just think it'd be horrid for him to just jump into the GM position.
I agree in principle. My concern, however, is that it was always clear that Mess had "his" guys when he was playing - and that kind of narrow view on players is extremely limiting and potentially catestrophic in a GM's position. I'd want to see proof that he could truly be objective before getting on board the bandwagon to have him become GM.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 11:47 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Then when Phoenix collapses we can bring in Wayne as coach!

If you think Renney is bad with line combos......Gretzky is a whole other animal

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

to the mamalukes who bashed sather for going on trips (ie the latest in edmonton)..that's the only time we get soundbites from this guy. you should be grateful he goes to a place that gets us some different, interesting information about the club.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:21 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Matheson reported these other Rangers tidbits today.He spoke to Glen

Quote:
The Rangers didn't want Brendan Shanahan back as a player but did offer an assistant-coaching job this year, that he obviously wasn't interested in.

The Rangers did counsel Dallas Stars' Brett Hull that it wouldn't be a good idea to bring in Sean Avery this season because he was a lousy teammate, more than anything, but Hull thought he could handle him
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...998/story.html

Sather shed some light on Mark's future with the Rangers and on a few other topics

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:33 PM
NYRSchrute217

Maybe if Shanny took the assistant coaching job Pearn would've been fired

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Edmonton Journal(surprise)

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...994/story.html

Messier the Rangers exec is right around the corner
Messier will forever be my favorite player, leader and what not. For his play prior to the trapping era.

But I seriously think he would be a disaster anywhere near a hockeyteam these days. The game of hockey have changed, and its obviously extremely hard for someone who have had a ton of success in the game of hockey, to accept that it, the game, have changed.

You don't win on will-power and talent alone these days. Slats didn't even get that 2003. Its a extreme team game. A drilled Swiss team with 2 borderline NHLers got a serious chance against the best of Canada thrown together. Thats a fact.

I am sure Messier would become a great leader if he realized that. But I don't think he will -- ever. He didn't either get it 2003. After trapping hockey had dominated for atleast 8 years. Why would he get it 2009 after 14 years?

Look at Steve Yzerman. He is at every international tournaments. In the stands for AHL games. He sits in at Detroits organization meetings et c.

He will become a great leader. Mess obviously think he could do it right away on will and stubborness.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Ola

Slats isn't getting it in 2009. Thats why JJ is playing in Russia this season. Thats why we change 50% of the roster every summer.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 02:25 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Mess obviously think he could do it right away on will and stubborness.
Where did you get this from? By the sounds of that article Mess has realized that if he does want to be in the front office that's how he'll start out

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 03:01 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Messier will forever be my favorite player, leader and what not. For his play prior to the trapping era.

But I seriously think he would be a disaster anywhere near a hockeyteam these days. The game of hockey have changed, and its obviously extremely hard for someone who have had a ton of success in the game of hockey, to accept that it, the game, have changed.

You don't win on will-power and talent alone these days. Slats didn't even get that 2003. Its a extreme team game. A drilled Swiss team with 2 borderline NHLers got a serious chance against the best of Canada thrown together. Thats a fact.

I am sure Messier would become a great leader if he realized that. But I don't think he will -- ever. He didn't either get it 2003. After trapping hockey had dominated for atleast 8 years. Why would he get it 2009 after 14 years?

Look at Steve Yzerman. He is at every international tournaments. In the stands for AHL games. He sits in at Detroits organization meetings et c.

He will become a great leader. Mess obviously think he could do it right away on will and stubborness.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote