HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is the most obvious need for BG to address?

Old
01-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Tyson

vCash: 500
What is the most obvious need for BG to address?

I am convinced this team is in need of more team toughness to compete in the Playoffs.
Without getting tougher, no way this team wins against the likes of NJD, Boston or Philly.
We can dream about Vinny but truthfully he is not what is needed, a tough Dman, a healthy Georges Laraques are the bare essentials for starters.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:32 PM
couz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
I am convinced this team is in need of more team toughness to compete in the Playoffs.
Without getting tougher, no way this team wins against the likes of NJD, Boston or Philly.
We can dream about Vinny but truthfully he is not what is needed, a tough Dman, a healthy Georges Laraques are the bare essentials for starters.
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/267810.html

This is what Serge Savard thinks.

He's bang on

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Overall, I think the team has ridiculous skill but not enough sandpaper. I'd gladly trade some skill for some more players that are hard to play against.

My questions as to whether this team is built for the playoffs still exist.

I agree with Savard that the habs can use more toughness (I dont mean goon type toughness) but I disagree with his opinion of lecavalier. Try to knock this guy off the puck when he has posession. He would help this team a ton in that category.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/267810.html

This is what Serge Savard thinks.

He's bang on
Ya, we all know how Pittsburgh and Detroit were the physically packed clubs last year..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:43 PM
couz

Vinny is tough, he plays with an edge.

Of all top ten centers in the NHL I'd put him as one of the toughest...I mean the guy dropped the gloves twice with Chara

Old
01-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Ya, we all know how Pittsburgh and Detroit were the physically packed clubs last year..
Johan Franzen was one of detroit's best players in the playoffs.

The Pens had their fair share of tough players to play against as well. Orpik, Talbot, Malkin, Crosby etc...

To me, toughness is about how difficult it is to knock a guy off the puck and how many battles they win against the boards.

Old
01-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
There are no obvious needs beyond good health and good goaltending.
If Price is healthy and performing, and if the infirmary gets cleared, I think they can compete with anyone over 7 games.

Get Higgins, Tanguay and Koivu recovered and in game shape and that's like getting a top line added. With the call up depth they've demonstrated it's easy to swap players in to cover for nagging injuries.

Top 4 defenseman will be the call of the day from fans but you can't rent one of those without giving up a huge package of players and picks. Bob won't do it, especially with the threat he will lose that player soon to preserve his current list of UFA's.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:49 PM
couz

Quote:
we also don't have the talent level those two teams had to just get by on skill.

We have talent but no Datsyuk,Zetterberg,Lidstrom or Crosby,Malkin,Hossa.

Those guys respond to toughness by still playing with their skill.

Kovy,**** bros,Pleks,Higgins fold when it gets physical.

Old
01-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Andy

J-Bo....we won't get him because Florida wont give him up now, but this guy is incredible.

Beautiful Skater, Beautiful shot, just enough grit, intelligent player.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Kirk Muller

The Most obvious needs are the same needs that haven't been addressed for years now.

A top 4 defenseman preferably offensive minded.

A top two line center with size and some edge to his game.

I am confident in BG not to make a huge mistake however his lack of thinking outside the box or risk taking may prevent his team from grabbing a front line player via trade.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Ross MacLochness

Defense, for the love of god, defense.

After last season would it not be a little crazy to go into this years playoffs with the identical forward lines that got us knocked out in the 2nd round last year? Of course, so Gainey told a few guys to take a hike and brought in some new blood from outside and from Hamilton. Well as of right now we have the exact same defence we had in last years playoffs. I just don't think it's going to cut it. Brisebois can't play a regular shift in the playoffs. That's just how I feel. Get a legitimate 4-5 D man and this team looks pretty good.

Last edited by Ross MacLochness: 01-25-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Etienne

I'm still convinced that we need a 4th D with PP skills the most, but if Gainey can get a legitimate first line center without sacrificing too many roster players, I'm all for it too. And if he can trade Plekanec in the process, then I'll wet myself. This guy is way too soft for the playoffs.

Etienne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:21 PM
deandebean

J-Bo. Could be our next Larry Robinson. But we surely need more sandpaper. More McPhees, Skrudlands and Lemieuxs for sure. One guy that I would try to pry from Ottawa is...Chris Neil. The guy could be had and could provide solid sandpaper.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Defense, for the love of god, defense.

After last season would it not be a little crazy to go into this years playoffs with the identical forward lines that got us knocked out in the 2nd round last year? Of course, so Gainey told a few guys to take a hike and brought in some new blood from outside and from Hamilton. Well as of right now we have the exact same defence we had in last years playoffs. I just don't think it's going to cut it. Brisebois can't play a regular shift in the playoffs. That's just how I feel. Get a legitimate 4-5 D man and this team looks pretty good.
Yes, but we have the same goaltender as last year too. Should we replace Price?
Changing the things we have in common with last year method doesn't always work.

And as far as I am concerned the biggest reason Montreal exited last year when they did was that Price wasn't yet ready to take them any further. He was outplayed by his counterpart in Biron. If he's grown this year, the team is in good shape. If not, we'll get the same result or worse.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
J-Bo. Could be our next Larry Robinson. But we surely need more sandpaper. More McPhees, Skrudlands and Lemieuxs for sure. One guy that I would try to pry from Ottawa is...Chris Neil. The guy could be had and could provide solid sandpaper.
Chris Neil would be a good addition for sure. Brendan Morrow, Ethan Morreau, Jarome Iginla....Those would be guys we'd need in the playoffs; however none of them will ever be traded.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Johan Franzen was one of detroit's best players in the playoffs.

The Pens had their fair share of tough players to play against as well. Orpik, Talbot, Malkin, Crosby etc...

To me, toughness is about how difficult it is to knock a guy off the puck and how many battles they win against the boards.
So do we.
Komi..Markov..Kovalev..Koivu..

All the players you mentioned were with the team the year before and didn't they get swept by Ottawa in 1st Round?..or lost in 5?

Many of our players had 1st time appearances last year in PO, and if not, they had very little experience.
Many of them had to deal with the pressure last year, so they have a better idea right from the start.

I don't think this is an important need.
Last year, all season long, we relied on our PP. So when it didn't work, we panicked a bit and had to try to figure out a different way to win. A new way we never had to find during the season.

This year, we had to cope with a bad PP all season, and our players have more experience and know what to expect.

I think refinement on D would be the best way to go.

Last edited by Kriss E: 01-25-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old
01-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

We need to get tougher...not a guy who can drop the gloves and win because we already have Laraque, but we need a player with skill and that plays with an edge. Goes constantly to the net and knows how to score (i.e. Pacioretty's goal vs NJ). Or add a solid tough all around defensemen that constantly wins his battle on the board.

Toughness is the key, we have enough skill.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:14 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
We need to get tougher...not a guy who can drop the gloves and win because we already have Laraque, but we need a player with skill and that plays with an edge. Goes constantly to the net and knows how to score (i.e. Pacioretty's goal vs NJ). Or add a solid tough all around defensemen that constantly wins his battle on the board.

Toughness is the key, we have enough skill.
Right on.

Grit, grit and more grit at forward et defence.

We have enough prima ballerinas.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:21 PM
MathMan

Fine, for those who insist on more sandpaper:

Who, in the healthy lineup of forwards, would you bump off to make room for your sandpaper?

I mean this lineup:
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay
Kostitsyn-Lang-Kostitsyn
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

Also, compare the amount of "sandpaper" on a team like Boston to that of Montreal and realize that the difference is most likely overstated.

I'm all for adding a big, tough scorer, a guy like we think Pacioretty can develop into, but teams seldom trade these valuable guys.

All in all if this team has an area that's less strong, it's clear that defense is it. Unless he finds a home run to slam, Gainey should pursue a defenseman.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
So do we.
Komi..Markov..Kovalev..Koivu..

All the players you mentioned were with the team the year before and didn't they get swept by Ottawa in 1st Round?..or lost in 5?

Many of our players had 1st time appearances last year in PO, and if not, they had very little experience.
Many of them had to deal with the pressure last year, so they have a better idea right from the start.

I don't think this is an important need.
Last year, all season long, we relied on our PP. So when it didn't work, we panicked a bit and had to try to figure out a different way to win. A new way we never had to find during the season.

This year, we had to cope with a bad PP all season, and our players have more experience and know what to expect.

I think refinement on D would be the best way to go.
I suppose komi can be compared to orpik... koivu is a gamer but he can be knocked off the puck. Kovalev is unpredictable. If he brings it, he can be tough but you cant rely on him.

These players dont compare in terms of being able to win battles along the boards consistently and retaining the puck using their body.

In terms of forwards, I think laps and lats are among our best based on the above mentioned qualities

Old
01-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Yes, but we have the same goaltender as last year too. Should we replace Price?
Changing the things we have in common with last year method doesn't always work.
Well you can't really compare one guy with a group of players. It's apples and oranges. Plus it was written in stone last summer that Price was going to be our guy. Anyway it's not just changing because we lost last year. It's because the defense wasn't nearly good enough then, and Bouillon and Brisebois aren't getting any younger/ better. That pairing stands out even in regular season games against mediocre teams, imagine against the elites in a 7 game series where momentum is so fragile. Add on that Gorges isn't really a stud #4 guy. He's close, but probably not there yet.

The defense is just not good enough.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

We need Malkin

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Chris Neil would be a good addition for sure. Brendan Morrow, Ethan Morreau, Jarome Iginla....Those would be guys we'd need in the playoffs; however none of them will ever be traded.
Chris Neil isn't a game changer or an intimidating player that demands respect around he league. His name was brought up by Eklund, no one else and this move makes no sense because he isn't better than Kostopolous because he doesn't fight fighters and doesn't play hard against big players either.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:37 PM
MathMan

Chris Neil brings nothing to the table that Laraque couldn't.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I suppose komi can be compared to orpik... koivu is a gamer but he can be knocked off the puck. Kovalev is unpredictable. If he brings it, he can be tough but you cant rely on him.

These players dont compare in terms of being able to win battles along the boards consistently and retaining the puck using their body.

In terms of forwards, I think laps and lats are among our best based on the above mentioned qualities
Actually, I think we can rely on them without any problems.

We didn't lose in the POs last year because we lacked puck control or losing battles along the boards easily.

I think we lost in the POs last year because of the lack of production at Even Strength and a Dcorps that was overpowered.

Our unsuccessful PP made us fix that ES scoring. So that's already better.

As for our D last year, Komi was still injured, Gorges/Bouillon/Streit are small..Breezer, well we all know how easy it is to push him off the puck.
We had Markov that wasn't dominant and rumored to have been injured as well. We only had Komi that was a true beast for us on D last POs. Although Gorges was decent, he wasn't as good as he is now.

I think we need a solid D, not necessarily a top 2 a la Bouwmeester, but maybe a 4th with size.
This would be the best addition IMO.