HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Top 10 Rangers Goons/Fighters of all time

View Poll Results: Who is the #1 Rangers fighter of all time
George McPhee 3 4.35%
Jeff Beukeboom 6 8.70%
Chris "Knuckles" Nilan 2 2.90%
Kris King 0 0%
Tie Domi 6 8.70%
Sandy McCarthy 1 1.45%
Rudy Poeschek 0 0%
Nick Fotiu 16 23.19%
Joey Kocur 25 36.23%
Darren Langdon 10 14.49%
Barry Beck 0 0%
Eric Cairns 0 0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-25-2009, 12:41 AM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickdawg View Post
One guy not mentioned is Ryan Vandenbusche. He didn't play many games with the Rangers but his destruction of Nick Kypreos is at least worth mentioning.
Vandenbusche. That guy was a goon by definition. He was a miserable hockey player haha

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:50 AM
TomLaidlaw

I voted Nicky but my personal favorite was McPhee. I liked the little guys who didn't back down from anyone...McPhee, Domi, PJ Stock etc. I can't believe McPhee is a GM now. The guy was a lunatic when he played. I remember Nystrom trying to headbutt McPhee at the end of a fight.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:56 AM
mike14

Voted for Nick
Favorite would've be Barnaby but I'm not sure if you really classify him as a 'fighter'

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 02:19 AM
FLYLine24*

How can you not have Orr in the poll?

Even though he is still a current Ranger he pretty much wins every fight he is in....easily top 3 in the league.....

In Recent memory...Orr is the king of fighting for our team.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 06:22 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
How can you not have Orr in the poll?

Even though he is still a current Ranger he pretty much wins every fight he is in....easily top 3 in the league.....

In Recent memory...Orr is the king of fighting for our team.
Agreed. I have a stash of probably over 1000 hockey fights from the late 70's throughout the mid 90's and without a doubt, Colton Orr belongs on that list for the Rangers.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 07:23 AM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

While McPhee vs. Markwart was one of my favorite fights on tape growing up, I can't vote for any other player here besides Nick Fotiu.

When the Rangers got Kocur, he had earned the rep as one of the toughest (if not THE toughest) in the game at that time, but Fotiu was the neutralizer for those "supposed" Broad Street Bullies, who never wanted a piece of Nicky (see Wilson, Behn and what happened when he finally dropped the gloves!)

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 07:28 AM
JerseyRangers

I had to go with Kocur with Nicky a close second. The biggest difference was sheer punching power. Kocur probably hurt more guys in his career then any other fighter. Fotiu was probably a better fighter but Kocur could end a fight (and a career) with one shot. Nicky was feared but not to the extent that Kocur was.

Thanks to Lionhound for a great job with his post. Anyway, when you look at the caliber of fighters the Rangers had through the years you kinda realize that we had some pretty scarry teams. Lets add another page to this. How about the toughest Rangers teams of all times. I have to say the 89-90 team (Kocur and Domi -- enough said).

Finally I'm surprised no one mentioned Nick Kypreos. He was more than willing and not a bad fighter.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Garv23

I have to go with Fotiu and Kocur as a tie for the top slot just based on their fear factor alone. Langdon was the best technical fighter I've ever seen minus that big KO punch. Domi and King were tough. And now we got Orr who just flat out fights like a rabid gorilla. My personal favorite though, was McPhee. That little dude was an animal!

Jay Wells, Joe Patterson, Mark Jannsens were a few more short lived Rangers who could chuck 'em well.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:05 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Langdon was such a great technical fighter. Waited for his opponents to punch out, and then took over the fight.

Rangers have a very similar fighter in the system right now in Justin Soryal. Granted he is out of the lineup for a little while with a broken hand, but Soryal is among the most technical fighters in the AHL right now. Kid is amazing at switching hands, something not every fighter can do. Soryal has mastered it, and that combined with his stamina, and chin is what enables this guy to hang with any enforcer in the AHL...And probably soon in the NHL.
I agree with you here I think Soryal and Orr can make a great 1-2 punch for the Rangers as they are both still young and I think Orr can probably show him the ropes. I do believe Soryal will be in the NHL in a couple of years, Im just happy were finally hanging on to our young enforcers, weve seen Domi and Cairns leave in the past while they were young and they went on to become dominant fighters in the NHL, it now seems with Orr and developing a guy like Soryal were actually hanging on to our young enforcers.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Wolfpack21

Where's Colten?

Wolfpack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 01:38 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Please Continue Discussion in this thread:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=599178

Mods can you close this thread please

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Finally I'm surprised no one mentioned Nick Kypreos. He was more than willing and not a bad fighter.[/QUOTE]

No I am sorry he was a bad fighter. He was a game as they come but he didn't win many

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:02 PM
SML

No Troy Mallette? I know he wasn't here long, but he still holds the record for PIM in a season with over 300, which takes "tough guys" 3 seasons to hit nowadays.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Fletch

that's it, Dagoon...would fight just about anybody, but didn't always do so well. Remember the Vandenbusche moment all too well. Ouch. I didn't see him a lot as a Whaler, but when he came to the Rangers I always thought of him as a fighter (because he fought a lot and was a "tough" guy). Great teammate though. Funny guy; remember him giving Kovalev some pointers after Kovalev fought Dave Gagner (think that was in '95).

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Sandy has no business being on this list. There was a list of better fighters than him.

Mark Hardy
David Shaw
Ron Greshner
Jay Wells
Lindy Ruff
Patterson
Mark Janssens

like Beukeboom they were not pure fighters but they would not back down to anyone and would make sure noone gave our guys a rough ride...

Troy Mallette would have gone in the goon category.
Kocur was past his prime when he came, Nilan was embarrassingly past it
so I would have to go with

Fotiu
Domi
Kocur
Poeshek
Beck

would be the top 5!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I actually thought Landgon was an underated figher because he lacked that KO punch. Did see him with a few KOs and a few blodied faces with those short left hand punches that after minute one didn't miss the face a lot. Recall him losing only one fight, the one in which Grissom pulled his jersey over his face. People didn't think of him as an "enforcer" but at the same time, the Rangers coach didn't use him as an "enforcer" and used him as a guy who'd go out for a fight or two, although I can remember too many stretches when the Rangers were getting run over and he'd be sitting on the bench. Don't think it was because the opposition didn't fear him, moreso he wasn't on the ice. Contrary to him, McCarthy didn't fight as much while with the Rangers, but he was on the ice for 10+ minutes per night and no monkey business was going on while he was out there and there were less Rangers getting run. It's sometimes how the coach uses the player that makes him a deterrent.

Thx Fletch...

Grimson had Langdons number. I guess it was the reach, or size or whatever, but Langdonb really struggled with that guy.

I remember sometime around Messier night, MSG did a show on Mess. And, Graves was speaking about what kind of a person he was. He said when he got word that the team signed a kid out of Newfoundland, that he volunteered to pick the guy up. With that, Langdon literally got off the plane in a piar of blue jean overalls! Messier drove him to his hotel, and then bought the guy a pair of new suits which were delivered to the guys room on gameday. Pretty classy move by the cap there!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
Sandy has no business being on this list. There was a list of better fighters than him.

Mark Hardy
David Shaw
Ron Greshner
Jay Wells
Lindy Ruff
Patterson
Mark Janssens

like Beukeboom they were not pure fighters but they would not back down to anyone and would make sure noone gave our guys a rough ride...

Troy Mallette would have gone in the goon category.
Kocur was past his prime when he came, Nilan was embarrassingly past it
so I would have to go with

Fotiu
Domi
Kocur
Poeshek
Beck

would be the top 5!
London, you are kidding about some of those names on there aren't you?

More specifically Hardy, Shaw and Ruff? Shaw and Ruff were both punching bags. Not sure if either of them ever won a fight in a Rangers uniform.

Wells was a damn good fighter, and IMO very underrated. But, he came to NY at the tail end of his career.

Paterson was very good, but his career was too short lived here.

Was always a big fan of Jannsens. He lost more than he won though, but he took on all comes.

But onto Sandy, he is way ahead of all of those guys. Not even close. At times McCarthy enforced on his own terms, but he still had the way better fight card than those guys, and defeated much better fighters than any of the list you put on there.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote