HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sbisa has been reassigned (Feb. 2, 2009 -- post #176 with quotes)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2009, 11:52 AM
  #76
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,044
vCash: 500
Sbisa didn't get sent down yet, so it's time to question Holmgren as our GM? Give me a break. Oh, and contrary to you posting it all over the place one thousand times, there was nothing wrong with the Alberts trade

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:01 PM
  #77
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,429
vCash: 5602
I've questioned him for a while, I was never part of the 'Paul Holmgren is a genius' gravy train that's been on this board. I know why and where it came from, but Holmgren even acknowledged himself that the team was fortunate to make the playoffs last year. He said this past off-season would be challenging than in 2007. The off season was average at best, and then backed himself into a corner during the season.

The Alberts trade as a panic trade, that's why I call it that. It would be different if he didn't freak out over guys being injured and not doing dumb things like trading for Eminger, drafting the wrong goalie, and then not using the farm system. It's a mess that he's still cleaning up. Trading for Alberts might cost this team 3 players off the roster, in addition to the draft pick we give up, so tell me how that's worth it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:10 PM
  #78
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,044
vCash: 500
Go ahead and explain how Alberts is going to cost the team 3 roster players. Or, even better, 3 players who he is not an upgrade over. The Alberts trade was an upgrade. Period. He has improved the team and brought something that no one in our system has.

Holmgren isn't perfect. No kidding. However, since he got here he has done nothing but put our team in an excellent position to win now, and in the future without killing our chances later.

Is Sbisa a mistake? Maybe, maybe not. The season isn't over yet.

Eminger was a gamble. But honestly not a very costly one. We gave away a 1st round pick which isn't as valuable as people around here make it seem, but jumped up to grab Bourdon. We still obtained Carle out of the ordeal, so big whoop, Emigner didn't work out. No big loss.

I have no clue what you are talking about drafting the wrong goalie.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:22 PM
  #79
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,429
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I have no clue what you are talking about drafting the wrong goalie.

Markstrom > DeSerres. At least on early returns.


If they didn't trade for Alberts they could keep Giroux, Sbisa if they wanted to, and whoever would take the place of Kukkonen when he is gone. Perhaps a deadline acquisition.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:44 PM
  #80
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Markstrom > DeSerres. At least on early returns.


If they didn't trade for Alberts they could keep Giroux, Sbisa if they wanted to, and whoever would take the place of Kukkonen when he is gone. Perhaps a deadline acquisition.
Alberts > Jones

Reason we got Alberts was cause we started the season off 0-3-3. thats not really impressive if you ask me. We needed a change and a quick fix, that WORKED, happened to be Alberts. Id rather keep Alberts then Jones.

EDIT: Also I would have been totally happy not trading the 1st and picking Markstrom, even though we had no idea Homer would have chosen Markstrom. He took a gamble and lost with Eminger. Nothing we could have done.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:51 PM
  #81
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,429
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Alberts > Jones

Reason we got Alberts was cause we started the season off 0-3-3. thats not really impressive if you ask me. We needed a change and a quick fix, that WORKED, happened to be Alberts. Id rather keep Alberts then Jones.
We were 0-2 when we traded for Alberts. His play has been fine, but when you bench his best partner, it kind of takes off a bit from his play, especially having to cover for Jones' mistakes. It's not bringing in Alberts, it's how it was went about.

Quote:
EDIT: Also I would have been totally happy not trading the 1st and picking Markstrom, even though we had no idea Homer would have chosen Markstrom. He took a gamble and lost with Eminger. Nothing we could have done.
Actually, there was something we could have done. Taken our draft pick and wait until July 1. There was a good chance Eminger wasn't getting qualified, and if we wanted him bad enough, I'm sure he would have signed an offer sheet.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:02 PM
  #82
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
We were 0-2 when we traded for Alberts. His play has been fine, but when you bench his best partner, it kind of takes off a bit from his play, especially having to cover for Jones' mistakes. It's not bringing in Alberts, it's how it was went about.



Actually, there was something we could have done. Taken our draft pick and wait until July 1. There was a good chance Eminger wasn't getting qualified, and if we wanted him bad enough, I'm sure he would have signed an offer sheet.
Well we were kind of short on defenseman. We lost Smith, Hatch was hurt, we had no idea Sbisa would come and play and I cant remember but was Jones and Parent injured at the time? So we had legitimately 2 of the past 6 starting defenseman. Kuks is not a starting defenseman. Only here on HF do people think he deserves to start. He's a good #7, MAYBE #6 sometimes. Homer needed to do something. He could have traded away our future for a average/good defenseman or trade a first round pick, which he already had another one, for a defenseman he thought could turn it around. Homer then went out and got Ossi, which was ALSO a flip of the coin. We had no idea how Ossi would play. We needed defenders though, plain and simple. Homer isnt a magician. He does some good things, and does some bad, like ALL GM's do.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:25 PM
  #83
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,429
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well we were kind of short on defenseman. We lost Smith, Hatch was hurt, we had no idea Sbisa would come and play and I cant remember but was Jones and Parent injured at the time? So we had legitimately 2 of the past 6 starting defenseman. Kuks is not a starting defenseman. Only here on HF do people think he deserves to start. He's a good #7, MAYBE #6 sometimes. Homer needed to do something. He could have traded away our future for a average/good defenseman or trade a first round pick, which he already had another one, for a defenseman he thought could turn it around. Homer then went out and got Ossi, which was ALSO a flip of the coin. We had no idea how Ossi would play. We needed defenders though, plain and simple. Homer isnt a magician. He does some good things, and does some bad, like ALL GM's do.
He also could have just let guys on the Phantoms have a chance, like everyone else does. Did the Penguins go out and hurry themselves to make a trade when they found out they wouldn't have Whitney and Gonchar to start the season? No, they let their kids play. They found something in Alex Goligolski that they didn't really know they had. The Bruins had Matt Hunwick when they needed to use him. Montreal has been using their farm system all season. Use your farm system. That IS what they're there for. If they aren't good enough to fill in because of injuries, then that's the fault of the GM for not having guys in the organization he trusts to play (when he is the one who brought them here). This isn't 'every GM makes mistakes' these are basic principles of running your own hockey team.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:26 PM
  #84
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
If they didn't trade for Alberts they could keep Giroux, Sbisa if they wanted to, and whoever would take the place of Kukkonen when he is gone. Perhaps a deadline acquisition.
1. Giroux is still on the roster. It's in no way determined that he will be a cap casualty when Briere gets back

2. Alberts is the replacement for Kukkonen. And he's better, for 400k more. We don't need to carry 8 defensemen.

3. Perhaps Jones is traded later when Briere returns. Then Sbisa AND Kukkonen can remain on our roster. The team does not need to make any transactions for quite some time, and you can't declare a loss before you even see how it plays out.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:33 PM
  #85
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
He also could have just let guys on the Phantoms have a chance, like everyone else does. Did the Penguins go out and hurry themselves to make a trade when they found out they wouldn't have Whitney and Gonchar to start the season?
And the Penguins are out of the playoffs. Good thing they didn't make a move.

Quote:
No, they let their kids play. They found something in Alex Goligolski that they didn't really know they had.
That's false. Alex Goligoski was a great prospect from the start. He's always been better than anything we currently have at our disposal on the Phantoms roster.

Quote:
Use your farm system. That IS what they're there for. If they aren't good enough to fill in because of injuries, then that's the fault of the GM for not having the right guys in the organization. This isn't 'every GM makes mistakes' these are basic principles of running your own hockey team.
Its no secret the Flyers have had trouble developing and drafting defensemen. It looks like Holmgren has done a better job drafting defense with Sbisa, Marshall, Bourdon, etc over the past couple years. Before that, he wasn't our GM. He had a role before with the organization, but drafting and developing isn't exactly the job of one person. Besides, players like Nodl, Powe, and Kalinski have been excellent injury call ups for the Flyers. They didn't have someone on D they were comfortable with at the moment. That's the way cookie crumbled. Let's not pretend that every organization has a plethora of NHL ready defensemen sitting in the AHL

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:35 PM
  #86
Get Carter
Registered User
 
Get Carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He also could have just let guys on the Phantoms have a chance, like everyone else does. Did the Penguins go out and hurry themselves to make a trade when they found out they wouldn't have Whitney and Gonchar to start the season? No, they let their kids play. They found something in Alex Goligolski that they didn't really know they had. The Bruins had Matt Hunwick when they needed to use him. Montreal has been using their farm system all season. Use your farm system. That IS what they're there for. If they aren't good enough to fill in because of injuries, then that's the fault of the GM for not having guys in the organization he trusts to play (when he is the one who brought them here). This isn't 'every GM makes mistakes' these are basic principles of running your own hockey team.
Why are trades ever made if GMs should think like this?

Also, the Penguins did trade for a defenseman earlier this year. Also, they currently do not have a playoff spot.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:36 PM
  #87
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He also could have just let guys on the Phantoms have a chance, like everyone else does. Did the Penguins go out and hurry themselves to make a trade when they found out they wouldn't have Whitney and Gonchar to start the season? No, they let their kids play. They found something in Alex Goligolski that they didn't really know they had. The Bruins had Matt Hunwick when they needed to use him. Montreal has been using their farm system all season. Use your farm system. That IS what they're there for. If they aren't good enough to fill in because of injuries, then that's the fault of the GM for not having guys in the organization he trusts to play (when he is the one who brought them here). This isn't 'every GM makes mistakes' these are basic principles of running your own hockey team.
Give me a break dude. Goligoski was a highly touted prospect, had 3 great years with Minnesota, had a great year in the AHL, and then absolutely dominated in the playoffs plus a nice 3 game cameo with the Pens.

We had absolutely nothing even close to that in our system.

Holmgren has had 2 drafts with the team and you want to excoriate him already for not having enough d-men in the system?

Plus, he turned the Eminger move into a hugely positive asset in Carle who has helped turn around our season.

Who is helping out their teams the most right now, Jacob Markstrom, Steve Downie, or Matt Carle?

Carle by a freaking longshot. Markstrom has had a great half-season, but now everybody wants to turn him into the next Lundqvist which is premature to say the least.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:50 PM
  #88
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,429
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
1. Giroux is still on the roster. It's in no way determined that he will be a cap casualty when Briere gets back
It's unlikely there is enough room for him, it will be tight.

Quote:
2. Alberts is the replacement for Kukkonen. And he's better, for 400k more. We don't need to carry 8 defensemen.
On the contrary, you do need to have 8 defensemen. Ask Simon Gagne, I'm sure he remembers the 2004 playoffs well when the Flyers dumped Chris Therien ( ) and Eric Weinrich (in a non-cap era mind you, it's not like they were backed into a corner) and because of injuries Ken Hitchcock was using 5 defensemen and Sami Kapanen in the playoffs because he didn't trust Dennis Seidenberg (for somewhat good reason). Ask the 2006 Buffalo Sabres how many defensemen you need, I think Toni Lydman and Brian Campbell played 35 minutes a piece in that Game 7 vs. Carolina because they were down to their 10th defenseman.

As for Alberts and Kukkonen, let's be real and put aside everything this season for Kukkonen. Stevens refused to use Kukkonen last year until he absolutely had to. Knowing that, there is no reason Kukkonen should have been here to begin with. Why are there guys on your roster you refuse to use? Right or wrong, there is no excuse for that. Holmgren took Vandermeer away from Stevens when he was being used TOO much, why did he keep a guy on the team that wasn't being used at all?

Quote:
3. Perhaps Jones is traded later when Briere returns. Then Sbisa AND Kukkonen can remain on our roster. The team does not need to make any transactions for quite some time, and you can't declare a loss before you even see how it plays out.
Kukkonen wouldn't be getting waived if he was sticking around. For his faults, I'd still rather have Jones over Sbisa when the chips are down, for this season. Only because I don't believe Sbisa will hold up as the season goes on, he wasn't even holding up 2 months into the season. You know they both love Jones, they did pound their chests in the off season when Jones had a 30 point season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Give me a break dude. Goligoski was a highly touted prospect, had 3 great years with Minnesota, had a great year in the AHL, and then absolutely dominated in the playoffs plus a nice 3 game cameo with the Pens.
The contributions Goligolski has given the Penguins this season are far beyond expectations.

Quote:
We had absolutely nothing even close to that in our system.
Which is the fault of....

Quote:
Holmgren has had 2 drafts with the team and you want to excoriate him already for not having enough d-men in the system?
It's not about the draft. It's about the players. They were fine with Rory Fitzpatrick last year, a guy who has always been over his head in the NHL, but won't use Nate Guenin who we've heard for 2 years is NHL ready.

Quote:
Plus, he turned the Eminger move into a hugely positive asset in Carle who has helped turn around our season.

Who is helping out their teams the most right now, Jacob Markstrom, Steve Downie, or Matt Carle?

Carle by a freaking longshot. Markstrom has had a great half-season, but now everybody wants to turn him into the next Lundqvist which is premature to say the least.

They could have had both Markstrom (if that was in fact the route they were going) and Carle. Somehow, I doubt Eminger was the sticking point in that trade. They DID say Carle has always been a guy they looked at (funny how we always have to trade for them instead of drafting them ourselves). I'm sure Randy Jones could have been worked into that trade. I've gone through the other options Holmgren had regardless of Markstrom in a previous thread a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
Why are trades ever made if GMs should think like this?

Also, the Penguins did trade for a defenseman earlier this year. Also, they currently do not have a playoff spot.
They also traded one off of their roster for him. They also did have a playoff spot before Whitney came back. They will be in the playoffs this year as well.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:52 PM
  #89
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The contributions Goligolski has given the Penguins this season are far beyond expectations.
If we had a Goligoski in out system (Phantoms), do you really think they sign Jones...and more importantly, trade for Alberts?

I could be wrong, but I always thought Goligoski was a legitimate prospect for the Penguins.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/alex_goligoski

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:59 PM
  #90
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
If we had a Goligoski in out system (Phantoms), do you really think they sign Jones...and more importantly, trade for Alberts?

I could be wrong, but I always thought Goligoski was a legitimate prospect for the Penguins.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/alex_goligoski
To me, Alberts is a lot more important than Jones, so I'm just throwing that out there...I'd rather have Alberts than Jones (not even looking at their cap hits). Alberts brings to the team more of what we need right now.

And yes, Goligoski was always a pretty good prospect. No one should be stunned that he was very solid this year.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 02:01 PM
  #91
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
If hes not dressed for the Flyers, Id rather he plays in Juniors. I just want him to play.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 02:03 PM
  #92
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The contributions Goligolski has given the Penguins this season are far beyond expectations.
How to put this nicely? Umm......NO. I personally was expecting a 30-35 point year out of him if he stayed up the whole year, he's on pace for 32.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Which is the fault of....
Dude, he's literally been the GM for 2 years, he's had 2 drafts, that's not enough time for anything. In his time with us so far, Holmgren has already drafted JVR who is a top-3 prospect, Marshall who is a very solid prospect, Kempe who is pretty interesting, Maroon who looks like a steal, Kalinski who looks like he could be a solid role player, and Phillips who is an N/A right now.

Then in 2008, he gets Sbisa who looks like a steal, Bourdon who is the best d-man in the Q apparently, and Ericsson who's interesting.

The mistakes so far would be Klotz and probably DeSerres.

You are crying a river over somebody who has never played North American hockey.

And what the hell do Fitzpatrick and Guenin have to do with anything whatsoever?

Also, explain to me how we would have traded for Carle without Eminger. Show me honest assets.

Would you have wanted to trade Giroux for Carle? Coburn maybe?

You and Jester both have this problem. You go on a whine rampage about something (although his usually make more sense) and then don't propose any concrete alternative solution.

You can't just say, "well, we could have traded for Carle anyways."

Tell me who we would have traded, would you have liked to deal Upshall for him? I don't think TB even looks twice at that before saying no.


Also, for all the crying about Markstrom, Detroit took McCollum over him, so where does that put Ken Holland?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 02:05 PM
  #93
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,429
vCash: 5602
I never said Goligolski wasn't a legit prospect. I watched Minnesota a lot, and I watched him a lot. What I said was that for what they expected of him this season was beyond what they expected from him THIS season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 02:29 PM
  #94
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Also, for all the crying about Markstrom, Detroit took McCollum over him, so where does that put Ken Holland?
Excellent point.

Holmgren can be criticized for some things, but GKJ is picking all of the wrong ones to run with

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 02:44 PM
  #95
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,429
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
How to put this nicely? Umm......NO. I personally was expecting a 30-35 point year out of him if he stayed up the whole year, he's on pace for 32.
That's hard to believe since he wasn't even supposed to start the season as a regular defenseman had Whitney and Gonchar been healthy



Quote:
Dude, he's literally been the GM for 2 years, he's had 2 drafts, that's not enough time for anything.
He's run the draft for much longer than that. Was he not director of player development or one of those titles? While it was ultimately Clarke's show, being the assistant GM, that's kind of one of the places where he's supposed to make his waves.

Quote:
In his time with us so far, Holmgren has already drafted JVR who is a top-3 prospect,
I sure hope so since he was the 2nd pick in the draft.

Quote:
Marshall who is a very solid prospect, Kempe who is pretty interesting, Maroon who looks like a steal, Kalinski who looks like he could be a solid role player, and Phillips who is an N/A right now.
Those are fine. My quip is on defensemen. He's used forwards from the Phantoms all season.

Quote:
Then in 2008, he gets Sbisa who looks like a steal, Bourdon who is the best d-man in the Q apparently, and Ericsson who's interesting.
That's fine too.

Quote:
The mistakes so far would be Klotz and probably DeSerres.
I won't comment on Klotz, it was a wasted pick. You don't have to draft goons, but I don't get on him about that. However, on DeSerres, when your system is devoid of a great prospect, that's a rather large miss considering the circumstances of how we got him.

Quote:
You are crying a river over somebody who has never played North American hockey.
What? Everyone on the current roster played in North America last season aside from Ossi Vaananen, who did in the past.

Quote:
And what the hell do Fitzpatrick and Guenin have to do with anything whatsoever?
That there was once a time where AHL defensemen were used when needed.

Quote:
Also, explain to me how we would have traded for Carle without Eminger. Show me honest assets.

Would you have wanted to trade Giroux for Carle? Coburn maybe? [/quote]

Eminger has a different contract, which is a significant factor, however, I'm sure it could be worked out. I'm sure it was Downie the Lighting were after. If the Flyers wanted to add Jones, I'm sure it could have been worked out. Barry Melrose said in a later interview that they didn't even know what they were getting in Eminger, until he had dinner the night after the trade with someone in our organization (might have been one of the announcers, I forget) told him.

Quote:
You and Jester both have this problem. You go on a whine rampage about something (although his usually make more sense) and then don't propose any concrete alternative solution.
I proposed alternative solutions all season. Jester is an English scholar (I think) and I am partially dyslexic so I'm sure he comes across much better than I do while I sometimes have to edit posts 3 and 4 times. Call it a rant or rampage, but I don't think it's too much to ask to have a defenseman or two who can play for the Phantoms and Flyers in the same season without having to pass waivers or be on conditioning assignments. However, I've only gone on this rampage because every syllable has been argued (and I'm not saying you and everyone else have not made valid points, this isn't 'I think I'm right on everything, and you're wrong on everything' it's simply how I have and do see it).

Quote:
You can't just say, "well, we could have traded for Carle anyways."

Tell me who we would have traded, would you have liked to deal Upshall for him? I don't think TB even looks twice at that before saying no.
Jones?

Quote:
Also, for all the crying about Markstrom, Detroit took McCollum over him, so where does that put Ken Holland?
Sub any time I mentioned Markstrom for McCollum and the point still stands. McCollum has a bad WJC, but has had a great season. With that said, how many Stanley Cups has Ken Holland won? It's interesting how the same teams always get the draft right. Holmgren - as the GM - has done the draft better than Clarke did, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Excellent point.

Holmgren can be criticized for some things, but GKJ is picking all of the wrong ones to run with
Are there right ones? I think I covered all the bases . I covered mismanaging the cap, not using the farm system, throwing Sbisa into the deep end of the pool, and the Steve Eminger episode. I don't feel like having the coaching debate, the JVR-UNH debate, the Kukkonen debate or the goalie debate today.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 02:55 PM
  #96
Get Carter
Registered User
 
Get Carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
To summarize:

Overlooking the fact that this team went to an ECF and currently sits 2 points out of first place with a game in hand a year removed from being dead last in the league, Holmgren has been awful.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 02:56 PM
  #97
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Are there right ones? I think I covered all the bases . I covered mismanaging the cap, not using the farm system, throwing Sbisa into the deep end of the pool, and the Steve Eminger episode. I don't feel like having the coaching debate, the JVR-UNH debate, the Kukkonen debate or the goalie debate today.
Arguing about picking up Alberts who has played well for us at 1.2 million is rather trivial. The contracts handed out to Jones, Lupul, and Briere however, are not. Ripping the GM for not developing a defensemen fast enough in 2 years for the Phantoms is a bit picky too. Any AHL player who would be worth calling up (and not subject to waivers) would likely be drafted by us... and typically expecting drafted players to be NHL ready in 2 years is an unrealistic expectation.

You're getting somewhere with the coach, but i understand not getting into that again

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:11 PM
  #98
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,429
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Arguing about picking up Alberts who has played well for us at 1.2 million is rather trivial. The contracts handed out to Jones, Lupul, and Briere however, are not. Ripping the GM for not developing a defensemen fast enough in 2 years for the Phantoms is a bit picky too. Any AHL player who would be worth calling up (and not subject to waivers) would likely be drafted by us... and typically expecting drafted players to be NHL ready in 2 years is an unrealistic expectation.

You're getting somewhere with the coach, but i understand not getting into that again
I'm not talking about simply drafting. He traded Potulny for Syvret. Potulny -- had chances...couldn't hack it. Syvret...does not.

Oskars Bartulis (who seems like he's been a prospect for 5 or 6 years now)...does not get a shot.

Guenin had one but it was in the dark year. Actually made the team out of camp in 2007

These are 3 guys on the Phantoms, whose draft years were more than 2 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
To summarize:

Overlooking the fact that this team went to an ECF and currently sits 2 points out of first place with a game in hand a year removed from being dead last in the league, Holmgren has been awful.
Overlooking that when the Flyers finished their 81st game, they had yet to clinch a playoff spot. Oh how we forget.


I didn't say awful, I said made enough questionable decisions to be worth questioning. Bob Clarke was considered 'great' by Ed Snider (and a select few) as well. For further comments, I direct you to earlier posts.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
  #99
Get Carter
Registered User
 
Get Carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I'm not talking about simply drafting. He traded Potulny for Syvret. Potulny -- had chances...couldn't hack it. Syvret...does not.

Oskars Bartulis (who seems like he's been a prospect for 5 or 6 years now)...does not get a shot.

Guenin had one but it was in the dark year. Actually made the team out of camp in 2007

These are 3 guys on the Phantoms, whose draft years were more than 2 years ago.



Overlooking that when the Flyers finished their 81st game, they had yet to clinch a playoff spot. Oh how we forget.



I didn't say awful, I said made enough questionable decisions to be worth questioning. Bob Clarke was considered 'great' by Ed Snider (and a select few) as well. For further comments, I direct you to earlier posts.
What does that matter? To expect any team to make the ECF, let alone the playoffs, a year removed from being dead last in the league is a huge stretch.

And it's not like it was a fluke or a one year wonder either. This team has a bright future. For all of the good things that this team has, it's extremely unfair to pretend everything fell into the general manager's lap.

Edit: I don't know what the last part of your post means.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:26 PM
  #100
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,429
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
What does that matter? To expect any team to make the ECF, let alone the playoffs, a year removed from being dead last in the league is a huge stretch.

And it's not like it was a fluke or a one year wonder either. This team has a bright future. For all of the good things that this team has, it's extremely unfair to pretend everything fell into the general manager's lap.
It matters because that's how small the margin of error is.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.