HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Streit in Montréal

Old
01-26-2009, 08:17 AM
WeberStreit

vCash: 500
Streit in Montréal

I thought some of you might be intrested in that:

Quote:
STREIT STILL A FAN FAVORITE IN MONTREAL

Even though the weather outside in Montreal Friday was cold and snowy, the temperature inside was warm and comfortable wherever Islanders defenseman Mark Streit appeared.

The day’s activities began with Streit visiting his old stomping grounds with Swiss National TV, which is following the Islanders All-Star throughout the weekend. The first stop was Café Pesto, a quaint little Italian restaurant just a 5 to 10 minute walk from the Bell Centre. When he first approached the front door it was locked, but once owner Guerrino Massironi saw who was at the door, it couldn’t have opened quicker and warm greetings and memories were shared for a good 30-45 minutes in between tapings with Swiss Television.

The next stop provided one of the more memorable moments of the day when Streit stopped by his old apartment building and surprised a special friend. Ronald Michel, who was busy checking in a tenant’s car, nearly dropped to his knees, before grabbing and hugging Streit—practically lifting him off the ground. Michel is probably the biggest Mark Streit fan, and explained that it’s because of how Mark is off the ice first.

“Mark is a fine person and class act,” said Michel. “This visit made my day and I can’t begin to tell you what it meant to me seeing him again.”

Streit returned the high praise for Michel.

“He is a very caring and special person and always took care of anything I needed especially when I was away on road trips,” said Streit. “It was great to see him again and it’s always fun catching up. He always used to give me tips on my game.”

It became a chore to leave his old building, because people kept stopping and chatting with him especially Mamy Shahanghi, President of the MBCO sandwich shop right next door to the apartment building. Shahanghi’s reaction was similar to that of Michel’s earlier in the day. He insisted Streit and company to stop in and have a bite.

Mark headed back to the hotel, where he met his parents who flew from Switzerland to see their son, and first ever Swiss player participate in the 2009 NHL All-Star festivities.
http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=406108

And here is the video of the swiss national television (left side: "1 verwandtes Video):

http://www.sf.tv/sfsport/artikel.php...id=20090126-02

Edit: Best thing in the video is, as they ask him what his goals are for the Skill Competition. Mark answers: " I just hope I don't fall down"

Last edited by WeberStreit: 01-26-2009 at 08:42 AM.
WeberStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:03 AM
smon

Streit's a good guy. Loved playing in Montreal, that's for sure. I read something where he was asked about Carbonneau saying that the team missed him on the powerplay, and he said it was an honour for Carbo to say that.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
The next stop provided one of the more memorable moments of the day when Streit stopped by his old apartment building and surprised a special friend. Ronald Michel, who was busy checking in a tenant’s car, nearly dropped to his knees, before grabbing and hugging Streit—practically lifting him off the ground. Michel is probably the biggest Mark Streit fan, and explained that it’s because of how Mark is off the ice first.
now I know natey's name!

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Judge Sauer*

One of the few guys that I miss playing on this team. Him and Souray I will miss, but not make a big deal about.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Cool story,I always liked Streit,great person always did what he was told and never made a big deal out of it,class act

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:32 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Streit is very classy and took his chance to make the big $ when he could.
Too bad for him the money was more important than winning.
Oh well at least he will have long summers to spend that money.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:35 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:50 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Hardly the first and won't be the last though, will he? The difference between 4 and a half million and 2 million is pretty big. I know, to us fans, getting millions a year to play sports seems like it should be enough, but rich people got rich tastes

Old
01-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Hardly the first and won't be the last though, will he? The difference between 4 and a half million and 2 million is pretty big. I know, to us fans, getting millions a year to play sports seems like it should be enough, but rich people got rich tastes

agree.

Streit was always class and he did the smart thing. If anyone of us here was offered 2 million and another job offers your $4.25 million i think 99.9 percent know what you would do .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Fire Brunet*

Le défonseur is such a nice guy

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:00 AM
gillyguzzler

I understood and agreed with the reasoning that Streit, while important to the PP and transition game, was a liabilitiy on defense. However, is Brisebois really an upgrade defensively? I like Brisebois as a person and as a fill in defenseman once in a while, but the Brisebois-Bouillon pairing is not up to par and not better than a Streit-Bouillon pairing with Streit running the PP. In Gainey's defense, who knew that no one in the lineup would be able to man the right point effectively, or at least that Carbo wouldn't put the right player there.... AK46 maybe

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
Le défonseur is such a nice guy
I wish i could speak german, french and english.. ok i should have just said german..

he is seriously a great individual. i was so pissed he left.. imagine a duo of streit and Jorges.. would have been great.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:28 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
I wish i could speak german, french and english.. ok i should have just said german..

he is seriously a great individual. i was so pissed he left.. imagine a duo of streit and Jorges.. would have been great.
do you not remember his disappearing act in the playoffs last year ? when the games get rough Streit kind of disappears.

Old
01-26-2009, 10:33 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
do you not remember his disappearing act in the playoffs last year ? when the games get rough Streit kind of disappears.
He was playing hurt. And it was his first NHL playoffs. And he wasn't the only Hab to pull a disappearing act last year...

Streit rocks. Too bad he couldn't stay with us but I'm happy he's proving the naysayers wrong on Long Island.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:38 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
The guy was injured, is it so hard to understand ? If, that's all you can think of, I'm very sorry for you.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:48 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Ouragan16 View Post
The guy was injured, is it so hard to understand ? If, that's all you can think of, I'm very sorry for you.
what, why would you feel sorry for me? i don't get this, i just stated a fact about Streit, oh yeah i forgot he couldn't play defense so we had to play him on the fourth line. he has 35 points which of 22 are pp points, he is still a - defenseman.
5 on 5 he has 13 points. i will admit he is a good PP defenseman, but 5/5 not so.

Old
01-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Marksman

Streit has been better defensively this year ... hes minus-3 with Isles, but thats actually best rating among regular players there. Too bad Habs couldnt afford him.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
I won't lie, I miss Streit....but, if seeing the All-Star game made me miss ANYONE, it's Sheldon Souray

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:54 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
what, why would you feel sorry for me? i don't get this, i just stated a fact about Streit, oh yeah i forgot he couldn't play defense so we had to play him on the fourth line. he has 35 points which of 22 are pp points, he is still a - defenseman.
5 on 5 he has 13 points. i will admit he is a good PP defenseman, but 5/5 not so.
Haha.. wow. Go read posts from Islanders fans.. they love him. Not only does he score, but he's decent in his own end. A -3 rating on the Islanders is incredible.. look at the rest of the team, especially when he plays the most minutes.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I won't lie, I miss Streit....but, if seeing the All-Star game made me miss ANYONE, it's Sheldon Souray
maybe Sheldon will come back for the last few years ( end of his contract in Edmonton) and go out a Hab.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:12 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Che veux chouer a la defense.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Che veux chouer a la defense.
Mar Streit > Josh Gorges >> Francis Bouillon, Mathieu Dandenault, Patrice Brisebois, Ryan O'Byrne !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 04:36 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Yeah, I agree. I also saw something on youtube where Souray knocked out Matthias Ohlund for cheapshotting Erik Cole. Great guy to have on your team.

Old
01-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Habs

Why does BG hate good dmen, and bring in overpaid pickleads in return?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 04:51 PM
xduckiex

Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the main reason he left was because he wanted a perminant spot on defense but they wouldn't give it to him. On the Islanders he got not only a pay raise but to play full time defense. I don't blame him for signing there, he got what he wanted. He's still one of my favorites and I'm glad he's doing well this season.

xduckiex is offline   Reply With Quote