HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovy's wheels

Old
01-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Toro

vCash: 500
sorry for highjacking the thread, but i could not resist when i saw that the free car was a honda.

anywho, back to hockey. or back to kovy's gift to charity.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 04:18 PM
3hirty6ix

They are the "official car" of the NHL though.

3hirty6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 04:33 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Half a Million for a box?..that seems a whole lot.

Damn i can't wait to be a millionaire!
I think that was for 3 years...sorry for the confusion...still a major hit on the donation line...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I'd give away that piece of junk too. Why any canadian or American would buy an overseas car in this day and age is beyond me. I can understand if you want to buy a rolls royce or something like that but an everyday automobile?

Yes I work at Chryslers and yes i want to keep my job. Thats why my plant in Windsor is one of the best quality and profitable factories anywhere. We work our butts off to make great cars and change people's perceptions about North American built cars.

If the reason to buy a car is quality, then look no further than Chryslers cause our quality is up there with the best of them. Our lineup is the best ever.

With everyone wondering what they can do to help our economy, try to buy goods made in Canada or the US. I know it is difficult to find products made here but it really helps. We have done this to ourselves by buying overseas products to the point that most products are made elsewhere now and we have an ever so shrinking supply of good paying full time manufacturing jobs.

We as a nation should demand higher minimum wages for hard working adults trying to raise a family. No Person over 30 working full time in this country should make less than $15-$20 an hour.

Places like Mc Donalds should be forced to pay their employees much more as they make their billions of dollars on us while supplying us with crappy food.

Our economy needs more high paying manufacturing jobs not less.

If we keep losing our manufacturing sector in this country there will be no getting it back. We will become a nation with Natural resources and little else. And in the next 10 years when oil becomes less and less needed as we start to drive hybrids and all electric cars, our economy will take another huge blow.

Start buying domestic products!!

rant rant
You sound like a politician.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 04:46 PM
RushDP

Quote:
sorry for highjacking the thread, but i could not resist when i saw that the free car was a honda.

anywho, back to hockey. or back to kovy's gift to charity.
I support buying domestic goods because you can be sure other countries do the same. It only makes sense.

Where i think your rant is wrong is that by not buying an Accord you are putting somebody else out of a job as they are made here as well. If you are saying that you want people to buy Canadian then buying from Honda Canada does that. If you are saying that the money goes back to Japan then similarly the money will go back to the US if it is a Chrysler product right?

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
I support buying domestic goods because you can be sure other countries do the same. It only makes sense.

Where i think your rant is wrong is that by not buying an Accord you are putting somebody else out of a job as they are made here as well. If you are saying that you want people to buy Canadian then buying from Honda Canada does that. If you are saying that the money goes back to Japan then similarly the money will go back to the US if it is a Chrysler product right?
sort of.

The US economy and our own are really linked together, as we trade with them the most. Most of the North American companies that manufacture goods have facilities in both countries so buying american goods is the next best thing to buying canadian goods.

Personally i understand that a lot of people have their view of things cause of where they live, what job they have, how old they are, etc. But our economy is hurting cause we as a nation have let it get to this point and i see no recovery in sight unless the government puts taxes and or tariffs on imported manufactured goods that we already make here. Anything else, gets in free of these costs as we do not make it ourselves but it would promote business here, manufactoring, jobs, unrelated jobs as cities and towns rebound from the current state.

here i go again, this is not the thread for this talk so..

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Charley_5054

Send a message via MSN to Charley_5054
Great gesture by Kovalev to donate to charity, he really is one of the most generous athlete in all of sports.

Also... is there an award for most spectacular thread hijack ?

This one must be the winner

Charley_5054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Bialo Czerwoni

Quote:
I'd give away that piece of junk too. Why any canadian or American would buy an overseas car in this day and age is beyond me. I can understand if you want to buy a rolls royce or something like that but an everyday automobile?

Yes I work at Chryslers and yes i want to keep my job. Thats why my plant in Windsor is one of the best quality and profitable factories anywhere. We work our butts off to make great cars and change people's perceptions about North American built cars.

If the reason to buy a car is quality, then look no further than Chryslers cause our quality is up there with the best of them. Our lineup is the best ever.

With everyone wondering what they can do to help our economy, try to buy goods made in Canada or the US. I know it is difficult to find products made here but it really helps. We have done this to ourselves by buying overseas products to the point that most products are made elsewhere now and we have an ever so shrinking supply of good paying full time manufacturing jobs.

We as a nation should demand higher minimum wages for hard working adults trying to raise a family. No Person over 30 working full time in this country should make less than $15-$20 an hour.

Places like Mc Donalds should be forced to pay their employees much more as they make their billions of dollars on us while supplying us with crappy food.

If we keep losing our manufacturing sector in this country there will be no getting it back. We will become a nation with Natural resources and little else. And in the next 10 years when oil becomes less and less needed as we start to drive hybrids and all electric cars, our economy will take another huge blow.

rant rant
I remember when I was about 5 years old (1994) my dad bought a brand new Chrysler LeBaron and about 3 years after or so he had to open the hood and start it with a big ass screwdriver lol. On the other hand my aunt still has her 1990 Honda Accord and it works like a charm. Over the past 20 years the japanese built themselves an excellent reputation (Honda, Mazda, Nissan) its not our fault for wanting the best bang for the buck.

Bialo Czerwoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

rant rant
Either you are Buzz Hargrove or your union is taking more than money off the top. The best thing Chrysler could do for it's future is gift a Honda or Toyota to it's employees. Then they could see what a real car feels to drive, service, and re-sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
This is what I told my Mom would likely happen, right after he won it.

I'm sure he's got a better car than that. I doubt any player would actually keep it except possibly as a gift for a family member.
Dude, gross misconduct penalty for bringing a mom into this. Write something cool like "I told my gorgeous naked supermodel girlfriend what would likely happen".

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
sort of.

The US economy and our own are really linked together, as we trade with them the most. Most of the North American companies that manufacture goods have facilities in both countries so buying american goods is the next best thing to buying canadian goods.

Ridgeline is built in Alabama
Accord in Ohio
Civic in Ontario

What's your point?

Mine would be that Chrysler builds garbage and Honda builds good durable long lasting cars that are built in North America.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:34 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
sort of.

Personally i understand that a lot of people have their view of things cause of where they live, what job they have, how old they are, etc. But our economy is hurting cause we as a nation have let it get to this point and i see no recovery in sight unless the government puts taxes and or tariffs on imported manufactured goods that we already make here. Anything else, gets in free of these costs as we do not make it ourselves but it would promote business here, manufactoring, jobs, unrelated jobs as cities and towns rebound from the current state.

here i go again, this is not the thread for this talk so..
Protectionism isn't the way to solve a recession. That's what will create a depression (in fairness, one of several things). Quite seriously with the utmost respect and sincerity, please read up on the subject before you make calls to others to stop buying foreign products. I'm aware that your job could be on the line if people stop buying domestic products (notably cars) but digging ourselves a ditch to live in just to protect domestic industries that aren't efficient isn't a solution of any sort.

Here are a couple to get you started:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...120502609.html
http://www.economist.com/opinion/dis...15617&fsrc=rss

01-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Minor quibble.

The man's a Russian

Russia borders Japan, kinda!

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:39 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Minor quibble.

The man's a Russian

Russia borders Japan, kinda!
But can he SEE Japan from Russia? Now that would make him a maverick and they could just rename the eastern conference the Mavericks since they already have red jerseys. Enter lawsuit by Marc Cubban.

Ok, am I at least second in the highjacking race?

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:13 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Kovy is a great citizen and does not get enough praise for his humanitarianism.

I wanted to contribute to the highjack as well. My uncles were longtime GM workers and my family always bought GM and Chrysler until the early 90's. Basically every GM car we had would inevitably break down or have some sort of electrical problems. My father bought a Mazda and it was a great car for a number of years and never broke down, and I ended up driving it for 4 years after he gave it to me when he bought a new Honda.

I now own 2 Hondas and I couldn't be happier with them, while my cousins who still have to buy GM cars are constantly having problems and have gone through twice as many cars in the same amount of time as me. My 02 Civic I bought new in 01 has 210,000 km on it and nothing has gone wrong with the car, nothing.

If I could rely on the big 3 I would purchase their vehicles but everyone I know who owns one has problems, blame the automakers greed for the decline of the big 3 not the consumers who have to look out for their families, /rant.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:28 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Kovy is a great citizen and does not get enough praise for his humanitarianism.

I wanted to contribute to the highjack as well. My uncles were longtime GM workers and my family always bought GM and Chrysler until the early 90's. Basically every GM car we had would inevitably break down or have some sort of electrical problems. My father bought a Mazda and it was a great car for a number of years and never broke down, and I ended up driving it for 4 years after he gave it to me when he bought a new Honda.

I now own 2 Hondas and I couldn't be happier with them, while my cousins who still have to buy GM cars are constantly having problems and have gone through twice as many cars in the same amount of time as me. My 02 Civic I bought new in 01 has 210,000 km on it and nothing has gone wrong with the car, nothing.

If I could rely on the big 3 I would purchase their vehicles but everyone I know who owns one has problems, blame the automakers greed for the decline of the big 3 not the consumers who have to look out for their families, /rant.
Yeah IMO:

It's all about Honda 4 cylinder
It's all about Nissan v6
and it's all about Toyota anything.

Now a days much of Ford/Mazda are joint creations so I wouldn't trust mazda for **** now a days.

But yeah, my grandfather worked for ford for 35 years. My family always used to buy fords no matter what. We would get the "A-Plan" which basically means, choose your model of car type, and they give you all the options for the base price of the vehicle.

So obviously that's too good to pass up, that is until they make their $ back by the car being epic fail. I've had numerous problems with my ride since I got it about 1.25 years ago. (Ford Taurus SEL)

For one, the engine light went on right after I got it, maybe 2 weeks later. For two the airbag sensor is ****ed but I had it checked out and the airbags will go off if there is an accident. For three one time my window went down and wouldn't come back up, had to replace the actual power window mechanism. I've even had two flats that I don't know how they happened, could've just been due to hazardous roads or overusage of the tires.

Either way, american cars are garbage. I don't care if you bleed red white and blue and have the flag tattooed across your chest, do the right thing and buy a honda. You don't need the problems that a GM or Ford will get you. I know people who buy 500$ civics and spend like 500$ fixing them up and they run perfectly for like 1-2 years. I also know people who buy brand new cars from GM/Ford/Volkswagon and rue the day they did within a couple of months. (Even if it's still under warranty, it's still the inconvenience that is annoying)

By far the worst two for dealerships ****ing you over are Ford/Volks imo too. Anytime I bring my car to the dealership, there's also a new problem when I leave. Now for some reason, my jets for my anti-freeze do not work properly. As you can obviously guess, it's kind of annoying and obviously something I'd likely have to go back to the dealership for to get fixed right away. Also my windshield cracked for no apparent reason, obviously this is a road conditions thing, but I wouldn't be suprised to find out a design flaw allows this to happen more easily. Ford/Volks dealerships are by far the worst, at least where I live they are. And I remember hearing somebody on HF said they used to work for volkswagon as a customer support person or something and they even said that it's awful the type of stuff they turn people down on.

Bottom line, Honda/Nissan/Toyota ftw. I don't give 2 ***** if buying a ford stimulates the economy, me going broke with car repair bills certainly doesn't help it or myself either. Japanese cars are FAR superior.

After having numerous fords, I finally convinced my dad just to take a look at a civic. The very same day he walked out of there with a 2008 Civic Si 4dr. He loves it, the thing is a dream car. 650km per tank. He needs to use supreme. Oh well, still only costs him 20-25$ to fill up anyways.

They're more fuel efficient, they don't look like peices of garbage or have a ford logo on them, so far, their dealership has been awesome, I know because we've never had to go back there
On a serious note, my cousin has a civic 2 years older then my dads, just a regular one dx I believe, and she has had to bring it back once and the service was outstanding.

Honda parts are basically generic, they're cheap and always available and scrap parts are easy to come by due to the popularity of their vehicles. Maintaining a honda is a joke, and they really are the best value for the price. American car companies try to compete with their ****tily designed cheaper cars. The 5k you'll save buying a focus over a civic, you'll lose within the first 5 years and you're already taking a serious downgrade by choosing a focus over a civic in the first place.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Newhabfan

Ok, back on topic (that is hijacking this thread )

I was surprised last summer to hear that Kovy's foundation has managed to gather a large sum of money (DVD included) but that they did not do anything with it, and that the foundation itself did not even exist legally (they were intending to create it)

Was this just an ill intended rumour ? Does anyone know of any action made by Kovy's foundation ? Cause, you know, I can link many things that Koivu's foundation did....

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:38 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Ok, back on topic (that is hijacking this thread )

I was surprised last summer to hear that Kovy's foundation has managed to gather a large sum of money (DVD included) but that they did not do anything with it, and that the foundation itself did not even exist legally (they were intending to create it)

Was this just an ill intended rumour ? Does anyone know of any action made by Kovy's foundation ? Cause, you know, I can link many things that Koivu's foundation did....
From what I know, the money Kovalev raises goes to Gift of Life Russia, a part of Gift of Life International. Certainly the DVD money went to that foundation, anyway.

That early experience made Kovalev aware of the problems facing youngsters, particularly in less developed countries. He has been associated for many years with Gift of Life Foundation International, a group that promotes child health around the world.

"When I became involved, the mortality rate for children who were born with heart defects in Russia was very high," Kovalev said. "Gift of Life Russia raised money so that very young children could be brought to the United States or Canada for surgery they couldn't get at home. Since then, four clinics have been established in Russia."

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...a2c59a&k=38529

I'd be shocked if the money wasn't being put to good use.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
From what I know, the money Kovalev raises goes to Gift of Life Russia, a part of Gift of Life International. Certainly the DVD money went to that foundation, anyway.

That early experience made Kovalev aware of the problems facing youngsters, particularly in less developed countries. He has been associated for many years with Gift of Life Foundation International, a group that promotes child health around the world.

"When I became involved, the mortality rate for children who were born with heart defects in Russia was very high," Kovalev said. "Gift of Life Russia raised money so that very young children could be brought to the United States or Canada for surgery they couldn't get at home. Since then, four clinics have been established in Russia."

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...a2c59a&k=38529

I'd be shocked if the money wasn't being put to good use.
Well, on oct 1st the foundation was still unofficial.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...f-4f6a4ca98746

I'm not trying to dig for dirt, just to find if anyone has some reliable info on the topic.

I realise that neither Kovy or the doctor involved are trying to use the money in inadequate ways, and I also know firsthand that in the Eastern Europe charities sometimes have to go the "unofficial approach" in order to be effective if they wat to avoid being drowned in papers and "taxed".

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:55 PM
AK27fan

I know for a FACT that Kovy drives a Porsche Cayenne in the winter..I saw him driving it with is wife when I visited him...

AK27fan is offline   Reply With Quote