HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Anyone else felt bad for vinny this weekend?

Old
01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Anyone else felt bad for vinny this weekend?

Man, This guy literally got the same question asked like 600 times. The worst is when Scott Oak asked him about Montreal and rumors in the middle of the game!! What the hell was that?

Man I hope the media leaves him alone, that's all they talk about, what's going to happen is they are going to put so much hype on him coming to the habs that when he doesn't come here, the blame will fall on the organization for failing, it's really sad. It's going to be an EPIC FAIL!

From Tsn to Rds, from the Gazette to LaPresse, can we just let the situation play itself out without our constant involvment, it kind of ruins the whole ambience of a saga like this imo.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Mustafa*

I dont feel bad for players, i think you guys are exagerating the power of the medias over them. Personnaly i couldn't care less about the questions i would need ot answer.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:19 PM
lxzred

I wonder if people will start blaming Vinny, calling him an attention hog like they did with Sundin.

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Amputechture

I can understand why they do it...they are trying to get the big story about a huge player being rumored in a trade to montreal while in montreal...and I am sure that he was expecting this happening, but ya, it would be frustrating to be asked the exact same thing over and over.

Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
xduckiex

He looked very uncomfortable when asked about it and especially during his huge ovation.

xduckiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I dont feel bad for players, i think you guys are exagerating the power of the medias over them. Personnaly i couldn't care less about the questions i would need ot answer.
Why couldn't they just use the other 200 sound bites of him repeating himself, it was kind of useless, why can't they just let the player focus on hockey, it has to become a whole dramatic event, it's kind of stupid.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:37 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I don't feel bad for Vinny. He felt Awkward because MTL showed him the kind of passion and love that hes never seen before. Well he got a slap in the face, a dose of reality, and it is his job to fix his mistake by asking to come to MTL.

JHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Lebeau47

i kinna feel bad for him too cuz he probably just wanted to enjoy the weekend

however this is the life he choose to live, when there is a hot topic around especially which includes the player himself, the media have to ask him, if theres over 200 different media reps there, hell get asked it 200 different times, unfortunately especially if its a major media theres certain copyright laws and they cant just use soundbites from other stations

i dont feel bad for him because he is a great hockey player, he knows what he could bring to the habs and the city, and like so many people have said from pat burns to jean beliveau to guy lafleur, its time for him to step up and carry a real team and city on his back, became the great that he has the talent and personality to be

Lebeau47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:04 PM
SJSR

I heard on Team 990 this morning that he got a guided tour of the Bell Center ( as well as a few other all stars ) and he also got a guided tour of the Brossard training facility and was " Very Impressed "

SJSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:10 PM
schwartzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
I don't feel bad for Vinny. He felt Awkward because MTL showed him the kind of passion and love that hes never seen before. Well he got a slap in the face, a dose of reality, and it is his job to fix his mistake by asking to come to MTL.
amen.

schwartzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Krautso

I feel bad for Bob Gainey. I'm sure playing hard to get in the negotiations just got a little tougher after a 30 second ovation and endless media whoring this weekend. I hope he just passes on Vinny and focuses on a good veteran UFA D-man to give this team help where its actually needed.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Why feel sorry for the guy...he is a professional athlete who gets paid very well to be in the limelight which includes answering questions....poor Vinnie.....I really think he would wilt under the intense pressure he would have by playing here.....

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Why couldn't they just use the other 200 sound bites of him repeating himself, it was kind of useless, why can't they just let the player focus on hockey, it has to become a whole dramatic event, it's kind of stupid.
I agree on that point.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I think that Vincent Lecavalier saw this weekend how much it will be special, in a good way, for him to play for the Montreal Canadiens. He finally realised that Montreal was a perfect fit.

And, btw, i'm pretty sure that Vinny is thinking very hard about his futur.... well i hope so. I also hope that he'll demand a trade to montreal!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Fire Brunet*

The guy makes 10 millions a year.

I don't feel bad for him.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:38 PM
la25ecoupe

I wanted to put the mic into the guy's ass during his in game Vinny interview..

I don't know but cbc was doing too much useless interviewing during the game it was kinda distracting..

(i live yu alex)

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Moen in Glory
@MoeninGlory

Let's imagine another scenario.
2013 All-Star weekend in Vancouver. Carey Price is the starting goalie for the East. He just signed a 10 year contract with the habs.

And we habs fans have to watch 48 hours of BC journalists flirting with Price, the same way Montreal media acted with Vinny. And the crowd gives him a standing ovation, all canucks fans dreaming about the local phenom joining their team.

Honestly, how would we react?

Of course the situation would be different. But sometimes it's easy to understand why people show no respect for a large part of our media and fanbase.

"Only in Montréal"...

Moen in Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

IMO I think that most of these media meat heads are just like crown attorneys, they think that what they have to ask will make a difference or ask the same question but phrased differently to try and make him slip or say even one thing different so they can write their own garbage.
it is to bad and as much as I'd like him on the Habs I don't blame him for wanting to be elsewhere.

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:59 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs425 View Post
Let's imagine another scenario.
2013 All-Star weekend in Vancouver. Carey Price is the starting goalie for the East. He just signed a 10 year contract with the habs.

And we habs fans have to watch 48 hours of BC journalists flirting with Price, the same way Montreal media acted with Vinny. And the crowd gives him a standing ovation, all canucks fans dreaming about the local phenom joining their team.

Honestly, how would we react?

Of course the situation would be different. But sometimes it's easy to understand why people show no respect for a large part of our media and fanbase.

"Only in Montréal"...
That would be impossible. Vancouver Cannot fan is casual. He wasn't there too much when the team sucked. Now, he's there because it's the in thing. Vancouver is not reference in hockey.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 08:07 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
That would be impossible. Vancouver Cannot fan is casual. He wasn't there too much when the team sucked. Now, he's there because it's the in thing. Vancouver is not reference in hockey.

plus who would they cheer for louder? Price or Luongo?

Price would not be the missing link.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Moen in Glory
@MoeninGlory

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Exactly. It would be impossible for any other team, literally. Why do we need such a theatrical love story to try and get one player if our team is THE reference in hockey?

The game has changed for the last few years. The league has changed, players have changed. Maybe it would be time to see what some other teams did to be successful recently. Instead of looking back all the time and wave the legendary franchise flag to solve all our problems.

The past is there, we are respected for our team's glorious history. I don't agree with everything Gainey has done as a GM, but I'm glad he didn't use this kind of tricks and looked for examples elsewhere. Put JC Lajoie in his seat and we are Montréal Lightning fans in 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
plus who would they cheer for louder? Price or Luongo?

Price would not be the missing link.
You know what I meant with this example. What seems logical for Montréal is impossible for other teams. That's basically the image we gave this weekend and this is sad.

Moen in Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 08:20 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I like how Scott Oakes tried to get him to squeal about the rumors and LeCav just rolled with the punches. And then he just asked him directly

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:35 PM
JrHockeyFan

If I made as much money as Vinny and got to play in the NHL and be an all star, reporters could ask me as many stupid repetitive questions as they wanted to. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSR View Post
I heard on Team 990 this morning that he got a guided tour of the Bell Center ( as well as a few other all stars ) and he also got a guided tour of the Brossard training facility and was " Very Impressed "
they should have sent everyone over there and gave them cameras to take pictures with.
oh well hopefully Kovalchuk and a few others

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Kriss E

I don't think the guy is a moron. He knew it was going to happen.

And ya, poor him and his 80M+ contract.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote