HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bulldogs sign Conboy!

Old
01-26-2009, 06:39 PM
googlymoogly

vCash: 500
I wonder of Conboy thought Tropp got kneed? He was behind him and the way Tropp gets spun on the hit it looks close to knee on knee and we already know Conboy defends his team mates. Still should not of did that it looked like a punch close line.

Last edited by googlymoogly: 01-26-2009 at 08:04 PM.
googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:45 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Conboy suspended for the remainder of the season+playoff

http://ccha.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey...012609aau.html

Quote:
The CCHA, upon review of the on-ice incidents in the Jan. 24th game between Michigan and Michigan State, fully supports the decision of Michigan State’s athletic administration to suspend the playing privileges of players Corey Tropp and Andrew Conboy for the remainder of the season, including playoffs.

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:46 PM
googlymoogly

Both are suspended from playing rest of season

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5658430.story

Old
01-26-2009, 06:49 PM

I've seen cheaper hits go uncalled... then again this shouldnt happen in a hockey thats for sure. Two things:

- Was the crowd really chanting '**** you state' ?? hahaha thats amazing

- The announcer said, and I quote: ''Conboy, who's really the enforcer/policeman of this club...''..... wow seriously what a great prospect we've got here.. an NCAA goon.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Get him over here to the ECHL, AHL, doesn't matter. Let him put some weight on his frame. From what I've read, he's a rough, gritty leader.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:57 PM
MHNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
I've seen cheaper hits go uncalled... then again this shouldnt happen in a hockey thats for sure. Two things:

- Was the crowd really chanting '**** you state' ?? hahaha thats amazing

- The announcer said, and I quote: ''Conboy, who's really the enforcer/policeman of this club...''..... wow seriously what a great prospect we've got here.. an NCAA goon.
I was there and yes, that's what the crowd (well, mainly the student section which is about 1/3 of the crowd) was chanting LOUD and CLEAR.

What happened was just wrong. Kampfer's hit on Tropp was clean, then he gets up to skate up ice and Conboy just locked onto him from behind and cold cocked him (it brought up memories of Bertuzzi, minus the ride into the ice). Then Tropp with a pair of whacks to the head/neck region was beyond stupid, especially when you consider it was Kampfer who back in October was assaulted in an off-ice incident that left him with a fractured skull and neck (though I'm sure they weren't thinking about that and I'm not being sarcastic). If you're going to take up issue with Kampfer's hit, be man enough to go after him and challenge him, not blindside him.

I seriously believe Conboy needs to leave and either go major junior or sign with Montreal and go to the AHL. Remember, folks, this is the NCAA, where fighting is not allowed. Conboy's whole career has been almost nothing but penalties (210 PIM last year in the USHL, 76 PIM in 21 games this season and only five points). If he wants to goon it up and drop the gloves so bad, I don't see what the point of going the college route is where it's not tolerated.

MHNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:00 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

I caught the end of the game on tv when I got home from work. The channel I saw it on FSN, didn't really have a great view of what happened. I'd be interested to hear what Conboy has to say about what he did and why he did it.

Since they didn't lose their scholarships, I guess they won't be kicked off the team which some Michigan fans seem to be hoping for. Conboy has a rep for being overly physical and his brother has a bad rep for stupid things so this shouldn't be a huge surprise. Hopefully he learns from his mistake.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:20 PM
googlymoogly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zslb7...eature=related

Read the UM-MSU comments don't they sound like a couple of teams we know

Gainey Conboy> MSU / Komi, PacMan> UM we will have a war on our own team unless Kostopolous threatens to beat whoever gets out of line.

Old
01-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Which, again, like I said when I learned that he was going in the NCAA, if it was the right decision. Then again, the kid needs to do what he wants if he's unsure of his future, but the CHL would have been the way to go. Not that it would have stopped him for doing stupid things but for what he did, he would have been suspended for 5 games. It's definately stupid and dumb what he did, but the punishment is way too much and I believe that the only reason it's that harsh it's because the kid is Kampfer and with what has happened to the kid before this year.

But it's definately not a league for him to see what he's really made of. He was terrorizing the USHL, it would have been nice to see how he looked like in the CHL without the full mask. The good about the NCAA was that he was going to concentrate more on hockey....seems to me that it's not enough for him...

Crazy though....we have almost no prospects like that and never have for a long time and now, one is involve in an incident like that....Anyway, that's 1 less prospect for me to check for the year...

Last edited by Whitesnake: 01-26-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:42 PM
dcyhabs

not Perezhogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Sauer View Post
Really stupid Bertuzzi-esque move by Conboy and than a Perezhogin-esque move by Tropp
A defenceman hit Perezhogin over the head with his stick and he reacted. Reacted by hitting the guy with his stick. No long term injury, but he connected so he got a massive suspension unlike the D-man who started it; he got 3 games or something.

Not comparable to what Conboy did which was a hit from behind after a legal hit on a team-mate. You would think people would be able to take hits by the time they are in College, the AHL, or the NHL, but not everyone can. Some players, like, say, Tie Domi, even padded their stats by fighting after legal hits to the extents that non-goons would play them pretty weak. And refs encourage this *sigh*.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:52 PM
deandebean

Chris Nilan reincarnation?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:59 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

for those who didnt know that its brother biting Steve Downie!!!!!lolll

Old
01-26-2009, 08:00 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post

It is Steve Downie

Old
01-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Yeah but I heard Downie say before the fight...."You want a piece of me?"

Old
01-26-2009, 08:04 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yeah but I heard Downie say before the fight...."You want a piece of me?"
oh thats why!!!! that must be it because always tought those Conboy brother were little crazy. and kampner probably said: "hey Conboy why dont you sucker me? you chicken ****?"

Old
01-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
oh thats why!!!! that must be it because always tought those Conboy brother were little crazy. and kampner probably said: "hey Conboy why dont you sucker me? you chicken ****?"

Not what he said....wanted to know Andrew's gloves' company 'cause he thought of changing...Andrew wanted to show him but just miscalculated...that's all...

I heard that Downie has been recalled by TBay...since Andrew doesn't have anything to do tomorrow....I was thinking....

Old
01-26-2009, 08:09 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not what he said....wanted to know Andrew's gloves' company 'cause he thought of changing...Andrew wanted to show him but just miscalculated...that's all...

I heard that Downie has been recalled by TBay...since Andrew doesn't have anything to do tomorrow....I was thinking....

kampner changing glove??? Lapresse and Mathias Brunet get on it we have a trade coming soon!!!!!

Old
01-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Papa_Bear_21

This was a completely stupid move, that I completely agree with. But sadly... until they decide to eliminate fighting from the game, guys like Conboy will have a place on most teams. I mean, you think guys that do this for a living are actually sane? They have to have a couple of screws loose or they'll get their *ss*s handed to them.

This guy is the heir apparent to BGL.

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 08:10 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:

Kampfer must have a face that makes people want to hit him or he talks crap to opponents. First he is body slammed by a UM football player then he has two MSU hockey players attack him.

Old
01-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
On the bright side, he didn't celebrate.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
A defenceman hit Perezhogin over the head with his stick and he reacted. Reacted by hitting the guy with his stick. No long term injury, but he connected so he got a massive suspension unlike the D-man who started it; he got 3 games or something.

Not comparable to what Conboy did which was a hit from behind after a legal hit on a team-mate. You would think people would be able to take hits by the time they are in College, the AHL, or the NHL, but not everyone can. Some players, like, say, Tie Domi, even padded their stats by fighting after legal hits to the extents that non-goons would play them pretty weak. And refs encourage this *sigh*.
A punch from behind is still a punch from behind.
A stick swing is still a stick swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Chris Nilan reincarnation?
I can only wish we have a new Nilan some day.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 08:41 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I hope this guy makes our team, because we know if anyone does anything stupid, Conboy is gonna go ****ing ape-**** on their ass and they'll be lucky to survive.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I hope this guy makes our team, because we know if anyone does anything stupid, Conboy is gonna go ****ing ape-**** on their ass and they'll be lucky to survive.
Unfortunately, or fortunately, that type of behavior is not Habs related....we have till 2012 to sign him....he better hope that Gainey is still on board....or he gets his act straight. You can be tough and not be stupid.

But then, if he can be tough and not stupid, needless to say we would need guys like him in the lineup.....it's not like we're having a lot of tough guys hanging around in our prospect pool though Paquet can definately hold his own...

Old
01-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I can't condone Conboy's clothesline, but he at least tried to protect the player on the ground from a second axe-chop by pushing away his teammate .
Yeah, bonehead original move, but I was happy to see him turn and shove his teammate away after the axe swing to the neck.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHNet View Post
I seriously believe Conboy needs to leave and either go major junior or sign with Montreal and go to the AHL. Remember, folks, this is the NCAA, where fighting is not allowed. Conboy's whole career has been almost nothing but penalties (210 PIM last year in the USHL, 76 PIM in 21 games this season and only five points). If he wants to goon it up and drop the gloves so bad, I don't see what the point of going the college route is where it's not tolerated.
C'mon MHNet, this isn't about fighting. This is about viciously attacking another player, and it's one of YOUR guys I might add. The NCAA doesn't tolerate fighting, sure, but you can't sit there and tell me that you've never seen the Gophers and the Sioux have one big love fest (read that fighting all over the ice) or that fighting has never taken place elsewhere in the NCAA. If this whole incident was over a fight, do you honestly think that Conboy and Tropp would've gotten the harsh suspensions that they got?

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote