HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sbisa has been reassigned (Feb. 2, 2009 -- post #176 with quotes)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2009, 03:32 PM
  #101
Get Carter
Registered User
 
Get Carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It matters because that's how small the margin of error is.
What matters to me is that they did get in.

When nobody expected them to.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:39 PM
  #102
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
We were 0-2 when we traded for Alberts. His play has been fine, but when you bench his best partner, it kind of takes off a bit from his play, especially having to cover for Jones' mistakes. It's not bringing in Alberts, it's how it was went about.



Actually, there was something we could have done. Taken our draft pick and wait until July 1. There was a good chance Eminger wasn't getting qualified, and if we wanted him bad enough, I'm sure he would have signed an offer sheet.
That is what kills me. No way he was being qualified. I still donít know how in the world wash got holmgren to give up 1st. that is just terrible. Use that 1st and something else to get more of a sure thing. Even if he was qualifed they could have worked out a deal. The 1st was a joke.

Alberts was a panic move. He is a 3rd pairing dman which they had plenty of. He isnít physical or uses his size. I also agree with you that homer should not have this god like status as he created this mess. He seems imo not to have a long term plan and does most things on a whim. Having carle and jones eat up over 6mm worth of salary is a joke.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:51 PM
  #103
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
That is what kills me. No way he was being qualified. I still donít know how in the world wash got holmgren to give up 1st. that is just terrible. Use that 1st and something else to get more of a sure thing. Even if he was qualifed they could have worked out a deal. The 1st was a joke.

Alberts was a panic move. He is a 3rd pairing dman which they had plenty of. He isnít physical or uses his size. I also agree with you that homer should not have this god like status as he created this mess. He seems imo not to have a long term plan and does most things on a whim. Having carle and jones eat up over 6mm worth of salary is a joke.

Yes he is and yes he does.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:53 PM
  #104
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Yes he is and yes he does.
no he doesnt and no he doesnt. he is far from physical. if he was they wouldnt need to get a crease clearing dman they so desparately need. once in while maybe but not physical in my mind

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
  #105
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

Overlooking that when the Flyers finished their 81st game, they had yet to clinch a playoff spot. Oh how we forget.
The Phillies were just as close to missing the playoffs as the Flyers...what happened with them?

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
  #106
ELab2
Registered User
 
ELab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
no he doesnt and no he doesnt. he is far from physical. if he was they wouldnt need to get a crease clearing dman they so desparately need. once in while maybe but not physical in my mind
he's shown to be very capable of it but he's very inconsistent.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 04:00 PM
  #107
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
no he doesnt and no he doesnt. he is far from physical. if he was they wouldnt need to get a crease clearing dman they so desparately need. once in while maybe but not physical in my mind


Do we have a more physical defenseman? Alberts is the only guy on our blue line outside of Ossi that can keep opposing forwards honest via the smash mouth route, that's kind of sad I know but the rest of our guys are puckmovers/positional guys. Sorry you fail to see the obvious. I take Alberts over Jones every day and twice on Sundays. Anyways, Alberts is needed here at the moment.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 04:18 PM
  #108
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,947
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
The Phillies were just as close to missing the playoffs as the Flyers...what happened with them?
Baseball doesn't have more than half the teams make the playoffs.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 04:23 PM
  #109
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,947
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
What matters to me is that they did get in.

When nobody expected them to.
If the Flyers missed the playoffs, it would have been just as much of a failure as the year before.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 04:51 PM
  #110
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Jones?
This right here sums up the entire idiocy of your argument.

I'm sure that TB would be jumping to get an overpaid 3rd pairing defenseman as a centerpiece for a trade that includes a player like Carle.

See, you can't propose any alternative methods to get Carle on the roster, this quote is just a sad attempt.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 05:03 PM
  #111
Get Carter
Registered User
 
Get Carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If the Flyers missed the playoffs, it would have been just as much of a failure as the year before.
Right, because teams who finish in the basement of the NHL should be expected to make the playoffs the very next season right?

What are Tampa, NYI, LA, and St. Louis doing?

It's a moot point anyway because last time I checked, they did make the playoffs. I don't care how they got in.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 05:21 PM
  #112
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,947
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
Right, because teams who finish in the basement of the NHL should be expected to make the playoffs the very next season right?
The Flyers did. Remember, Ed Snider said he doesn't know what rebuilding is.

Quote:
What are Tampa, NYI, LA, and St. Louis doing?
All of which I'm sure are thrilled they're bad hockey teams. The Kings have actually been much better than expected.

Quote:
It's a moot point anyway because last time I checked, they did make the playoffs. I don't care how they got in.
I don't care either, but it has to be taken in context. If the Flyers miss the playoffs, we don't get Luca Sbisa for R.J. Umberger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
This right here sums up the entire idiocy of your argument.

I'm sure that TB would be jumping to get an overpaid 3rd pairing defenseman as a centerpiece for a trade that includes a player like Carle.

See, you can't propose any alternative methods to get Carle on the roster, this quote is just a sad attempt.
How do you know they feel he is overpaid? That is a complete circus down there. Anything could have happened. The trade wouldn't have been Jones and Downie for Carle and a swap of picks. I'm sure they would have taken Jones if we took someone else back from them. They had a host of waiver eligible players. It would have been plausible if they made us take Jussi Jokinen back.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 05:23 PM
  #113
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,374
vCash: 500
I meant to ask this. What is this debate that is going on? Like what is this topic that well... GKJ is attacking (sorry but you really are the only one attacking ) and others are defending? I just jumped in the debate but really didnt know what the debate was about .

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 05:26 PM
  #114
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,882
vCash: 500
I might be wrong as I cannot understand French but it seems like some people think that the article stated that Sbisa was returned to Lethbridge. I don't think Sbisa has been returned as their is nothing about it on the Flyers website, and also the title of the article is a question which seems to be asking though I could be wrong- will Sbisa return (I'm guessing retrograde means go back or something like that) to Lethbridge?

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 05:29 PM
  #115
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I might be wrong as I cannot understand French but I don't think Sbisa has been returned as their is nothing about it on the Flyers website, and also the title of the article is a question which seems to be asking though I could be wrong- will Sbisa return to Lethbridge?
Read the title of the thread . But really, at the moment he is still on the Flyers roster.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 05:54 PM
  #116
Get Carter
Registered User
 
Get Carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Flyers did. Remember, Ed Snider said he doesn't know what rebuilding is.
Yes I know. Snider also removed Holmgren's interim tag and extended him after he delivered and successfully 'retooled' the team for the present and the future. Looking at the NHL historically, however, it is a serious stretch to expect to make the playoffs after finishing dead last the prior season. It rarely happens.

Quote:
All of which I'm sure are thrilled they're bad hockey teams. The Kings have actually been much better than expected.
I'm not sure what this means. The point is, the Kings have been in the bottom of the NHL standings for years. When was the last time they made the playoffs?

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:01 PM
  #117
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I meant to ask this. What is this debate that is going on? Like what is this topic that well... GKJ is attacking (sorry but you really are the only one attacking ) and others are defending? I just jumped in the debate but really didnt know what the debate was about .
I jumped in because I personally find it ludicrous that people are still crying about Markstrom and Eminger considering that Eminger turned into Carle and Markstrom wouldn't be able to help us for at least 2 years.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:02 PM
  #118
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief
 
Chuck Downie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charlottetown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I might be wrong as I cannot understand French but it seems like some people think that the article stated that Sbisa was returned to Lethbridge. I don't think Sbisa has been returned as their is nothing about it on the Flyers website, and also the title of the article is a question which seems to be asking though I could be wrong- will Sbisa return (I'm guessing retrograde means go back or something like that) to Lethbridge?
You're right, it says at the end of the article that nothing is official but the author of the article says that he thinks the Hurricanes let the cat out of the bag by placing him on their roster but the truth is that he has been there all season long so he made the wrong assumption and this all came about.

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:06 PM
  #119
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,947
vCash: 5792
Holmgren had the interim tag removed and signed to an extension before the Forsberg trade, I believe, so the following off-season had nothing to do with it, and as I've alluded to multiple times, Holmgren admitted that the 2007 off season was the easy part.

The Kings last made the playoffs in 2002.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I jumped in because I personally find it ludicrous that people are still crying about Markstrom and Eminger considering that Eminger turned into Carle and Markstrom wouldn't be able to help us for at least 2 years.
I find it just as ludicrous that people actually think that trade hinged on Steve Eminger.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
  #120
Get Carter
Registered User
 
Get Carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Holmgren had the interim tag removed and signed to an extension before the Forsberg trade, I believe, so the following off-season had nothing to do with it, and as I've alluded to multiple times, Holmgren admitted that the 2007 off season was the easy part.
No, he was extended this past summer. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nhl&id=3476793


As far as him saying that the 2007 off season was easy, he was being humble. If it was so easy, everyone could do it. The goal this summer was to get more mobile defensively, which IMO they have.

Quote:
The Kings last made the playoffs in 2002.
Proving my point that it's not that easy to make the playoffs. Especially after the season the Flyers had.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:37 PM
  #121
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I find it just as ludicrous that people actually think that trade hinged on Steve Eminger.
Okay, I back my argument.

I ask you to back up your argument.

Again. What other players on our roster that are expendable would you have liked to trade for Carle?

Your idea was Randy Jones. Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's a ****ing stupid idea.

Anything else?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:17 PM
  #122
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,947
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
Proving my point that it's not that easy to make the playoffs. Especially after the season the Flyers had.
Go over to the Kings board (where I frequent) and talk to them about that. There's a lot of mitigating factors that go into the Kings playoff drought. As I said, the margin of error is very slim, but when you're as bad as the Kings have been, some years they half-assed it. One of them being their ownership group being more concerned with getting a team to move to Kansas City, than operating their own franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Okay, I back my argument.

I ask you to back up your argument.

Again. What other players on our roster that are expendable would you have liked to trade for Carle?

Your idea was Randy Jones. Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's a ****ing stupid idea.

Anything else?
He's no more expendable than Eminger was. It doesn't matter who I would get rid of. You're not only assuming that Jones wasn't even mentioned in the discussion because of his contract, whereas, the Flyers stated they've been after Carle, but that Eminger was the only one brought up. If they wanted him bad enough (or responsibly), and did not have Eminger, it would have gotten done. They could have offered Kukkonen too, or Metropolit (who I believe was being scratched at the time).

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 08:27 PM
  #123
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He's no more expendable than Eminger was. It doesn't matter who I would get rid of. You're not only assuming that Jones wasn't even mentioned in the discussion because of his contract, whereas, the Flyers stated they've been after Carle, but that Eminger was the only one brought up. If they wanted him bad enough (or responsibly), and did not have Eminger, it would have gotten done. They could have offered Kukkonen too, or Metropolit (who I believe was being scratched at the time).
This is just asinine.

What if I trade away Richards and Carter and then afterwards, decide to trade for Pavel Datsyuk? Can I just assume, "It will get done even though I have no real valuable assets."

As for Metro and Kukkonen, that suggestion is just plain stupid (again). What would the Lightning do with a 7th d-man?

And Metropolit? Seriously? A 30 point guy who's already old.

I mean, use your brain here.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:12 PM
  #124
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust
 
flyersjamminontheone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brandon, Friendly MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Coburn fell into his lap. There was no decision to be made there. It's the lesser players that has me concerned. Forsberg-Coburn-Timonen fine. You look at how some of the other players, in and out, have been handled and it leaves much to be desired...and those are the decisions that make you championship caliber. Trading for Eminger. Trading for Modry. Giving Jones a ridiculous contract. Panic trade for Alberts. The way Downie got jerked around. Signing Lupul a year ahead of time. It's simple to throw money at Briere and Timonen when you have it.
Eminger deal left me scratching my head as well, i think he was a high risk high reward type prospect, modry did what he was supposed to...get rid of vandy. Im not the biggest jones supporter, but if he came in to this season healthy who knows? Alberts, well if parent/jones are not injured hes not here. that being said alberts started off a little shaky but since i feel has been solid. He gets beat but so do any 3rd pairing d-men. And last but not least, if Lupul has now, or in the future a break though season, he becomes very marketable with the long contract or we can keep him. Theres nothing wrong with lots of offence. ( didn't he score the most important goal of the season last year?)

Ok holgrens not perfect but he's doing a pret-tay, pret-tay, pretty good job in my opinion. (Hey even Lou Lamo is having problems in the cap era)


Last edited by flyersjamminontheone: 01-26-2009 at 09:34 PM.
flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:26 AM
  #125
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,947
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
This is just asinine.

What if I trade away Richards and Carter and then afterwards, decide to trade for Pavel Datsyuk? Can I just assume, "It will get done even though I have no real valuable assets."

As for Metro and Kukkonen, that suggestion is just plain stupid (again). What would the Lightning do with a 7th d-man?

And Metropolit? Seriously? A 30 point guy who's already old.

I mean, use your brain here.
First off, in your first example, you're talking about moving franchise players, which is complete apples to oranges. They don't get moved at the frequency you're suggesting with such an example. Carle is a guy Tampa would be willing to trade, Datsyuk is a player the Red Wings simply would not trade in a realistic situation.

Eminger isn't a 7th d-man? He certainly didn't play like a top 6 d-man here. He couldn't crack the top 6 in Washington. He's getting the same chances to play, but look at their roster, it's filled with 3rd pairings. I bet they would have taken Kukkonen if the pot may have been sweetened, or maybe the sub-$1M salary would have been good enough for them. It was rumored it was a salary dump for Tampa, so Jones may not have worked unless we took someone back. Metropolit also made less than Carle, and would be someone I'm sure they didn't plan to have around next season if they were looking to lose salary. Just because it doesn't make a lot of sense for us, it still depends on what went on in the negotiations. Trading Eminger for Carle was good for damage control (even though that was not the idea of the trade. But to think that Eminger + Downie = Carle was the only possible formula for a trade, it's just a tad on the naive side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
Eminger deal left me scratching my head as well, i think he was a high risk high reward type prospect, modry did what he was supposed to...get rid of vandy. Im not the biggest jones supporter, but if he came in to this season healthy who knows? Alberts, well if parent/jones are not injured hes not here. that being said alberts started off a little shaky but since i feel has been solid. He gets beat but so do any 3rd pairing d-men. And last but not least, if Lupul has now, or in the future a break though season, he becomes very marketable with the long contract or we can keep him. Theres nothing wrong with lots of offence. ( didn't he score the most important goal of the season last year?)

Ok holgrens not perfect but he's doing a pret-tay, pret-tay, pretty good job in my opinion. (Hey even Lou Lamo is having problems in the cap era)
Vandermeer was better than Modry despite Vandermeer's faults. As someone who watches the Kings, I knew what we were getting in Modry and said I'd rather have Vandermeer. Vandermeer went to Calgary and proved himself, and as the season went on, many others agreed.

Lupul, if they were to trade him, would not be as marketable to other teams, because I'm sure they'd rather do their own contract extension, than what was already done. The question after the season will be is he worth what his extension is, monetarily.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.