HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Lindros' Flyers Career: Definitely Successful or Definitely Disappointing?

View Poll Results: Eric Lindros' Flyers Career: Definitely Successful or Definitely Disappointing?
Definitely Successful 15 34.88%
Definitely Disappointing 28 65.12%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Al Bundy*

vCash: 500
I'd say a success, considering what the team was like before he showed up.

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 08:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
I'd say a success, considering what the team was like before he showed up.
The team was fine, they just went through a bad swing...the only one they ever had really. The Lindros trade actually set the team back a couple years before moving forward.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 09:12 PM
BringBackStevens

Disappointing, although Lindros was my favorite player to watch the game, ever. Pretty sad when you think about it

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Raffl House

You know, I voted for successful without even really thinking about it.

The guy put up a rediculous amount of points and won some serious awards. Frankly, there is the what if factor, but right now, based on what he did in almost 500+ NHL games for us, he was unstoppable.

Successful. No question.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:03 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
well i can see how a collapsed lung, a slacking medical staff, and a series of concussions could bring about dissapointment. dam you eric. you didnt win the cup. you sir are a failure.
Considering the way most hockey players evaluate themselves is based on attaining the Cup, he'd probably say that himself. Did you watch his Hart acceptance speech? The man had one goal.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:16 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Lindros was the player he was said to be. Its just DISAPPOINTING he was ALWAYS hurt. Not his fault ENTIRELY but still DISAPPOINTING none-the-less. When healthy, Lindros was an absolute animal. If he wouldnt have had major injury issues, we could be sitting here with a cup or two, discussing when he is going into the hall. Unfortunatly it didnt end up that way. It was a good gamble to take and I would have done it in a heartbeat. You cant predict injury.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 03:56 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The stats don't lie, it isn't nearly so cut and dry.
I don't really disagree with your overall point as Lindros didn't end up achieving what many believed he would, but in terms of the stats, Lindros wasn't the same for his last 3-4 years, so that skews them a bit. You could argue Forsberg was great for a longer period of time, but Lindros was without question the better player.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...I'm just going to go ahead and assume you didn't watch Forsberg play during his prime?

When healthy, Lindros may have been a slightly more intimidating physical force out there...but Forsberg was every bit the player Lindros was, and had a FAR SUPERIOR mental approach on and off the ice.
The argument is not on Forsberg's skill, we all know what he can do, but to assume that he could have led us the way Eric did can not be proven, simple as that.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 01:05 PM
kicksave27

It was disappointing that they couldn't get a goalie capable of winning cups for the 8 years he was relatively healthy. Pre-concussions, he was the most dominating player in the game. Nobody could do what he did. As good as forsberg was, he's nothing like lindros. Just a force of nature on skates.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
It was disappointing that they couldn't get a goalie capable of winning cups for the 8 years he was relatively healthy. Pre-concussions, he was the most dominating player in the game. Nobody could do what he did. As good as forsberg was, he's nothing like lindros. Just a force of nature on skates.

This is 100 % correct. Lindros could beat you in so many different ways. He shouldn't have breastfed till he was 10 though, made him soft upstairs. Some of the best and worst times I've ever had watching hockey was with him and the LOD though. They used to just wreck opposing players. Unfortunately, "live by the sword, die by the sword."

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

This sounds corny but it was both successful and disappointing. Relative to the average NHL career, of course he was successful, but relative to his potential and expectations, he was a damn dud. He was fragile mentally and fittingly he developed a melon-like head over the years to go with it. He could have been one of the greats, now he is borderline as a candidate to go to Toronto.

I kind of liken him to Derrick Coleman (although he had more good years than D.C.), could have been one of the best power forwards ever, instead was not even the best of his era.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I think that undersells Forsberg a little, he was a unique offensive force because he was equal parts brute force and finesse. The size and skill he had really demanded space from defenders and he made them pay. We saw what he could do late in his career after a lot of wear and tear. I don't know that he could have dominated like Lindros at his best but career for career they are pretty similar and Forsberg was a guy that lifted his team where Lindros was a whiner.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 11:10 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I might be a little biased (Lindros was one of my early playing role models), but I think Lindros was successful. I don't think the Flyers would have restarted the hockey fanbase as quickly as they did with Lindros as they could have with Forsberg. As good as Foppa was and is he didn't have the big name "wow" that Lindros had at the time.

Mind you, I still wonder what the Nordiques would have looked like with Lindros. The Nords had big physical guys that could've helped back up Lindros and I've gotta think that the extra spreaded wealth of talent would have helped out Lindros with those injuries. Still would've liked to see a combination of prime Nolan and Lindros, I think that would've been terrifying.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote