HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mason Raymond

Old
01-27-2009, 01:10 AM
vcx*

vCash: 500
Sometimes being a fan blinds you from the truth, it did for most of us with Ouellet, Surovy, Christensen, Armstrong, Koltsov...

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:16 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Until Raymond hits 30 plus goals, he is not worth Svatos. Svatos has shown the ability to hit 30 goals multiple times when healthy.
O I wouldnt in a million years trade Svatos for Raymond if I was FG. But I wanted to gauge what others think about Raymond in this thread.

Personally I see them as similar players, Raymond is a bad version of Svatos.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Raymond, at this point, is trade-bait. Which is exactly why we're not trading him for sympathy points.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:21 AM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Sometimes being a fan blinds you from the truth, it did for most of us with Ouellet, Surovy, Christensen, Armstrong, Koltsov...
oh you got me wrong there, im not a true fan. I rather happen to live in Vancouver right now and follow the Canucks because of that.
I dont have some type of fan bias like some others.
Not to mention that I take the NHL for what it is, a entertainment business.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:23 AM
vcx*

So you hang out at 8 rinks and stuff like that because you think it's just entertainment? Okay.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:37 AM
0123456789*

Quote:
So you hang out at 8 rinks and stuff like that because you think it's just entertainment? Okay.
i play hockey and usually practice in the mornings during week days and work later in the day.
what else do you think i would be doing at 8 rinks?
obviously when im there and the Canucks are practicing I have a look.

anyways lets agree to disagree. only problem is that Demitra, Sundin, AV, Gillis and Nonis agree with me to name a few.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:50 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
O I wouldnt in a million years trade Svatos for Raymond if I was FG. But I wanted to gauge what others think about Raymond in this thread.

Personally I see them as similar players, Raymond is a bad version of Svatos.
Not really that similar at all IMO. Raymond is a perimeter player who is really fast, but doesn't go to the net. Svatos is all about going to the net to get dirty goals. He finds the open ice and has a lightning release to get the puck on net. The only similarity is that they are small and quick. Two different style games.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 05:37 AM
ShyCheetah

Quote:
The difference is with the guys you mentioned is that they were in their teens or about 20-21yrs old when they were starting to make an impact. Mason Raymond is 23 going on 24 this year. He should be working his rear off to make enough of an impact to be considered a regular top 6 if he is ever is going to be one.
With that, I don't think his value is that high. I mean if we are talking about people that can skate well and have skills, for an exmaple we Pens fans said the same about Erik Christensen and we all see how he ended up.

Comparing him to guys much younger doesn't work. The fact still remains, he's 23 (24 this year) and he still really hasn't made himself a solid impact player. So far he "skates real real fast" and shows flashes of skill. Really, you can say that about a lot of guys. We pens fans have said it about Surovy, Ouellet, EC, Army...you get the point.

But of course, people will overrate their own players on the team they cheer for so whatever. I don't think Raymond is worth much, like I would never want Shero to trade Goligoski for Raymond straight up. Alex is worth way more than him and they are similar in age. At least Goligoski set records in the AHL Playoffs and has 19pts as a rookie defenseman, it counts for something considering he played 3 games last year only in the NHL.
In his draft year Raymond was like 5'10 and like 145 pounds. At 23 (btw don't exagerate his age, he was born in september)he's listed at 6'0 and 165 pounds. Regardless of his age he is physically not matured yet. And it's not like between the AJHL and the NHL he's been moving up quickly because he's been undeserving. Bye your comments I'm under the impressiong you're not familliar with the franchise which generally leaves it's prospects on the farm until they're ready. Raymond, and Kesler are the only non top 10 picks on the current team to assend to the NHL this quick.

It's your perogative to not rate Raymond very highly, but it's my perogative to tell you that your assesment of him is inaccurate.

BTW a fan who defends a player with logical statements that are contrarty with your point of view isn't automatically drinking the kool-aide. And comparing how other fans over rated their own prospects isn't proof that the Canucks organization and fans are over rating Raymond. It's plain to see to see why Nuck fans are optimistic, his skills are there but he has the body of a tall 15 year old.

Shy

Last edited by ShyCheetah: 01-27-2009 at 05:45 AM.
ShyCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:00 PM
crazyforhockey

I think if Canucks trade him---which they might do to get an immediate boost for the playoffs-------I think they will be kicking themselves.He has bounced around all three lines,has decent numbers,but has the skills to be very good player...solid 25-30 goal scorer.Question is can they get a very good return on a short term player ?

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Laterade

After this years playoffs, do you guys think his value has risen or fallen?

Laterade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 04:36 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Goligoski has been mentioned before... a 1 for 1 swap... IMO it could help both teams... both are young players with good upside that address a positional need for each team (canucks could use a puck moving dman, while Pittsburgh could use a top 6 winger).
The Pens CAN'T trade Goligoski, he's their future replacement for Gonchar and the only true puck moverthey have in the propsct pool on defense.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 05:10 PM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterade View Post
After this years playoffs, do you guys think his value has risen or fallen?
risen in my eyes, he was flying all over the ice and shooting from anywhere, he was even throwing crazy hits

shaolinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 05:34 PM
VanCity Millionaires

vCash: 893
I would have to agree. I think his value has risen. He surprised me, to be honest. I have never been a fan of his game, but his play throughout the playoffs changed my mind a little.

I don't see Gillis moving him by himself. I could see him being packaged as part of deal to land a much more high-profile player.

VanCity Millionaires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Red

His value had to have risen. Before the playoffs, I thought his ceiling was as a 3rd liner, but he's shown he can be a good complimentary second line player when needed and that he's not as soft as he seems. He's never going to be able to carry a second line though and needs at least another player on his line who can match his speed to be effective. I agree with whoever said he's look sweet on Crosby's wing, he also has a nicer wrist shot than I thought and needs to use it more while driving to the net. He also seems like the typical late bloomer, he's 23 yet still so slight and I don't think he'll lose much of his speed as he adds weight.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 02:02 AM
JohnHodgson

There's really no point in trading him because most teams won't give much up because he hasn't "proved" anything yet. But most people don't realize what kind of potential he has. He may never reach it, but it's worth a gamble,

JohnHodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

I really REALLY hope we don't trade this kid... He already is a second liner on some teams and he's still young..

Raymond has incredible speed... Once his hands catch up a bit he'll be great (if it happens).

Point is Raymond's potential upside is greater than his trade value.. If some team throws up a first then fine, otherwise keep him and watch him develope.

He was one of the best players in the playoffs too. Not point wise.. But gave 110% every shift, scored 2 clutch goals, and got moved to the 2nd line with Demitras injury.

KEEP HIM!

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:45 PM
FuzzyTitus

Btw, he's a third line player on this team, was only promoted because of Demitra's injury.

Good player, needs some time and needs to get bigger.

Worth probably a 2nd +prospect or something.

FuzzyTitus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 05:34 PM
doobie604

he's kesler lite... keep him instead of trading him.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 05:42 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDragon View Post
With his speed and skill, he's much more suitable in the Eastern Conference than in the West.
The West is too tight defensively for him.

He needs more strength training and needs to stop going around in circles and falling to the ice.
Sounds like Upshall. Speed to burn, quite a bit of skill, falls a lot, but can't put it all together. Still a serviceable player however.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 06:19 PM
The Pucks

At midseason I was all for dumping Mason, I just didnt think he would turn the corner. Now I would prefer to have him stick around and see if he can continue to grow as a player.

He has great speed no doubt, but the fact that he has become a very good penalty killer really adds to his value. He started to evolve his offensive game in the playoffs, I think there is some hope for him yet.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Peter Griffin

Both Raymond and Wellwood really impressed in the post-season in 3rd line roles.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:00 AM
CanadianPantherFan
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
What do the Canucks need? I'd love Raymond on the Panthers.
Second that,Zednik replacement. Give Repik more time in the minors,1st call up type of guy.

CanadianPantherFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Cliff O Malley

I made a proposal in here before that would send Raymond to the Pens for Goligoski. When I made this proposal, the Pens still had Ryan Whitney. All things considered now I wouldn't want the Pens to make this trade, but I wouldn't be terribly disappointed. I still think Raymond can be a very good player in the NHL.

Cliff O Malley is offline   Reply With Quote