HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another Koivu saga....

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2009, 02:20 AM
THE HOFF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
Wow.. I read the OP, figured this time it really was nothing (as it usually is with Koivu) & moved on. I come back here at night and it really DID go downhill like they all do. Why did I think it could ever be different?

So here it is again: Saku Koivu has done more for kids in Montreal than most people who have lived here during his time with the Habs. Shame on anyone trying to disparage him, least of all for his conduct towards fans, he's always been classy and always will be.

O The Irony! But it gets better with this gem.....

Y'know, the rest of the *human* race will get along just fine while you pout in a corner.

Better idea: tell whatever "educated" person that teaches you this **** to get lost, you'll be happier and you might realize you've been sabotaging your own life all along. Then get a beer, watch some hockey, and be happy. Chicks dig it!!!

Please lock this, it only encourages the dumbest 1%, and it lessens us all.

you sound very intelligent when you quote 2 lines out of a long post and change the meaning by putting it out of context.

but with the help of your brilliant, well argumented analysis, now I see the light.

thanks again.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 01-27-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old
01-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Are people actually paying attention to Lajoie?

This is like taking financial advice from Vincent Lacroix.

No really, anyone who listens to this dick should be put in front of a shooting squad in Moscow circa 1917.

Old
01-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Bronto Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I've avoided the issue as I have no idea whether Koivu was rude,aloof, unknowing, set up or whatever. Most people are aloof or rude at times but that really isn't the point. People are what they are.

My Dad worked for CN, for a time, in the 50's he spent a lot of time around Central Station. He told me that the players often got off the train at the previous stop to avoid having fans ask them for autographs as they dis-embarked. One player never joined in this practice, #4 as you might've imagined. Gros Bill wasn't captain at the time though, the Rocket was.

I don't think any less of the Rocket and frankly, I don't know if mt dad got his facts right, but either way, I have no reason to want to believe anything negative about either guy. So, I hope no one's disapointed in the Rocket.

Further, if JC Lajoie is a jerk, and I suspect that he is, his mother tongue shouldn't come into play. I don't much like Jack Todd but I don't claim him to be a product of the English media and frankly I don't appreciate when francophones do. It only seems right to extend the same courtesy.

I totally agree with your comment but, you have to admit that the Koivu bashing often comes (almost 95%) from the french media. I'm french, and I can see that it's the case. I'm trying to find anywhere on the english side this stroy but I'm not finding it. Maybe I'm not trying hard enought... It's not because their french that they make dumb comments, it's because they are dumb that it's.

Old
01-27-2009, 10:18 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I've avoided the issue as I have no idea whether Koivu was rude,aloof, unknowing, set up or whatever. Most people are aloof or rude at times but that really isn't the point. People are what they are.

My Dad worked for CN, for a time, in the 50's he spent a lot of time around Central Station. He told me that the players often got off the train at the previous stop to avoid having fans ask them for autographs as they dis-embarked. One player never joined in this practice, #4 as you might've imagined. Gros Bill wasn't captain at the time though, the Rocket was.

I don't think any less of the Rocket and frankly, I don't know if mt dad got his facts right, but either way, I have no reason to want to believe anything negative about either guy. So, I hope no one's disapointed in the Rocket.

Further, if JC Lajoie is a jerk, and I suspect that he is, his mother tongue shouldn't come into play. I don't much like Jack Todd but I don't claim him to be a product of the English media and frankly I don't appreciate when francophones do. It only seems right to extend the same courtesy.
I often wonder why certain posters here cannot realize that a small minority in the "french" media are not representative of the entire Quebec media? On the flip side of the coin, why can't the apologists for xenophobic *******s like Tremblay and Lajoie see that an attack on them is not an attack on all Quebecers? I'm not naive enough to think that either side is likely to change, but it would be nice if both groups would be kind enough to shut the **** up.

Old
01-27-2009, 10:18 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronto Dan View Post
I totally agree with your comment but, you have to admit that the Koivu bashing often comes (almost 95%) from the french media. I'm french, and I can see that it's the case. I'm trying to find anywhere on the english side this stroy but I'm not finding it. Maybe I'm not trying hard enought... It's not because their french that they make dumb comments, it's because they are dumb that it's.
You need to keep in mind that the french media is much more present than the english media. That leads to having more idiots have a chance to writing a paper or talking on TV.

Old
01-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Newhabfan

Pat Burns : "The problem with the hockey media in Montreal is that the competition between hockey journalists is a lot harsher then between hockey players" There are more journalists on the french side and the competition is tougher between them.

What they made today out of this story on CKAC was disgusting. But I actually listened (since team 990 were talking baseball and fantasy football and I have a one hour commute).

I subscribe to the petition to lock this thread.

Old
01-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Joe Cole

Wow...RDS al JC Lajoie trying to cast Koivu as a bad guy.

I am shocked.

Old
01-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Mustafa*

I can understand what the hockey players are going through to a certain extent. I worked in Peru with children who worked in the street, during a year. And being white in a indian city is quite something, everywhere i would go people i have never met would know my name and surname in both french and spanish (i translated my name to spanish during my trip). Every where i would go people wanted to chat, wanted me to be their friend, give them time or follow them in their house to meet their familly. Almost everything i would do, people would know about it.

At some point at the end of my trip, i would sometime walk through a street and not stoping when people wanted to talk to me because it took to much energy to always give time to people. Some time i would pretend i didn't see a person so i wouldn't have to wave a hand and smile. I would do that to children i worked with, and today i dont feel bad or feel that i was a bad humanitarian for doing so.

This media crisis must be one of the wrost i've heard, maybe the wrost.

Old
01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It was played yesterday on RDS, (we saw images of it) CKAC (Lajoie) talks about it this morning, and I'm so sure it will be talked tonight......, Koivu was practicing in Brossard over the weekend and there was a Mascot events with a lot of kids at the other rink over there. For whatever reason, Koivu had to skate through that rink to go some place else and obviously most kids over there recognized him and cheered for him......Saku didn't do anything....just passed by and didn't address the fans....

Don't shoot the messenger....just something to talk about I guess before the next game....

I do believe that he should've at least waved at them.....but nothing to ask for him to be traded for Jim Montgomery or something...
Stoped reading

Old
01-27-2009, 10:51 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I often wonder why certain posters here cannot realize that a small minority in the "french" media are not representative of the entire Quebec media? On the flip side of the coin, why can't the apologists for xenophobic *******s like Tremblay and Lajoie see that an attack on them is not an attack on all Quebecers? I'm not naive enough to think that either side is likely to change, but it would be nice if both groups would be kind enough to shut the **** up.
in this case i'd say its similar to a mob mentality situation, it doesnt matter what the collective intelligence is if the weakest link makes the biggest 'fuss' so to speak... the good and intelligent is going to be drowned out by the idiots and the drivel. which, from all my years on this site is and all the language issues ive read through (about the media) is the case

Old
01-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Bronto Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
You need to keep in mind that the french media is much more present than the english media. That leads to having more idiots have a chance to writing a paper or talking on TV.
yeah I guess so. the thing is, will it ever stop for the players sake I really hope it does someday

Old
01-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronto Dan View Post
yeah I guess so. the thing is, will it ever stop for the players sake I really hope it does someday
Well, as much as I hate a lot of them (Leclerc, Tremblay, Lajoie, Raymond...), the poor factualism of this week-end's JDM showed that the editors and the high level directors didn't know dick about hockey, that at least the regular journalist, whoever he may be, knows that Souray didn't score on Giguère (eek!) in the ASG... there were numerous errors in the covering of the ASG in the JDM, and it really showed that the journalists were on strike.

Old
01-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Jigger77

I think people get emotionally involved in these types of discussions and end up mixing a bunch of issues together.

To me it's simple. It's not a French vs English issue at all. It's a good vs bad sports journalism issue plain and simple.

Closed Thread