HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else felt bad for vinny this weekend?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2009, 10:43 AM
  #51
TBLightningFan
Registered User
 
TBLightningFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Quote:
As a Tampa Bay fan you should know the mistake was to sign for 10 years with the Lightning!
If making a mistake could mean winning a Stanley Cup and making 10 million a year... I need to start evaluating whether I should make more of them myself

Do I feel bad for Vinny? I sort of do, he isn't the one causing all this noise. We just have owners that no one can believe a word that comes out of their mouth. They set the precedence of both dishonesty and doing some incredibly stupid things. That just helps feed the rumors. They cannot stop them because if the precedence that was set. Who is going to believe them?

Look, I'm sure Vinny would be received very well in Montreal, or any other team for that matter. In Montreal, he would get so buried in their history(not necessarily a bad thing) that he cannot even wear his own number. As good of a player as Vinny can be, I believe he would possibly not succeed in that high-pressure environment.

In Tampa, he is the franchise. He has a contract to play where he won a championship. The Lightning will no doubt retire his number, others that ever play there will be compared to him. More than that, I don't think any other player in Tampa (in all sports) has done as much for the community as he has. Years from now there should be a number 4 and 26 hanging from the rafters. Some will debate Marty, but it would be very appropriate for those two numbers to be retired the same day.

With all that said, it doesn't matter where Vinny plays, he will be a part of hockey history. He already made a choice to sign a long contract in Tampa. That already shows me what he wants to do regardless how much the Hab fans long for him. I can also see the lure of playing in Montreal, anyone who says otherwise is not much of hockey fan or they root for the Leafs. Lastly, keeping Lightning ownership from doing something stupid and trading him... thats another thread.

------------------
On a side note, I know its bait...but I'll bite this once:

Quote:
No-one in Tampa Bay even know they have a hockey team
BBrowser: Walk into any of the youth (and even adult) hockey programs here and say that. Hockey is doing very well in Central Florida. We know what hockey is. Also, most people who live here are transplants from a northern region (or have ancestry that is). Florida teams don't suffer from a lack of hockey support or knowledge, its the multitude of those who can't seem to get behind a new team. All teams have this issue, just this high transplant environment amplifies it. It's not just hockey... BELIEVE me... the Bucs had problems with Green bay fans, the Rays still have Boston and New York fans to suffer with.

TBLightningFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:19 AM
  #52
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 26,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan View Post
If making a mistake could mean winning a Stanley Cup and making 10 million a year... I need to start evaluating whether I should make more of them myself

Do I feel bad for Vinny? I sort of do, he isn't the one causing all this noise. We just have owners that no one can believe a word that comes out of their mouth. They set the precedence of both dishonesty and doing some incredibly stupid things. That just helps feed the rumors. They cannot stop them because if the precedence that was set. Who is going to believe them?

Look, I'm sure Vinny would be received very well in Montreal, or any other team for that matter. In Montreal, he would get so buried in their history(not necessarily a bad thing) that he cannot even wear his own number. As good of a player as Vinny can be, I believe he would possibly not succeed in that high-pressure environment.

In Tampa, he is the franchise. He has a contract to play where he won a championship. The Lightning will no doubt retire his number, others that ever play there will be compared to him. More than that, I don't think any other player in Tampa (in all sports) has done as much for the community as he has. Years from now there should be a number 4 and 26 hanging from the rafters. Some will debate Marty, but it would be very appropriate for those two numbers to be retired the same day.

With all that said, it doesn't matter where Vinny plays, he will be a part of hockey history. He already made a choice to sign a long contract in Tampa. That already shows me what he wants to do regardless how much the Hab fans long for him. I can also see the lure of playing in Montreal, anyone who says otherwise is not much of hockey fan or they root for the Leafs. Lastly, keeping Lightning ownership from doing something stupid and trading him... thats another thread.
I don't know when the TB will win their other cup, but with this management in place and the way this team is going now, I don't see which players would want to sign there as UFA.

To be honest, whether it's with us in Mtl or anywhere else, trading Lecavalier would be the best thing for you guys.
You have to think about rebuilding, the number of good prospects/draft picks you can get for Vinny should be very interesting.
26th in the league, 17 new players this year, rumors of team close to bankruptcy, Owners that don't see eye to eye and talk way too much, etc..
It's not about what the intentions of Vinny were when he signed the contract. He obviously wanted to stay there when he agreed to this deal, but after all this zoo that went and still is on, he might not be so keen to stay there for another 10years.

Regardless if he's moved or not, he'll be honored in TB.
Patrick Roy is a good example, pretty sure no fan ever thought Roy would want to leave Mtl, but he had a breaking point. Maybe Vinny has one as well, only time will tell.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:16 PM
  #53
bassassin
Registered User
 
bassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: England
Country: England
Posts: 5,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
26th in the league, 17 new players this year, rumors of team close to bankruptcy, Owners that don't see eye to eye and talk way too much, etc..
It's not about what the intentions of Vinny were when he signed the contract. He obviously wanted to stay there when he agreed to this deal, but after all this zoo that went and still is on, he might not be so keen to stay there for another 10years.
26th in the league is misleading, they are 9 points out of a playoff spot (dont get me wrong, realistically they wont make the playoffs but there is still an outside chance) they are 11th now have a game in hand. They are 9-5-1 in the last 15 games (even with epic choking against Phoenix and Florida)

Quote:
To be honest, whether it's with us in Mtl or anywhere else, trading Lecavalier would be the best thing for you guys.
You have to think about rebuilding, the number of good prospects/draft picks you can get for Vinny should be very interesting.
Trading Lecavalier would not be the best thing for Tampa, the best thing for Tampa would be a top 4 dman, if not 2. The forwards are talented, but if Lecavalier is traded we lack high end talent. So thats why he stays as not only would we lack a number 1 centre and game breaking player, but the leader of the team/franchise.

Draft picks/prospects are useless when most of the top 6 forwards would be early thirties by the time they are developed. Goalie is set and the d is young, as I said aquire a top 4 dman and have a whole year with Tocchet system and they make the playoffs.


Quote:
I don't know when the TB will win their other cup, but with this management in place and the way this team is going now, I don't see which players would want to sign there as UFA.
The way this team is going is up, if you had watched them at the beginning of the season and for the past 20 odd games, you would see a MASSIVE difference. And yeah Vinny didnt have much problem signing a lifetime contract even after seeing Richards traded and Boyle forced out, so I dont think it is as much of a problem as you are making out. I mean if a franchise centre will sign why wont other players whether they are UFAs or not?

Quote:
Regardless if he's moved or not, he'll be honored in TB.
That I do agree with, and I also agree Marty will be honoured, both of their numbers retired in Tampa, however this whole situation ends up.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:44 PM
  #54
GeeoffBrown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,068
vCash: 500
This whole situation reminds me of the Lindros to Toronto fiasco of yesteryear. Y'know where the whole talk was Lindros getting traded to Toronto...and then he ended up a New York Ranger?

GeeoffBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
  #55
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 26,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
26th in the league is misleading, they are 9 points out of a playoff spot (dont get me wrong, realistically they wont make the playoffs but there is still an outside chance) they are 11th now have a game in hand. They are 9-5-1 in the last 15 games (even with epic choking against Phoenix and Florida)
26th in the league is not misleading in anyway, because that's what it is, 26th.
Sure, they have 1 game in hand. But Florida(9th East) has two, Toronto(11th East) has one as well, and Ottawa (13th East) has four. You also have the Penguins in 10th, a place they will most likely not finish in.

Bottom line is, it will be extremely surprising to see TB make the POs. If they don't, might as well finish dead last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Trading Lecavalier would not be the best thing for Tampa, the best thing for Tampa would be a top 4 dman, if not 2. The forwards are talented, but if Lecavalier is traded we lack high end talent. So thats why he stays as not only would we lack a number 1 centre and game breaking player, but the leader of the team/franchise.
TB needs more than just a top 4 Dman buddy. MTL needs a top 4Dman. So, you need much more than just that.
You have Vinny, Stamkos, St-Louis, Malone, Meszaros and Ranger that truly are interesting in your team. Artyukhin is also interesting because of his size. The rest of your team is quite mediocre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Draft picks/prospects are useless when most of the top 6 forwards would be early thirties by the time they are developed. Goalie is set and the d is young, as I said aquire a top 4 dman and have a whole year with Tocchet system and they make the playoffs.
You're too pessimistic. First of all, prospects are not 3-4years away from making the leap and some can already be playing in the NHL.
I don't watch TB so I don't know what system Tocchet uses, but with the chance of having Tavares/Hedman at the end of the season, on top of already having Stamkos, I'd opt for a rebuilding phase. If the owners aren't in financial problems, then there's no reason to trade Vinny but since everyone said they were, trading Vinny to get a bunch of prospects/picks can be very interesting.
Don't forget that good draft positions and prospects can also fetch you a good return.

TB was dead last in 07-08, instead of thinking intelligently and starting from scratch, they decided to sign anybody and everybody which ended up with 17 new players. Maybe that's just me, but i don't think that's good management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
The way this team is going is up, if you had watched them at the beginning of the season and for the past 20 odd games, you would see a MASSIVE difference. And yeah Vinny didnt have much problem signing a lifetime contract even after seeing Richards traded and Boyle forced out, so I dont think it is as much of a problem as you are making out. I mean if a franchise centre will sign why wont other players whether they are UFAs or not?
Vinny at the moment of his signature was not rumored to be shopped around and the team didn't look like a zoo. They had a bunch of new players, a new coach and looked forward to a new season.
The year starts, and all hell breaks loose. Rumors of team going under, coach gets fired after what..10games?..rumors of Vinny getting traded pop up after having been reassured that they would never move him, etc..
So don't try to make it seem as if nothing changed since his extension. I'm not saying he wants out, just said he might be very disappointed. He might not. We don't know.

Again, if you're a UFA next summer, and you have a team that went no where the previous seasons, that was on the verge of bankruptcy, etc..do you sign there if you get the same type of contract elsewhere??..
Overpaying might be their only option, but seeing as the cap is rumored to drop in 2years, and with Vinny/St-Louis/Malone/Meszaros, signing another big UFA to a long term deal won't be the best idea.
You also have 13 FA next season..

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:17 PM
  #56
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeoffBrown View Post
This whole situation reminds me of the Lindros to Toronto fiasco of yesteryear. Y'know where the whole talk was Lindros getting traded to Toronto...and then he ended up a New York Ranger?

Why do people always assume that the past will repeat itself EXACTLY the same?

Life is not static, it has many many cycles. Trends come and go. Stuff happens. No one can predict any and all outcomes with 100% certainty, because most of the time, predictions just go out the window. Let's just enjoy the ride and see what happens. The future is always bright for the optimist, because despite maybe not finding what he/she wanted to find, the optimist will most likely like what he/she will find.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:30 PM
  #57
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,831
vCash: 500
All part of the plan, boys. Annoy him into signing with the Habs.

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:06 PM
  #58
bassassin
Registered User
 
bassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: England
Country: England
Posts: 5,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
26th in the league is not misleading in anyway, because that's what it is, 26th.
Sure, they have 1 game in hand. But Florida(9th East) has two, Toronto(11th East) has one as well, and Ottawa (13th East) has four. You also have the Penguins in 10th, a place they will most likely not finish in.

Bottom line is, it will be extremely surprising to see TB make the POs. If they don't, might as well finish dead last.
26th is very misleading, as what does it matter how any team in this conference compares to the western conference... answer being it doesnt until the finals. Also why does it matter if the other teams have games as well, Tampa is 9 points out of playoffs with a game in hand, I dont see how that is wrong?

Quote:
TB needs more than just a top 4 Dman buddy. MTL needs a top 4Dman. So, you need much more than just that.
You have Vinny, Stamkos, St-Louis, Malone, Meszaros and Ranger that truly are interesting in your team. Artyukhin is also interesting because of his size. The rest of your team is quite mediocre.
There is much more than that, the top line of St.Louis-Lecavalier-Prospal is hardly mediocre, then the depth beyond that is pretty good as well, Stamkos, Malone, Halpern, Downie, Chewy, and beyond that they dont need to be more than mediocre as they are 3rd/4th liners (and I would hardly call Recchi and Artyukhin mediocre 3rd/4th liners).

The d corp is worse sure, but there is Meszaros and Ranger both legit young 2/3 dmen, Smaby and Malik who can fill out the bottom pairing. And then Eminger who has fitted in nicely as PPQB and a middle pairing dman. So yeah they just need a top pairing/top 4 dman, as forwards of overloaded as it is (players like Smolenak being kept in minors due to depth) and goalie is set with Smith (currently 10th in league in sv% despite the teams poor first 30 odd games). So if you know so much what do they need then? I mean sure they could get another star winger or something, but it isnt a need right now.


Quote:
You're too pessimistic. First of all, prospects are not 3-4years away from making the leap and some can already be playing in the NHL.
I don't watch TB so I don't know what system Tocchet uses, but with the chance of having Tavares/Hedman at the end of the season, on top of already having Stamkos, I'd opt for a rebuilding phase. If the owners aren't in financial problems, then there's no reason to trade Vinny but since everyone said they were, trading Vinny to get a bunch of prospects/picks can be very interesting.
Don't forget that good draft positions and prospects can also fetch you a good return.
Mihalik is a first round pick from 2005, it is the 2008 season and he has played around 10 games, he may make the team next year. That seems like 3-4 years to me? Other than Stamkos what played drafted by Tampa in the past 3 years is on the team?


Quote:
Vinny at the moment of his signature was not rumored to be shopped around and the team didn't look like a zoo. They had a bunch of new players, a new coach and looked forward to a new season.
The year starts, and all hell breaks loose. Rumors of team going under, coach gets fired after what..10games?..rumors of Vinny getting traded pop up after having been reassured that they would never move him, etc..
So don't try to make it seem as if nothing changed since his extension. I'm not saying he wants out, just said he might be very disappointed. He might not. We don't know.
The team did look like a "zoo" if you remember as all the forward signings had gone on, most of the trades had occurred. It was pretty much the same team, except Malik hadnt yet signed and Carle was in TB not PHI. About the only two major differences (if you can count them as major). The whole Boyle thing had already happened, so yeah it was already a "zoo".

The coach gets fired after 14 games (I think either that or 16), he was crap, Tocchets system is worlds beyond Melroses, hardly a change for the worse. And the key word in all the things that changed is rumour, where is the proof that the team has financial difficulties, or that he is being shopped, or that he was close to being traded? There isnt anyway thats why there have been no significant changes, as all it is is rumours, which I hardly call change.

About the disappointment, if he can sign with a team that finished dead last, and put the rest of his career in their hands I dont see why he would decide to abandon that plan after just a few months, and if he did I dont think i would want him to play for the Lightning.

But he hasnt and until his NMC kicks in or he gets traded we wont know, and so for know it is all rumours and ******** so he is still a loved member of the team, and face of the franchise.


Quote:
Again, if you're a UFA next summer, and you have a team that went no where the previous seasons, that was on the verge of bankruptcy, etc..do you sign there if you get the same type of contract elsewhere??..
Overpaying might be their only option, but seeing as the cap is rumored to drop in 2years, and with Vinny/St-Louis/Malone/Meszaros, signing another big UFA to a long term deal won't be the best idea.
You also have 13 FA next season
Its not the end of the season yet, how do you went they went no where this season? How do you know they have problems with money? If they are offering you a contract surely they have money?

13 Free Agents, big whoop.

Of the UFAs ones that wont be coming back:
Roberts, Kolzig, Koci, Ward, Malik, Niskla.... Really are any of them a big loss
Murphy, Pettinger and Recchi might be resigned, but they are hardly key pieces by any means.

RFAs to be resigned:
Jokinen, Lundin and Eminger. Jokinen is so key he might not even get a contract and Lundin and Eminger should be no problem to resign.

So yeah of the 13 free agents, only 3 are unrestricted and I might like to see them back and 3 are RFAs. Hardly all the talent leaving now is it?

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:45 PM
  #59
brymel
Registered User
 
brymel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Do you think they weren't giving it to him? I'm sure his Dad was lobbying. His friends giving him the, C'mon dude!!!!!!! Come home!!!!!!.......His Mom wanting him close.
If his mom wants him close, he needs to stay in Tampa, as they just built a home there.

brymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:51 PM
  #60
Boxscore
#oldNHL
 
Boxscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1974-94
Posts: 5,840
vCash: 500
I don't feel bad either way. The media has a job to do (report/create stories and drama) and the player is the one in the spot light. Why would anyone feel bad for Lecavalier? He was receiving tons of praise, not boos. If you want to feel bad for anyone, how about Briere who gets booed everytime he touches the puck because he signed with a different team. That is silly, everyone has to admit.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 05:07 PM
  #61
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli24 View Post
I don't feel bad either way. The media has a job to do (report/create stories and drama) and the player is the one in the spot light. Why would anyone feel bad for Lecavalier? He was receiving tons of praise, not boos. If you want to feel bad for anyone, how about Briere who gets booed everytime he touches the puck because he signed with a different team. That is silly, everyone has to admit.
Briere might get traded

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 05:13 PM
  #62
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 26,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
26th is very misleading, as what does it matter how any team in this conference compares to the western conference... answer being it doesnt until the finals. Also why does it matter if the other teams have games as well, Tampa is 9 points out of playoffs with a game in hand, I dont see how that is wrong?
Are you kidding me?..26th in the NHL shows that there's 25teams that finished ahead of them. 12th in the east shows there was 11teams only in the East to finish ahead. Choose one, it's the same.

I don't get it, so it's okay to say that TB has one game in hand and 9pts out the PO, but we shouldn't look at other teams?? You do know that every thing is relative right?..
TB can keep the same pace, but if Ottawa picks it up or any other team around TB, they can easily fall even lower.

Bottom line is they're 26th in the league, 12th in East, 9points out of the POs, and none of these stats are good. I understand you want to be positive, but you're not gonna fool me. Those aren't good stats and 9pts out of PO is bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
There is much more than that, the top line of St.Louis-Lecavalier-Prospal is hardly mediocre, then the depth beyond that is pretty good as well, Stamkos, Malone, Halpern, Downie, Chewy, and beyond that they dont need to be more than mediocre as they are 3rd/4th liners (and I would hardly call Recchi and Artyukhin mediocre 3rd/4th liners).

The d corp is worse sure, but there is Meszaros and Ranger both legit young 2/3 dmen, Smaby and Malik who can fill out the bottom pairing. And then Eminger who has fitted in nicely as PPQB and a middle pairing dman. So yeah they just need a top pairing/top 4 dman, as forwards of overloaded as it is (players like Smolenak being kept in minors due to depth) and goalie is set with Smith (currently 10th in league in sv% despite the teams poor first 30 odd games). So if you know so much what do they need then? I mean sure they could get another star winger or something, but it isnt a need right now.
Halpern..Recchi..Downie..are you giving me those names with a straight face?..
You don't need your 3rd/4th liners to be more than mediocre???..Would you say Draper is mediocre?..
You need your 3rd and 4th line to be extremely solid buddy, or else you won't go far..You won't even make the POs.

Yea, we all know how much unbelievable the depth of TB is. They're known throughout the league for it.

If you guys had a good team, Prospal wouldn't be on the 1st line. That's a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Mihalik is a first round pick from 2005, it is the 2008 season and he has played around 10 games, he may make the team next year. That seems like 3-4 years to me? Other than Stamkos what played drafted by Tampa in the past 3 years is on the team?
You just said they're all in the minors due to TB's great depth up front!
You can get NHL ready prospect like O'Byrne with us, or like D'Ago..players like that. That's what I meant by prospects..not a player that just got drafted and is still playing in juniors.

As for this year's draft, if you get Tavares or Hedman, chances are they'll be playing next year in NHL. When your team is also one of the worse ones, there's no reason to keep a promising youngster in the minors to make room for guys like Recchi or Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
The team did look like a "zoo" if you remember as all the forward signings had gone on, most of the trades had occurred. It was pretty much the same team, except Malik hadnt yet signed and Carle was in TB not PHI. About the only two major differences (if you can count them as major). The whole Boyle thing had already happened, so yeah it was already a "zoo".

The coach gets fired after 14 games (I think either that or 16), he was crap, Tocchets system is worlds beyond Melroses, hardly a change for the worse. And the key word in all the things that changed is rumour, where is the proof that the team has financial difficulties, or that he is being shopped, or that he was close to being traded? There isnt anyway thats why there have been no significant changes, as all it is is rumours, which I hardly call change.
Ya..Bob MacKenzie is really one to make crap up. The whole hockey world was talking about it being a very true possibility, but yea the GM of even what you consider a Zoo is more believable..
It's not really that hard to believe anyways.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
About the disappointment, if he can sign with a team that finished dead last, and put the rest of his career in their hands I dont see why he would decide to abandon that plan after just a few months, and if he did I dont think i would want him to play for the Lightning.

But he hasnt and until his NMC kicks in or he gets traded we wont know, and so for know it is all rumours and ******** so he is still a loved member of the team, and face of the franchise.
Again, it has nothing to do with what happened in the past. Everybody has a breaking point, maybe he reached it, maybe not, you don't know and I don't know. The difference is I can see it as a possibility whereas you just don't want to believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Its not the end of the season yet, how do you went they went no where this season? How do you know they have problems with money? If they are offering you a contract surely they have money?

13 Free Agents, big whoop.

Of the UFAs ones that wont be coming back:
Roberts, Kolzig, Koci, Ward, Malik, Niskla.... Really are any of them a big loss
Murphy, Pettinger and Recchi might be resigned, but they are hardly key pieces by any means.

RFAs to be resigned:
Jokinen, Lundin and Eminger. Jokinen is so key he might not even get a contract and Lundin and Eminger should be no problem to resign.

So yeah of the 13 free agents, only 3 are unrestricted and I might like to see them back and 3 are RFAs. Hardly all the talent leaving now is it?
Big Whoop??..13FA big whoop???..
You just signed 17 new FAs last summer, now you have again 13FAs, 9 of which are UFA not 3. You see this as an unimportant thing. (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=TB or http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=TBL&season=0809)

According to you only 3 will resign, that leaves 10 spots to be filled by new faces once again. 17 New ones wasn't enough, let's go for 10 other ones..
I guess you don't know the meaning of team chemistry.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 05:25 PM
  #63
thedoor81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 102
vCash: 500
Instead of talking to the media, Lecavalier should have focused on the important game that night, he wasn't there for fun...

thedoor81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 05:53 PM
  #64
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,368
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Appearently Brian Lawton tried out for the X Factor in Britain, but was denied and went back to being a GM.

He was the footage


Last edited by JHabs: 01-27-2009 at 06:00 PM.
JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 06:24 PM
  #65
Mousepad*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal/Mérida
Country: Mexico
Posts: 208
vCash: 500
Poor little boy, he gets lots of fan love and media attention.

Give me a break. I would take much more than excessive media exposure for this kind of salary.

Mousepad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 09:29 PM
  #66
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****
 
Rbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: București
Country: Romania
Posts: 1,419
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
The guy makes 10 millions a year.

I don't feel bad for him.
compared to my 35,000$ s year i feel bad for me

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:01 PM
  #67
Kenny Powders
Registered User
 
Kenny Powders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,849
vCash: 500
If i get paid 10 Million a year to play the game i love the most, you can ask me the same question 100x time and i would answer it with a smile!

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:33 PM
  #68
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
You havent seen Vinnys ad campaign have you? Picture of Vinny my game, my team, my town. He is the face of the franchise whether you want to belive people south of canada enjoy hockey or not. It has been estimated that if Vinny gets traded the ticket sales will drop by 4,000 for each home game. But that just must be a coincidence right?



If he wanted to be in Montreal so much why didnt he sign a shorter contract and sign as a UFA, or demand a trade. I mean even know he has the power to demand a trade, so if he wants to play in Montreal so much why doesnt he?

I think it is more than just a bit delusional to think that he is desperate to play there.
I guess you're one of the very few who watched tonight's game cheering for the bolts. Your arena was completely empty. I get that you care. Come to Montreal. Pay $300 just to squeak into the arena for a game. See what the difference is. The contract, well....now that he HAS the contract no matter what happens, I think (and obviously this is speculation based on observation) that he has been hit with a dose of Habs-mania, something that even Montreal has only realized since last year when we realized we might have finally arrived (even though we've always been sold out).

I don't think he's desperate at all. Nowhere near demanding a trade. He's not Lindros. Of course he loves his team and has had great times there (unfortunately including tonight), but I do think he really really wants to play for the Habs given the chance. Also, those commercials were for you guys (south of the border), we don't really need them. They also don't mean anything btw, are you claiming everyone who was in the EXACT same commercial will never leave? They'll probably leave for lesser reasons than fulfilling a destiny. Last time I checked he's not the mayor. He might be if he moved back home. Also, how does one make an estimation like that? Poll? of the 500 people who were at the game? I think 499 were Habs fans. Personally I just wish our team played to their potential. Then I wouldn't care about Vinny. Enjoy him for however long he's yours, he is truly awesome.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:02 PM
  #69
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I guess you're one of the very few who watched tonight's game cheering for the bolts. Your arena was completely empty. I get that you care. Come to Montreal. Pay $300 just to squeak into the arena for a game. See what the difference is. The contract, well....now that he HAS the contract no matter what happens, I think (and obviously this is speculation based on observation) that he has been hit with a dose of Habs-mania, something that even Montreal has only realized since last year when we realized we might have finally arrived (even though we've always been sold out).
Only took what, 100 years and 20-some odd cups to build a fan base? Come on man. People act like they get 18000 Joes off the street for every game when most of these arenas are filled by corporate sponsors. Have the bolts struggled and had lower attendance lately? Yep. Don't sit back and act like this team hasn't done anything for the last 10 years. There are diehard fans here, just like there are diehard fans there. You just come from long generations of fans, we're working on that last part.

Quote:
I don't think he's desperate at all. Nowhere near demanding a trade. He's not Lindros. Of course he loves his team and has had great times there (unfortunately including tonight), but I do think he really really wants to play for the Habs given the chance. Also, those commercials were for you guys (south of the border), we don't really need them. They also don't mean anything btw, are you claiming everyone who was in the EXACT same commercial will never leave? They'll probably leave for lesser reasons than fulfilling a destiny. Last time I checked he's not the mayor. He might be if he moved back home. Also, how does one make an estimation like that? Poll? of the 500 people who were at the game? I think 499 were Habs fans. Personally I just wish our team played to their potential. Then I wouldn't care about Vinny. Enjoy him for however long he's yours, he is truly awesome.
Uh, 499 of 500 fans... exaggeration much? From everything i've gathered from Vinny through interviews, face to face interactions, he is extremely loyal to the Tampa area and loves being here. Of course everyone thinks about the "home team" but these tastes change over time and he seems to be happier about staying here.

You know, that really irks me about other "traditional" teams. I've spent a lot of time in and out of Montreal over the past three years with a certain temperamental french girl, and I was lucky enough to sit down with quite a few people and discuss hockey in a rational manner. We discussed the ins and outs of both the Tampa and Montreal clubs, financial status, the fanbase. While some were surprised that I knew so much about hockey (and immediately assumed I grew up in the north but migrated south), some really realized that hockey is catching on here. Its not an overnight thing, it takes a generation or two to really get going.

Sure, it probably would take 20 some odd cups and 100 years to build the fanbase and culture that Montreal has. I love that about the city. As much of a baseball and football fan I am, if this town was 100% hockey crazy all the time, i'd be in heaven. We don't have that luxury right now, but perhaps one day we will. It is very tiring to hear about how we don't deserve someone, we don't deserve a team when fans do show up, even through the **** years, but I guess that is how things go with southern hockey.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 05:30 AM
  #70
bassassin
Registered User
 
bassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: England
Country: England
Posts: 5,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Halpern..Recchi..Downie..are you giving me those names with a straight face?..
You don't need your 3rd/4th liners to be more than mediocre???..Would you say Draper is mediocre?..
You need your 3rd and 4th line to be extremely solid buddy, or else you won't go far..You won't even make the POs.

Yea, we all know how much unbelievable the depth of TB is. They're known throughout the league for it.

If you guys had a good team, Prospal wouldn't be on the 1st line. That's a joke.
I gave you Halpern and Downie as top 6 players with a straight face yeah, you saw what Downie could do last night. He isnt far from being a top 6 winger right now, and he has the potential to be much more. And yes Halpern, sure he isnt a great 2nd line centre, but he is more than capable of filling the role till Stamkos can play there.

Also I named Recchi as a 3rd liner, not top 6. He has 31 points in 48 games this season thats good for 4th in scoring among forwards on the Lightning or 3rd on the Canadiens. Hardly a mediocre 3rd liner.

Yes they were known for lack of depth last year, but the depth has improved dramatically since, if you didnt know that then...

Why is Prospal not good enough to be on the first line? He is the worst player on it sure, but he deserves to be there, for the past 7 seasons he has scored between 54 and 80 points, that is decent complimentary top line player stats.


Quote:
You just said they're all in the minors due to TB's great depth up front!
You can get NHL ready prospect like O'Byrne with us, or like D'Ago..players like that. That's what I meant by prospects..not a player that just got drafted and is still playing in juniors.
Yeah they are, but that is players that were drafted 3-4 years ago, no player apart from Stamkos drafted sooner than that is on the team. Mihalik (2005 draft), Quick (2006 draft), Smolenak (2005 draft), Jones (2005 draft), Lundin (2004 draft) and Ramo (2004 draft). All are near to being ready for time in the NHL and all (apart from Quick) are 3-4 years after their draft year. I think that proves my point.


Quote:
As for this year's draft, if you get Tavares or Hedman, chances are they'll be playing next year in NHL. When your team is also one of the worse ones, there's no reason to keep a promising youngster in the minors to make room for guys like Recchi or Roberts
I doubt we fall that far, so I doubt the player drafted plays in the NHL next season, sure they may play in a year or two, but it still isnt an immediate impact. And there is reason to keep players like Recchi around (Roberts is crap so he can go), winning is having the right blend of talented young players and vet leadership. I mean when Tampa won the cup, they had St.Louis in his prime, a young Lecavalier and Richards and vet leadership from Taylor and Andreychuk.


Quote:
Big Whoop??..13FA big whoop???..
You just signed 17 new FAs last summer, now you have again 13FAs, 9 of which are UFA not 3. You see this as an unimportant thing. (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=TB or http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=TBL&season=0809)

According to you only 3 will resign, that leaves 10 spots to be filled by new faces once again. 17 New ones wasn't enough, let's go for 10 other ones..
I guess you don't know the meaning of team chemistry
9 UFAs yeah if you watched the team you would know why only 3 are worth resigning:
Malik-pylon of the first order, only useful as a bottom pairing dman.
Niskala-playing in Sweden now, wow so useful this season.
Koci-played 2 minutes last night and still managed to be a -1
Ward-Playing in the minors as we speak
Roberts-injury prone and useless
Kolzig-injured and inconsitent

UFAs to resign:
Recchi-31 points in 48 games, decent 3rd liner and useful on the 2nd pp unit.
Pettinger-decent energy line guy, scored a few points and been part of a great 4th line.
Murphy-good on the pp, would make a useful 6/7 vet dman.

RFAs(dont see why these should be a problem to resign):
Jokinen-3rd liner, may lose his spot to someone in the system unless he pulls his finger out.
Eminger-decent middle pairing dman and useful ppqb.
Lundin-defensive bottom pairing dman.

The 3 RFAs and 3 UFAs to be resigned could cause problems if they arent, but I dont see why they wont resign given that 2 were picked up on recall waivers and Tampa has given them a chance to shine and they have. And one is probably got 1 more year left in him and has won cups before so may want to stick around, and the RFAs dont have many other options.

The other 6 UFAs wont be missed, they can be replaced internally or by cheap UFA pick ups.
Kolzig- is back up goalie, he can be replaced by Ramo.
Roberts- would be a rotating 3rd/4th liner (we have too many forwards atm) so it just means some of them arent scratched as often, so he doesnt need to be replaced internally, but he could be by Smolenak.
Koci-doesnt really play, and as i said too many forwards anyway.
Ward-minor leaguer, many more where he came from and players like Tyrell and Fadden will make the jump to AHL to replace him anyway.
Niskala-In sweden and has hardly played so does he really need to be replaced??
Malik-he could be replaced by anyone, its not hard to pick up a bottom pairing dman somewhere. Or within the system by Lundin.

So no I dont think they UFAs are a problem as the lines are pretty much set on forwards and in goal, although the d may see a bit of movement.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.