HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whom to trade

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
This is "Hockey's Future"... Now never matters here! The Habs should trade any player above 25 years old for prospects and draft picks. That's all that really matters in hockey, after all.
Small error.

Technically even if they're under 25, they should be traded if they've been so presumptuous as to make the NHL. See case: Latendresse, Guillaume.

As per generally accepted HF logic, prospects in the NHL, but not scoring insanely are inferior to prospects who are scoring lots of goals, regardless of the level of play.

Case and point: that thread last week where someone put Chipchura's pro stats side by side with Latendresse's to prove the two were basically identical in terms of offensive potential. The fact that Lats is a year younger and accumulated those stats in the NHL exclusively, vs. Chips who did it mostly in the AHL of course is not a real counter-argument.

Old
01-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
This is the answer this thread deserves. Bravo.

Old
01-27-2009, 03:32 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
i enjoy bc
Thanks.

Actually I got the inspiration for the post from yesterday's CKAC open line shows. You have one group that wants to trade Kovy "quick, while the iron is hot" and another group that wants to dump Higgins because they decide that he is not only NOT the 40 goal scorer he and the callers want him to be but also that he SUCKS.....so trade him for a superstar in return.

And of course last summer and the whole early part of the year, we had people putting Halak in every trade proposal not because they didn't like him but thought his value high, nor because they didn't like him but thought other teams did, but because they suspected that rather than being happy to have a one-way NHL contract and a clear backup role, he is in fact very frustrated with not being given the #1 role here that he clearly had as much right to deserve as Carey Price......hmmm, what happened to those folks?

Anyway, the point is: the trade calls are so utterly devoid of logic 80% of the time.........that it was time to point it out in my usual dramatic way!

Old
01-27-2009, 07:45 AM
j c petit
Locked-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Thanks.

Actually I got the inspiration for the post from yesterday's CKAC open line shows. You have one group that wants to trade Kovy "quick, while the iron is hot" and another group that wants to dump Higgins because they decide that he is not only NOT the 40 goal scorer he and the callers want him to be but also that he SUCKS.....so trade him for a superstar in return.

And of course last summer and the whole early part of the year, we had people putting Halak in every trade proposal not because they didn't like him but thought his value high, nor because they didn't like him but thought other teams did, but because they suspected that rather than being happy to have a one-way NHL contract and a clear backup role, he is in fact very frustrated with not being given the #1 role here that he clearly had as much right to deserve as Carey Price......hmmm, what happened to those folks?

Anyway, the point is: the trade calls are so utterly devoid of logic 80% of the time.........that it was time to point it out in my usual dramatic way!
And while you were being silly, JC was being serious, unfortunately. How does he stay on the air?

Old
01-27-2009, 07:55 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Thanks.

well done, and for everyone that responded in a serious tone, wear a t shirt with moron written on it today.

Old
01-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Puckhead58*

Why is this thread not closed yet??? It is one of the dumbest threads I have seen on these boards in a long time.....calling for the Habs to trade EVERYBODY???? Give me a break!!!

Old
01-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Clearly, it is time to trade Alexei Kovalev. After the ASG performance, his value is at an all-time high. As many posters who called for PK Subban to be traded last week remarked, trading a guy when his asset value is high is the best time to profit from the market.

Accordingly, I call for the trading of Kovalev, Gorges, Lapierre, Lang, Kostopoulos, Pacioretty, Price and Andrei K. And of course, PK.

Another good time to trade players is when they disappoint us. The idea is to trade your garbage before others realize their skills aren't what they were previously reputed to be. This is the logic that calls for trading Higgins, Plekanec, Sergei K., Hamrlik, Koivu, Laraque, Begin, Dandenault, Bouillon, Brisebois, even d'Agostini now that he has stopped scoring.

Good young players loved by some fans are often included in trade wishes in order for that player to "get out from under" the management that is not appreciating them enough to give them starring roles. This has prompted calls to trade players like Halak and Chipchura.

Needless to say, it is important to trade players about to become UFA, lest they walk for no return at all to the club. Look at the utter disaster that has befallen the Habs ever since they "let Sheldon Souray go". It is IMPERATIVE, therefore, to deal Tanguay and Komisarek as soon as posbbile and for as much as we can get.

I was going to keep Markov, but I'm pretty sure he'll demand a trade once we move the others, so I guess he will have to go, too.

Go away Habs Go!
Not much of what you said makes any sense.

Old
01-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

What is the average posting age here for so many people not realizing BC was kidding? Jebus save us...

Keep 'em coming BC!

Old
01-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Clearly, it is time to trade Alexei Kovalev. After the ASG performance, his value is at an all-time high. As many posters who called for PK Subban to be traded last week remarked, trading a guy when his asset value is high is the best time to profit from the market.

Accordingly, I call for the trading of Kovalev, Gorges, Lapierre, Lang, Kostopoulos, Pacioretty, Price and Andrei K. And of course, PK.

Another good time to trade players is when they disappoint us. The idea is to trade your garbage before others realize their skills aren't what they were previously reputed to be. This is the logic that calls for trading Higgins, Plekanec, Sergei K., Hamrlik, Koivu, Laraque, Begin, Dandenault, Bouillon, Brisebois, even d'Agostini now that he has stopped scoring.

Good young players loved by some fans are often included in trade wishes in order for that player to "get out from under" the management that is not appreciating them enough to give them starring roles. This has prompted calls to trade players like Halak and Chipchura.

Needless to say, it is important to trade players about to become UFA, lest they walk for no return at all to the club. Look at the utter disaster that has befallen the Habs ever since they "let Sheldon Souray go". It is IMPERATIVE, therefore, to deal Tanguay and Komisarek as soon as posbbile and for as much as we can get.

I was going to keep Markov, but I'm pretty sure he'll demand a trade once we move the others, so I guess he will have to go, too.

Go away Habs Go!
I totally disagree with your post and I don't see how anyone can take you seriously. You're going to dismantle the whole team and then trade Markov? I say Markov is our only genuine superstar, and the Habs have to keep him until they can trade him for Ovechkin. We will have saved enough money on the cap to offer Ovie a lot of money and he will be just the player we need while we rebuild. Then we can trade him just before his skills start slipping and before anyone else in the league realizes this.

I've read a lot of hare-brained ideas on HF, but yours takes the cake.

Old
01-27-2009, 08:28 AM
zurg999

Bruiser is ready.

Old
01-27-2009, 08:31 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
This thread is amazing. Well done BC!

Old
01-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Why is this thread not closed yet??? It is one of the dumbest threads I have seen on these boards in a long time.....calling for the Habs to trade EVERYBODY???? Give me a break!!!
Can you spell S.A.R.C.A.S.M?

Old
01-27-2009, 10:56 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

can't believe some of you guys didn't detect the sarcasm
hello!!!!!!!

Old
01-27-2009, 11:24 AM
KovalevDeke

LOLLLLL at the people getting mad at the original poster ... it was clear it was a joke

Old
01-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Jiggernaut

Great post man! Hilarious.

Old
01-27-2009, 11:41 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

I was going to say thread of the year, but hell, it's the thread of the decade!

Nice one BC

MODS : PLEASE STICKY

Old
01-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Holy ****, do they have that movie in Blu Ray??%$

I have to buy that

Old
01-27-2009, 11:43 AM
rudethedude66

Old
01-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Philanthropist

Rawr Trading yellow babies is stupid loud noises

Old
01-27-2009, 11:57 AM
HabsKraut

I was gonna put the whole thread on "ignore" when I just read the title. Then I realized it's by BaseballCoach, one of my favourite posters. Gave it a chance and boy did I enjoy reading those answers.
Keep 'em coming, B.C.!

Old
01-27-2009, 12:04 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf

Old
01-27-2009, 01:40 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
I was going to say thread of the year, but hell, it's the thread of the decade!

Nice one BC

MODS : PLEASE STICKY
Thanks!

Old
01-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I would be surprised if there were no trades by Gainey this year. The obvious reason is that this year is Go Time!, being the centennial and all. The other reason is that the Habs have a lot of marketable depth.

The Habs have 5 sets of NHL wingers, and several competent AHL spares left over.

Tanguay, Higgins, Kovalev, AKostitsyn, SKostitsyn, Latendresse, Kostopolous, Begin, Laraque, Dandenault
+
Pacioretty, D'Agostini, Stewart

So let's scratch Dandenault off the list and just pretend that he's gone. That still leaves 12 players for 8 regular spots, and every one of them has shown that he can be a useful player in one of those 8 spots. IMO, two of the AHLers should stay with the team. Pacioretty has impressed me more than SKostitsyn did last year, and D'Agostini is proving to be an honest, versatile player whose presence seems to stimulate some of the younger "veterans".

I think Gainey would be crazy if he weren't thinking about improving the team in other areas by trading one of those wingers. Especially a guy like Higgins, who has good value, but who has to be re-signed with a raise, and who can probably be replaced on the ice, as he in fact has been for most of this season.

Someone else might say Tanguay, or even Kovalev. It's not necessarily a stupid question followed by a stupid answer. Would I package Higgins to land Pronger? Yes. Would I trade Tanguay out West if a GM offered a Rivet-like package? Quite possibly. It's just a question of context, as jolly as it is to pretend that it's a question of principle.

Old
01-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Thanks for the laugh BC, but this thread has run it's course.

Closed Thread