HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Oilers power play, Craig Simpson and a forward on the point ...

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2003, 10:14 AM
igor*

vCash: 500
The Oilers power play, Craig Simpson and a forward on the point ...

With reference to Goon's post, that the Oilers plan to try the tandem of Hemsky and Bergeron as PP point men tonight.

I wonder if this is Simpson's influence? In any case I like it.

Last year the Oilers used two defensmen on the point a smidge over half of the time.
* They scored 22 goals with two Dmen out there, only allowing 2 shorties against.
* They scored 34 goals with a forward on the point, allowing 6 short-handed goals against in the process.

Now some of that is because they tended to use a forward on the point heavily during 5 on 3 power plays. Still, the point I'm making should be obvious. The powerplay is no time to be thinking conservatively, and the Oilers struggled mightily when they used two defensemen. And this year without Niinimaa it will probably be even worse if they keep trying it. (The Oilers powerplay was more likely to score with Niinimaa out there than any other Oilers defenseman, his numbers weren't great, but the others were even worse).

Time will tell. But I'm hopeful.

Old
09-20-2003, 10:22 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Definately a forward on the point. Put Hemsky or York on the top of the circle and let em either rip it or make that nice little cross-slot pass to a wide open winger. They can also sneak in and make plays. Really hope MAB gets to play there too, he knows what he's doin.

Old
09-20-2003, 10:30 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

I like it it as it might encourage Hemsky to use his shot a bit more. He actually has a pretty good shot and could score 20+ if he uses it more..

Old
09-20-2003, 10:34 AM
Walsher

I don't mind having 2 d-men on the point but their must be one ith a shot and one-timer possibility. Brewer is that apparent trigger man but his one-timer shot is non existent. They move the puck but can't get shots through from the point because they are too deliberate. Hemsky will create room which should allow for more open space for shots. The pp problem is lack of shots to the net. Blocked shots, missed nets and tentative play cost dearly. Get the puck to the point get it to the net crash and bang for deflections or rebounds. It is not a difficult concept.

Old
09-20-2003, 12:05 PM
Mr Sakich

hemsky on the point with laraque or isbister 6" in front of the goalie could create serious problems for a pk. I really like the idea of being aggressive on the pp. Remember, you win games by scoring "more" than the opponent. I would rather have 50 pp gaols with 10 shorthanded than 35 pp goals with 0 shorthanded.

Old
09-20-2003, 12:46 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
I would rather have 50 pp goals with 10 shorthanded than 35 pp goals with 0 shorthanded.
That's exactly my thinking as well. And, by the looks of it, the thinking of a lot of the new coaches in the NHL as well.

Old
09-20-2003, 12:57 PM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to McThome
Indeed. I've ALWAYS been a fan of the four forwards system. I really liked the fab five the Pens had a couple years back (Lemeiux, Jagr, Straka, Lang, and Kovalev all out there at once). I know that they gave up some goals, but knowing those five (Lang had the lowest PPG at just under 1 - 80 points in 82 games) would be on the ice made teams play cautiously!

Old
09-20-2003, 09:16 PM
Hemmer

There has been some evidence already of Simmer's involvement on the PP. After tonights game in Calgary, I could see that they were working on getting a big body in front, be it Laraque or Torres, and getting the puck to the point for a shot...if no shot, then it goes either to the half-boards or behind the net. Classic mid-80's Oilers.

Old
09-21-2003, 05:54 AM
fuhr

Four forwards would be a good idea but planting someone in front is even more important.I don't think it has to be Torres or Laraque because neither of them have the best set of hands but would anyone else be willing to take the punishment,a la Simpson,in front of the goal? Maybe it will have to be one of them. Have they tried Semenov from the point during the two games? That kid just reminds me of Chara but with a heavy shot. If he gets some accuracy on that thing,you won't have as many guys dropping to block it. Maybe when he gets stronger they can throw him in front like the Sens do with Chara.

Old
09-21-2003, 08:10 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
There has been some evidence already of Simmer's involvement on the PP. After tonights game in Calgary, I could see that they were working on getting a big body in front, be it Laraque or Torres, and getting the puck to the point for a shot...if no shot, then it goes either to the half-boards or behind the net. Classic mid-80's Oilers.
Complete confirmation! On last nights pre-game show they had an interview with Mactavish and he mentioned that Simpson and Moores have been working on the PP.

Old
09-21-2003, 08:29 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Frpm my interview with Prendergast for the "Round Table" piece:

..."We’ll keep the best one of the lot or the one that fits the chemistry to start the season but it might not be the one who’ll be the 7th guy over the course of the year." - K.P.

Reading between the lines this sounds to me like:

Bergeron is in to start the season and Luoma will play some time in AHL to get aclimated to N.A. better. Then IF Luoma plays as expected, they'll bring him up to Edmonton. But will that cost Ferguson or Bergeron their spot?

I could be wrong, still 5 preseason games to go.

Old
09-21-2003, 04:19 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
Having a body in front of the net is nothing new, that's Ryan Smyth's office on the pp.

Old
09-22-2003, 11:28 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Sorry, I just basically reposted this same discussion.

for the PP, i like the size infront strategy, but i think we should put it into overdrive.

F- Isbister-Smyth-Laraque
D- Brewer-Hemsky

ofcoarse for this to work, Smytty needs to work on his face offs.(-)

but i like the idea of Hemmer QB'ing the PP from the blueline and RW boards.(+)

this might mean more short-handed goals(-)

but if any guy is gonna be able to recover and catch the oppostion, its the speedy hemmer(+)

but look at the size upfront, all can cycle, all can stand infront of the net and all have the ability to pot the odd goal.(+)

you still have the lethal chemistry with Hemsky and Smyth on the ice at the same time(+)

so basically, i think it works. if uve got 3 monsters sitting infront of Dan Cloutier, i dont think he'll be able to see too much.

Old
09-23-2003, 06:42 AM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr
Four forwards would be a good idea but planting someone in front is even more important.I don't think it has to be Torres or Laraque because neither of them have the best set of hands but would anyone else be willing to take the punishment,a la Simpson,in front of the goal? Maybe it will have to be one of them. Have they tried Semenov from the point during the two games? That kid just reminds me of Chara but with a heavy shot. If he gets some accuracy on that thing,you won't have as many guys dropping to block it. Maybe when he gets stronger they can throw him in front like the Sens do with Chara.
I too notice similarities between Alexei and Zdeno. I mean if somebody said 4 years ago Chara would be a near 40 points Dman - you would have laughed your a$$ off at them. Now look at him - he's a real threat offensively. I think Semenov could be a less physical (which isn't an insult -being less physical then Chara!!) type player with similar offensive numbers.

Old
08-09-2004, 12:36 AM
igor*

Outkast's flashback post got me looking back.

People with good memories know that the Oilers powerplay is my favourite whipping boy I more kick.

Simpson was going to try different things, bring a fresh approach to the powerplay.

But once the regular season started there was no Hemsky or Sarno on the PP point. In fact the Oilers used 2D back there even more than the year previous. And they were missing Niinimaa from the year previous too (not a PP stud or anything, but the best they had).

Should we really have been surprised the Oilers PP got even worse?

Should we really expect the Oilers PP to improve next season?

Old
08-09-2004, 12:52 AM
Hemsky4PM

If Nedved is signed the PP improves.

I think people need to remember that shorthanded goals against are pretty deflating. I don't think you can equate a shorthanded goal against to a pp goal for. I don't really have a problem with a forward on the point. York makes sense to me, more than Hemsky anyways. I see the first unit as Nedved, Smyth, Dvorak with Bergeron and York on the point. Second unit is Hemsky, Torres and Horcoff (don't laugh too hard, someone has to win a draw) with Brewer and Semenov/Staios/Ulanov on the point.

Bergeron is the only d-man we have with true offensive instincts.

Old
08-09-2004, 02:34 AM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

IMO, the PP improves with/without Nedved - it's hard not to, lol. But IMO Semenov, Bergeron, Brewer should be the only three Dmen to see PP time - MAYBE Ulanov the odd night. But IMO, I was extremely disapointed through out the year that Semenov's shot was not put to use. WTF did we have to lose!? It's an amazing tool that we have in Semi's shot -and it wasn't even tried!!!!!!!!!!!

08-09-2004, 03:20 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
IMO, the PP improves with/without Nedved - it's hard not to, lol. But IMO Semenov, Bergeron, Brewer should be the only three Dmen to see PP time - MAYBE Ulanov the odd night. But IMO, I was extremely disapointed through out the year that Semenov's shot was not put to use. WTF did we have to lose!? It's an amazing tool that we have in Semi's shot -and it wasn't even tried!!!!!!!!!!!
Not Brewer. No way. He doesn't know how to play that position. He always holds the puck too long and misses all his chances to make plays. That's why we need another defencemen in place of Jason Smith, one that can play the role of "rock" on the powerplay.

Closed Thread