HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bulldogs sign Conboy!

Old
01-27-2009, 07:12 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Your approach is seriously misguided. You are optimistically only thinking of the few cases where gang-like bahaviour does some good, but 95% of the time, it contributes greatly to MORE injustice and mayhem, just as it did in this incident in Michigan.

There is absolutely NO NEED for players on the ice to avenge hits like Kampfer's on Tropp. If the league thinks the hit was a discipline matter, it has the power to do something after the game.
Someone earlier brought up the point that for Conboy it could've looked like a knee-on-knee hit on his teammate, I have no problem with a player doing that if his teammate has been knee-on-kneed. People didn't think the Armstrong hit on Koivu was that bad, but Souray grabbed the turtling Armstrong and force-fed him his knuckles, is this any different except that Armstrong didn't lay unconcious on the ice?

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I don't agree. I would not see Gainey mess with his development by having him sit that long. If he is suspended for the remainder of the season, which I doubt, I see him in the AHL.
Just wondering....what if the kid wants to go to school? I mean, in no way is Conboy a sure bet to make the NHL or even have a career in pro hockey, not sure it would be the right think for his future....unless he's going all out on a hockey career. But then do we really have the 50-contract space to add him in AND is it Gainey's style to give the guy a contract after an incident like this?

I don't see it. I really don't.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 08:14 AM
neofury*

I couldn't see very well but wasn't it simply a case of a hit going wrong and then some other idiot chopping down on the dude while he was down? It looked to me like conboy was actually trying to stop his teammate and I think intent will be very closely investigated in this case before a suspension is given out. To me, Conboy looked like he intented to hit the guy, not injure him. His teammate tho.... wow that guy is going to get suspended for the rest of the season. He pulled a Perezhogin but he almost went for a double perezhogin. If that guy gets anything less then the rest of the season he has conboy to thank.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Maxpac

this is BS, how the heck can Conboy be suspended a full season for a hit!?

Get his bum in the CHL, Conboy is too valuable to the Habs to waste a full season of devolopment

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 08:46 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post

Get his bum in the CHL, Conboy is too valuable to the Habs to waste a full season of devolopment
Well the full season part sounds worse then it is, since there are only 10 games left in the season for Michigan St and since they are in last place in their conference, the playoffs could likely be a 2 game stint.

As for the CHL, he's too old, since he would be an overager, not many CHL teams I assume would have an open 20 year old spot to give to him for the remaining 7-8 weeks.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

I kinda agree with you though it wasn't a hit....But to me it's because of 2 factors....that the players that was hit was Kampfer and with everything he went through this year, and the fact that Comley does seem to be quite strict with his guys. Add to that the fact that Berenson was the opposing coach with his influence and you see why it happened. Conboy just received a double minor....

Like Montreal said, we are talking about 10ish games here.

Old
01-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Well the full season part sounds worse then it is, since there are only 10 games left in the season for Michigan St and since they are in last place in their conference, the playoffs could likely be a 2 game stint.

As for the CHL, he's too old, since he would be an overager, not many CHL teams I assume would have an open 20 year old spot to give to him for the remaining 7-8 weeks.
so that means he could play with Hamilton right?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Only if it means to forego his college career and education and only if it means that Gainey and Co would sign him for a 3-year contract after an incident like that, a player that only needs to be signed before July 2012.

I just don't see Gainey doing it. But stranger things have happened...

Old
01-27-2009, 09:05 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Yes but my guess would be if they went that route, he would be in Cincy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Only if it means to forego his college career and education and only if it means that Gainey and Co would sign him for a 3-year contract after an incident like that, a player that only needs to be signed before July 2012.

I just don't see Gainey doing it. But stranger things have happened...
They could sign him to a PTO to see how he does first.

Old
01-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
They could sign him to a PTO to see how he does first.
Thanks. Forgot about that.

I know one thing.....next habs development camp will be fun with Pateryn and Conboy in there....

Last edited by Whitesnake: 01-27-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old
01-27-2009, 12:39 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Someone earlier brought up the point that for Conboy it could've looked like a knee-on-knee hit on his teammate, I have no problem with a player doing that if his teammate has been knee-on-kneed.
Why? Will it repair the teammate's knee?

You DO realize that almost all knee-on-knee hits are accidental, right? OIne player swerves at the last second to avoid a head-on collision and instead the legs take the brunt of the force.

Anyway, Where does the vigilante nonsense end?

Even the Sheldon Souray incident, where he took on Armstrong who rammed full speed into Koivu, was just another act in a cycle of violence that night. If you will recall, Armstrong very clearly said he rammed Koivu in retaliation for Lapierre's butt-end of Crosby on the opening faceoff!

What did all of this get us other than a bad rep for Lapierre and a game misconduct for Souray, and a risk of concussion for Koivu (thankfully didn't happen)?

You want toughness? Take Crosby's body cleanly during the play, no butt-ending crap!

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Riverboat Gambler

Conboy's a little immature still. He's only 20 or so. Give the kid a break. Bertuzzi was older and should have known better, not really comparable. Conboy is still young enough to be learning the ropes... and plays in an amatuer league.

There is a fine line between intimidation and dumbness. He has some learning to do. If he can put it all together and use that energy within the confines of the rules he'll be more effective. I'm sure it's a disappointment but it'll be a huge learning experience. If he doesn't learn from this we won't have to worry about him because he'll be too much of a dumby to make it anyhow.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Just wondering....what if the kid wants to go to school? I mean, in no way is Conboy a sure bet to make the NHL or even have a career in pro hockey, not sure it would be the right think for his future....unless he's going all out on a hockey career. But then do we really have the 50-contract space to add him in AND is it Gainey's style to give the guy a contract after an incident like this?

I don't see it. I really don't.

I was thinking the same thing but in the end if you are him and your done for the season and Bob Gainey calls you and offers a contract......what do you do? Hard to say no.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:02 PM
nnynetpotato

One argument for going-It'll be difficult for Conboy in the CCHA now,he'll have a rep and will get more calls on hi than he does now.

Any other coach but Comley (OK maybe Joe Marsh),and there would have been different suspensions for the two players.No way conboy's hit was bad as as the psycho slash.

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Conboy leaves MSU

You can read about HERE.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:18 PM
le_sean

Nice. Sign him up, get him to the AHL and let him actually fight.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Can't say I'm surprised.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:20 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Interesting. Guess he could be headed for the ECHL maybe.

Old
01-27-2009, 03:21 PM
kostitsyn1489

He doesnt need to learn to fight he needs to learn to play hockey. Which is why being in the NCAA was the best option. Kinda sucks that things happen the way they did.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:23 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Bob Gainey calls you and offers a contract......what do you do?.
Break out the cham-pag-knee and get pissed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
He doesnt need to learn to fight he needs to learn to play hockey. Which is why being in the NCAA was the best option. Kinda sucks that things happen the way they did.
Agreed, especially since I don't think what he did was that bad. Granted it was wrong and stupid but to get the boot for the rest of the year is a bit much imo. But then again I thought they went overboard on the Perezhogin suspension so I guess I'm just a homer.

Last edited by montreal: 01-27-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old
01-27-2009, 03:25 PM
googlymoogly

Conboy v Lucic Sunday January 21

Actually Conboy would get destroyed he needs to get heavier and stronger and probably will be better in the ECHL than NCAA.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
A bit OT but wasn't the guy Perezhogin slashed suspended as well on the play.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
A big 6 games if I remember correctly.

Old
01-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Interesting. Guess he could be headed for the ECHL maybe.
While it's too bad he left under a cloud, I'd be interested to see how he competes against East Coast competition.

Quote:
19. Andrew Conboy- LW. Conboy uses his large frame well to take the body often as he can crush players along the boards or in open ice. The 20 year old has had his ups and downs with injuries and off ice concerns, as his team sits at the bottom of the CCHA after winning a national championship just two years ago. With five points in 17 games, Conboy has racked up 66 pims over that span and in the two games I've seen him play this year he didn't appear to be shy throwing the body around with some very solid hits. He will need to work on rounding out other parts of his game, but he is playing for one of the top coaches in the NCAA who is among the top coachs in all time wins.
Anything to add to this? What kind of off-ice concerns are we talking about?

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:34 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Yea but it was only a small handful of games compared to Perezhogin's full season. What makes me mad, is that Perezhogin was ripping it up, was the best player in the series, so the barons players started taking shots at him, hooks/checks/ etc.... trying to get him off his game, which in the end they did, but it was stafford that took the first swing, but missed, so he gets a slap on the wrist, Perezhogin connects and gets a 1 year.

It was the case of a team getting outplayed in the playoffs by a skilled player in the playoffs so they had to resort to cheap taticts (which I can understand) but then it gets thrown back in their face and the person that started it gets next to nothing because he missed his swing. Total Bull **** but to be expected from the noob they have running the AHL.