HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund: Habs and Kaberle

Old
01-27-2009, 02:34 PM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Eklund: Habs and Kaberle

Rumors are going around according to Eklund that Gainey is talking to the Leafs about Kaberle.

According to a source there could be possibly 3 trades made to bolster the Habs offence!

....it's hard enough to make one trade in the new NHL, but 3???

Come on....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...t-Mean/1/19060

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

why bother posting if you already know its BS?

I wonder about people sometimes.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Boulette Cannon

"I will have more in the 2pm hour."
-Eklund

Liar.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:42 PM
wolfinhabsclothing

I've been hoping that the Habs would go after Kaberle for a while. He's signed, for two more years I think, at $4.25 million or so. He could help the PP this year and it would be comforting to know that Markov, Hamrlik, Gorges, and he (Kaberle) would be locked up for the next season or two - just to cover us if Komi looks elsewhere. Hey, and if Komisarek does want to stay - what an awesome D we would have. We would need to lose a forward, next year, though (Kovalev, Tanguay, Koivu I mean).

Having said that, it's obvious that he's available and the type of guy the Habs would look at. It doesn't take a genius, which Ek certainly isn't, to run with a rumor like that (or make it up).

The down side of all this is that if it's on Ek's site there's a 90% chance it won't happen!

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:42 PM
CPrice

Eklund is phony E100

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:45 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
why bother posting if you already know its BS?

I wonder about people sometimes.
It's a rumor, and lets face it this sight was built on that and the majority of us are here to see who is saying what in regards to trades.

Even though it is highly unlikely, it does spark conversation and debate on how it could work and who would be involved.

Eklund is taking this on the fact that the boys on TSN said the Habs should be interested in Kaberle when. This was on Sports Centre last night when they were asked who the Habs should be looking at.

Old
01-27-2009, 02:47 PM
GoodKiwi

Not sure I want to give the Leafs any assets in return.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50

Name three people looking to profit at the trade deadline.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

i will give you reasons why this rumor, and the aquistion of Kaberle makes zero sense.

- When was the last time montreal and toronto made a major trade?
-why would Gainey give up his young assets to a rival team in his own division?
-Kaberle is absolutely what we do not need. We have a team of passers, no shooters. Kaberle is a QB just like Markov, what do you want them to do? Pass it back and forth to eachother until the goalie gets bored?
-he is NOT a physical or gritty defender which is what we would need
-doesnt have a great shot

In saying that he is a great player, but he does not fill the needs the habs need right now.

what could you possibly discuss?
not every available player should be traded to the habs

Old
01-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I just can't picture Higgins playing for the Leafs

Forget a trade with Toronto,I know it happened with Grabovski but I doubt it will happen with Burke as the GM.Remember when he wanted Rivet and Bob traded him to San Jose?.Once again "we are" in the race so the price to get him is higher

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:16 PM
WeezyHabFan

Kaberle So when are the "Kaberle to Montreal" threads starting?

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:20 PM
AlexMeth

Quote:
i will give you reasons why this rumor, and the aquistion of Kaberle makes zero sense.

-Kaberle is absolutely what we do not need. We have a team of passers, no shooters. Kaberle is a QB just like Markov, what do you want them to do? Pass it back and forth to eachother until the goalie gets bored?

In saying that he is a great player, but he does not fill the needs the habs need right now.

makes sense to me.

- You're right, Toronto and Montreal are in the same division but we aren't rivals. The Bruins are the real rivals (in terms of points)
- We could use a guy like Kaberle at 4.25 (Markov 5.75) if we lose Markov in a greater trade involving a gifted centerman that plays in Tampa for instance.
- Is Markov physical or gritty?

AlexMeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:21 PM
le_sean

Burke is pretty old school. I don't know if he would move a player of Kaberle's calibre to a division rival. Granted he can't be picky in these situations either, he'll take the best package.

The advantage of Kaberle is that he still has two years left at 4.25 a year which is one hell of a bargain. The problem is this team does not get any tougher.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

It seems that the "source" (or Eklund) is suggesting that Kaberle would be brought in to replace Markov, who of course would be sent to TB for Lecavalier. It seems improbable.

Even though Markov would defray the otherwise huge cost for Lecavalier, Kaberle would cost a small fortune, and I'm not sure that the Habs have enough in the treasury to make both trades, at least not without dipping into the gold reserves by giving away Pacioretty, McDonagh, Subban.

It would be nice to see an old fashioned hockey trade for a change.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMeth View Post
makes sense to me.

- You're right, Toronto and Montreal are in the same division but we aren't rivals. The Bruins are the real rivals (in terms of points)
- We could use a guy like Kaberle at 4.25 (Markov 5.75) if we lose Markov in a greater trade involving a gifted centerman that plays in Tampa for instance.
- Is Markov physical or gritty?
no youre right, montreal-toronto- rivals? nooo. never happened. Just because theyre not at the top this year-the re-build is underway, hence trading propspects and picks their way would make that a quicker transition.
-why would you trade for kaberle then trade markov? Markov is superior and has always wanted to play here, makes no sense.
- and no markov is not physical or gritty, hence why we dont need a slightly less version of him.

its like you guys want to lose in the playoffs.

Old
01-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:

I respectfully disagree and here is why

- Kaberle is an adept puck moving d-man
- Transition is the name of the game
- Hamrlik - Kaberle is a #1 Pair on alot of teams
- Having Two #1 puck moving pairs ensures an even greater 5 on 5 play
- Improve your 5 v 5, reduce your dependence on Special Teams (which is improving btw) making you a deadlier team

Although Kaberle doesn't have a great shot or isn't that gritty you do cannot deny that he would make this team muuch better then we are today.

We are a team that relies on our speed through the neutral zone to burn other teams. Whenever we can do this we roll over other teams with our 3 lines, if we can add Kaberle it will make us more consistent at implementing our will in this way.

Two #1 Pairs guys... 2

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:39 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Kaberle isn't the Answer

You need more size to compete with the Bruins, Kubina, Poni, and Antropov are your way to the a Cup in your 100th year. Show us the Prospects and the Draft Picks and a June Parade is almost guarenteed.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:47 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
I respectfully disagree and here is why

- Kaberle is an adept puck moving d-man
- Transition is the name of the game
- Hamrlik - Kaberle is a #1 Pair on alot of teams
- Having Two #1 puck moving pairs ensures an even greater 5 on 5 play
- Improve your 5 v 5, reduce your dependence on Special Teams (which is improving btw) making you a deadlier team

Although Kaberle doesn't have a great shot or isn't that gritty you do cannot deny that he would make this team muuch better then we are today.

We are a team that relies on our speed through the neutral zone to burn other teams. Whenever we can do this we roll over other teams with our 3 lines, if we can add Kaberle it will make us more consistent at implementing our will in this way.

Two #1 Pairs guys... 2
you could have added : his more than decent salary may give us a chance to resign every forward we want to (almost) next year.

-> Dandeneault, Begin and Bouillon salary = Kaberle salary...

also, the Markov on the right side on PP didnt work cause we had nobody on D to set him up properly... now we would.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Burke is pretty old school. I don't know if he would move a player of Kaberle's calibre to a division rival. Granted he can't be picky in these situations either, he'll take the best package.

The advantage of Kaberle is that he still has two years left at 4.25 a year which is one hell of a bargain. The problem is this team does not get any tougher.
But Burke can't actually bargain with too many teams because Kaberle has a NTC. Burke would look ridiculous if he raised the price on a trade and then Kaberle refuses and he has to sidetrack to a lower offer.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:48 PM
InPriceWeTrust

Quote:

shut up.

Toronto and Montreal would make the trade if it benefited the both of them this season, rivals or not

and Kaberle would be a perfect fit for what we need on D

and guaranteed would come for a much cheaper price then say a defenceman in florida

People have been talking about the possibility of kaberle all season long....

InPriceWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
It seems that the "source" (or Eklund) is suggesting that Kaberle would be brought in to replace Markov, who of course would be sent to TB for Lecavalier. It seems improbable.

Even though Markov would defray the otherwise huge cost for Lecavalier, Kaberle would cost a small fortune, and I'm not sure that the Habs have enough in the treasury to make both trades, at least not without dipping into the gold reserves by giving away Pacioretty, McDonagh, Subban.

It would be nice to see an old fashioned hockey trade for a change.
Well maybe, like I've suggested before, they are getting it wrong and it is Kaberle who will go to Tampa Bay if he agrees prior to being traded to the Habs. If Tampa are looking for a #1 D, why not offer them Kaberle. He costs less than Markov too, so it fits with their financial problems.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you could have added : his more than decent salary may give us a chance to resign every forward we want to (almost) next year.

-> Dandeneault, Begin and Bouillon salary = Kaberle salary...

also, the Markov on the right side on PP didnt work cause we had nobody on D to set him up properly... now we would.
yeah i kinda was trying to hint at puck movement and transition alot. and yes... Having Kaberle at 4.25 for another year how awesome is that? It's a 100x smarter decision then getting LeCavalier (In terms of Cap management not talent people)

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Well maybe, like I've suggested before, they are getting it wrong and it is Kaberle who will go to Tampa Bay if he agrees prior to being traded to the Habs. If Tampa are looking for a #1 D, why not offer them Kaberle. He costs less than Markov too, so it fits with their financial problems.
That's a good point. It might make sense too because TB probably wants players to offset the loss of VL by fielding a competitive team right now, whereas Burke would probably like to rob Gainey of some of his prospects and take a little bit of time to rebuild properly.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Adam91

Kaberle can feed Markov one-tees on the PP!!!

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 04:28 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:

Well I'm not adding fuel to the fire or trying to back up Eklund, but Gainey offer Grabovski, Higgins and a 1st last year for Sundin so why would you say they wouldn't be trading partners?

Vancouver and Anaheim have done it, Flyers have done it with rivals like Washington so it has been done and it does take place.

I'm sure if Gainey could use Kaberle to get Vinnie, or to trade another asset on his team to get Vinnie to replace that said asset he would.

This deal is out there, but not totally out of reality.