HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Isles could be non-players at the deadline

Old
01-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
And third, the poster in question assumes that NYI's "vets" will yield worthwhile returns (as deemed by NYI management).
Wellllll, I didn't state that above or in this thread, but if you've gathered that from other posts I've made here, then I'm flattered to know someone's reading.

Quote:
You do not move anyone just for the sake of moving them. That's poor asset management.
Ohhhh, it hurts to think that anyone would think I'd even insinuate this, though I'm sure this was just a "general state of the nation" type of statement, per se.

WARNING - the following is of a sensitive nature and could hurt lots of Islanders' fans feelings. Continue with caution!

Folks shouldn't be disappointed if Snow DOES move guys like Weight, Comrie and Witt, to name just a few, for things (unheard of prospects or unworthy round picks) FANS may see as being too little or interpret as having been moved just for the sake of making a trade. The reason: we don't know if
A) there's a handshake deal that a UFA like Weight, Comrie or Guerin will return on July 1st.
B) we're just making room so that guys we need to know about like Colliton and Walter can get 20 games of make-or-break-it time under their belts.
C) the team is certain it's not resigning certain players because it's gonna target other upcoming UFAs this summer.

Simply put, there are very legitimate reasons for this team to be active at the upcoming trade deadline.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 01-27-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Chapin Landvogt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Wellllll, I didn't state that above or in this thread, but if you've gathered that from other posts I've made here, then I'm flattered to know someone's reading.
You stated this...

Quote:
Pretty much any and every GM in Snow's position in the past 25 years or so (i.e. young rebuilding team featuring several older players with a modicum of trade value) has sent pretty much any and everyone of his upcoming UFA veterans by the trade deadline.
Not to nitpick, but it's not only a major exaggeration, it implies that Snow can send "pretty much any and everyone of his upcoming UFA veterans by the trade deadline". I'm highly doubtful.

Quote:
Simply put, there are very legitimate reasons for this team to be active at the upcoming trade deadline.
No disagreement there. But there are legitimate reasons for the team not to be active, as well. Namely, interest. Worthwhile interest. With the exception of guerin, who has a NTC, every Isles vet who may be marketable at the deadline has been, or is, injured (Witt, Weight, Sillinger, Sutton, Comrie) and/or unproductive (Witt, Comrie).

Not nearly as attractive as some NYI fans may wish. And it takes two to dance. Put it this way: I don't wish to move Doug Weight for a middling draft pick, just because - horrors - he's older and an impending UFA.

Last edited by Trottier: 01-27-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling; punctuation
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Bold Statement

Ohhhh, and for those who think Guerin and Weight should not be moved because it's disrespectful or something to that degree.... this is a business. A GM can take player's wishes into consideration, but his moves can't just be based on those considerations. If he's worried about what kind of message that sends to future UFAs looking to sign here, he should remember that even more future UFAs will see the GM looking to improve the team in any means possible than getting some "Snow doesn't respect veterans" feeling out of it - especially if the money is right.

If Snow wants to move these two for the benefit of this team, then the amount of his class should begin and end with letting them know of his intentions in advance (i.e. not by calling them to tell them of a trade or having them find out from someone like Botta) and perhaps giving them a bit of a choice in the matter, if there is one.

Now, admittedly, he obviously would have to get permission from Guerin anyways, but if he wants to resign these guys for next season, then he's more or less gotta get their consent and if they don't give it, then he's gotta weigh his options. Giving in might be the best option. That's for him to decide.

If however he's not planning on signing them, then they should be moved if a decent deal comes along, even if he's really got to talk Guerin into it somehow.

Now, if Snow talks to Weight - an extremely respected veteran and rightly so - I can see the following conversation being very, very possible.

Garth: "Hey Dougy, let's talk. Deadline is coming up and there's a good deal for you here. We love you, but we feel this team can improve for the future and we could certainly arrange this so that everyone's happy."

Weight: "Garth, I like it here. I like working with these kids. I've got new life in my veins. I've regained my game. This has become my team. My family is also doing just fine and likes having its dad around - we've got some nice spring outings planned."

Garth: "Glad to hear that, because we'd love to sign you to XXX contract this summer on July 1st, like we've already discussed. We want you here playing and mentoring our boys! You've been wonderful and we can't get enough. Now, I'd like to send you to said contender so that you can have a run at the cup while I give some other boys a shot at regular playing time because we've got some decisions to make with regards to their future here. You're family can stay put and you'll be back by July"

Weight: "Ya, well, I'm not all that keen on playing for another team this year. Moved around a lot in my career, ya know. Did that get traded and go back thing before. I just wanna stick it out here and see this thing through this spring. Basically Garth, if you bother trading me, you're not getting my signature this summer."

Anyone else see something like this being possible???

If this is what a discussion looks like, then I say **** you Doug Weight and get that trade done. This is a business. As simple as that. They are a number of options out there and Snow should never limit himself in any way with respect to how he and the staff wishes to see this rebuild through.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 01-27-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old
01-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
No disagreement there. But there are legitimate reasons for the team not to be active, as well. Namely, interest. Worhtwhile interest. With the exception of guerin, who has a NTC, every Isles vet who may be marketable at the deadline has been, or is, injured (Witt, Weight, Sillinger, Sutton, Comrie) and/or unproductive (Witt, Comrie).
This is true. Snow will have to ultimately decide if he can improve this team for next season by moving these guys or not and if he'd rather have them replaced by kids already in the system or other UFAs entering this summer's UFA market.

Obviously, as you've referred to in a prior post, we hope he doesn't move people just for the sake of making a trade.

Quote:
Not nearly as attractive as some NYI fans may wish. And it takes two to dance. Put it this way: I don,t wish to move doug Weight for a middling draft pick, just because - horrors - he's older and an impending UFA.
I'll echo that. See my opinion on the "possible" Weight situation in the post above, which you may not agree with at all.

As far as value is concerned, if he comes back from injury and plays well for 10-15 games, then I think there'll be a market for him. Sure, no-one is gonna offer us the farm for him, but any deal involving a prospect of some expected value plus a 2nd rounder is something that Snow will likely consider - and rightfully so.

Old
01-27-2009, 04:39 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Garth: "Glad to hear that, because we'd love to sign you to XXX contract this summer on July 1st, like we've already discussed. We want you here playing and mentoring our boys! You've been wonderful and we can't get enough. Now, I'd like to send you to said contender so that you can have a run at the cup while I give some other boys a shot at regular playing time because we've got some decisions to make with regards to their future here. You're family can stay put and you'll be back by July"
This would be tampering, wouldn't it? Unethical at the very least. I think any sort of situation like that would have to be unspoken. Not that it doesn't happen, most likely.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Not to nitpick, but it's not only a major exaggeration, it implies that Snow can send "pretty much any and everyone of his upcoming UFA veterans by the trade deadline". I'm highly doubtful.
Just off hand, I don't think the quoted statement is an exaggeration whatsoever.

The implication you get from it is fair enough. I can follow that.

At the moment, the only upcoming UFA for whom there likely isn't a valid market is Sillinger. But heck, if he could get in a half dozen games, his faceoff abilities alone might get ya a 5th/6th rounder. Not bad for what is looking like really damaged goods who, at this point, may be staring retirement in the face this summer.

All of the others (there aren't many: Guerin, Weight, Comrie) plus a few veterans who might garner interest (Witt, Sutton) can surely bring us back something of value, whether that's a promising prospect, a 2nd/3rd rounder or both.

Now, if I'm proven wrong, then heck, I'm proven wrong.

Alrighty, I gotta get to bed.

Old
01-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
This would be tampering, wouldn't it? Unethical at the very least. I think any sort of situation like that would have to be unspoken. Not that it doesn't happen, most likely.
Well, you might be right about the tampering, but on second thought, I don't believe it is. Don't know if there's an official ruling on that. A GM doesn't have to wait for his upcoming UFA to become a UFA before he talks to him about resigning, does he? I doubt it. In which case, this isn't all that much different. Although with a trade involved.... dunno really?

Wouldn't call it unethical, but no need to publicize it. I'm sure if the league really wanted to eliminate this possibility, they'd implement a rule preventing a player from resigning with his team within one or two years after having been traded from that team.

So, now I'm going to bed.

Old
01-27-2009, 05:16 PM
fancouver

I don't follow the Isles much, but Trent Hunter is of interest.

If Hunter is on the trading block, what do Isles need?

fancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot20 View Post
I don't follow the Isles much, but Trent Hunter is of interest.

If Hunter is on the trading block, what do Isles need?
Hunter is probably not available.