HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Early talks of new Spectrum hockey arena in Bellmawr

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2009, 01:54 AM
  #76
Unstable
Registered User
 
Unstable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Exiled in NoVA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 500
I got a WaWa t-shirt to make myself feel better.

Those of you who do now know the Way of the Wa should be ashamed.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 07:23 AM
  #77
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street View Post
1. Wawa > Sheetz!!! Where I go to school it's only Sheetz and Turky Hill (yack)
2. Sonic is great
3. Move the Phantoms to A.C.
4. Mike Richards is Cannon
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes!
4. Amen.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:44 PM
  #78
FlyerCub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I live just off of Street Road. Maybe I wasn't close enough to 95.
Go east on Street Road past Hulmeville Road, it's on the left before the I-95 ramp wedged between Texas Roadhouse and Golden Corral.

FlyerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 12:48 PM
  #79
rainrock
Registered User
 
rainrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Id love that, a true local team to root for, i hope the phantoms dont call them selves Philadelphia if they move over hear to Jersey. That peeves me. If Jersey residents have to pay taxes for this project and then get ****ed by that ********. I hope it happens, it'll bring a lot of people to Jersey for events. And its actually a good location because the 295 42 interchange is a highly traveled spot. I76 meets there I676 meets there as does route 55. Its minutes from the Walt Whitman and Ben Franklin so its not a huge deal for player call ups, and the Deptford mall is 5 minutesaway as well, so there is a lot of buisness near by. I support it, and I hope the team adopts the new location's name.
Short sighted perspective bordering on isolationalism with the mandatory name change from Philadelphia.Not to ignite a flame war but I'm not sure South Jersey could support a franchise without the 4 million people from PA.

The Bellmawr Phantoms doesnt quite capture the imagination. It's fine if South Jersey recruited a franchise from outside the region and decided NOT to use a Philadelphia tag, but to cherry pick a Philadelphia franchise and demanding a name change is a bit out of touch imo.

I'm surprised The Flyers dont try to create a bond with the wealthy PA suburbs. King of Prussia/Media/West Chester/ Plymouth Township/Doylestown etc.. The practice facility being Voorhees lends a huge South Jersey/Flyers relationship which is great.On the otherside of the fence there seems to be a distant icy relationship between the PA suburbanites and the Flyers. Once you get outside of the middle class communities like Ridley and Upper Darby the Flyers are completely off the radar screen.

I think its a perfect match to build this "new spectrum" in the western suburbs which has 2x the population of South Jersey and can draw in more interest from nearby Lehigh Valley,Wilmington, Lancaster/York areas.

rainrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 02:58 PM
  #80
Breeze 44
Registered User
 
Breeze 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
Bellmawr is not that nice of an area. But it looks like the stadium would kind of be in the middle of no where.
You really don't know where Bellmawr is do you......it's a blue collar town that is just off rt. 42 not some out of the way village or some inner-city area. That would be a great place and could probably attract some youth teams or a Junior program for the kids in the South Jersey area as well as some nearby PA residents. Hope it happens!!!

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 06:14 PM
  #81
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,102
vCash: 500
Wawa tuna salad on a toasted kaiser with a lil mayo, lettuce, tomato, sweets and provolone. Oh man, there isn't much better.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:34 PM
  #82
rainrock
Registered User
 
rainrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHockey1967 View Post

Other than that, hockey is pretty much a niche sport. Even if they tried, I'm not sure the Flyers could get any more market penetration here. There isn't much of an audience, from what I've seen.
I agree its a niche sport but I think the Flyers could be doing a much better job at public relations especially in the NW suburbs.

I'm not sure what the reason was for the Flyers practice facility being located in South jersey was but it was a great marketing strategy. South jersey became a Flyer stronghold, perhaps even a tighter bond with the flyers than the city of Philadlephia and definitely moreso than the Philadephia suburbs. There is definite sense of pride and community regarding South jersey and the Flyers and of course the city of Philadelphia and the Flyers.

Chester Springs,West Chester,King of Prussia,Plymouth Meeting,North Wales nothing, not even a pulse as far as the Flyers are concerned becasue theyve basically been shunned. As you said a niche sport can't do that. The Eagles and PHillies can get away with it but there are alot of potential ticket buyers/fans that have been left out of the loop in the NW burbs. 2,500,000 of them.

If you put the Phantoms out there and had the Flyers practice/scrimmage occassionally ? who knows. Makes more sense to build that arena in King of Prussia than South Jersey imo.

rainrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:54 PM
  #83
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I agree its a niche sport but I think the Flyers could be doing a much better job at public relations especially in the NW suburbs.

I'm not sure what the reason was for the Flyers practice facility being located in South jersey was but it was a great marketing strategy. South jersey became a Flyer stronghold, perhaps even a tighter bond with the flyers than the city of Philadlephia and definitely moreso than the Philadephia suburbs. There is definite sense of pride and community regarding South jersey and the Flyers and of course the city of Philadelphia and the Flyers.

Chester Springs,West Chester,King of Prussia,Plymouth Meeting,North Wales nothing, not even a pulse as far as the Flyers are concerned becasue theyve basically been shunned. As you said a niche sport can't do that. The Eagles and PHillies can get away with it but there are alot of potential ticket buyers/fans that have been left out of the loop in the NW burbs. 2,500,000 of them.

If you put the Phantoms out there and had the Flyers practice/scrimmage occassionally ? who knows. Makes more sense to build that arena in King of Prussia than South Jersey imo.
I think they did it for tax reasons actually. I'm not really sure what the deal was and I don't think it applies to the same extent anymore, but that's what my dad told me a few times. Tough to doubt him since he was, ya know, much more alive at the time than I was.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 08:55 PM
  #84
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Plus, Wawa gas stations are the cheapest around me.

Cant get enough of a Wawa grilled Chicken parm. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

the build ur order touch screen menu ****ing rules.

**** sheets.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 10:39 PM
  #85
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I'm a pretty big fan, of the buffalo chicken sandwich from wawa. I wish it was a little hotter but it's all good. Damn, I could go for one now. Band practice makes me hungry.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 08:18 AM
  #86
Kambo
 
Kambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
I'm a fan of the Italian Ciabatta melt. ****'s ****ing gooood. But I'll agree about the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich. If it was a bit hotter, it would be perfection, but it's still full of deliciousness at the same time.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:56 AM
  #87
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
The bacon, ham and egg ciabatta melt is nucking futs too. Im bout to head on over to wawa...

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:29 AM
  #88
Sundevil9
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I think they did it for tax reasons actually. I'm not really sure what the deal was and I don't think it applies to the same extent anymore, but that's what my dad told me a few times. Tough to doubt him since he was, ya know, much more alive at the time than I was.
The Flyers, like many NHL teams were kind of nomads when it came to practice facilities in the 1970's and 1980's. Generally, they floated between the Spectrum and Penn. They got the deal to partner up with the Coliseum in Vorhees, it offered players a decent inexpensive place to live (remember NHL salaries at the time were generally less than $100k), and the Flyers got to be the priority in the building.

Having and now owning that facility is a great tool in attracting free agents.

If the Phantoms moved to Bellmawr, it would be a great advantage to the players, as they can just center their lives between Vorhees and Bellmawr, and they'd still only be a 20 minute drive call up to the Flyers.

Sundevil9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 09:39 AM
  #89
sharkeyanti
Registered User
 
sharkeyanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

I'm surprised The Flyers dont try to create a bond with the wealthy PA suburbs. King of Prussia/Media/West Chester/ Plymouth Township/Doylestown etc.. The practice facility being Voorhees lends a huge South Jersey/Flyers relationship which is great.On the otherside of the fence there seems to be a distant icy relationship between the PA suburbanites and the Flyers. Once you get outside of the middle class communities like Ridley and Upper Darby the Flyers are completely off the radar screen.

I think its a perfect match to build this "new spectrum" in the western suburbs which has 2x the population of South Jersey and can draw in more interest from nearby Lehigh Valley,Wilmington, Lancaster/York areas.

A couple things:

1. I live in Doylestown when I'm not at school, and there's a fair amount of Flyers fans in the central Bucks County Area. I think the King of Prussia area as well as the Main Line would be way harder to sell, the people seem to be fairly indifferent to hockey. The area that I live is a mix of fairly wealthy residents, Philly transplants, and non-professionals (excluding the mass of lawyers in Doylestown proper, we've got the county courthouse). That said, many people in Bucks and Montgomery counties seem to want something new in the area. Doylestown and New Hope are kitschy and attract a diverse crowd. But the residents are fairly jaded with many of the offerings available in the area. So I think a "new Spectrum" would be welcomed in the area. Sadly though, the wealthy residents despise anything that say "higher taxes," which is why it's taken 30 years to Build the Bypass (it's actually going through my backyard!). Residents under the age of 55 who are from the area would probably support a facility, but the wealthiest would nix any ideas. And despite their far lower numbers in the county, the "Bucks County elite" hold most of the power in local government.

2. WaWa is amazing, it's a fact. There are about 5 of them within driving range for me. DC on the other, has none. I've heard there are some in Maryland, as well as at College Park. So maybe I'll venture up the Metro there sometime.

sharkeyanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:03 AM
  #90
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,485
vCash: 1503
A possible New Years' Eve demolition of the current Spectrum, according to the Daily News.
Quote:

"Tentatively, New Year's Eve," said Lou Scheinfeld, the original Spectrum executive who came back to shepherd the yearlong closing of the building. "At least that's my idea right now."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
  #91
rayearth
Registered User
 
rayearth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeyanti View Post
2. WaWa is amazing, it's a fact. There are about 5 of them within driving range for me. DC on the other, has none. I've heard there are some in Maryland, as well as at College Park. So maybe I'll venture up the Metro there sometime.
Wawa is awesome. There are at least 8 that I visit just in my immediate area.

There's a group of girls from West Chester that are on a quest to visit every one and are nearly done.
http://wawa2010.blogspot.com/

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:24 AM
  #92
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Wawa is awesome. There are at least 8 that I visit just in my immediate area.

There's a group of girls from West Chester that are on a quest to visit every one and are nearly done.
http://wawa2010.blogspot.com/
That's kind of a sweet/weird idea.

I'd probably do it, if I could.

I'm gonna hit up wawa in a little bit. Lunch time!

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:19 PM
  #93
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
That's kind of a sweet/weird idea.

I'd probably do it, if I could.

I'm gonna hit up wawa in a little bit. Lunch time!
ive been to everyone one south of bordentown. thats what i did for spring break in 2006.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 06:07 PM
  #94
flyersfan97
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
A possible New Years' Eve demolition of the current Spectrum, according to the Daily News.
So sad, I think this means that the time is now to hang some new banners at Wachovia.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.