HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Old
01-26-2009, 06:50 PM
JVR or Bust
Crease Crasher

vCash: 500
Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Shark fans, quick question for you guys.

Would you trade Vlasic straight up for either Phil Kessel or David Krejci?

JVR or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Christianmichael27

Na. He has a lot of upside. He's great at what he does and he's only 21

Christianmichael27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:54 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post

No. We have plenty of offence-focused forwards (Thornton, Marleau, Setoguchi, Pavelski, Clowe, Michalek, Cheechoo when he isn't hurt or sucking).

As awesome as Blake and Boyle are, it's Vlasic that holds this D together. He's Mr. Everything on the blueline.

Furthermore, it's much easier to get a high-end offensive forward than it is to get a high-end two-way defenceman. I mean, how many of those are in the league compared to how many scorers are in the league?

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 06:57 PM
CHALUPA

Quote:

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Boston this year (unfortunately). From what I hear about Krejci though, I'd have to think about it. Because I haven't seen Krejci, I'd want to stick with Vlasic, because Vlasic is such a good all-around player on the blueline. If he strengthens up a little bit, and plays a tad more physical, he'll be unbelievable defensively (he's already got great stickwork).

CHALUPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Kitten Mittons

Krejci is pimp but we need quality Dman on our team.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:02 PM
JVR or Bust
Crease Crasher

Quick little FYI tidbit

I was having a disagreement with a poster in the Leaf forum, who seems to think San Jose would jump at the chance to trade Vlasic for Kessel or Krejci. What he fails to realize is that Vlasic is a twenty-one year old stud defencemen, averaging something like 24 minutes a night usually playing against the other teams top pairing. I just did a quick check and Vlasic has 24 points, which doesn't seem to jump out until you consider the fact he has 16 points in his last 27 games and is a whopping +17. I'm almost certain he is looked at as the face of the Shark blueline for many years to come.

Not bad for the 35th pick overall.

Old
01-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

Furthermore, it's much easier to get a high-end offensive forward than it is to get a high-end two-way defenceman. I mean, how many of those are in the league compared to how many scorers are in the league?
This..

Quote:
I'm almost certain he is looked at as the face of the Shark blueline for many years to come.
And this.

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:17 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
So a Stud D man for a kid with mono ...

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Rathmar

Quote:
Quick little FYI tidbit

I was having a disagreement with a poster in the Leaf forum, who seems to think San Jose would jump at the chance to trade Vlasic for Kessel or Krejci. What he fails to realize is that Vlasic is a twenty-one year old stud defencemen, averaging something like 24 minutes a night usually playing against the other teams top pairing. I just did a quick check and Vlasic has 24 points, which doesn't seem to jump out until you consider the fact he has 16 points in his last 27 games and is a whopping +17. I'm almost certain he is looked at as the face of the Shark blueline for many years to come.

Not bad for the 35th pick overall.
He's also the second round pick San Jose got in the Kipprusoff trade. After Kipper's first year with the Flames everyone went on about how badly the Sharks got hosed in the deal, but in retrospect I'd say things worked out pretty well all told.

Rathmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 07:53 PM
matt trick

The fact that you offered either of those two, shows that you have a very solid idea of his worth.

Vlasic is playing like a #1 d-man, those two are playing like first line forwards. But contract status and team needs would never allow the Sharks to do this deal. Both those guys are RFA, and the last 80 point (Getzlaf, Perry, Vanek) forwards have gotten 5 mill plus, Vlasic makes 3.1. The Sharks have 6 high end offensive forwards and only 2 top pairing d-man (Blake is, but could be gone next year). They couldn't make a one for one swap.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
JVR or Bust
Crease Crasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
The fact that you offered either of those two, shows that you have a very solid idea of his worth.

Vlasic is playing like a #1 d-man, those two are playing like first line forwards. But contract status and team needs would never allow the Sharks to do this deal. Both those guys are RFA, and the last 80 point (Getzlaf, Perry, Vanek) forwards have gotten 5 mill plus, Vlasic makes 3.1. The Sharks have 6 high end offensive forwards and only 2 top pairing d-man (Blake is, but could be gone next year). They couldn't make a one for one swap.
I was on your side.

Last edited by SpinTheBlackCircle: 01-26-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: no need for the snark
Old
01-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Lars Bjorn

As a side response to the topic of Vlasic being the face of our defense for years to come...
People started looking at him as the face of the D for years to come when he showed up his rookie year and was outstanding. There were a few blips last year, and he is better than ever now. With all that said, I submit that Dan Boyle is an all-star and should be a Norris candidate, as well as being under contract for 'years to come', and should be under consideration for that title. Vlasic plays more minutes and is very steady, and may be the glue, but Dan pushes the pace more (very important for our team success), is flashier and scores more (better for being 'face' of the defense), and again, he may not be young, but he still going to be around for some time. The counter-argument here is that Dan Boyle will get slow as he gets further past 30, and lose a lot from that, making Vlasic stand out more with the strengths he already possess, but I think he *may* have what it takes to keep up (more or less) his pace for several more years, and its too soon to write him off.

Lars Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
I wouldn't trade Pickles unless it was grossly in favor of SJ. He's the future of this teams defense.

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

I love Kessel, but I love Pickles. Vlasic is good, too. Of the three, I'd take Vlasic.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Tealblood

Krejci is a center, we're somewhat stacked in that position, and despite injuries we've been pretty deep on offense in general. Vlasic plays a key role especially when luko or blake are out.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 11:49 PM
glasgow26

in terms of value, Vlasic straight up for one of those guys is pretty fair. however, it just wouldn't make any sense from the Sharks perspective as Vlasic is very valuable to the team. the Sharks have plenty of depth at the forward position, especially at center, and the blueline would take a huge hit if Vlasic was moved for a forward.

glasgow26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:47 AM
DarKarTs

Send a message via AIM to DarKarTs Send a message via MSN to DarKarTs Send a message via Skype™ to DarKarTs
Bruins wouldn't do this either.

DarKarTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:35 AM
param

vCash: 50
i wouldn't trade vlasic for lecavalier...wrong board?

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 09:56 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
in terms of value, Vlasic straight up for one of those guys is pretty fair.

I sort of agree witht his to an extent. If Vlasic ads any semblance of physicality to his game then he will simply become a stud. His stick work is very good and hes starting to show some offensive flair and improved skating ability. At his age, with what the Sharks have in the prospect pool, you really cant move the kid.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:46 AM
renodave

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
I sort of agree witht his to an extent. If Vlasic ads any semblance of physicality to his game then he will simply become a stud. His stick work is very good and hes starting to show some offensive flair and improved skating ability. At his age, with what the Sharks have in the prospect pool, you really cant move the kid.
Vlasic is never going to be a physical defenseman due to his stature. He will become more in the mold of a Scott Niedermeyer when he gains more skill and confidence with his offensive game and puck moving abilities. As far as trades are concerned, I suspect Vlasic is untouchable unless another team dramtically overpays. The Boston forwards are not an overpayment.

renodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:06 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburdick View Post
Vlasic is never going to be a physical defenseman due to his stature.
Its not about being a physical defenseman, its about being willing to throw a hit. Vlasic needs to bulk up some, hes still basically a child and needs to get stronger to add the ability to move a body when needed. There are times when he simply gets overpowered in the corners and down low. Im not expecting open ice hits or anything.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Dark Shadows

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Its not about being a physical defenseman, its about being willing to throw a hit. Vlasic needs to bulk up some, hes still basically a child and needs to get stronger to add the ability to move a body when needed. There are times when he simply gets overpowered in the corners and down low. Im not expecting open ice hits or anything.
Vlasic plays a more "Lidstromesque" game, and hitting is not in his metier. He is already bigger than Lidstrom, but I do not see him getting much bigger. Thus far, Vlasic is already a terrific defenseman and there is no way I would trade a guy developing into a top blueliner for scoring forwards.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 12:59 PM
HipCzech
Just win the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburdick View Post
Vlasic is never going to be a physical defenseman due to his stature. He will become more in the mold of a Scott Niedermeyer when he gains more skill and confidence with his offensive game and puck moving abilities. As far as trades are concerned, I suspect Vlasic is untouchable unless another team dramtically overpays. The Boston forwards are not an overpayment.
Agreed. Niedermeyer picks his spots when to be physical and I've seen it from Vlasic once in a while. Hopefully as he gets older and matures he will incorporate it more frequently into his game.

Anybody here see Vlasic play in juniors? How physical was he?

HipCzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 06:21 PM
BCShark

i think someone should do a vlasic kessel in main, might be interesting

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Dan K211
Jaws

About the only thing missing from Vlasic's game is a quick accurate point shot. I'd say that is his most lacking skill at this point.

Whoever said stud Dmen are harder to find than stud forwards is right on. Promising young Dmen are just rare and should be valued more than promising young forwards, all things being equal.

Dan K211 is offline   Reply With Quote