HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post game thread (Habs lose 5-3)

Old
01-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Rockomax

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
We're HabPolar tonight. Even worse I think I ate the blue pill. Not really sure now, maybe I ate the red one. I can't find any of them.

I need
haha

btw, I saw that Komisarek was wearing the "A" even though Higgins came back tonight...do you guys think it will be permanent, or maybe I missed something?

Rockomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

This team is painful when they lose.

Just a huge lack of character on this team.

This team is more than a 4th D away. Our lines are terrible, besides the lapierre line. There is no chemistry, this team dosent look together.

ugh.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:57 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Kaberle and Bouwmesteer wouldn't have made a difference tonight. We need a trop 6 forward that brings some grit on it!
Wow, I think its the absolute opposite.. Markov and Komi have been great, after that OByrne was our third best defenseman, the rest was quite atrocious, Hamrlik is looking like a pretty old vet lately, Gorges is clearly exposed and Bouillon sucks too.. A guy like Bouwmeester would have made a huge difference tonight, both even stregth and on the PP..

He had a ton of scoring chances all the game long, we have been pretty unlucky, defensive mistakes made by our defensemen made the difference.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Wow great argument, I didn't think of that one....Don't worry, unlike you, I'm still capable of judging my team severely and being frustrated about it and still be behind it. I don't have to pretend as if everything is fine just for the idea that I'm soooo faithful to it.
When I saw this team at the start of the season I said, "This team will win a Stanley Cup".

I'm going to stick to that until the team proves me wrong instead of getting worked up over losing a game to the Tampa Bay Lightning. Where Price is still trying to get back in his groove. Where Koivu is just one game off his return. Where Higgins just returned. Where the Kostitsyn's have proven they can't play defense together. Where the lines are being juggled again.

I'm not acting like everything is fine. Things do need to be done. The way you're acting, and the way others are acting, its as if they only have confidence in this team because the team wears the CH, not with who is actually out there playing.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Raider917

at least there are a lot of free agents that will be gone next year. id rather see a minnesota type team with tougher more defensive players than this type of team.

Raider917 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Bialo Czerwoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Plekanec
Lang
Hamrlik
Bouillon
Gorges

They all played like crap, I dont know whats happening with Plekanec but the guy is quite atrocious since the begin of the season, he is playing without any confidence.. Its time Carbo have a meeting face to face with him..

Our bottom defensemen played like crap again tonight.. Brisebois Gorges Bouillon have been atrocious lately, Hamrlik is having some real tough time as well, certainly not playing like a top 3 at the moment.. Gorges is exposed at the moment, I always thought he was hugely overrated on this board, he has a big heart, a good hockey sense but has pretty limited skills.. He is a good bottom pairing defenseman, nothing more and please Carbo, stop playing him on our PP!!

Lang was sleeping in the first, if he had been a little bit more awake, the game would have been quite different.. Didnt play pretty good in the second and third either..

On the positives, Kovalev was pretty good, had some moments with Paccioretty, was playing with passion, working hard and skating well..Plekanec was clearly the one dragging the line down..

I really liked OByrne tonight, especially in the second and third period, I thought his timing was great and was pretty overall effective..

The rest of the team had a good game in the whole, we have been pretty unlucky tonight but we couldnt score the ****ing goal that could have changed the result of the game.. Lightnings had very little chances but they just scored on about everything, they havent been the best team on the ice tonight, we clearly were.. Thats the kind of games Price dreams of when making nightmares, probably the most frustrating game of the season for him..

I thought we played well and surely deserved better but if we keep playing like that and the ones I wrote above play better hockey, Im not worried at all!
Yep thats pretty much it.

Bialo Czerwoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:59 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Wow great argument, I didn't think of that one....Don't worry, unlike you, I'm still capable of judging my team severely and being frustrated about it and still be behind it. I don't have to pretend as if everything is fine just for the idea that I'm soooo faithful to it.
Well said.
I hate posters who lecture us each time we're saying something negative about the team.

For God sake I don't think anyone can be happy about the last performances...even the players will be first to admit that they sucked in the last 3 games.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:00 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'll forgive the last 4 guys, they have been there more often than not. Plekenac, it's a recurring theme. It's not a confidence thing, he is too predictable, he always makes the same move coming into the zone, this is the freaking NHL, teams scout games.

Another guy that I think needs an extended stay in the press box is S.Kostystyn, he's a non factor in most games, even when he gets points it's mostly because of Andrei or Lang making something happen. With Higgins and Koivu back, I can't see sitting Begin for S.Kost the way he is playing right now.
Agree on S.Kost.. But Lang is Lang, can be tough to play with at time..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:00 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Well said.
I hate posters who lecture us each time we're saying something negative about the team.
Yeah, it gets old very quick. Fortunately there aren't many of those who have closed their eyes and plugged their ears and are awaiting a magical solution that will propel this team to the Cup.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
at least there are a lot of free agents that will be gone next year. id rather see a minnesota type team with tougher more defensive players than this type of team.
Okay people, season's over, Let's go golfing!!!! YEEEPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
He obviously forgot the
no. i drank the koolaid that some of the poster here have been serving up in their preaches the last few days.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
...even the players will be first to admit that they sucked in the last 3 games.
So tell me when they are going to do something about it.... if things go to form, the Habs will lose in Florida Thursday night and all will be well in Habland right?

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

Ah, screw it, I'll join in.

It's too bad we had that hot streak in October, with this horrible scum-sucking bottom-feeding team with no character, no grit, no skill and no talent, we could have drafted Tavares this summer.

No wait, he's a softie, we don't want him.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(

Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
Quote:
+1000

They have to earn their ice time.
Frankly Lang's line was abysmal tonight (and in the 2 games before).

Time to reunite Koivu and Andrei.

I don't think the 2 brothers can play together for very long.
I agree..time to reunite the D'Agostini-Koivu-Kostitsyn line!

Iyathurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Well said.
For God sake I don't think anyone can be happy about the last performances...even the players will be first to admit that they sucked in the last 3 games.
Sure they are.

Doesn't mean we're missing the playoffs.
Doesn't mean we're not a Cup contender.
Doesn't mean we're this terrible team that has no chance at success.

It's not that people are unhappy, its that people over-react to ridiculous amounts and start complaining about every little detail about the team. It's the same thing anytime we lose a string of games. There is no true confidence in this organization anymore. People are just as willing to stab what this club has built in the back after a few bad losses as they are to brag to other fans that we're the best organization in the world after a few wins. The way people give up when the team loses a few is just embarrassing to me.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Raider917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefthanded View Post
Okay people, season's over, Let's go golfing!!!! YEEEPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
if it wasnt so cold i would be doing that already

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-27-2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Next time just type the curse word and let the profanity filter do it's job.
Raider917 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:03 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
So tell me when they are going to do something about it.... if things go to form, the Habs will lose in Florida Thursday night and all will be well in Habland right?
Nah, people here will be planning a parade and praising player X for his performance. Only until we lose a couple more and everything will come down crashing.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
People need to just chill the **** out. Lots of guys are acting like the ****ing season is over. Yes there are issues, yes we have weaknesses, just like every single team.

I, for myself, will reserve my judgement about this team for after the road trip. With the ASG, the injured players coming back, the ******* Akost-Lang-Skost line, and so on, this team needs to get it back together and prove us it can compete night in, night out. Tonight's game was hopefully just the wake-up call they needed.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
What a bunch of pretenders. As soon as this team is faced with adversity, they fold like a cheap tent. No character at all, unless they have 6 regulars out of the lineup.

The playoffs will be the equivalent of a prison ****. A quick 2nd round exit at best. I watched some of that WAS/BOS game and it was depressing watching our game tonight in comparison.

Calling us a cup contender is an absolute travesty.

Is Plekanec still on this team?

Did the Kostitsyn brothers check out after the Ottawa game?

Hamrlik and Gorges have become AHL caliber d-man the last few games.

Ayoye.
....holy overreaction batman.

It's called a slump. It's natural on a young team that was doing so well when they had all those guys out to relax when they start to trickle back.

These things happen. The big difference between tonight and earlier this year is simple: Price has clearly not quite got his timing and rhythm back since his injury. Earlier this season, we'd have won this game 3-2. He'll get going in a couple games and then suddenly everyone will be buying Finals tickets again...

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm curious. The Flames aren't a bottom-feeder so the Habs should show up. Hopefully Price will be back to form by then.

I think you're severely underrating the current roster, myself.

I'm still waiting to read who'd get dropped to make room for said toughness. I can buy Plekanec, if one can produce a credible second-line-plus center with the required attributes, which isn't bloody likely. Otherwise, I can't see how this can realistically be done without making the team significantly worse.

I'm also waiting for people who wail for more grit to look at the Bruins' forward roster. Outside of Lucic, their scorers aren't exactly oozing with toughness.

The "middle of the pack" in the East means on a level with Washington, Philly, New Jersey, and the Rangers, who are all clustered around the same level. Boston is way ahead (and playing over their heads, IMO); the other playoff teams are well behind.

Your "middle of the pack" statement is correct. However, given the situation in the East I fail to see how it is dramatic. Montreal is about as good as any team in that pack, and I think they're better than at least half of them when healthy and playing well. The only problem they have is that due to inane division seeding the best Montreal can hope for is a 4th seed unless Boston comes down to Earth.

Define "zoomed". I think the results of tonight put the Devils on pace for one more point than the Habs, whereas previously this was reserved. I'm not even actually sure they passed Montreal.

Philly losing means that Montreal maintains its fourth rank, if you ignore pointless newspaper standings that don't adjust for games in hand.
Calgary has beaten San Jose twice as well as just about anybody who steps into the Dome the last month. 14 games above .500 don't sound like much but when you consider the Western Conf. is a tougher, more physical conference then the Flames are holding their own better than us. We're in the more finesse-oriented East and are still easily the most weak-kneed team of the current top 5. I see good things with the Habs but see no reason to be overly optimistic. In the playoffs, this crap won't cut it. Aside from a few weeks we just came out of, the team has not shown much. You could say it will all be fine because all the teams we take lightly will be out of the way by the playoffs, but if you don't beat the teams you should on a regular basis, how do you expect to survive gruelling 7 game series?

One of those last season left the Habs with barely anything for Philly and you could say we were stymied by a goalie, but how many times has that happened in every playoff year? It's a tired excuse. We weren't good enough to beat Philly. Maybe we deserved to get it to 6 games, but it didn't because we couldn't force the issue. Really good teams take care of business when they're at their best in the playoffs. The toughness issue doesn't refer to fighting so much as it refers to being able to battle in the trenches or in the blue paint. Right now, the Habs best guys for this seem to be youngsters. I'm pretty disappointed in guys like Higgins, Pleks, Sergei Kosty and sometimes Kovy and A. Kost too.

Higgins needs to do what Lats did and re-model his game to work for an energy or checking line because on the top 2 lines, he's been useless all year. Injuries are ravaging him, I know. But even when he got 27 goals last year, he seemed to have trouble showing up for games where the physical play was heightened. He's still not Plekanec meek, but he's not Koivu either. Koivu or Lapierre are apparently the only two who can fight through it all to excel. Gainey has misread the character of so many on this team to think they had the guts to battle like this. Too many passengers, too much fanciness. And we'd be even pansier with Ryder and Grabovski instead of Lang and Tanguay!

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
The way people give up when the team loses a few is just embarrassing to me.
Losses dont bother me its the lack of effort and to whom these losses have been occurring against lately......

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:08 PM
CaptKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
When I saw this team at the start of the season I said, "This team will win a Stanley Cup".

I'm going to stick to that until the team proves me wrong instead of getting worked up over losing a game to the Tampa Bay Lightning. Where Price is still trying to get back in his groove. Where Koivu is just one game off his return. Where Higgins just returned. Where the Kostitsyn's have proven they can't play defense together. Where the lines are being juggled again.

I'm not acting like everything is fine. Things do need to be done. The way you're acting, and the way others are acting, its as if they only have confidence in this team because the team wears the CH, not with who is actually out there playing.
The way the players have been playing lately how could you have confidence in this team? This has to be the most inconsistent hockey team I have ever watched and it starts with the effort level from the players. I would hate to be the coach of this team. Theres only a select few players you know what you're going to get on any given night and as a coach Guy must hate that. I don't blame Guy either as he's tried sitting guys like Plex, Kovy, the Kostitsyns but they just don't seem to get it. You can always tell when these players are going to have a good game because they come out flying their first shift, but if they don't Guy might as well sit them the whole game cause it seems theres nothing he can do to wake them up

CaptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
And people think we can beat Boston in the playoffs with this team? C'mon...
But 2002! 2004! The difference is we're not surprising anyone. And Boston is infinitely better than those two editions were. They'll be much harder to take care of this time. Of course, we would face them if we settled for 8th.

Old
01-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Losses dont bother me its the lack of effort and to whom these losses have been occurring against lately......
ill agree to that

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Anything can happen....
We may beat Boston in the playoffs
or
miss the playoffs completely.
Both are unlikely, but I'd say based on the team of late number two is more likely. But if you consider the ups and downs of the season and how the Habs are so lethal in March, I will have to go with #2 being the more unlikely scenario.