HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bulldogs sign Conboy!

Old
01-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 500
Another example of punishing results and not actions.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

If you all want to hear the press conference podcast with head coach Rick Comley about this breaking story, you can go HERE and click on the "Rick Comley" link on the left side (it's about the fourth link down).

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
Anything to add to this? What kind of off-ice concerns are we talking about?
Didn't he get in a fight with some football guys?

Or am I confusing him with somebody else?

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:42 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post

It was Kampfer that got body slammed by a football player where his skull got cracked.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post

I think you're confused. From what I've read, I think Conboys' victim is the one who got hurt by some football players. Conboys a good team guy.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:56 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
Anything to add to this? What kind of off-ice concerns are we talking about?
I don't know the full story for why he was suspended early in the season but I heard it was off ice issue and was rumored to involve fighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
It was Kampfer that got body slammed by a football player where his skull got cracked.
Yes that happened, but Conboy also got suspended by his coach for a different incident.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Why? Will it repair the teammate's knee?

You DO realize that almost all knee-on-knee hits are accidental, right? OIne player swerves at the last second to avoid a head-on collision and instead the legs take the brunt of the force.

Anyway, Where does the vigilante nonsense end?

Even the Sheldon Souray incident, where he took on Armstrong who rammed full speed into Koivu, was just another act in a cycle of violence that night. If you will recall, Armstrong very clearly said he rammed Koivu in retaliation for Lapierre's butt-end of Crosby on the opening faceoff!

What did all of this get us other than a bad rep for Lapierre and a game misconduct for Souray, and a risk of concussion for Koivu (thankfully didn't happen)?

You want toughness? Take Crosby's body cleanly during the play, no butt-ending crap!
That's kind of the point, if we take Armstrong at his word. Somebody would have destroyed Lapierre for the butt-end in an NHL that condoned ice-level justice. I doubt that Lapierre would have butt-ended Crosby if there was a real threat of punishment without consequences beyond a 5 minute major and some bloody knuckles.

There would be no cycle of violence if Lapierre had to answer for his cheap shot. It's a zero-sum action - reaction: you butt-end Crosby, you have to fight for your honour, if you have any. Pay the price and spare your teammates. Against Boston, we've actually seen that. A questionable hit leads to a scuffle, but that's the end of it as far as the rest of the two teams are concerned. There's no need for ongoing retribution if the issue is settled right there.

Instead Lapierre goes unscathed and we see a Pittsburgh player take a cheap shot at Koivu. That's how the cycle starts. If a rat can't be made to answer personally for his rat tactics, then it becomes open-season on his teammates, especially the difference-makers, because that's the only way to send a message of deterrence and vengeance that should otherwise be delivered directly by fists to the face of the offender.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

I say, sign him. Another nut case? Fine, Sergei never killed anyone.

We need a guy like that who will actually play and do his job instead of straining his hamstring walking around sending invitations to other members of the Fellowship Of The Fist.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 04:13 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
That's kind of the point, if we take Armstrong at his word. Somebody would have destroyed Lapierre for the butt-end in an NHL that condoned ice-level justice. I doubt that Lapierre would have butt-ended Crosby if there was a real threat of punishment without consequences beyond a 5 minute major and some bloody knuckles.

There would be no cycle of violence if Lapierre had to answer for his cheap shot. It's a zero-sum action - reaction: you butt-end Crosby, you have to fight for your honour, if you have any. Pay the price and spare your teammates. Against Boston, we've actually seen that. A questionable hit leads to a scuffle, but that's the end of it as far as the rest of the two teams are concerned. There's no need for ongoing retribution if the issue is settled right there.

Instead Lapierre goes unscathed and we see a Pittsburgh player take a cheap shot at Koivu. That's how the cycle starts. If a rat can't be made to answer personally for his rat tactics, then it becomes open-season on his teammates, especially the difference-makers, because that's the only way to send a message of deterrence and vengeance that should otherwise be delivered directly by fists to the face of the offender.
If I remember correctly Koivu nailed Armstrong later in the game with a good open ice check and Armstrong had to leave the ice in pain.

An older article
http://www.freep.com/article/2009012...shing+incident
It really seems like Conboy isn't getting the heat that Tropp is with his stick swinging, even Kampfer isn't talking much about Conboy. Kampfer says his neck hurts, I'm thinking getting chopped in the neck with a stick isn't going to feel good. Tropp helped make the incident much worse.

Old
01-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Why? Will it repair the teammate's knee?

You DO realize that almost all knee-on-knee hits are accidental, right? OIne player swerves at the last second to avoid a head-on collision and instead the legs take the brunt of the force.

Anyway, Where does the vigilante nonsense end?

Even the Sheldon Souray incident, where he took on Armstrong who rammed full speed into Koivu, was just another act in a cycle of violence that night. If you will recall, Armstrong very clearly said he rammed Koivu in retaliation for Lapierre's butt-end of Crosby on the opening faceoff!

What did all of this get us other than a bad rep for Lapierre and a game misconduct for Souray, and a risk of concussion for Koivu (thankfully didn't happen)?

You want toughness? Take Crosby's body cleanly during the play, no butt-ending crap!
You probably don't remember this but Koivu hammered Armstrong later in that same game and put Armstrong out for a few games.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

Lapierre didn't mean to butt-end him....he was bearing down for the faceoff. Pierre Maguire, in his typical drama queen fashion, blew it out of proportion. Even Cherry mentioned on Coach's Corner that same week that Lappy didn't mean to get him with the butt-end. Crosby likes to embellish things.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 09:29 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Anyone think that Conboy might play out the rest of the season in junior? Can a junior team even take him on at this point?

01-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Having watched Andrew Conboy numerous times during his days in the USHL, I'm not sure you folks really understand how mentally unstable this guy is. It's scary. I just hope he doesn't seriously hurt someone. He can go from nasty to criminally insane in a matter of seconds.

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 09:42 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Having watched Andrew Conboy numerous times during his days in the USHL, I'm not sure you folks really understand how mentally unstable this guy is. It's scary. I just hope he doesn't seriously hurt someone. He can go from nasty to criminally insane in a matter of seconds.
So he's a cross between Nilan and Kordic

Old
01-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

I also don't think he has the core hockey skills needed to compete at the NHL level, but that's just my opinion. He played on some very good Omaha teams which padded his offensive stats. Even in the USHL he had a reputation of a cheap shot artist who often went after players smaller than himself. He's your basic cementhead, but I suppose if that's what you are looking for....you found a good one.

Old
01-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Any record as far as his suspensions in the USHL? I mean a guy with that kind of behavior had to be suspended numerous times no?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Any record as far as his suspensions in the USHL? I mean a guy with that kind of behavior had to be suspended numerous times no?
I'm not sure where to look for something like that, but I do recall him serving a few suspensions over the years. I've seen enough of him in person to have the opinion that he's a waste of skin, but again...just my opinion.

Old
01-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I'm not sure where to look for something like that, but I do recall him serving a few suspensions over the years. I've seen enough of him in person to have the opinion that he's a waste of skin, but again...just my opinion.
Which you are entirely entitle to especially if you have already met him, something everybody on this board cannot say they did. Let's hope he'll mature big time 'cause we do need an enforcer that can play hockey but a total nutcase....maybe not. But then, I'll put that on maturity. The fact that he already decided to leave the team and the University makes me think that he either chose a direction or he has something else in mind. I guess we'll see soon.

Thanks.

P.S I did try to look on the USHL site and I didn't see anything as well.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Conboy v Lucic Sunday January 21

Actually Conboy would get destroyed he needs to get heavier and stronger and probably will be better in the ECHL than NCAA.
Lucic is far from an NHL Heavy...Conboy is what, 6'4" 200lbs vs 6'2" 205lbs.

That being said, he is probably nowhere close to being NHL ready, he probably needs to go play junior somewhere.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:17 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

That being said, he is probably nowhere close to being NHL ready, he probably needs to go play junior somewhere.
Lucic is 6'4" 220 he has 25 pounds on Conboy

Old
01-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

Wrong... and then wrong... and then right... and then wrong! thank you though!

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Duff88

The Conboy brothers' history of on-ice insanity and foolishness is incredible. I hope Andrew never steps on ice again; both for his sake and his opponents'. It's alright to have the aggressiveness to be an enforcer, but you have to be able to control yourself and both brothers have shown that they are nutcases on the ice.

That's not saying much, but I'm going to leave it at that.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:31 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Once again, you only think good can come out of gang behaviour. It's simply not true.

Take the Tropp incident. Two Michigan State players erroneously thought that Tropp had been cheapshotted. They raced to avenge the hit! Only they were wrong.

Now the Michigan U guys might have escalated things further, to take out the stick-swinger, and so forth.

You assume that the best fighter is always playing on the side of the angels, but what if he isn't? Does that mean that whichever team has the best fighter in the league can cheapshot anyone they want?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:34 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Lapierre didn't mean to butt-end him....he was bearing down for the faceoff. Pierre Maguire, in his typical drama queen fashion, blew it out of proportion. Even Cherry mentioned on Coach's Corner that same week that Lappy didn't mean to get him with the butt-end. Crosby likes to embellish things.
See what I mean? If we get rid of the instigator penalty and any goon can jump anyone anytime he feels justified or just feels like it, then lots of incidents might be "avenged" when they were never cheap shots in the first place.

Combattants in the heat of their battle are not likely to be the most objective observers, you know.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:48 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
You can read about HERE.
This is a little misleading.

No where in the article does it say he left MSU, it just says he was removed from the hockey program.

However, you are right that he left the school as this article states.
http://www.statenews.com/index.php/a...g_suspensions;

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote