HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Perimeter, the right way to go!

Old
01-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Chomsky

vCash: 500
Perimeter, the right way to go!

As I'm going throughout Arnott's 2008-9 season goals (15), I'm seeing some Nashville players doing something completely illogical and absolutely against what seems to be the Montreal Canadiens core values. 'Oh my god' I said to myself, are they actually... driving to the net? Then I remembered D'agostini who briefly did so and scored 5 goals in 6 games, but later on stopped repeating the said action.

So I'm asking you... is it some sort of taboo move in Montreal or are the players actually allowed to drive to the net from the corner or center ice?

Or did I miss something and the new Nhl is all about skating around the net and trying to pass it in front of the net where none of your teammates are and will likely never be?

Perimeter players, hmmm seems like a familiar term around this team.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 01:02 AM
couz

Pleks is the master perimeter player, followed by Kovy, the **** bros.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 01:05 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Perimeter = south/west players in other words ?
North/ south players = not perimeter players ?

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 07:12 AM
evilstanley

noone wants to get their nose dirty.

maybe they still have the Zednick/McClaren incident in mind...still...

*facepalm*

evilstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
Who are the **** bros? Andreď might be the less perimeter player on the team.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 07:46 AM
Roulin

This season:

Montreal - 148 goals scored
Nashville - 111 goals scored

I'll take Montreal, personally. I guess if you like players driving the net with no results, you can watch some more Preds losses.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 07:50 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
But it hurts.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

You best guys have to be character guys. Let's address this in the upcoming drafts as well. Skilled and fast are fine, character and grit needs to be taken into consideration. We need to draft more MaxPac and Subban type of players....WE NEED EMOTION!!!!!

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:22 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
he used to drive the net ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
This season:

I'll take Montreal, personally. I guess if you like players driving the net with no results, you can watch some more Preds losses.
ZINGGGG!

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
This season:

He's actually talking about one character trait of these guys....not the overall greatness of the team. Put the talent that we have with a little more grit and desire to get your nose dirty and it's not 148 goals that you have....Nashville understand that they have not a lot of talent, so they have no choice to work hard.....still the talent leve is not there. But the great teams are able to bring their work ethic to the level of their talent. They score as many ugly goals as they score highlight reel goals...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:05 AM
smon

Top-six forwards are talented, but not willing to get their noses dirty...for the most part.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:43 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
agree

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Perimeter = south/west players in other words ?
North/ south players = not perimeter players ?

Not really. Although North/south players tend to crash to the net way more than south/west.

Perimeter=All around the net except for the crease and the low slot. Even the high slot is taboo to perimeter players. A perimeter player will never go into traffic or stick in front of the net to screen/bury rebounds and so on.

In sum, shot from bad angles, try to pass it in front of the net, etc.

Kosto is probably the least perimeter player we have, and Plekanec the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
When he actually gives a **** he's one of the least, but last night.. wow.

Quote:
This season:

Still not bad for a team with no offensive talent except for 3 guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He's actually talking about one character trait of these guys....not the overall greatness of the team. Put the talent that we have with a little more grit and desire to get your nose dirty and it's not 148 goals that you have....Nashville understand that they have not a lot of talent, so they have no choice to work hard.....still the talent leve is not there. But the great teams are able to bring their work ethic to the level of their talent. They score as many ugly goals as they score highlight reel goals...
This.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:14 AM
MTL-rules

Perimeter players got us the best offensive team last year, so it's not all that bad...

I love perimeter players, it's entertaining and the results beautifull...

The problem with this team is that all the offensive lines are perimeter players, so when the other team adapts well, no one can score... that's why we get like 4 games in a row with 5 goal or more and 4 other in a row with 2 or less...

I DON'T want a team of all crashers and no passers... it's not better, it's the same problem...

What we need is a better balance from the offensive lines...

We need a line of skilled players who crashes the net, guys that will shoot from every angle and get the rebounds, those famous "garbage" goals that we don't know about...

If somehow TB trades Vinny, I'd offer Pleks and the Kost brothers for him, because he's exactly what we need...

As for Arnott, alone, he won't change much to this team...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:17 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
In sum, shot from bad angles, try to pass it in front of the net, etc.
I disagree, perimeter players don't shoot from bad angles at all, they don't shoot unless they got a clear view of the net, which creates a lot less goal opportunities... except of course if they're on fire or the other team defence sucks...

Old
01-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Good point, but I'm still put off by the knee jerk reaction posters are having to last night's loss.

The Habs are, for the most part, a team that relies on skill to win. Personally, I don't care whether we score more pretty goals or garbage goals, as long as we score more goals than the opposition. There's no one formula for winning - posters who think every team has to emulate the 90's Devils to win the Cup are listening to too much sports talk radio, IMO. There are as many different kinds of winners as there are different kinds of teams.

I understand that after a bad loss, or during a losing streak, fans will want a team to play a different style. Completely understandable, but short sighted. The worst thing Gainey could do, is decide to pull a 180 right at the end of the rebuild. That's what the Senators did after the Cup final against the Ducks, and look at them now. That's what the Wings could have done after playoff losses to grittier Oilers and Ducks teams in consecutive years, but they stayed the course, and look at them now.

IMHO, the problems that keep this from being a dominant team are all solveable without changing style:

- lack of depth on D

Gainey will surely address this (short term at least) at the deadline. Long term, we have talented defencemen on the way up.

- too much youth on the big team

Partly the result of injuries to veterans, partly because of a wave of talent all drafted at the same time (2005). SKost, Lats, D'Ago and Price should continue to mature and gain consistency.

- lack of a top end forward

The trickiest problem. Luckily, the Habs are in a good position to make a quantity for quality trade. This years UFA market is also looking decent for forwards.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Boulette Cannon

Lapierre, Pacioretty, Stewart, Latendresse, Koivu, Higgins, D'agostini, Kostopoulos, Begin, Laraque...

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
When he actually gives a **** he's one of the least, but last night.. wow.
I thought Andreď gave a ****, he was alone on the ice, Lang and Sergueď were nowhere to be found.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dfk711*
The real #11

Montreal was getting in Smith's face early in the game

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Perimeter players got us the best offensive team last year, so it's not all that bad...

I love perimeter players, it's entertaining and the results beautifull...

The problem with this team is that all the offensive lines are perimeter players, so when the other team adapts well, no one can score... that's why we get like 4 games in a row with 5 goal or more and 4 other in a row with 2 or less...

I DON'T want a team of all crashers and no passers... it's not better, it's the same problem...

What we need is a better balance from the offensive lines...

We need a line of skilled players who crashes the net, guys that will shoot from every angle and get the rebounds, those famous "garbage" goals that we don't know about...

If somehow TB trades Vinny, I'd offer Pleks and the Kost brothers for him, because he's exactly what we need...

As for Arnott, alone, he won't change much to this team...
No. We had the best offense last year thanks to our PP, not our perimeter players.
How many times did we say, without our PP and phenomenal play by our Goalies, we'd lose and it was true.

I don't care what my team consists of. I want a team that is scary, not a push over one.
It's seems we're in the middle of that, some of our players are easily push overs like Plek, and others aren't like Koivu.

I'm just really fed up to see Plek skate away when pushed around, he needs to put on some muscles because even I could kick his ass.

Need more players to do what MaxPac did when Kovalev got pushed..need some players other than on our 4th line that will rush the opposition's goalie, that will push the D back all the way in their goalie crease..etc..

You can have one perimeter player on each line..we don't need 2-3 per line.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:58 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No. We had the best offense last year thanks to our PP, not our perimeter players.
How many times did we say, without our PP and phenomenal play by our Goalies, we'd lose and it was true.

I don't care what my team consists of. I want a team that is scary, not a push over one.
It's seems we're in the middle of that, some of our players are easily push overs like Plek, and others aren't like Koivu.

I'm just really fed up to see Plek skate away when pushed around, he needs to put on some muscles because even I could kick his ass.

Need more players to do what MaxPac did when Kovalev got pushed..need some players other than on our 4th line that will rush the opposition's goalie, that will push the D back all the way in their goalie crease..etc..

You can have one perimeter player on each line..we don't need 2-3 per line.
And don't you think that the perimeter players were the principal reason why our PP was so good?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-28-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Play nice.
Old
01-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
And don't you think that the perimeter players were the principal reason why our PP was so good?
Not at all.
The PP is a system, you have 5 players control the puck on the outside and move well. Then we'd see that cross ice pass from Markov to Kovy on almost every PP. We had the shot from the point with Streit there as well.

PHI last year was 2nd on the PP and likewise this season. I think it's fair to say they're not quite the perimeter player.
Two years ago, we had the 1st PP too and it was mainly because of that shot from Souray with Markov as QB.

On the PP, the main assets are a QB and a point shot. You need one guy in front and two others around the boards. The guys on the boards don't have to be flashy or magical, they need to skate well and have good puck control.

But mainly, it's the system used.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Pr3Va1L

And they have actually forgotten the freaking magical cross-ice Kovy-Markov passes... Most of our goals came from either Markov to Kovy or from Kovy to Markov who would skate to the left crease...

How can you actually forget what made you win 1st place in the conference?

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 12:41 PM
kalessin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
And they have actually forgotten the freaking magical cross-ice Kovy-Markov passes... Most of our goals came from either Markov to Kovy or from Kovy to Markov who would skate to the left crease...

How can you actually forget what made you win 1st place in the conference?
Teams aren't stupid. They saw our PP at work last year, and aren't going to let us do the same thing. They're adapting. Kovalev doesn't have the same amount of space and time as he did last year, and the lack of Streit on the point means the penalty killing teams aren't punished for leaving the point man open. As much as I like Gorges, he's not going to make any forward think twice about dropping down to cover Kovy a little tighter.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote