HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Henry

Old
01-26-2009, 10:00 AM
habs24

vCash: 500
Henry won the first fight, not by much, but still won it. He should get the call from Hamilton instead of that stiff O'Byrne

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Pax Macioretty

sucks that O'Burne was recalled before Henry whom he atleast accepts that his size and strengh comes with a territory, if only O'Byrne would find a mean streak to his game...

Last edited by Pax Macioretty: 01-26-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:09 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
sucks that O'Burne was recalled beofe Henry whom he atleast accepts that his size and strengh comes with a territory, if only O'Byrne would find a mean streak to his game...
? Another classic.

Henry is a 30 year old vet, O'Byrne is a rookie. Who, by the way has demonstrated lots of 'mean streak' in the AHL.

Hurry up and wait.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
? Another classic.

Henry is a 30 year old vet, O'Byrne is a rookie. Who, by the way has demonstrated lots of 'mean streak' in the AHL.

Hurry up and wait.
I've never been the kind of poster that flips out because of slow devolopment, so you can take that one back. BTW normally positioning is what takes a longer time for defensmens to adjust because of the speed of the players, but for having a mean streak, it's either you have it or you don't, nobody learns how to grow balls as they get older, you just have to learn that to be good you have to pay a certain price and that your opponents have to pay the price too, that's all there is to it....

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Mad Habber

The present NHL rules regarding recalls is not AHL vet friendly. Henry would need to go through re-entry waiver. And if he gets picked up by another team, then Montreal is on the hook for half the salary which would further diminish their cap space.

I'm amazed that the AHLPA hasn't complained about this re-entry waiver rule as being unfair to the AHL vets. The NHL collective bargaining agreement is interfering with the chances of some of their players to play in the NHL. Instead some other less experienced player, and sometimes clearly not ready, gets the call.

Last year Montreal couldn't recall JFCote, Milroy and Ferland for fear they might be pick-up by a bottom dweller. Not that they needed it last year.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
Last year Montreal couldn't recall JFCote, Milroy and Ferland for fear they might be pick-up by a bottom dweller.
Good thing. We wouldnt want to lose those guys.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Strong and Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
The talk is about what the league didn't do not about a guy with no talent!
I hear ya. Although I blame the team just as much for employing him to begin with. I imagine that this is not the first time he's been a donkey and not been suspended. The problem is the fans enjoy it so much. Also, when else does the AHL get this much attention on HF Boards?

I was at the game against the Wolves on Friday night and there was a great fight where Belle dropped the gloves after a player ran over Weber. It was a long one and Belle threw a bunch of hay makers. It bought him the last 3 minutes or so of the 2nd and almost the entire 3rd in penalties. Yet at the end of the game, after the 3 stars, they brought him out for the Hardest Working Player of the Game. LOL

Strong and Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:05 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong and Free View Post
I hear ya. Although I blame the team just as much for employing him to begin with. I imagine that this is not the first time he's been a donkey and not been suspended. The problem is the fans enjoy it so much. Also, when else does the AHL get this much attention on HF Boards?

I was at the game against the Wolves on Friday night and there was a great fight where Belle dropped the gloves after a player ran over Weber. It was a long one and Belle threw a bunch of hay makers. It bought him the last 3 minutes or so of the 2nd and almost the entire 3rd in penalties. Yet at the end of the game, after the 3 stars, they brought him out for the Hardest Working Player of the Game. LOL
Yea it was a nice move by Belle, I've seen him do that a couple times, jumping right in to stick up for his players.

Quote:
sucks that O'Burne was recalled before Henry whom he atleast accepts that his size and strengh comes with a territory, if only O'Byrne would find a mean streak to his game...
Yea it really sucks that we called up a better defensemen with much more upside. Don't know what Gainey is thinking.

Quote:
I've never been the kind of poster that flips out because of slow devolopment, so you can take that one back. BTW normally positioning is what takes a longer time for defensmens to adjust because of the speed of the players, but for having a mean streak, it's either you have it or you don't, nobody learns how to grow balls as they get older, you just have to learn that to be good you have to pay a certain price and that your opponents have to pay the price too, that's all there is to it....
Ever think that confidence is a huge part for a rookie defensemen. O'Byrne was said to be very physical at the draft in the BCHL. He was very physical in the NCAA getting north of 90 pims a season in 30 some games a year. He was also physical in the AHL. In the NHL he has had his moments throwing the body but it's not been there consistently.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:36 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Henry is not in the future plans of the Habs. If you look at the ice time allotted in the past few games, Weber, Carle, Belle and Kemp are getting most of it even though Henry's +/- and even strength scoring is as good or better than those four. I'm sure he would love to be sent up and down a few times to see if someone would claim him.
Unless Weber is awful in camp next year I think he'll get a shot to stick if only for the PP. Carle will not make it on offense alone, he will have to get much more physical defensively if he is to stick. Belle has the tools but for some reason doesn't seem to impress consistently. Kemp, still trying to figure that deal out, I don't see him up there, maybe a lifetime AHL'er.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 01:41 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:

I saw that also. It was nice to see Belle step up. Question, is it better in that situation, no penalty on the hit, to get the guy's number, let him know he will be paying sometime during the game? It may have saved him from all the penalty time.

Old
01-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Strong and Free

Quote:
I saw that also. It was nice to see Belle step up. Question, is it better in that situation, no penalty on the hit, to get the guy's number, let him know he will be paying sometime during the game? It may have saved him from all the penalty time.
No, I think he had to take care of the situation when he did. You can't really sit back in that situation and say "I'll get you later". There is no guarantee that Belle would have been on the ice later. It was a great energy lift for the team and certainly got the fans into the game. The 10 minute misconduct sucks to me since he already had 2 mins extra for instigating which should have covered it for me. Kudos to him for sticking up for the Dogs' lone all star for the AHL.

Old
01-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Strong and Free

Quote:
Henry is not in the future plans of the Habs. If you look at the ice time allotted in the past few games, Weber, Carle, Belle and Kemp are getting most of it even though Henry's +/- and even strength scoring is as good or better than those four. I'm sure he would love to be sent up and down a few times to see if someone would claim him.
Unless Weber is awful in camp next year I think he'll get a shot to stick if only for the PP. Carle will not make it on offense alone, he will have to get much more physical defensively if he is to stick. Belle has the tools but for some reason doesn't seem to impress consistently. Kemp, still trying to figure that deal out, I don't see him up there, maybe a lifetime AHL'er.
I see Henry as one of those career AHL'ers that puts up solid enough numbers and earns a modest career but get to do it playing hockey.

Based on the other night, Weber has a cannon on the point and was decent defensively. Carle was very unimpressive at both ends of the ice for the short of a shift or two. Belle is pretty slick on his skates and decent with the puck, but as has been posted before really doesn't seem to understand the sport so well. He certainly has the size but that's just not enough. I really liked Belle's fight though.

Old
01-26-2009, 02:54 PM
21gionta21

henry didn't lose that fight lol who is saying this....Mirasty had a hard time reaching him but I hate these guys like Mirasty cheap shot guys we don't need them in the NHL but I do like the henry type guys that will stick up for the team not sure if he is nhl caliber tho.....maybe we should bring up henry for a boston game.........

21gionta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 03:28 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
No, I think he had to take care of the situation when he did. You can't really sit back in that situation and say "I'll get you later". There is no guarantee that Belle would have been on the ice later. It was a great energy lift for the team and certainly got the fans into the game. The 10 minute misconduct sucks to me since he already had 2 mins extra for instigating which should have covered it for me. Kudos to him for sticking up for the Dogs' lone all star for the AHL.
I can't really disagree, I'm just thinking if that was a playoff game it could have been a problem losing that much time in the box. It certainly is better than skating away. I wonder if Belle offered some verbal thoughts to the ref and that got him his misconduct?

Old
01-26-2009, 03:36 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Agreed, it had to be done, glad to see him do it again.

Quote:
I can't really disagree, I'm just thinking if that was a playoff game it could have been a problem losing that much time in the box. It certainly is better than skating away. I wonder if Belle offered some verbal thoughts to the ref and that got him his misconduct?
Well if it was the playoffs, things could have been a lot different, hard to compare to what might have happened.

Got to say, although a minor move, love the Locke for Belle trade. While Locke was highly skilled, he was at times lazy, soft and poor in his own end. Belle is clearly not the most skilled guy but he works hard and has decent physical tools.

Old
01-26-2009, 07:18 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Agreed, it had to be done, glad to see him do it again.

Well if it was the playoffs, things could have been a lot different, hard to compare to what might have happened.

Got to say, although a minor move, love the Locke for Belle trade. While Locke was highly skilled, he was at times lazy, soft and poor in his own end. Belle is clearly not the most skilled guy but he works hard and has decent physical tools.
I think Belle has allot of skill, he is just inconsistent in using it. I say that with him at +18. He is big, can be physical and has speed just not every shift.

Old
01-26-2009, 07:24 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
I think Belle has allot of skill, he is just inconsistent in using it. I say that with him at +18. He is big, can be physical and has speed just not every shift.
The theory on Belle is he has all it takes to be a good D man except he has the brains and thinking process of Malakhov.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 08:48 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I don't see him as very skilled, he has impressive physical abilities, like skating, speed, strength, but he doesn't have much of any offensive skills, lacks hockey sense and needs to use his size better imo. Don't get me wrong I like him, and think he could be a nice depth guy to have around as he gets more experience. Love how he sticks up for his teammates, I've seen him do that a couple times now, and he works hard which I like to see.

Old
01-26-2009, 09:09 PM
JrHockeyFan

I saw Henry in a pre-season game a few years back. Philly vs Washington I think. Henry "fought" Brashear. It wasn't pretty. Brashear hit him quite a few times. Henry went down. Brashear pulled him back up with one arm and continued the whaling. Henry never struck me as a good fighter at all after that. This "Nasty" guy must be a real loser.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 10:16 PM
thedoor81

The same guy (Mirasty) fought Ryan Flinn to a draw a couple of weeks ago, I don't think he's a looser...

thedoor81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 08:24 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I saw Henry in a pre-season game a few years back. Philly vs Washington I think. Henry "fought" Brashear. It wasn't pretty. Brashear hit him quite a few times. Henry went down. Brashear pulled him back up with one arm and continued the whaling. Henry never struck me as a good fighter at all after that. This "Nasty" guy must be a real loser.
I don't think anyone looks at Henry as a heavy weight in the Brashear, BGL, etc. class, although I'm not aware that he has ever shied away from anyone. He's a tough player that isn't afraid to stick up for himself or his team mates if the situation calls for it. He brings allot of grit and will keep opponents honest. By the way how many times have you seen Brashear outright lose a fight?

Old
01-27-2009, 09:54 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
The theory on Belle is he has all it takes to be a good D man except he has the brains and thinking process of Malakhov.
So he's been around now for 4 years with three different organizations, when does this change?

Old
01-27-2009, 11:04 AM
cashman rules*

Don't want to pipe in here but henry sticks up for his teamates day in and day out and he beat nasty in the first fight.Great guy from my hometown as well and i was hoping he would play a few games for montreal this year.Not to disscredit mirasty but he is one tough sob for his size and he will fight anyone anywhere.I'm sure a few of you know he played for sorel in the lnah and battled steve (the boss) bosse many times and go ko'ed 4 times by bosse (youtube the fights).I wish henry the best in his career.

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 11:18 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoor81 View Post
The same guy (Mirasty) fought Ryan Flinn to a draw a couple of weeks ago, I don't think he's a looser...
Mirasty had a free hand with Flinn not dressed. Can't hardly wait for next Wednesday when Syracuse brings that clown to the dog house.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 06:42 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs24 View Post
Henry won the first fight, not by much, but still won it. He should get the call from Hamilton instead of that stiff O'Byrne
Damn I lost my teeth again.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote