HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-purpose Plekanec thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2009, 08:09 AM
  #26
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
I think what's truly killing him is the fact that not only is he playing in Montreal, but that the expectations are very high this season.He knows he's doing terrible and the pressure has took over his play.

No we shouldn't give up on him, I still believe in what I saw in his first three seasons.

IMO a couple of games in the AHL could help him get his confidence back.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:11 AM
  #27
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
I think what's truly killing him is the fact that not only is he playing in Montreal, but that the expectations are very high this season.He knows he's doing terrible and the pressure has took over his play.

No we shouldn't give up on him, I still believe in what I saw in his first three seasons.

IMO a couple of games in the AHL could help him get his confidence back.
He can't go in the minors, he would get claimed by another team.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:13 AM
  #28
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
He can't go in the minors, he would get claimed by another team.
hmm true, forgot about it.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:14 AM
  #29
nilan30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guriken View Post
Slumps happen to every single player, come on.. You can see he is trying but the puck isn't rolling for him.
Yeah like Ryder last year. Only he got put in the press box sometimes. I wonder why Plecaneks gets the free-ride, likely cause of injuries, or is he Carbonneau's niece?

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:18 AM
  #30
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
I think what's truly killing him is the fact that not only is he playing in Montreal, but that the expectations are very high this season.He knows he's doing terrible and the pressure has took over his play.

No we shouldn't give up on him, I still believe in what I saw in his first three seasons.

IMO a couple of games in the AHL could help him get his confidence back.
i dont think we can give up on him, but we saw last year in the playoffs that he couldnt cut it when the game got physical and we are counting on him to pivot one of our top 2 lines.
If he would have bounced back this year, been a force, been the player we needed him to be, we wouldnt have this convo.
Sending him to the AHL would kill him. Bench him, sit him if they must, except our depth at center is horrid.
If someone has to center our top line, we have to reach outside of the system. Lehoux will not do anything to pressure plekanec.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:19 AM
  #31
juin
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
If he got into arbitary decision the NHL will award him a 2M+ contract as its take the last 2 year stats into decision also making him a UFA into 2010.My point is that Mtl is weak in center Ben maxwell or Kyle Chipura are nowhere near ready if ever for 15 min+ TOI so not offering a 2 year+ contract is taking a lots of risk.A 65+ point in 2010 will cost more that 4M to resign and a others bad season less that 50 point will still fetch 2M+ on the market not to mention the risk of him going play in KHL.

So 2 year at 4.4M and a team option for a extra year at 4M.

juin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:25 AM
  #32
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
no one is saying to give up on him, but how much more patient can we be with him? we are almost 50 games in and he is single handedly killing any line he centers.
Well that's what i'm talking about, bring Lehoux to push and make him less comfortable. That means that we are no patient anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
I dont know whats getting to him, if its pressure of his role and contract or maybe he is trying to hard to get going, but their is no luxury of waiting on him to find his game.
I just dont think adding another rookie will do anything for kovy and whoever the other winger will be.
Rookies have been good to us till now, and Lehoux is not much of a rookie, he was signed as a free agent. I think that bringing up Lehoux is actualy punishing him and pushing him (I'm not realy sure if we understand each others). Bringing up Lehoux doesn't mean that he'll center Kovy, and right now anybody else centering Kovy would be better than Plex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Lehoux may be 6 feet, but he is a playmaker and isnt physical. We need someone to create lanes, go to the net, crash and be a big body presence.
It is true that we need that, but right now we dont have it, Lehoux can't be as soft as Plex, it's impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
If we are going into the playoffs with koivu, lang and pleks as our go 2 guys, its not gonna be pretty.
Agreed on Plex, Koivu is a clutch though.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:26 AM
  #33
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
i dont think we can give up on him, but we saw last year in the playoffs that he couldnt cut it when the game got physical and we are counting on him to pivot one of our top 2 lines.
If he would have bounced back this year, been a force, been the player we needed him to be, we wouldnt have this convo.
Sending him to the AHL would kill him. Bench him, sit him if they must, except our depth at center is horrid.
If someone has to center our top line, we have to reach outside of the system. Lehoux will not do anything to pressure plekanec.
Exactly my point, he is a small soft perimeter player. We need to get bigger.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:27 AM
  #34
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,221
vCash: 500
I'd give plek a bag of peanuts , a bucket of creatine and a slap in the face.



I can't tell what's wrong with him ....everything? I don't know anymore. This line holds beacuse of Kovy. Plek plays like a girl , and maxpac has become reative to what kovy's doing instead of being proactive . (when the line has the puck )

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:30 AM
  #35
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
I'd give plek a bag of peanuts , a bucket of creatine and a slap in the face.



I can't tell what's wrong with him ....everything? I don't know anymore. This line holds beacuse of Kovy. Plek plays like a girl , and maxpac has become reative to what kovy's doing instead of being proactive . (when the line has the puck )
could you imagine switching Pleks for Arnott on that line, Max-Arnott-Kovy

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:32 AM
  #36
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,024
vCash: 256
Plekanec has allot of work to do right now and this summer he won't be looking at too much of a great deal for him,better for us

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:59 AM
  #37
albertabound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Does anyone else feel that some of guys maybe don't want to be here? It just seems that way that they are not interested in playing, they keep going like this the 100 year is going to be disappointing or maybe its Carbo that they don't want to play for.
The only one into it is the callups and the lappy line, Koivu always give it 100 and Price better pull up his socks 9 goals in 2 games not good.

albertabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:05 AM
  #38
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi View Post
Does anyone else feel that some of guys maybe don't want to be here? It just seems that way that they are not interested in playing, they keep going like this the 100 year is going to be disappointing or maybe its Carbo that they don't want to play for.
The only one into it is the callups and the lappy line, Koivu always give it 100 and Price better pull up his socks 9 goals in 2 games not good.
no, but i do feel that we have too many players that resemble each others character, not to say we are soft but not far from being soft..

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:09 AM
  #39
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
no, but i do feel that we have too many players that resemble each others character, not to say we are soft but not far from being soft..
Haha, so we have a team of little girls? Man, Plekanec will never live that down.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:14 AM
  #40
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,089
vCash: 500
This thread seems logical.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:28 AM
  #41
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
I'd give plek a bag of peanuts , a bucket of creatine and a slap in the face.



I can't tell what's wrong with him ....everything? I don't know anymore. This line holds beacuse of Kovy. Plek plays like a girl , and maxpac has become reative to what kovy's doing instead of being proactive . (when the line has the puck )
Max Pac is just a kid..he's not supposed to be driving that line, especially with Kovalev on it. You can tell he's got some great hands though and will be a great player. Asking him to dominate right now with a centre that is invisible is asking a little too much. You can tell that he's trying to be proactive, but is kinda confused on how to play on that line sometimes...should he dump it in and chase it, should he try to enter the zone with some dipsy doodle moves...should he just pass it to Kovy and go to the net..??

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:29 AM
  #42
Talent Analyst
Registered User
 
Talent Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 100th years
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Plekanec has allot of work to do right now and this summer he won't be looking at too much of a great deal for him,better for us
2-3 millions/ 3-4 years would be perfect, since his value is low right now and will be way better next year.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:03 AM
  #43
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Max Pac is just a kid..he's not supposed to be driving that line, especially with Kovalev on it. You can tell he's got some great hands though and will be a great player. Asking him to dominate right now with a centre that is invisible is asking a little too much. You can tell that he's trying to be proactive, but is kinda confused on how to play on that line sometimes...should he dump it in and chase it, should he try to enter the zone with some dipsy doodle moves...should he just pass it to Kovy and go to the net..??
I think we just don't have the same definition of being proactive/reactive. I agree with almost everything in your post.

What I meant is that because their zone entries are bad , they end up with kovy having to deke a player before getting in the offensive third. As a result , instead of being proactive and creating a clear, simple option , maxpac has to figure out what is going to be kovy's next move. You put a decent hardworking center between kovy and maxpac, and they will connect on different ''sets'' of plays , familiarize themselves with one another and develop patterns that are going to be the base of the co called ''chemistry'' between them. Its not maxpac's fault, I never said that. But the fact remains that 85% of his game his focussed on reacting to what kovy does.... and its unfortunate, cuz I think they should be 2 very good complementary players on a more stable and organized line.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:13 AM
  #44
kovaless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,195
vCash: 500
My take on Plekanec.

The reason why he had a career year is he was playing with Kovy and AK46. Both had pretty good years as well. Basically, that line came out of no where, no one expected things from them, thus were not prepared for that line. At the same time, AK46 didn't have the same confidence level that I think he has this year. That's why it meshed. They depended on Kovalev.

In the playoffs teams figured out how to shut that line down. AK46 grew from that, no longer feels he needs to depend on kovy for points. Pleks on the other hand, has lost confidence. You could see it in the playoffs last year. When he tries to enter the offensive, he does a little spin move instead of charging. He's gonna get leveled with a concussion soon. He's not getting his good quality chances like last year. I mean, last night...he was horrible. Kovalev on the other had a good game. MaxPAc had a good game.

I knew there was going to be a problem with him earlier this year when he had 1 game with 14 shots...no goal.

The only area where plekanec is REALLY solid is on the PK. Ever wonder why pleks is never in the shootout ?? Carbs and company must know something about him, IE, horrible shot, easy to read, something.

I just think that pleks has stopped grown as a player. I think that whole line last year got a free pass. No one knew who pleks and ak46 were. Now they do. The thing is players like Kovalev and AK46 can adapt to change. While they are having OK seasons, pleks I don't think can adapt, and it REALLY SHOWS.

Anyhow, my 2c

kovaless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:39 AM
  #45
AlexMeth
Registered User
 
AlexMeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
2-3 millions/ 3-4 years would be perfect, since his value is low right now and will be way better next year.
EDIT: I wouldn't want to commit to more than one year of softitude.

AlexMeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:49 AM
  #46
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
In last game when Plex scored in his own net, made two circles around the opponet zone and finish it with his stupid holding penality i didn't know what to think. Usualy i have an opinion on everything regarding hockey but right now i just dont know what to think of this guy.

That why i came up with the Lehoux idea, he needs a big shocker, he needs to feel it's not only about getting his game back but also that he can loose his spot on the team. Seriously Lehoux couldn't do wrost.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:51 AM
  #47
fgators
 
fgators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Max Pac is just a kid..he's not supposed to be driving that line, especially with Kovalev on it. You can tell he's got some great hands though and will be a great player. Asking him to dominate right now with a centre that is invisible is asking a little too much. You can tell that he's trying to be proactive, but is kinda confused on how to play on that line sometimes...should he dump it in and chase it, should he try to enter the zone with some dipsy doodle moves...should he just pass it to Kovy and go to the net..??

i think max pac is just as confused as you are on this topic ! he's not confused it's you that confused, accualy your comment is confusing me !

fgators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:01 AM
  #48
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,362
vCash: 500
I just check Lehoux stats, and it's not bad at all:
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisp...id%5B%5D=43828

Notice that he performed quite well in Junior, with a season of 135 pts (70 games) and 125 pts (66 games).
In AHL, he once got 54pts in 38 games, and 73 pts in 72 games. When compared his AHL stats to Plek, Higgins, D'Ago, he may be slightly better.

Being said all of this, I tend to be more patient with Plekanec. Perhaps, I'll try to swap the line a bit.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:04 AM
  #49
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgators View Post
i think max pac is just as confused as you are on this topic ! he's not confused it's you that confused, accualy your comment is confusing me !
Good, thats the way I like it.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:07 AM
  #50
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,811
vCash: 500
It's really too bad how badly Plekanec has slipped this year. He was counted on to be a a top forward this year but has become a liability. Solution : ?????? He has little trade value now but he can't get worse. I think he's an emotional and proud guy who is pissed by the way he's playing and is dismayed that he's no longer on the PP and that his career has taken a few steps back. The big pay day he expected at the end of the year won't be there. He has not lost his skills - he needs to get his head screwed on right and stop feeling sorry for himself and only then will he break out. Would a few games in the pressbox help? I'm not sure.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.