HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting tidbit about Gomez

Old
01-28-2009, 08:41 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Interesting tidbit about Gomez

Per Sam's blog: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2009/0...all-after-all/
Quote:
Because while a bunch of Rangers dispersed for points south—some to Florida, some to Cancun, others to Jamaica—Gomez opted for the lovely confines of the Rangers practice facility in Greenburgh. I hear it’s beautiful this time of year.

“He stayed back in New York and trained really hard. I know he came to the rink every day and lifted weights and got on the ice,” said goaltender Stephen Valiquette. “He was the one guy who used our break to focus on getting stronger for the second half of the year. I know he’s going to be outstanding the rest of the way.”
No doubt he's got a long way to go to justify that contract, but certainly the game he's showed in the last two contests has been much more representative of what we all (particularly those of us who were in favor of the signing two years ago) hoped to see. And news like the above indicates that he's aware of and takes seriously the fact that he's been a severe disappointment (particularly this year). Are we perhaps in for better things from Second Half Scott? Keep it up, Gomer.

(At the very least make yourself a tradeable asset.)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:47 AM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Per Sam's blog: http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2009/0...all-after-all/

No doubt he's got a long way to go to justify that contract, but certainly the game he's showed in the last two contests has been much more representative of what we all (particularly those of us who were in favor of the signing two years ago) hoped to see. And news like the above indicates that he's aware of and takes seriously the fact that he's been a severe disappointment (particularly this year). Are we perhaps in for better things from Second Half Scott? Keep it up, Gomer.

(At the very least make yourself a tradeable asset.)
not for nothing the guy was injured for the better part of the first half and now he is taking this time off to make sure he is 100% for the stretch.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:48 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Gomez certainly looked more like his old self last night. He was really moving around and seeing the ice. Let's hope it keeps up.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Gomez was downright dominating at times last night.

For some of the people that have bashed him all year (looking at you Sting), there will be crow to eat later on, I bet.

It's sad that he's knocked so hard when he's struggled with that injury almost all year.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

For some of the people that have bashed him all year (looking at you Sting), there will be crow to eat later on, I bet.

It's sad that he's knocked so hard when he's struggled with that injury almost all year.
Gomez historically has strong second halfs. Just stating, as I'm sure you're well aware, Jon.

This news report makes me think two things. One, I question how injured he was if he was working out like a beast. Granted, if he hurt his ankle he can work out his arms, back, etc. Still, that's a thought that crossed my mind.

The other thing is that it shows Gomez not being lazy. I won't dismiss that characterization of him outright, but this shows his willingness to put forth a little extra

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
This news report makes me think two things. One, I question how injured he was if he was working out like a beast. Granted, if he hurt his ankle he can work out his arms, back, etc. Still, that's a thought that crossed my mind.
Please see the bolded for the key word in your post.

If Gomez plays like he did last night game in and game out, he is worth that ridiculous, albatross of a contract. That line (Callahan-Gomez-Naslund) was flat out awesome.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Speedtrials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post

If Gomez plays like he did last night game in and game out, he is worth that ridiculous, albatross of a contract. That line (Callahan-Gomez-Naslund) was flat out awesome.

I will admit I personally couldn't stand Gomez the first half of this season. With the money he makes, I felt it was very hard watching him play so poorly, and constantly acting goofy with his silly interviews. However, I will happily eat crow, if last night was an indicator of how his game is going to be. It does sound like he was more hurt then he let on, and was playing through it.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:39 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:

I happen to agree. When I look at a center man like Gomez I think back on some of the home grown talent we've given up on and other teams are reaping the benefits. In this case, Marc Savard. Another example of one of the many talents Neil Smith gave up on. He had a great year with the Wolf Pack and plenty of great years in Juniors. But many years later, we found a player in Gomez who also can skate and pass the puck. I just hope he stays healthy.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:58 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Despite the heat he's taken, lets face it. Theres no real difference with Gomez this year. Maybe a little less productive because of some injuries, but this is what the Rangers signed - a guy who averages about 65 points per year.

He's on pace for 63 and had he not missed 5 games, it would probably be closer to 70. Right around target for him.

This is what you get from the guy, he had 70 points last year. Hes a better second half player.

Nice to see the dedication though.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post

well if you look at it as he "was" injured, then you can't use that as an excuse for his subpar play prior to the ASG break. Unless you feel that he heeled just before he started working out so much.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:09 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Message to Gomez - Show me!!!

A point a game average from here on out would show me something.

The Rangers have 33 games remaining, 33+ points from Gomez would make me a believer in the whole not taking a break during the all star break.

If lasty night was any indication to what is to come, I will be a happy camper, just not sure he has it in him to sustain this.

Hopefully I am proven wrong.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:13 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

Spot on here, Jon. I've grown tired of defending him this season, so I'm really hoping that his annual second-half awakening (as billyH2O mentioned) will silence some of the critics.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:19 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Message to Gomez - Show me!!!

A point a game average from here on out would show me something.

The Rangers have 33 games remaining, 33+ points from Gomez would make me a believer in the whole not taking a break during the all star break.

If lasty night was any indication to what is to come, I will be a happy camper, just not sure he has it in him to sustain this.

Hopefully I am proven wrong.
he's capable...last year from November-End of the season he was 14-53-67 +5 in 70 games...awful close...and this is without any real top wingers, though im hoping his chemistry with Naslund continues to grow.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Fletch

it's funny reading things like Gomez being back to his old self, etc. The fact of the matter is this guy has been wildly streaking his entire career. He'll go on a stretch for 5-7 games then he'll look like he did for much of the season for 5-7 games, then go back on a streak, and hopefully hit his stride for the playoffs. But remember, Gomez was never a true, legit #1 centerman. He never made others around him better (a true mark of a #1 centerman). He was a guy capable of playing like one at times. All this adds up to a pretty decent player who will frustrate at times and wow at other times. I wouldn't be declaring "Gomez is back" just yet - since we don't really know where he's back from.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Definitely played a hell of a game last night. I hope he can keep it up for the rest of the year.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I think a lot of Gomez's mistakes with the puck are not laziness but fatigue. He is playing more minutes now than ever in his career and maybe some of those errant passes are just mental mistakes because he is fatigued from his ice time.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Salvage21

It seems that gomez and naslund have found some chemistry together..Keeping them together through all the rough patches seems to be really paying off. As much as I think callahan has done a good enough job on RW.. I wish they would bring in a true RW with some grit like Erik Cole. But that's just a pipe dream.
Here's to the second half, scotty.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
It seems that gomez and naslund have found some chemistry together..Keeping them together through all the rough patches seems to be really paying off. As much as I think callahan has done a good enough job on RW.. I wish they would bring in a true RW with some grit like Erik Cole. But that's just a pipe dream.
Here's to the second half, scotty.
*cough* Keith Tkachuk *cough*

Old
01-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Salvage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
I think a lot of Gomez's mistakes with the puck are not laziness but fatigue. He is playing more minutes now than ever in his career and maybe some of those errant passes are just mental mistakes because he is fatigued from his ice time.

Good point. I noticed Renney didn't use him on the Penalty kill last night. Chris Drury(gomez's PK partner) was playing with Callahan. Three less minutes a game could make a BIG difference especially because he could come roaring off the bench after a good Rangers kill.

Sorry, had to edit.. Accidently said "powerplay" instead of Penalty kill

Old
01-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Salvage21

Quote:
*cough* Keith Tkachuk *cough*

haha, I thought keith was a LW wing when he wasn't playing Center?
Anyway, I'd love to see him on the team for the power plays sake. But I'd LOVE to see him on the left side of Dubinsky and Zherdev. I think both players are capable of creating space for Zherdev to dance through the slot.

Old
01-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
haha, I thought keith was a LW wing when he wasn't playing Center?
Anyway, I'd love to see him on the team for the power plays sake. But I'd LOVE to see him on the left side of Dubinsky and Zherdev. I think both players are capable of creating space for Zherdev to dance through the slot.
Hypothetically speaking if that were the case why not move Naslund to RW on a line with Gomez and Tkachuk

Old
01-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Hypothetically speaking if that were the case why not move Naslund to RW on a line with Gomez and Tkachuk
Because he's not very good on that side, unless it's on the PP. He played a string of games on the RW with the Sedin twins last season and he said he never felt comfortable there.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:05 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Despite the heat he's taken, lets face it. Theres no real difference with Gomez this year. Maybe a little less productive because of some injuries, but this is what the Rangers signed - a guy who averages about 65 points per year.

He's on pace for 63 and had he not missed 5 games, it would probably be closer to 70. Right around target for him.

This is what you get from the guy, he had 70 points last year. Hes a better second half player.

Nice to see the dedication though.
His current pace, including last nights 2 point performance has him on pace for 59 points. Not 63.

Additionally, had he not missed those 5 games, his pace would have ponted to a 63 point season.

This would represent his lowest totals in the last 5 seasons.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH

I'm not asking for Gomer to post 80+ points a year, but 70+ for him is not a total that is to much to ask for.

Based on his talent and the role he plays, those numbers should attainable.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:27 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Gomez was GREAT last night. Whatever the impetus keep it up.

01-28-2009, 11:28 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
This would represent his lowest totals in the last 5 seasons.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH
As long as he shows up with A+ game in the playoffs

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote