HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

HDTV Advice.

Old
12-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Scooter13z

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Scooter13z
Didn't want to start a new thread. I'm looking to get a 42" full HD sometime soon and I happened to stumble across this today:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...L1C-_-89101176

It's a fairly new product and I haven't been able to fins many reviews on it. Does anyone have any information about this TV? Does the price sound like a good deal? (shipping is $50 but you can get $50 cash back if you use paypal). I don't want to break the bank on a TV, but I also don't want it to die a year from now. Just looking for some opinions on this TV. Thanks!

I will be using the TV for everything. Meaning TV, games, DVD's, Blu-Ray

Scooter13z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 10:42 PM
rg_93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter13z View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread. I'm looking to get a 42" full HD sometime soon and I happened to stumble across this today:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...L1C-_-89101176

It's a fairly new product and I haven't been able to fins many reviews on it. Does anyone have any information about this TV? Does the price sound like a good deal? (shipping is $50 but you can get $50 cash back if you use paypal). I don't want to break the bank on a TV, but I also don't want it to die a year from now. Just looking for some opinions on this TV. Thanks!

I will be using the TV for everything. Meaning TV, games, DVD's, Blu-Ray
The posters at AVS forum (who generally know their stuff) are pretty negative about that TV in a few posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1065715

If you are using it for everything up to and including BluRay, I would go for a higher quality set. Sharp is no longer the sweetheart of the LCD market (Sony and Samsung are). The Panasonic plasmas and even a few Samsung plasma's are quite stunning, and that is where I would be looking if I was currently in the market for a flat panel display.

I personally would keep shopping around. It's a great price for a 1080p 42" with a brand name, and yes, some of the posters do seem happy with the product, but there is enough negativity to make me think there is a good chance it's inferior in a number of ways according to AVS.

rg_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
I agree with rg_93, I would avoid that set based on what they are saying there. That's actually the most negativity I have ever read about a name brand TV on AVS.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Scooter13z

Thanks both of you. I read that whole thread and agree with you both. Sounds like an OK TV, but too many negative comments about it. I'll keep an eye out for other deals.

Old
12-16-2008, 06:54 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Best deal you can find on a 42" set will be a Panasonic entry level plasma.... A great bang for your buck set....

If you have to delay your purchase to save up for the right set... definitely do so.... It would be worth it in my book...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Scooter13z

bumping this. I've been looking at some more HDTV's recently. Theres one on sale at newegg right now for $850 shipped: 42LG50 link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889005023

I've also been looking at this set: http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...27_US_CONSUMER

Anyone have any advice? Is $850 a good price for that set? Is the philips better than the LG?