HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-purpose Plekanec thread

Old
01-28-2009, 12:14 PM
habdynasty

vCash: 500
Pleks is 3rd line center, he is too small and weak to ever be a first or second liner. If this guy is still a hab come playoff time the team has no chance, why did the habs draft so many little weaklings over the years? who would have thought Lapierre would be the best centerman on the team?? please Bob trade pleks !!!!!!

habdynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Maxpac

It's too bad players don't have their own entrance music like wrestlers, cause that one suits Plekanec like a leather glove on a women's hand

Last edited by Maxpac: 01-29-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
2-3 millions/ 3-4 years would be perfect, since his value is low right now and will be way better next year.
Remember Ryder?

If he has 30+ points year, as it seems, theres absolutely no way Gainey offers him more than one year ... and it will propably be for less money too. He could be better next year, sure, but he could remain the same or become worse too. Giving underachieving players and hoping isnt way to build strong team.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-28-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:40 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Pleks is 3rd line center, he is too small and weak to ever be a first or second liner. If this guy is still a hab come playoff time the team has no chance, why did the habs draft so many little weaklings over the years? who would have thought Lapierre would be the best centerman on the team?? please Bob trade pleks !!!!!!
agreed, bob better step up, his plan is failing, by waiting.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:54 PM
CPrice

Plek was my favorite player last year. What happened

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

the curse of the little girl

Rscorpio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:12 PM
DaHabMan

i think its his contract situation, some players just dont react well when there is no security. Just look at ryder last year, he lost all hope and didnt feel secure playing on a one-year deal, especially since he was doing it for 3 years in row. when you feel the organization has no confidence in you it will affect your play or at least of certain players. Look at higgins, when his name is mentioned in trade rumours he starts sucing it up. I say its time to start offering extensions to some of our players. with the stats plecky has it wont cost an arm to sign him. I say 2 years and whatever millions dollars and lets see how he reacts afterwards.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Fire Brunet*

He looks like Samsonov out there...

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:19 PM
DaHabMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
PLEC IS brutal, not trying, how long do we endure this?
hmm plecky is definitely trying out there but its just not working for him, theres a difference between trying without anyting happening and being lazy

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

People are being too harsh on plekanec.
Lets face it last year no one expected a 70 point season. He wasnt christened as our number 1 center.
Everything worked during the regular season with kovy and kosti, the PP was on like gangbusters.

In my opinion, he isnt a 1st line guy and that pressure and consistency isnt there. Its not like he became like this, this is how he palyed last year. Well, he was definetly more oppurtunistic and hungry, but his perimiter play was always there. He was playing with more confidence, and he could do no wrong because there was no expectation.

If he was put in a non pressure role, he could flourish again, as long as fans maintain expectations. He will never be physical, he will never battle against the board, he will not be the player you all want. Accept that Thomas Plekanec is a dainty center with good speed, decent shot, good hands, but is a 180 pounds wet and wouldnt be able to fend off a fly without resorting to a panicked slapping motion.
That is who he is, do not be surprised. If any other team, and i mean any minus Islanders or Leafs, he is the 3rd line, maybe maybe 2nd line guy.

Canadian_Brewtality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:29 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I wanted to see him for a while now and while it was obvious that the Maxwell experiment was not working, we should have sent him earlier and bring Lehoux back. The guy is doing everything he can and then some. The problem lies on the fact that even if you want to sit Plekanec, you're not going to call up Lehoux and still put Bégin in the stands. Or you sit Pleks and SKost as a message and play Bégin and call up Lehoux. I wouldn't be against it.

But it will not happened. The best thing that could happen for Lehoux is him being the next callup if there are injuries.
If Lehoux got called up to replace Pleks, I would puke. I don't see why he would be recalled though he reminds me a bit of Corey Locke.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Lehoux (You maybe asking yourself Le who?) is, in my humble opinion, the only player down in Hamilton that could center an offensive line in the NHL. He has played 10 NHL games, 2G 2A, wich is not bad because it's too differant call up (I still dont know why people gave up on him). He's laso having a superb season in Hamilton pointwise, 46GP 15G 28A 43Pts. If we have to sit Plex we could replace him by Lehoux for a couple of game just to give Plex a taste of urgency, so he doesn't feel that his spot as an offensive center is assured.

Now could thos who follow the Bulldogs tell me what does Lehoux look like in the minors? Is he another perimeter player, does he use his size (6.01 200lbs) a bit?

PS: All that idea is to help Plex get better and give the team energy.
Lehoux is not the answer, he plays slower and smaller than Pleks.

The problem with Plekanec is he hardly ever drives the net, 90% of the times he pulls the same move going wide and does the same without the puck. I don't think it's a grit problem because he does ok in 1 on 1 battles. He makes it hard for Kovalev to give him the puck because he doesn't go to scoring areas. Last year A.Kost was on that line and he goes to the net well. He has become so predictable teams know what he will do.

I think he could be expendable simply because we have Koivu and Lang, although both are UFA's in July

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
Every game can't be a good game and by extension every year can't be a good year. He's still young and inconsistent. He is a good complimentary player. He's having trouble satisfying raised expectations and producing consistently and it's looking like he'll have trouble creating his own offence (Last year he benefited from Kovalev's great play and the space that created).

It is not a good time to trade T.Pleakanec. I think your idea of sending him a message may work, but it might also be ineffective as it may be "pointing the finger" at him. Granted he's a pro and should be able to deal with some blame, but Kovy's probably more used to it so I'd place it on his shoulders.

I'd move Kovy down to the 3rd/4th line for a game or part of, before tinkering with Plekanec.

Sooner or later he'll have to start producing though...
Why move Kovy to the 3rd or 4th line when it's Plekanec dragging him down and not the other way around.

Old
01-28-2009, 04:41 PM
mtl_felix

I own a plekanec jersey and he was my favorite player last year.
Sucks to see him in a huge down like this.. he's a hard worker though.. we'll see what happens.

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
It's really too bad how badly Plekanec has slipped this year. He was counted on to be a a top forward this year but has become a liability. Solution : ?????? He has little trade value now but he can't get worse. I think he's an emotional and proud guy who is pissed by the way he's playing and is dismayed that he's no longer on the PP and that his career has taken a few steps back. The big pay day he expected at the end of the year won't be there. He has not lost his skills - he needs to get his head screwed on right and stop feeling sorry for himself and only then will he break out. Would a few games in the pressbox help? I'm not sure.
I think he still has plenty of trade value. I'm pretty sure most NHL teams would be interested if we put him out there, he's still relatively young(25 or 26?), and he showed last year he can be a low end #1 center or high end #2. NHL GM's won't suddenly drop his value by 60% just because he's having an off year.

The tough spot from a Habs standpoint is that if you let him go, you have 2 UFA's as your #1 and 2 next year plus Lapierre is a #3 at best and Maxwell still needs at least a year AHL. The best solution for him is to get his game in order.

Old
01-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
Yeah like Ryder last year. Only he got put in the press box sometimes. I wonder why Plecaneks gets the free-ride, likely cause of injuries, or is he Carbonneau's niece?
Unlike Ryder, Plekanec contributes to other aspects of the game. He kills penalties and is responsible 5-on-5. He's having a crap year, but Ryder is completely useless unless he is scoring. Plekanec has other uses as well.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:51 PM
lou4gehrig

We are swimming in good prospects and young depth that is the envy of the NHL. And we are talking about playing Lehoux as an alternative to Plekanec? That's what trades are for. Time to go for broke and get a top level player. The time of penny pinching and collecting assets is over. Time to spend some of those chips that Timmins and Gainey have worked so hard to collect.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:53 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Unlike Ryder, Plekanec contributes to other aspects of the game. He kills penalties and is responsible 5-on-5. He's having a crap year, but Ryder is completely useless unless he is scoring. Plekanec has other uses as well.
actually Ryder has some pretty impressive defensive stats this year, for M Ryder that is !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
The size and strength thing is BS. People always pull that one out when the Habs lose. Size and strength is not cosing us games this year and it didn't cost us anything last year in the playoffs.

Plekanec is is as big as 50% of the centers in the NHL and as big as the top 3 centers on Boston. His problem is not size, it's that he is too predictable and he doesn't go to the net with and without the net, as a result of that he's lost confidence and it's snowballed into a crappy season.

He put up what, around 60 point last year, I don;y think he sjrunk over the summer.

Old
01-28-2009, 04:56 PM
muzion

Fact of the matter is that he's a 3rd line center with offensive skills asked to carry a task he is not built for. He has no size, is not even that good of a stickhandler and has never shown he possesses the vision to feed his linemates. He hasn't done it at all this year. He has not been benched because he works hard but he's in over his head. Last year he got his points on the PP, SH and on breakouts. He was the benefactor of the best or 2nd best transition game in the league.

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:59 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The size and strength thing is BS. People always pull that one out when the Habs lose. Size and strength is not cosing us games this year and it didn't cost us anything last year in the playoffs.

Plekanec is is as big as 50% of the centers in the NHL and as big as the top 3 centers on Boston. His problem is not size, it's that he is too predictable and he doesn't go to the net with and without the net, as a result of that he's lost confidence and it's snowballed into a crappy season.

He put up what, around 60 point last year, I don;y think he sjrunk over the summer.
P Bergeron - 6'1 190 lbs is the biggest of the 5 centers palying for the Ruins.
T Pleks- 5'10 190 lbs so it justs proves my point about work ethics. The Ruins centers work harder than Pleks...trade him.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 05:11 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
ryder 34 points and a plus 21... useless!!!!

habdynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 05:45 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
People are being too harsh on plekanec.
Lets face it last year no one expected a 70 point season. He wasnt christened as our number 1 center.
Everything worked during the regular season with kovy and kosti, the PP was on like gangbusters.

In my opinion, he isnt a 1st line guy and that pressure and consistency isnt there. Its not like he became like this, this is how he palyed last year. Well, he was definetly more oppurtunistic and hungry, but his perimiter play was always there. He was playing with more confidence, and he could do no wrong because there was no expectation.

If he was put in a non pressure role, he could flourish again, as long as fans maintain expectations. He will never be physical, he will never battle against the board, he will not be the player you all want. Accept that Thomas Plekanec is a dainty center with good speed, decent shot, good hands, but is a 180 pounds wet and wouldnt be able to fend off a fly without resorting to a panicked slapping motion.
That is who he is, do not be surprised. If any other team, and i mean any minus Islanders or Leafs, he is the 3rd line, maybe maybe 2nd line guy.
Reminded me of when we acquired Samsonov, all the pressure was on Plekanec to help Samsonov and Kovalev produce... and he failed miserably... only when Carbonneau decided to give him some time off this line (sent to the 4th) that he found his game back... no more pressure, no "need" to produce offensively, and he started to get better, enough to be promoted back to an offensive role (with higgins and Kostytsin)...

I wonder why it hasnt been tried yet this year, I mean, just give him Stewart/begin type of wingers, 10 min a game + PK and let him play...

he may not find his offensive game back but hey! at worst we'll have a VERY solid line defensively... that would be a start!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 05:47 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
P Bergeron - 6'1 190 lbs is the biggest of the 5 centers palying for the Ruins.
T Pleks- 5'10 190 lbs so it justs proves my point about work ethics. The Ruins centers work harder than Pleks...trade him.
Actually, the only thing it proves is that he's not THAT small...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 05:52 PM
sampollock

plec's is a 2nd line centre,

and thus as always, and has been for many years, the habs don't have a stud #1 centre...
and it shows

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote