HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could betts be in the running for a selke trophy?

Old
01-26-2009, 11:40 PM
FromTheSide

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
What about Chris Drury?

He's got some offense to him, along with his defensive capabilities.

Does he have a chance?
I would say yes but the minus stat would make the league think otherwise.

Also if the selke trophy was for "2 way forwards" than it should have been made saying "the best 2 way forward" not best defensively!

theres a reason why theres a selke and than theres a hart trophy right?

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I don't think he should win it, but I also don't feel him being nominated is obsurd. I do think he is in the top 3 defensive centers of the league. Was Pandolfo ever nominated for one?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 01:08 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
I would say yes but the minus stat would make the league think otherwise.

Also if the selke trophy was for "2 way forwards" than it should have been made saying "the best 2 way forward" not best defensively!

theres a reason why theres a selke and than theres a hart trophy right?
you're missing the point. It may be called best defensive forward, but thats not the way it is traditionally voted for. It is generally the best 2 way forward.

Just like how the Norris Trophy doesnt really go to stay at home shutdown type defensive defenseman.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 02:19 AM
GarretJoseph*

He doesn't deserve it.

I love the guy and he lives for our PK, but no. Not a hope.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:36 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

When his competition is Datsyuk and Zetterberg, no a prayer.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 03:58 AM
Nyrvana

Datsyuk is just as good as Betts defensively plus he adds a lot of points. I like Betts, but he is a completely Renney-made player. After all the defenseman, I'm sure Betts is Renney's next favorite. Every team needs a player like Betts, and he's great at what he does but I wouldn't vote for him for the Selke.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 05:51 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
Datsyuk is just as good as Betts defensively plus he adds a lot of points. I like Betts, but he is a completely Renney-made player. After all the defenseman, I'm sure Betts is Renney's next favorite. Every team needs a player like Betts, and he's great at what he does but I wouldn't vote for him for the Selke.
Exactly, and when teams play the Red Wings they strategize how to get their top line away from Datsyuk, because not only will he outplay them, but he can shut them down for an entire game. Teams don't wait for Betts to get on the ice and throw their fourth line out there. The rangers fourth line to me is an energy line that brings hustle and good forcheck (and on some nights offense). I also agree that Betts defensively is probably a top-3 fourth line center, but the Selke usually goes to 3rd line centers (Datsyuk and Zetterberg are rare exceptions).

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 06:00 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
though betts is great defensively there are fowards who are better defensive players, including datysuk. datysuk is amazing on both sides of the ice. the guy is a puck magnet no matter where he is on the ice...

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

If the Selke was based purely on Penalty Kill ability than maybe Betts would win it.

Otherwise, no.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
pretty brutally negative opinion of a guy who just blocks shot after shot and constantly breaks up passes on the PK...

I'd have to see our PK or GAA w/o him...
Not really--especially given the subject (the Selke trophy--which as several others have pointed out go to complete players who can play in any situation and make a difference).

And very honestly, I think Betts is a fairly marginal player who does one thing decently and has found a niche with a coach who overvalues defense because it's the aspect of the game that can be controlled.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:42 AM
trademasterb*

This thread is so stupid, can the mods please close it. Betts is a below average NHL player.

trademasterb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 05:45 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademasterb View Post
This thread is so stupid, can the mods please close it. Betts is a below average NHL player.
Grow up and respect other peoples opinion.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 06:24 AM
HeartBeatsTalent

betts is the perfect 4th line center. He will never hurt you, does his job and knows his limitations. he's one of the best penalty killers in the league and without him the rangers would outside the top ten in pk %. However theres no way his name gets mentioned for this award and i'm one of the biggest blair "bring your lunch pail" betts fan out there. i love players like him that never quit but awards are for the stars. also dats deserves the award. betts is a great team defender but not a man to man defender. He understands the game very well but he's not a one on one type defender at all.

HeartBeatsTalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 01:48 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
Datsyuk is just, an amazing player all-around. Its tough to beat him.

I like Betts a lot. He's what I would consider a "Devil-type" player. Lots of heart, plays a great game even if it doesn't show on the score sheet. He's kind of like Pandolfo (a couple years ago).

He's got a chance to get nominated, especially since Brind'Amour is sucking, Madden has lost a step. Andrew Ladd is making a good name for himself this year, and Richards fits the mold. I just can't see Betts topping those two, let alone Datsyuk. Its cool that he's getting some notice. The thing that really makes Betts so valuable is his salary. He's like, the most amazing bargain out there. Nobody does what he does at his price.
You take that back, sir.

Even though the Selke is given to the "best defensive forward" those who are saying that it's viewed much more as a two-way players award are dead-on. Much like baseball's Gold Glove, unless you are an other-wordly defensive player, you have to provide at least average offense in order to be considered. And while Betts is fantastic at what he does and is one of my favorite players on the team, he doesn't do either of those things.

Drury actually has a better chance of getting a Selke nomination one day.

Last edited by clmetsfan: 01-28-2009 at 01:56 PM.
clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Adam Larsson

vCash: 892
Betts is a great defensive player, probably one of the best pure defensive fowards in the league. However, he doesn't score nearly enough(which apparently matters with this award) and on top of that he only plays 11 mins a game. I like him a lot but it's just not going to happen this year. I wouldn't be suprised if his offense comes around a little bit and is suddenly capable of scoring 15+ goals a year, but untill then..

Adam Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 02:14 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Not really--especially given the subject (the Selke trophy--which as several others have pointed out go to complete players who can play in any situation and make a difference).

And very honestly, I think Betts is a fairly marginal player who does one thing decently and has found a niche with a coach who overvalues defense because it's the aspect of the game that can be controlled.
His PK play is EXCELLENT, our PK is #1 and hes out there every game for PK opportunities. Saying he does it "decent" is an insult, did you miss the Anaheim game? the Chicago game?

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 04:24 PM
BRINGBACKAVERY

I don't see it happening. It would be a miracle if he even got nominated. He has the right mix of grit and hockeysmarts to win it if our "brilliant" coach Renney would give him the ice time.

BRINGBACKAVERY is offline   Reply With Quote