HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brook Orpiks?

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2004, 12:58 AM
Arel

vCash: 500
Brook Orpiks?

How good is Brook Orpiks? .. it's tough to know is value because he play with the worst team of the league..but.. what's you take on Orpiks?

Old
08-08-2004, 01:14 AM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arel
How good is Brook Orpiks? .. it's tough to know is value because he play with the worst team of the league..but.. what's you take on Orpiks?

As a Pens fan I will try not to be a homer. Orpik is going to be a valuable pillar of the future Pens D. A devastating open-ice hitter with good position and hockey sense, Orpik has the ability to be a Mark Tinordi with better skating. When he was drafted some even compared him to Scott Stevens - admittedly an overly optimistic comparison, at this point of Orpik's development. But Orpik definitely has the tool to become a very physical, punishing defensive dman for years to come.

While his offense is nothing to write home about, Orpik has a smooth skating stride and an underrated first pass. More often than not he will be content to stay back and take care of his own end, as opposed to attempting offense. But he is actually not a bad passer.

What he will be known for, however, is his hitting. In his first full year of NHL hockey, playing on the Pens defense, Orpik was the most consistently physical and steady defenseman we had all season. On many nights he was our best defenseman. Opposing forwards are beginning to become more aware and careful when they enter the Pens zone when Orpik is on the ice.

Orpik has the raw hitting power of a Stevens. What he needs to improve on are his timing, positioning, and decision-making. He still gets caught out of position every once in a while, but then again he is still a rookie. He is also quietly becoming a leader, and it is not unlikely that he will be the Pens future captain.

All in all, I see a bit of Tinordi or a faster Brandon Witt as Orpik's full potential. He is a future #2 or #3 mainstay for the Pens.

Old
08-08-2004, 01:25 AM
davemess

His most memorable moment from last season was definetly the open ice hit he made on i believe it was Holik that ended up taking out 2 Rangers players and springing the Penguins on an odd man break which was converted.

Old
08-08-2004, 01:40 AM
SabresFan44

All I know is in NHL 2004 he is amazing on My Sabres dynasty...i picked him up and he's great for hits, and goals and what not.

I'm pretty sure he should be one great D Man in the future...

Old
08-08-2004, 01:42 AM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
That said, I'd still trade him (maybe even a 2nd) to the Bruins for the great Ian Moran in a heartbeat.

Who's with me? Who's with me?

Old
08-08-2004, 02:54 AM
Law Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpenguin
That said, I'd still trade him (maybe even a 2nd) to the Bruins for the great Ian Moran in a heartbeat.

Yup, you can't put a price on versatility

Old
08-08-2004, 03:47 AM
Super Reverse Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
Yup, you can't put a price on versatility
******* yeah! I'd like to see Orpik play 4th line wing for one shift!

Useless stiff, that Orpik...

Old
08-08-2004, 04:57 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
As a Pens fan I will try not to be a homer. Orpik is going to be a valuable pillar of the future Pens D. A devastating open-ice hitter with good position and hockey sense, Orpik has the ability to be a Mark Tinordi with better skating. When he was drafted some even compared him to Scott Stevens - admittedly an overly optimistic comparison, at this point of Orpik's development. But Orpik definitely has the tool to become a very physical, punishing defensive dman for years to come.

While his offense is nothing to write home about, Orpik has a smooth skating stride and an underrated first pass. More often than not he will be content to stay back and take care of his own end, as opposed to attempting offense. But he is actually not a bad passer.

What he will be known for, however, is his hitting. In his first full year of NHL hockey, playing on the Pens defense, Orpik was the most consistently physical and steady defenseman we had all season. On many nights he was our best defenseman. Opposing forwards are beginning to become more aware and careful when they enter the Pens zone when Orpik is on the ice.

Orpik has the raw hitting power of a Stevens. What he needs to improve on are his timing, positioning, and decision-making. He still gets caught out of position every once in a while, but then again he is still a rookie. He is also quietly becoming a leader, and it is not unlikely that he will be the Pens future captain.

All in all, I see a bit of Tinordi or a faster Brandon Witt as Orpik's full potential. He is a future #2 or #3 mainstay for the Pens.
Not homerish at all. This is a pretty good assesment of what I've seen as well. He's one of my favorite young players.

08-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
not to be a homer but...Orpik>God

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
08-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
One of the few prospects hyped by his respective team to live up to the hype in some years.

They said he'd kill you with his hip, well he killed many a fool with his hip last year.

Old
08-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
not to be a homer but...Orpik>God

Hmm, if what you're saying is true, then allow me to indulge myself in a lil' logical deduction game:

1) You claim that Orpik>God.
2) Raider Zero, the Pens board mod, claims that Mario=God

Therefore, Orpik > Mario.

Old
08-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Hextall27

Quote:

Thats a perfect description of Orpik, Although I think he has a slightly more potential than you give him credit for.....but Witt is a good comparison...Either way hellbe solid NHL D-man, gotta love them guys from Buffalo

Old
08-08-2004, 08:49 PM
look out for orpik

so glad that Orpik's name isn't Brook Orpiks

Old
08-08-2004, 09:21 PM
kruezer

I love this guy, I see a potential top pairing defenseman personally, but I don't watch all that often, they need to get him a guy like Kimmo Timonen to play with.

Old
08-08-2004, 09:26 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I love this guy, I see a potential top pairing defenseman personally, but I don't watch all that often, they need to get him a guy like Kimmo Timonen to play with.
Ryan Whitney.

Old
08-09-2004, 09:27 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Hmm, if what you're saying is true, then allow me to indulge myself in a lil' logical deduction game:

1) You claim that Orpik>God.
2) Raider Zero, the Pens board mod, claims that Mario=God

Therefore, Orpik > Mario.

nah, cant get higher than omnipotence. besides, im the mod, and im right regardless if i am wrong

Old
08-09-2004, 05:15 PM
penshavehope

Quote:

moaran was great and all but I'll pass on that one we had enough laughs while the pens were on the ice

im sure you were just jagging me!

Closed Thread