HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Thoughts on Mike Modano?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2009, 07:18 PM
  #1
The Goaltending Guru
Registered User
 
The Goaltending Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Goaltending Guru
Your Thoughts on Mike Modano?

Overall, looking at his entire career, what have been/are your thoughts on Mike Modano? Always liked him? Never cared for him? Personally, I think he's as much of a lock for the Hall of Fame as guys like Joe Sakic or Nicklas Lidstrom are.

The Goaltending Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 07:24 PM
  #2
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus
 
DaStars99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,095
vCash: 500
always liked him, he is a lock for the hall of fame.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 07:26 PM
  #3
Ogi1Kenobi
Registered User
 
Ogi1Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,312
vCash: 500
The fact that he's American, stayed with one franchise, and sets every record in one franchise is good enough to get him into the hall of fame.

Has there ever been a full American in the Hockey Hall of Fame?

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 07:33 PM
  #4
Kritter471
Registered User
 
Kritter471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,719
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
LaFontaine? Housley? Leetch (he of the Corpus Christi birthplace)? I don't know the HoF well enough to know if any of those are in.

As for Modano, he's great talent, incredible asset to the franchise from a marketing and development standpoint, willing to change his game for less individual honors and more team success. On the flip side, he's a prima donna, a bit of a whiner and has an incredible talent for saying the tactless thing at the wrong time.

If he's not a quick Hall of Famer, given not only what he's done on the ice but what he's meant for hockey's development in the Sun Belt, then something's wrong.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 07:35 PM
  #5
theheadmata
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
What everyone else said.

Plus he was in The Mighty Ducks.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 07:37 PM
  #6
Ogi1Kenobi
Registered User
 
Ogi1Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
LaFontaine? Housley? Leetch (he of the Corpus Christi birthplace)? I don't know the HoF well enough to know if any of those are in.

As for Modano, he's great talent, incredible asset to the franchise from a marketing and development standpoint, willing to change his game for less individual honors and more team success. On the flip side, he's a prima donna, a bit of a whiner and has an incredible talent for saying the tactless thing at the wrong time.

If he's not a quick Hall of Famer, given not only what he's done on the ice but what he's meant for hockey's development in the Sun Belt, then something's wrong.
LaFontaine is in it but not Housley.

I agree though, Mo did change his style of play for team success instead of individual honors. I mean, 93 points... if he had been on a team not so heavily structured on defense he would have broken that record when he was still in his 20's or perhaps early 30's.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 08:55 PM
  #7
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,491
vCash: 627
Again, what everyone else said.

It'll be sad to see my favourite player retire, hopefully that's at least a year from now, but his career has been nothing short of remarkable, and definitely HHOF-worthy IMO.

And yes, he's developed quite the rep for letting his mouth move faster than his brain does; quite a few head-scratchers under his belt as far as poorly-thought statements go. Despite all that, he's still the face of the Dallas Stars, always has been, and his records, both with the team and for all American hockey players league-wide, will stand for quite some time, long after he's retired.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 09:50 PM
  #8
Captain Awesome
Registered User
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,033
vCash: 500
Always loved Mike Modano, amazing to watch. Still, you can't help but feel he'd have even better numbers if the effort was there in the last few years. I think it's definitely time for him to retire, even if it'll be sad to see him go. Mike Modano is the Dallas Stars, and I'm not really sure his retirement will change that for me. I've been a fan since the cup year (thankfully before, not after). It is hard to not think of Mike Modano when you think of the Dallas Stars.

What bothers me the most about Mike is that he hasn't had a hat trick for nearly a decade, lol. I find that insane.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:11 PM
  #9
ScubaSteve*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,345
vCash: 500
Borderline Hall of Famer.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:15 PM
  #10
piqued
Global Moderator
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 31,729
vCash: 50
Every Stars fan is going to have many opinions on Modano, some of them contradictory.

Obviously a great player, and a legend in Dallas, but there's also a certain degree of frustration in how his career has wound down, justified or not. Part of it is just the natural decline of a player -- but then again we still see flashes of the dominant Mo who put the franchise on the map in the 90s. He did start this season off as the Stars' best player... he was an important contributor in last year's WCF run... he is going to yet another All-Star game.... clearly he still has the raw ability to get the job done.

A lot of the criticism comes down to effort. You could say he's always played a perimeter game. Is he really trying less hard now? I doubt it. He clearly has the heart. No Stars fan can ever forget his performance in the 2000 Finals.

Then there are moments when he fails to make extremely simple plays, such as the puck just dribbling off his stick on an otherwise promising rush up the ice. His insistence on attempting the high-risk play in almost every situation can be maddening.

Next thing you know though he'll be shooting a laser into the top corner to win the game and all will be well.
There's no easy way to sum up Mike Modano.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:33 PM
  #11
Chad_
 
Chad_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
I don't know the guy, but his wife is hot.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:10 PM
  #12
Dallasman
Registered User
 
Dallasman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,682
vCash: 500
My favourite Star of all-time. No one will ever replace him in my eyes. He is by far the face of the franchise and he is a Hall of Famer for sure. There is no doubt about that.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2009, 11:21 AM
  #13
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Borderline Hall of Famer.
There is nothing Borderline about him ...he will get in without a doubt!

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 09:03 AM
  #14
Dave Karp
Registered User
 
Dave Karp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TretiakFan20 View Post
Overall, looking at his entire career, what have been/are your thoughts on Mike Modano? Always liked him? Never cared for him? Personally, I think he's as much of a lock for the Hall of Fame as guys like Joe Sakic or Nicklas Lidstrom are.
Modano's my favourite player of all-time but I disagree with Modano being a lock like those guys are. Sakic and Lidstrom will probably both be 1st ballot HoFers, I don't see Modano getting in first time around. Maybe if you factor in that he was the face of an American franchise and helped grassroots hockey in a America immensely, he could. But based on statistics alone it's going to be close.

But, by no means do I think he won't get in. Just saying there have been some great players who didn't get in first time around.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 11:37 AM
  #15
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,491
vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo'sShow09 View Post
Modano's my favourite player of all-time but I disagree with Modano being a lock like those guys are. Sakic and Lidstrom will probably both be 1st ballot HoFers, I don't see Modano getting in first time around. Maybe if you factor in that he was the face of an American franchise and helped grassroots hockey in a America immensely, he could. But based on statistics alone it's going to be close.

But, by no means do I think he won't get in. Just saying there have been some great players who didn't get in first time around.
That's understandable. If it's between him or Sakic getting in, obviously Sakic would get the nod. But Modano will get in eventually, of that I am certain.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 03:01 PM
  #16
Caseman
Registered User
 
Caseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadmata View Post
Plus he was in The Mighty Ducks.
That seals it I tink.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2009, 06:40 PM
  #17
MadarameIkakku83
Registered User
 
MadarameIkakku83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Modano will get in the hall of fame, the only question is when.. for me he has been one of top 5 most exciting players since he has played hockey in the nhl, hope he sticks around for a bit longer

MadarameIkakku83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 05:10 AM
  #18
Penner getrdonebryan
Registered User
 
Penner getrdonebryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rou.
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,807
vCash: 500
Modano is my all-time favourite player because he was the first NHL player to heard of . Yes from "the Mighty Ducks" . But after watching those series I really got into hockey and follow my teams with passion
Go Stars ,hopefully you won't mind if I'm hanging around here for some time - I've got the feeling that Dallas will make one heck of a run for a playoff spot this season

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:00 PM
  #19
ScubaSteve*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
There is nothing Borderline about him ...he will get in without a doubt!
Why? Just because he's your favorite player on your favorite team, that doesn't make him an automatic Hall of Famer. His numbers are very nice, but there are a number of players with better career numbers who aren't in. Only one 50 goal season, no 100 point seasons, no scoring titles, no hardware of any kind outside of the '99 Cup. If he gets in, it will be because of his contribution to American hockey. That's why I say he's borderline.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:08 PM
  #20
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,491
vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Why? Just because he's your favorite player on your favorite team, that doesn't make him an automatic Hall of Famer. His numbers are very nice, but there are a number of players with better career numbers who aren't in. Only one 50 goal season, no 100 point seasons, no scoring titles, no hardware of any kind outside of the '99 Cup. If he gets in, it will be because of his contribution to American hockey. That's why I say he's borderline.
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1463

Now that right there is a Hall of Famer's credential's.

Care to rethink your ideas on what makes a HHOFer?

Again, we're not saying Modano's a first-ballot hall of famer, because depending on who he's up against, he most likely will not get in on the first try. But to be in the league as long as he has, to be as gifted, loyal, and consistent as he has, I think his ticket's as good as stamped.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:33 PM
  #21
ScubaSteve*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1463

Now that right there is a Hall of Famer's credential's.

Care to rethink your ideas on what makes a HHOFer?

Again, we're not saying Modano's a first-ballot hall of famer, because depending on who he's up against, he most likely will not get in on the first try. But to be in the league as long as he has, to be as gifted, loyal, and consistent as he has, I think his ticket's as good as stamped.
Different era. Duff also won six Stanley Cups.

I'm not saying Modano won't get in either, I'm just saying he's by no means a lock.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:54 PM
  #22
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Why? Just because he's your favorite player on your favorite team, that doesn't make him an automatic Hall of Famer. His numbers are very nice, but there are a number of players with better career numbers who aren't in. Only one 50 goal season, no 100 point seasons, no scoring titles, no hardware of any kind outside of the '99 Cup. If he gets in, it will be because of his contribution to American hockey. That's why I say he's borderline.
Modano is not my favorite player so thanks for that failed speculation. Modano is about as much of a shoe-in to the HHOF as it gets. He may not be first ballot but second or third is when is will most likely get the induction.

Do you think Sundin is a lock for the HHOF?

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2009, 12:55 PM
  #23
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Different era. Duff also won six Stanley Cups.

I'm not saying Modano won't get in either, I'm just saying he's by no means a lock.
Cam Neely says hi!

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 05:33 AM
  #24
NWAvs
Registered User
 
NWAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TretiakFan20 View Post
Overall, looking at his entire career, what have been/are your thoughts on Mike Modano? Always liked him? Never cared for him? Personally, I think he's as much of a lock for the Hall of Fame as guys like Joe Sakic or Nicklas Lidstrom are.
Love the guy and im not even a stars fan. always have (and its been a good while) good dude, should retire before he gets completely burnt out, havent been watching him lately but thats how I feel about it.

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:01 AM
  #25
aevans0001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
He gets in, maybe not first time but I think by the third time at least.

good player. If you would have asked me last season, I would have said he should retire, but this year he is playing with a little more passion. It has been said in the past he just never saw the rookies coming up in the system, and it was hard for him to be excited, but this season with Fabian Brunnstrom and James Neal, along with some of our other young talent he has been reinvigerated.....

We will see, heres to 2 more years

aevans0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.