HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zetterberg Re-Signed 12Years/73Mil

Old
01-28-2009, 07:08 PM
norrisnick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Sure they are circumventing the salary cap. How is anyone going to catch them?

I would imagine that this will be addressed in the next CBA.

I imagine the owners will be trying to eliminate no-cut contracts in the next CBA, like it is in the NFL.
The easiest way to fix this is to stop having the average count against the cap. Actual dollars against the cap. Problem solved.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 07:22 PM
HenrikZ40

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
The easiest way to fix this is to stop having the average count against the cap. Actual dollars against the cap. Problem solved.
I hate your avatar.

HenrikZ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Fighter
Legend

Fantastic contract for the Wings, terrible job by Zetterberg's agent.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
Getzlaf is still the best value.

This deal seems crazy at first, a late 30's Zetterberg probably won't be worth $6 M, but in 8 or 9 years with normal inflation and everything that probably wouldn't be nearly as big of a cap hit. I think Zetterberg's agent indeed did a terrible job. Unless Zetterberg's back really does cripple him.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 07:31 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Sure they are circumventing the salary cap. How is anyone going to catch them?
That's always an issue with contracts (and law for that matter).

You can't be punished (or at least shouldn't be) for cheating against the spirit or intended meaning of a contract or a law.

You have to break the actual language of the agreed text (which is why both contracts and law are written in "legalese").

The only thing they can do change the text for the next time.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
This is quite ironic coming from the guy who can't seem to ignore whenever anyone makes fun of eklund and his ridiculous predictions.
I find it ironic when people go out of their way to complain, *****, and moan about someone getting attention and ... proceed to give that person the very attention they wish said person didn't have. If you don't want someone to get attention, quit going out of your way to ***** and complain about them yourself. It's really that simple.

Then again, I find it amusing that some people still don't understand the definition of the word 'rumor' much like how some people have no idea of the concept of 'karma'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I can get into a pissing contest with you Red Wings fans all day...your team is soft and boring to watch. Guys like Kocur, McCarty, and Probert have been replaced by a bunch of European Chazz Michael Michaels' types. Boring!

I can't believe Maltby still gets an NHL paycheck while Aaron Downey is in the AHL.
Aw, crap. You have no idea how right you really are. Thousands of Red Wings fans will read this and be so miserable, they'll be crying themselves to sleep clutching their '2008 Stanley Cup Champions' garb. How will they ever cope?

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
God ****, what a steal.

Now to see how he plays while he's getting paid so much money...

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:42 PM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
Getzlaf is still the best value.

This deal seems crazy at first, a late 30's Zetterberg probably won't be worth $6 M, but in 8 or 9 years with normal inflation and everything that probably wouldn't be nearly as big of a cap hit. I think Zetterberg's agent indeed did a terrible job. Unless Zetterberg's back really does cripple him.
He doesnt make $6 million a year. Does it bear repeating, again?

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Blades 0f Steel

According to nhlnumbers.com, the Wings have 58M tied up in cap space next year. I wonder if it's possible to get Holmstrom re-signed.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Dialamo
Nu Joyzee Dovals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
You're wrong.
Bah, I figured. If it was like the way I posted it, buyouts would be a whole lot easier to swallow with front loaded contracts.

Dialamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Cruiser008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
What happened to all the Redwing fans not wanting to sign him for more than 1-2 years last year because of back problems?
The Cup changes EVERYTHING.

Cruiser008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Zetterberg4Captain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
According to nhlnumbers.com, the Wings have 58M tied up in cap space next year. I wonder if it's possible to get Holmstrom re-signed.
1. more like 48 M

2. Holmstrom makes 2.25 M next year, they don't need to re-sign him...

Zetterberg4Captain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:11 AM
Kingler

Value wise its even in IMO.

Zetterberg could probably get around $8M a year deal, but I suspect that if he signed an $8yr deal till say 35, and sign for an additional 5 yrs to 40, he may get around $72M total anyways:

So if 7yrs @ $8M = $56M, and leave $18M for remaining 5 yrs after 35 or $3.6M/yr

The above deal is fair IMO. So if you just take the net, then Zetterberg end up making the same over the 12 years.

But then the great thing about the contract is that the cap hit gets extended. Sure the Wings will have to pay higher cap hit in the later years, but by then who knows how high the cap will be but I'm pretty sure its much higher than now. This will allow for more flexibility in the short (next 5-7 years) term.

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 03:05 AM
Coffey77

I like the deal overall. 12 years is scary but for the short term it's great because they have a better chance at retaining some of their other free agents. Hehe, assuming those guys don't get crazy deals too.

If Zetterberg signed a shorter contract or went UFA he surely would have gotten $8 million a year.

Coffey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 03:09 AM
IdealisticSniper

Ah only on HFboards will Lecavaliers contract of 11 years be called ridiculous but a contract of 12 years to a similar age player is "genius".

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 07:41 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Tsk tsk...wrong website sir. Try ~$48M

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
According to nhlnumbers.com, the Wings have 58M tied up in cap space next year.
If they really have Detroit shown as having $58 million in cap space tied up for next season, then anyone still using the site after seeing that is . Only a complete moron would think that the Red Wings have $58 million in cap space tied up for next season - but then again, we're talking about a site that added $3.5 million, $3.5 million and $6.5 million and still cannot come up with the correct answer of $13.5 million. The fact that anyone thinks it's reliable, given that it admits up front that it's not that accurate, is .

No, the Red Wings have about $48,916,667 allocated for next season, depending on who you want to count. I count the 17 players on a 1-way contract for next season; one of the Red Wings fans can list them if they want.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Cheap price in dollars, yes - cheap price in cap hit, no.

I pointed out earlier that if they bought him out of the last two years of his SPC, his cap hit would still be $5.333M each of those last two years.

Any cap discount a team gets by front loading a contract gets paid back if the player gets bought out before the end of the contract. Those two last years save the Wings $10M over the first 10 years ($6M/yr vs $7M/yr) - if they buy out the last two years they pay back that discount at an extra $5M/yr (above the actual buyout $'s) cap hit over those years.
Okay, I didn't know that. I thought the cap hit was calculated differently and based on remaining salary and the number of years remaining on the deal. So I guess buying him out isn't that great of an option.

Still, trade him to whatever team is struggling to reach the cap floor in 2019 (if there is one). Problem solved.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:36 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
If they really have Detroit shown as having $58 million in cap space tied up for next season, then anyone still using the site after seeing that is . Only a complete moron would think that the Red Wings have $58 million in cap space tied up for next season - but then again, we're talking about a site that added $3.5 million, $3.5 million and $6.5 million and still cannot come up with the correct answer of $13.5 million. The fact that anyone thinks it's reliable, given that it admits up front that it's not that accurate, is .

No, the Red Wings have about $48,916,667 allocated for next season, depending on who you want to count. I count the 17 players on a 1-way contract for next season; one of the Red Wings fans can list them if they want.
I use nhlnumbers for quick reference and never realized how inaccurate it was. Checking it right now says the Wings have.... $47.3 Total Caphit for next year.

Anyway, got a better, more accurate site? Love to see it (never liked nhlnumbers).

Old
01-29-2009, 08:37 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I can get into a pissing contest with you Red Wings fans all day...your team is soft and boring to watch. Guys like Kocur, McCarty, and Probert have been replaced by a bunch of European Chazz Michael Michaels' types. Boring!

I can't believe Maltby still gets an NHL paycheck while Aaron Downey is in the AHL.
So true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
He doesnt make $6 million a year. Does it bear repeating, again?
I think he is talking about cap hit.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:51 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

it's amazing; the paycuts players will take to stay somewhere.
the Devils have stolen their fair share of contracts, though.
not bashing anyone.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:06 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday View Post
I think he is talking about cap hit.
I dont know about that. He seemed intent on suggesting Z will be making $6 a year at age 39 under a laugh.

Old
01-29-2009, 09:06 AM
solo16

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
I use nhlnumbers for quick reference and never realized how inaccurate it was. Checking it right now says the Wings have.... $47.3 Total Caphit for next year.

Anyway, got a better, more accurate site? Love to see it (never liked nhlnumbers).
he runs.... www.nhlscap.com

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:20 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post
he runs.... www.nhlscap.com
Thankee-sai.

Old
01-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
I find it ironic when people go out of their way to complain, *****, and moan about someone getting attention and ... proceed to give that person the very attention they wish said person didn't have. If you don't want someone to get attention, quit going out of your way to ***** and complain about them yourself. It's really that simple.
Deep breaths buddy.. deep breaths. Repeat after me "it is only a hockey message board".

Your suggestion to me was to ignore you if I didn't like what you had to say. Maybe you should ignore the eklund threads or those posts about *****ing?

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 01-29-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote