HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Perimeter, the right way to go!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2009, 08:04 PM
  #26
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I disagree, perimeter players don't shoot from bad angles at all, they don't shoot unless they got a clear view of the net, which creates a lot less goal opportunities... except of course if they're on fire or the other team defence sucks...
Alright maybe bad was too strong, but let's just say that perimeter players don't show from the high/low slot very often, which have the better angles. Most of them, *cough* Plekanec, will shoot from the side of the net, which is pretty damn hard to get one top shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I thought Andreď gave a ****, he was alone on the ice, Lang and Sergueď were nowhere to be found.
That's your opinion and I respect it, but considering how well he's been playing lately when he gave a ****, I consider that last night he didn't. And yes, Lang and Sergei were floaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
But it hurts.
So does being eliminated in the 2nd round.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:03 AM
  #27
Chris Nilan
Registered User
 
Chris Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You best guys have to be character guys. Let's address this in the upcoming drafts as well. Skilled and fast are fine, character and grit needs to be taken into consideration. We need to draft more MaxPac and Subban type of players....WE NEED EMOTION!!!!!
Um, snore. Emotion? Please. How about scoring a goal. That was never a let down.

I like to look at the successful teams. Does Detroit ever get praised for "emotion" or "grit" or do they take care of business in a no-nonsense, professional fashion? Ever seen the Patriots? Firebrands, from coach down. The Colts? Tony Dungy is a raging house of fire. Please.

Oh, and Tiger Woods and Sid the Kid are complete freaking robots.

Richest athlete in the world: Michael Schumacher. He's cold as ice and young Hamilton is not far off. Emotion doesn't win races. It gets you killed.

What is "grit," exactly? Who has grit? I'd take Koivu over Sundin, say, any day of the week.

If it's beating people up or rubbing people out, why doesn't Don Cherry have more wins and more rings than Bowman?

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:37 AM
  #28
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nilan View Post
Um, snore. Emotion? Please. How about scoring a goal. That was never a let down.

I like to look at the successful teams. Does Detroit ever get praised for "emotion" or "grit" or do they take care of business in a no-nonsense, professional fashion? Ever seen the Patriots? Firebrands, from coach down. The Colts? Tony Dungy is a raging house of fire. Please.

Oh, and Tiger Woods and Sid the Kid are complete freaking robots.

Richest athlete in the world: Michael Schumacher. He's cold as ice and young Hamilton is not far off. Emotion doesn't win races. It gets you killed.

What is "grit," exactly? Who has grit? I'd take Koivu over Sundin, say, any day of the week.

If it's beating people up or rubbing people out, why doesn't Don Cherry have more wins and more rings than Bowman?
How about scoring goals? We did all year last year.....how did the playoffs go exactly? And then good job taking Detroit as an example, the only team in the past freakin years to win Cups without a star goalie. A team that has the pleasure in having 2 of the best 2-way players in the game and the best d-man in the league for the past how many years now? And then, having Holmstrom, Frenzen, Draper, in your team doesn't hurt as far as grit is concerned, in addition with a tough defense to play against and a great system on top of that.

Oh and Tiger Woods and Crosby don't have emotion? Sure....it's not because they're dull in interviews that you don't see the fire in their eyes when they play.....good job taking a golf athlete and proving that they don't have emotion since clearly it's a sport when you're allowed to show it....(though ever seen how he reacts after a great shot of his???)

So now Emotion gets you killed? Ayrton Senna was sooooo emotional wasn't he??? But then let's judge an athlete as far as his emotions and his grit based on the interviews he gives on TV....please....

Who said I wouldn't take Koivu over Sundin? Koivu has obviously more grit....but his body can take what it can. You could have all the desire you want, but there's a limit to what your physical body can absorb....reason why I would want bigger guys WITH grit.....('cause evidently, when I talk about becoming bigger, I obviously don't mean Patrick Traverse bigger....)

Why does Cherry doesn't have more rings than Bowman? 'Cause there is MORE than grit and emotion. Reason why I said that our TOP guys needs to have more grit and more emotions. Was Cherry a TOP coach? Everything needs to be complimentary, you can't have one trait and not have the others. By the way, if you think that Bowman doesn't have emotion.....ask the players that played for him.....again, it's not because he's dull on TV and doesn't wear stupid outfits that he doesn't bring some emotion to his team....

Anyway, again, pretty easy to search for the exceptions and try to make it look as if it was the norm, but actually MOST of the time, people that want it more, usually have it.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:47 AM
  #29
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Maybe its just a bluff.

You make teams believe you are a perimeter team on the offense, and when playoff time comes, you drive the net, and they go "oh ****!"




do I need to add the smiley?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:51 AM
  #30
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
As I'm going throughout Arnott's 2008-9 season goals (15), I'm seeing some Nashville players doing something completely illogical and absolutely against what seems to be the Montreal Canadiens core values. 'Oh my god' I said to myself, are they actually... driving to the net? Then I remembered D'agostini who briefly did so and scored 5 goals in 6 games, but later on stopped repeating the said action.

So I'm asking you... is it some sort of taboo move in Montreal or are the players actually allowed to drive to the net from the corner or center ice?

Or did I miss something and the new Nhl is all about skating around the net and trying to pass it in front of the net where none of your teammates are and will likely never be?

Perimeter players, hmmm seems like a familiar term around this team.

Players are coached at a young age to look for open ice when skating with or without the puck.

Since the lock out and the clamp down on obstruction, teams are crowding the center of the ice in an NHL stye zone defense, making it much easier to skate outside but harder to make plays inside. Players have to program themselves to take the puck to the net even with traffic and go to the net without the puck more, even with the extra traffic.

Grinding teams do it more because it's the only way they will score, skill teams at time stay outside trying to create open ice inside by attracting a player to them thus opening an area inside.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:09 AM
  #31
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Players are coached at a young age to look for open ice when skating with or without the puck.

Since the lock out and the clamp down on obstruction, teams are crowding the center of the ice in an NHL stye zone defense, making it much easier to skate outside but harder to make plays inside. Players have to program themselves to take the puck to the net even with traffic and go to the net without the puck more, even with the extra traffic.

Grinding teams do it more because it's the only way they will score, skill teams at time stay outside trying to create open ice inside by attracting a player to them thus opening an area inside.
Again, this doesn't change anything to the fact that perimeter plays will not get you anywhere in the playoffs. Without our PP last year, I'm not even sure we would be in the said playoffs.

Even if you go on the outside and try to make a pass, you'll have limited options because:

A) Like you said, the front of the net is a crowded place and passes are easily intercepted.
B) No one is in front of the net to accept your pass and shot because no one is willing to get his nose dirty.
C)Your options are either low % passes through the slot, passes to your wingers/players on the side, circling the puck to open up the play or wrap around.

Shall I keep adding?

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:18 AM
  #32
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,318
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Carbo agrees. Stamp of authority.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:14 PM
  #33
Chris Nilan
Registered User
 
Chris Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
How about scoring goals? We did all year last year.....how did the playoffs go exactly? And then good job taking Detroit as an example, the only team in the past freakin years to win Cups without a star goalie. A team that has the pleasure in having 2 of the best 2-way players in the game and the best d-man in the league for the past how many years now? And then, having Holmstrom, Frenzen, Draper, in your team doesn't hurt as far as grit is concerned, in addition with a tough defense to play against and a great system on top of that.

Oh and Tiger Woods and Crosby don't have emotion? Sure....it's not because they're dull in interviews that you don't see the fire in their eyes when they play.....good job taking a golf athlete and proving that they don't have emotion since clearly it's a sport when you're allowed to show it....(though ever seen how he reacts after a great shot of his???)

So now Emotion gets you killed? Ayrton Senna was sooooo emotional wasn't he??? But then let's judge an athlete as far as his emotions and his grit based on the interviews he gives on TV....please....

Who said I wouldn't take Koivu over Sundin? Koivu has obviously more grit....but his body can take what it can. You could have all the desire you want, but there's a limit to what your physical body can absorb....reason why I would want bigger guys WITH grit.....('cause evidently, when I talk about becoming bigger, I obviously don't mean Patrick Traverse bigger....)

Why does Cherry doesn't have more rings than Bowman? 'Cause there is MORE than grit and emotion. Reason why I said that our TOP guys needs to have more grit and more emotions. Was Cherry a TOP coach? Everything needs to be complimentary, you can't have one trait and not have the others. By the way, if you think that Bowman doesn't have emotion.....ask the players that played for him.....again, it's not because he's dull on TV and doesn't wear stupid outfits that he doesn't bring some emotion to his team....

Anyway, again, pretty easy to search for the exceptions and try to make it look as if it was the norm, but actually MOST of the time, people that want it more, usually have it.
1. I'm on the record as saying Mtl=Det in "grit. Det has more gamebreakers and depth @ d. Mtl has goalies. Thanks for telling me what I already knew. So where does grit change any of it? You need someone who can make a difference in a close game.

2. Woods and Crosby are robots.

3. G. Villeneuve & S. Bellof. to name two. Pironi lost use of his legs but was killed in a power boat to name a third. Want more?

4. Nice that you contradict yourself again. You can't coach talent.

5. Cherry had all kinds of talent and all the "grit." Take a look at the stats. Why did he never win the cup? They had all manner of scoring, too. Speak to the issue? Add Buffalo to that list, too. They added all kinds of toughness to deal with Philly & really could score in the 70s. Why no cup? Speak to the issue?

6. Exceptions? Exceptions? I gave you the models everybody copies. Take a look at the game this Sunday. Mike Tomlin has his guys completely under control emotionally. He's low key. Want emotional? Jim Mora, Dennis Green. Ever see Tom Landry? Chuck Noll? Mike Shanahan? The emotional ones (Vermeil) are the exceptions. In control is the rule.

7. Here endeth another lesson.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:49 PM
  #34
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Who are the **** bros? Andreď might be the less perimeter player on the team.
I agree, if anybody goes to the net it's Andrei. Playing with his brother is hurting his stats.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 05:18 PM
  #35
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,294
vCash: 500
I was really hoping Gainey would turn this into a more Calgary/Old Dallas style play however this team has an Ottawa Senator vibe to it.

Watching Calgary last night versus Buffalo was just beautiful. Forechecking, hitting, grit, determination, up tempo, and hell even skill.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 05:20 PM
  #36
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
I was really hoping Gainey would turn this into a more Calgary/Old Dallas style play however this team has an Ottawa Senator vibe to it.

Watching Calgary last night versus Buffalo was just beautiful. Forechecking, hitting, grit, determination, up tempo, and hell even skill.
With a red suit, a red hat and a long with beard to Miller.

Don't base yourself on one game.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 05:39 PM
  #37
LesHabsRock
Registered User
 
LesHabsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
I was really hoping Gainey would turn this into a more Calgary/Old Dallas style play however this team has an Ottawa Senator vibe to it.

Watching Calgary last night versus Buffalo was just beautiful. Forechecking, hitting, grit, determination, up tempo, and hell even skill.
Didn't Montreal beat Calgary pretty handily this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Again, this doesn't change anything to the fact that perimeter plays will not get you anywhere in the playoffs. Without our PP last year, I'm not even sure we would be in the said playoffs.
That's a load of recycled hogwash. That reasoning is getting tiresome. The reason a team who has a great PP doesn't score more at even strength is because there isn't as much urgency to score 5 on 5. If you're up 4-2 in a game you've gone 2 for 5 on the PP late in the 3rd period there isn't really a pressing need for an even strength goal. By the same token, I'm confident that if Montreal doesn't score any PP goals in that same game that they would play the game differently and perhaps score an extra goal or two at evenstrength. Scoring on the PP changes the dynamic of how a team plays at even strength at times depending on if they have the lead or not. Montreal was down 5-0 to the Rags and won the game in a shootout 6-5 not because they had the best PP. It was determination that did it. Montreal doesn't have the best PP this year (not even close) and they're still winning and doing better than last season as a matter of fact. So, now you can see what Montreal would do without the best PP. It's happening right before your eyes. Give credit where it's due. I guess, scoring on the PP or not, this Montreal team is a very good club.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-29-2009 at 06:22 PM.
LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 06:56 PM
  #38
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
With a red suit, a red hat and a long with beard to Miller.

Don't base yourself on one game.
Cause you know, being out west has given me the privilege of only watching one flames game. I am glad you finally got to watch your first Flames game though. Isn't TSN great? Oh wait you are basing your assumption of the Flames based solely off the one game played against Montreal.

If Montreal played in the Western conference night in night out, they'd be eaten alive.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 07:48 PM
  #39
LesHabsRock
Registered User
 
LesHabsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
If Montreal played in the Western conference night in night out, they'd be eaten alive.
Is that a fact? Montreal is 6-1-1 vs the West thus far. 13 of a possible 16 points. Yeah, looks like the West really put a damper on Montreal's point totals by taking 3 points from them out of 16.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 07:49 PM
  #40
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Didn't Montreal beat Calgary pretty handily this year?



That's a load of recycled hogwash. That reasoning is getting tiresome. The reason a team who has a great PP doesn't score more at even strength is because there isn't as much urgency to score 5 on 5. If you're up 4-2 in a game you've gone 2 for 5 on the PP late in the 3rd period there isn't really a pressing need for an even strength goal. By the same token, I'm confident that if Montreal doesn't score any PP goals in that same game that they would play the game differently and perhaps score an extra goal or two at evenstrength. Scoring on the PP changes the dynamic of how a team plays at even strength at times depending on if they have the lead or not. Montreal was down 5-0 to the Rags and won the game in a shootout 6-5 not because they had the best PP. It was determination that did it. Montreal doesn't have the best PP this year (not even close) and they're still winning and doing better than last season as a matter of fact. So, now you can see what Montreal would do without the best PP. It's happening right before your eyes. Give credit where it's due. I guess, scoring on the PP or not, this Montreal team is a very good club.
Fair enough assumption, but what you don't cover is how we could not come back into games, just like tonight's game, without our almighty PP.

I agree completely that determination is the key, but our PP saved our butt a lot last year, and we didn't have the same depth either. We also lost to the flyers because our PP couldn't click. So if we want to win big, we've got to find ways to play better at ES. And perimeter play against tight, defence first teams like Boston/NJ/Florida, etc, is useless and we've been witnessing it this season.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:01 PM
  #41
LesHabsRock
Registered User
 
LesHabsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Fair enough assumption, but what you don't cover is how we could not come back into games, just like tonight's game, without our almighty PP.

I agree completely that determination is the key, but our PP saved our butt a lot last year, and we didn't have the same depth either. We also lost to the flyers because our PP couldn't click. So if we want to win big, we've got to find ways to play better at ES. And perimeter play against tight, defence first teams like Boston/NJ/Florida, etc, is useless and we've been witnessing it this season.
Really? Tonight's game Florida scored 2 PP goals to take the 2-0 lead. If you're going to take our PP goals away then you have to take Florida's away as well. You could say Florida is leading this game because of their PP and that it's saving their butts. Why the double standard? I don't get it.

BTW We badly outplayed the Flyers that series and lost because of inexperienced, poor goaltending on our end and superior goaltending by Biron. Ask any Hab player about that Flyer's series and they'll tell you the same. We scored 4 goals in game 5 and still lost.

Habs are battling tonight, especially in the second period, but Vokoun is on his game. Scoring chances favoured the Habs.

In addition to all of this anyone will tell you that special teams are a key to any good team's success. Montreal is still proving they can win despite having a not-so-good PP this year. Tonight they're losing the special teams battle and thuis losing the game. That's hockey.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:16 PM
  #42
Dogbert*
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,052
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Really? Tonight's game Florida scored 2 PP goals to take the 2-0 lead. If you're going to take our PP goals away then you have to take Florida's away as well. You could say Florida is leading this game because of their PP and that it's saving their butts. Why the double standard? I don't get it.

BTW We badly outplayed the Flyers that series and lost because of inexperienced, poor goaltending on our end and superior goaltending by Biron. Ask any Hab player about that Flyer's series and they'll tell you the same. We scored 4 goals in game 5 and still lost.

Habs are battling tonight, especially in the second period, but Vokoun is on his game. Scoring chances favoured the Habs.

In addition to all of this anyone will tell you that special teams are a key to any good team's success. Montreal is still proving they can win despite having a not-so-good PP this year. Tonight they're losing the special teams battle and thuis losing the game. That's hockey.
Please stop this ******** about the Flyers series. We didn't lose that series solely because of Price (or "luck," because you know some idiot's gonna come in here and bring that up). We also lost because the Flyers went to the net for rebounds and screens, whereas the only Hab who could be found within a ten-foot radius of Biron was Koivu. That's also part of what "grit" is, and another indication that we don't have any.

By the way, discounting Calgary's game plan because "we beat them" isn't a good idea, given that Calgary has a better record while playing against tougher competition in a better conference.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:08 PM
  #43
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Really? Tonight's game Florida scored 2 PP goals to take the 2-0 lead. If you're going to take our PP goals away then you have to take Florida's away as well. You could say Florida is leading this game because of their PP and that it's saving their butts. Why the double standard? I don't get it.

BTW We badly outplayed the Flyers that series and lost because of inexperienced, poor goaltending on our end and superior goaltending by Biron. Ask any Hab player about that Flyer's series and they'll tell you the same. We scored 4 goals in game 5 and still lost.

Habs are battling tonight, especially in the second period, but Vokoun is on his game. Scoring chances favoured the Habs.

In addition to all of this anyone will tell you that special teams are a key to any good team's success. Montreal is still proving they can win despite having a not-so-good PP this year. Tonight they're losing the special teams battle and thuis losing the game. That's hockey.
What the hell? I didn't say anything like that. I said that without a elite powerplay unit, teams have to crash the net to come back into a games, they can't simply rely on perimeter play, passing and dekes. Florida was opportunist on the PP, good for them, but they still found ways to slap us in the face at Even Strength to put the game out of reach from us. Why would that be a double standard?

All I'm saying is that last year, we had an elite powerplay to come back into those games and get the momentum back, but this year, we don't. Therefore, we have to work even harder to overcome adversity, just like in the playoffs. What is it not to get about this?

Real hockey is just starting, we'll see how they can handle the remaining of the season if they keep playing the same way at Even-strength while having a not-so good powerplay.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:36 PM
  #44
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Too many dipsy-doodlers, not enough skilled grit.

Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins, Tanguay (although injured I know), both Kostitsyn, Plekanec, D'Agostini... they're all in a very similar mold. They can show grit at times, but it's not in their nature. Nothing wrong with that, but you need a better balance in your line-up.

We need skills/grit ala Iginla, Morrow, Getzlaf, Perry, Cole, Smyth, Doan, Bernier, Brown, Arnott, Langenbrunner, Tkachuk, Guerin, Heatley, Hartnell, Malone... you know, guys with who play like Kostopoulos but with a lot more skills.

Or we could ask the NHL to change the rules and allow this new way to get our players to go to the net more...


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-29-2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: As painful as it was, I had to remove the picture. Sorry that the last part of your post doesn't make sense anymore.
Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:18 AM
  #45
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
As I'm going throughout Arnott's 2008-9 season goals (15), I'm seeing some Nashville players doing something completely illogical and absolutely against what seems to be the Montreal Canadiens core values. 'Oh my god' I said to myself, are they actually... driving to the net? Then I remembered D'agostini who briefly did so and scored 5 goals in 6 games, but later on stopped repeating the said action.

So I'm asking you... is it some sort of taboo move in Montreal or are the players actually allowed to drive to the net from the corner or center ice?

Or did I miss something and the new Nhl is all about skating around the net and trying to pass it in front of the net where none of your teammates are and will likely never be?

Perimeter players, hmmm seems like a familiar term around this team.
this is why I love the lapierre line so much. They are anti perimeter. We need more of it.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 07:32 AM
  #46
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Too many dipsy-doodlers, not enough skilled grit.

Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins, Tanguay (although injured I know), both Kostitsyn, Plekanec, D'Agostini... they're all in a very similar mold. They can show grit at times, but it's not in their nature. Nothing wrong with that, but you need a better balance in your line-up.

We need skills/grit ala Iginla, Morrow, Getzlaf, Perry, Cole, Smyth, Doan, Bernier, Brown, Arnott, Langenbrunner, Tkachuk, Guerin, Heatley, Hartnell, Malone... you know, guys with who play like Kostopoulos but with a lot more skills.

Or we could ask the NHL to change the rules and allow this new way to get our players to go to the net more...
So Bernier Perry and Getzlav have grit but A.Kost Higgins and koivu don't?

Man, the Habs have clueless fans!

That's entirely comical. Perry is the ultimate dipsy doodler, he makes Kovy look like a power forward.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 07:33 AM
  #47
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nilan View Post
7. Here endeth another lesson.


Yeah, great lesson, we need no emotions in sport.......Definately one of the worst things I've heard on this board in a long time. Good job also mixing coaches with players, as if It's not obvious that you need different kinds of personnalities to make a team succeed and good job mixing sports as if every sport is all the same, as if you need the same type of qualities in all the sports.....That post is so all over the place that it's not worth wasting my time on it...

You do seem like you know your football though.....thing is.....watch a little closely the players next time.....you might sense some emotions behind their play.

By the way, next time you know the difference between having some emotion to your game and losing it and going over the top without controlling your emotions, you can come and talk to me and give me a lesson or two....until then.....


Last edited by Whitesnake: 01-30-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 07:35 AM
  #48
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
I was really hoping Gainey would turn this into a more Calgary/Old Dallas style play however this team has an Ottawa Senator vibe to it.

Watching Calgary last night versus Buffalo was just beautiful. Forechecking, hitting, grit, determination, up tempo, and hell even skill.
Yeah because Calgary is really a Stanley Cup contender...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 07:40 AM
  #49
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Yeah because Calgary is really a Stanley Cup contender...
I will like to know what you think is missing instead of just destroying the opinions of others. Unless nothing is missing and we're just in slump...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 07:46 AM
  #50
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I will like to know what you think is missing instead of just destroying the opinions of others. Unless nothing is missing and we're just in slump...
Calgary is hardly the team I'd pattern myself after if I wanted to win a cup, they are the most overrated team in the NHL, especially their defense.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.