HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potential availability of Pronger and Niedermayer

Old
01-29-2009, 11:31 AM
HotHabsFan*

vCash: 500
Potential availability of Pronger and Niedermayer

"Rumors are starting to circulate that both Pronger and Scott Niedermayer could be available at the trading deadline, according to the Orange County Register"

i hope BG would make a serious attempt at getting Nieds ! Him and Marky on the PP.WOW !

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/m...6-season-group

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

At least Burky is not there anymore... could happen, but you better cross your fingers.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Judge Sauer*

I'd rather Pronger. the asking price on both could very well be too high for what Gainey would be willing to part with.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I really hate the guy but I would rather have Pronger

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:55 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Same!

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:55 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I would kill a small child to have Pronger on this team.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Samuelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Sauer View Post
I'd rather Pronger. the asking price on both could very well be too high for what Gainey would be willing to part with.
Definitely, from what we've seen in the past, these kind of players will require a huge overpayment

The offer would have to be something like this
To MTL:
Pronger

To ANH:
Hammer
Higgins
2 firsts

Samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:00 PM
NewHabsEra*

You may underrate Niedermayer's leadership.. This guy wins everywhere he goes.. He spend hours to prepare for the games.. I dont know what the price would be but I would be highly interested in Nieds.. Pronger is too inconsistent for me, I would pass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelson View Post
Definitely, from what we've seen in the past, these kind of players will require a huge overpayment

To MTL:
Pronger

To ANH:
Hammer
Higgins
2 firsts
While Hamrlik is having a tough time recently, you can count on him when the real season starts.. Anaheim would want youth anyway..

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-29-2009 at 07:00 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Nieder will not be moved, he dosent want to play anywhere else than in Anaheim.
Pronger is a head case, do you think he will want to play in another Canadian city after Edmonton?

I hear Sean Avery is available, lets start making some proposals...

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelson View Post

To MTL:
Pronger

To ANH:
Hammer
Higgins
2 firsts
I can't see anyone paying that much. Both guys could really help a contender, but they are no longter the players they were.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Sauer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Same!
LMAO

God I'm begining to be really annoyed with all this luv for big lugnuts who have grit and make dirty plays.

Okay, without Nieds, Pronger = no cups

Nieds, 4 cups, one Conn Smythe, one Norris (actually won it when Lids was winning it year after year).

Pronger, one cup, one norris

You don't need to hit the other player to make a good defensive move. We already have Komi, Hammer and OB who are big. I'd take Nieds ANY DAY over Pronger.

Old
01-29-2009, 12:10 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
^ Yeah, and look at your own evidence to find out which of the two would cost more...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Habs

Why on earth would either be available? Anaheim is in the middle of the pack, in a playoff position. Pronger has already demonstrated he chooses where he plays, he'd never accept a trade to Montreal.

Niedermayer has all but said its his last year, then retirement.

Sounds like hogwash.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
LMAO

God I'm begining to be really annoyed with all this luv for big lugnuts who have grit and make dirty plays.

Nieds, 4 cups, one Conn Smythe, one Norris (actually won it when Lids was winning it year after year).

You don't need to hit the other player to make a good defensive move. We already have Komi, Hammer and OB who are big. I'd take Nieds ANY DAY over Pronger.
Thats funny because those "lug nuts" were intergral parts of every championship Niedermeyer won. Hmmm...Scott Stevens? Hmmm...Ken Daneko? Hmmm...Pronger?

Big body presence, defensively efficient and a mean streak which we sorely lack.

But no lets take the older, wayyyy past his prime Niedermeyer. Good choice.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:16 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Why on earth would either be available? Anaheim is in the middle of the pack, in a playoff position. Pronger has already demonstrated he chooses where he plays, he'd never accept a trade to Montreal.

Niedermayer has all but said its his last year, then retirement.

Sounds like hogwash.
READ the link in the OP, this is from Murrays mouth directly !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
LMAO

You forgot a Hart trophy in there, somewhere.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Thats funny because those "lug nuts" were intergral parts of every championship Niedermeyer won. Hmmm...Scott Stevens? Hmmm...Ken Daneko? Hmmm...Pronger?

Big body presence, defensively efficient and a mean streak which we sorely lack.

But no lets take the older, wayyyy past his prime Niedermeyer. Good choice.
We already have Komi. Sorry but Neidermayer is way more valuable to win a cup, leadership and experience. Pronger never won a cup before he went to Anaheim to join Neidermayer and guess who was named MVP in those playoffs, and it wasn't Pronger.

Yeah, get back to reality, he's so out of his prime that he only has 3 points less than Pronger this season

And Pronger is only 2 years younger than Niedermayer.

What we really lack is a puck-moving Dman. Niedermayer has that and he's also way more efficient defensively than Pronger.

Old
01-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
You forgot a Hart trophy in there, somewhere.
Oh yeah, in 2000, but they choked in the first round of the playoffs. Theodore also won a Hart trophy.

I'll take the guy who won the Conn Smythe over the one who won the Hart.

Old
01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Maxpac

Oh man, Chris Pronger, now that would be absolute Plan A if ever becomes available for real, 6'6 punishing 2-waqy defensmen with a booming shot

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:44 PM
fatmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Nieder will not be moved, he dosent want to play anywhere else than in Anaheim.
Pronger is a head case, do you think he will want to play in another Canadian city after Edmonton?

I hear Sean Avery is available, lets start making some proposals...
C'mon, it isn't called Deadmonton for nothing!!

I think he would love it here, could we fetch Bobby Ryan as well or is he too expansive because he's on fire!

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Oilers fan here. Neither the deal that brought Pronger to Edmonton nor the deal that sent him away involved overpays. In fact, the argument could be made that both trades were steals.

From what I've seen of the Habs this year, a guy like Pronger would be just the ticket.

Quote:
We already have Komi. Sorry but Neidermayer is way more valuable to win a cup, leadership and experience. Pronger never won a cup before he went to Anaheim to join Neidermayer and guess who was named MVP in those playoffs, and it wasn't Pronger.
Pronger was the 2006 playoff MVP for the Oilers and would have been a shoe-in for the Conn Smythe if not for the flash in the pan Cam Ward.

Quote:
What we really lack is a puck-moving Dman. Niedermayer has that and he's also way more efficient defensively than Pronger.
Pronger is a puck moving defenseman and, while he is play seems to have slipped a bit this year, he's still a generational talent on the blueline. He'd also cost less than Nieds to aqcuire. Point being, Nieds would be nice, but you could do worse than Pronger.

The big downside, of course, is that he is a giant d**chebag.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
Oilers fan here. Neither the deal that brought Pronger to Edmonton nor the deal that sent him away involved overpays. In fact, the argument could be made that both trades were steals.

From what I've seen of the Habs this year, a guy like Pronger would be just the ticket.

Pronger was the 2006 playoff MVP for the Oilers and would have been a shoe-in for the Conn Smythe if not for the flash in the pan Cam Ward.

Pronger is a puck moving defenseman and, while he is play seems to have slipped a bit this year, he's still a generational talent on the blueline. He'd also cost less than Nieds to aqcuire. Point being, Nieds would be nice, but you could do worse than Pronger.

The big downside, of course, is that he is a giant d**chebag.
hey I didn't say I wouldn't take Pronger. I said I'd take Nieds over him any day of the week. Wouldn't you?

And yeah, he is a dooche.... and Nieds is a class act.

Old
01-29-2009, 01:04 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Oh yeah, in 2000, but they choked in the first round of the playoffs. Theodore also won a Hart trophy.

I'll take the guy who won the Conn Smythe over the one who won the Hart.
They choked in the first round because they had Roman Turek in net.

Pronger was a shoe-in for the Conn Smythe when he was with the Oilers. That was probably one of the greatest playoff performances I have ever seen and much more dominant than Niedermayer's.

Both are excellent defencemen but the Habs need a physical force which is why I believe Pronger is the better choice. Plus they get to keep him for an extra year as opposed to Niedermayer who becomes an UFA.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:11 PM
MTL-rules

**** Pronger... dirtiest player in the league, as good as he is, I don't want him with this team...

I'd take J-Bo over this two in a split second... espacially because he's UFA... because we can't fit Pronger's salary unless we dump Hamrlik... and good chance with that... and if it happens, I still take J-Bo... he's younger...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
They choked in the first round because they had Roman Turek in net.

Pronger was a shoe-in for the Conn Smythe when he was with the Oilers. That was probably one of the greatest playoff performances I have ever seen and much more dominant than Niedermayer's.

Both are excellent defencemen but the Habs need a physical force which is why I believe Pronger is the better choice. Plus they get to keep him for an extra year as opposed to Niedermayer who becomes an UFA.
Yeah but Nieds being a UFA means he'll cost less on the trading block. And Anaheim is probably less relunctant to trade Nieds considering this. They think might otherwise because of other reasons like internal conflicts, but that, we can't know.

IMO, we don't need that much of a physical force on the D, as we have OB, Komi and Hammer. Its more on the O that we need it. We have a speedy offense that needs better outlet passes to rush out of the zone and Nieds is one of the best for that.