HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Potential availability of Pronger and Niedermayer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2009, 12:16 PM
  #26
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
**** Pronger... dirtiest player in the league, as good as he is, I don't want him with this team...

I'd take J-Bo over this two in a split second... espacially because he's UFA... because we can't fit Pronger's salary unless we dump Hamrlik... and good chance with that... and if it happens, I still take J-Bo... he's younger...
2 bad weeks and now Hammer is worth ****.

Typical.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:20 PM
  #27
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
2 bad weeks and now Hammer is worth ****.

Typical.
Try to move Hamrlik and his 11mil left on his contract with the recession...

Stop being a smartass and see that it would be extremely difficult to trade Hammer...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:22 PM
  #28
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 14,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Yeah but Nieds being a UFA means he'll cost less on the trading block. And Anaheim is probably less relunctant to trade Nieds considering this. They think might otherwise because of other reasons like internal conflicts, but that, we can't know.

IMO, we don't need that much of a physical force on the D, as we have OB, Komi and Hammer. Its more on the O that we need it. We have a speedy offense that needs better outlet passes to rush out of the zone and Nieds is one of the best for that.
He could very well cost less. I question his heart to an extent though. I love the guy, but joining the Ducks a half a season late last year and only signing with them in the first place because his brother played there, what does that all mean coming to the Habs?

I think we do need a physical force. With guys like Lucic and Neil running around, an elbow to the head from Pronger would stop that. As for offence, Niedermayer is faster, but Pronger has one of the best outlet passes in the league.

Anyways, I would openly take both and I would easily take either before JayBo. so if they are available I hope Bob makes a serious offer. That would mean two #1 defencemen on the team which is a luxury no other team has except for the current Ducks of course.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:24 PM
  #29
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He could very well cost less. I question his heart to an extent though. I love the guy, but joining the Ducks a half a season late last year and only signing with them in the first place because his brother played there, what does that all mean coming to the Habs?

I think we do need a physical force. With guys like Lucic and Neil running around, an elbow to the head from Pronger would stop that. As for offence, Niedermayer is faster, but Pronger has one of the best outlet passes in the league.

Anyways, I would openly take both and I would easily take either before JayBo. so if they are available I hope Bob makes a serious offer. That would mean two #1 defencemen on the team which is a luxury no other team has except for the current Ducks of course.
i agree 100%, and Pronger would be first on my list also.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:25 PM
  #30
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Oh yeah, in 2000, but they choked in the first round of the playoffs. Theodore also won a Hart trophy.

I'll take the guy who won the Conn Smythe over the one who won the Hart.
So J-S Giguere over Alex Ovechkin..

Hey, look at that! I can strawman your argument, too!

__________________
This content is hosted here with the objections of the poster.
coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:30 PM
  #31
Judge Sauer*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nunavut
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
hey I didn't say I wouldn't take Pronger. I said I'd take Nieds over him any day of the week. Wouldn't you?


And yeah, he is a dooche.... and Nieds is a class act.
Whether he is a ****** or not, he'd be more beneficial to the team.
Pronger physics all round on the Flyers and Bruins come playoff time. Our lack of 'grit' would be totally disspelled with Pronger on the team.
There's enough 'class' on this team and a lot of 'following the code', we need someone who'll play with more of an edge.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:31 PM
  #32
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
So J-S Giguere over Alex Ovechkin..

Hey, look at that! I can strawman your argument, too!
At least, I use logic.

We were talking about Pronger and Nieds. One won a Hart, the other a Smythe, by this I meant I would chose the playoff performer.

Your strawman argument is idiotic at best, as it compares two different players in two different roles.

Surely you wouldn't have asked me this :

Would you chose Giguere or Theodore?

because then you would still prove my point.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:31 PM
  #33
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Why on earth would either be available? Anaheim is in the middle of the pack, in a playoff position. Pronger's wife has already demonstrated she chooses where he plays, she'd never accept a trade to Montreal.

Niedermayer has all but said its his last year, then retirement.

Sounds like hogwash.
Fixed

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:32 PM
  #34
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
The truth of the matter is that neither player is the player they were 5 or even 2 or 3 years ago.
Pronger is a better fit, in that he has the skills the current Habs lack, but Niedermayer isn't anything to sniff at, either.

Frankly, I think there's a very, very small chance either ends up in Montreal.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:35 PM
  #35
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Try to move Hamrlik and his 11mil left on his contract with the recession...

Stop being a smartass and see that it would be extremely difficult to trade Hammer...
He still wouldn't be that hard to trade. There are some way more extreme cases than his. I just assumed that's what you meant by your comment. My bad.




Oh and Hothabsfan, why don't you try countering arguments instead of cheerleading, or are you still stuck on the fact that Julien and Ryder are buddies and Ryder plays with Savard???

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:41 PM
  #36
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Fixed
Very true, she hated Edmonton I doubt Montreal would excite her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
READ the link in the OP, this is from Murrays mouth directly !
See, I read it as the Pronger/Niedermayer were the author's speculation, not the GM. Interesting regardless, but neither will end up in Montreal.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
  #37
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
2 bad weeks and now Hammer is worth ****.

Typical.
No team would touch Hamrlik with his horrible contract, lets be serious.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:45 PM
  #38
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003
 
The n00b King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Nieder will not be moved, he dosent want to play anywhere else than in Anaheim.
Pronger is a head case, do you think he will want to play in another Canadian city after Edmonton?

I hear Sean Avery is available, lets start making some proposals...
well actually...there were two reasons why Pronger had to be moved from Edmonton:

1) His wife didnt want to live in "Siberia" so she'll probably not want to come live here either.

2) This part is considered slander by HF rules so i wont post it. But im sure if you looked hard enough, you'd find it.

Id take either of these guys, but id rather have Pronger because he brings that mean dirty edge that we lack.

We'd only get one or the other if they're UFA's. Then they wouldnt have to resign.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:46 PM
  #39
HotHabsFan*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bell Center Vagabond
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Very true, she hated Edmonton I doubt Montreal would excite her.



See, I read it as the Pronger/Niedermayer were the author's speculation, not the GM. Interesting regardless, but neither will end up in Montreal.
must have skipped this paragraph ?

Murray said. Otherwise, the Ducks would likely become "sellers," willing to part with any number of their playoff-hardened veterans.

"I would think anybody would be fair game," Murray said.

and i would consider Nieds and Pronger playoff-hardened veterans.

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:47 PM
  #40
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Ryder actually mostly plays with Krejci.
Yeah, plays with the potential calder winner, that puts such a dent into my argumentation.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:52 PM
  #41
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I really hate the guy but I would rather have Pronger
Same opinion as you...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:53 PM
  #42
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
must have skipped this paragraph ?

Murray said. Otherwise, the Ducks would likely become "sellers," willing to part with any number of their playoff-hardened veterans.

"I would think anybody would be fair game," Murray said.

and i would consider Nieds and Pronger playoff-hardened veterans.
Yeah, if the article doesn't have lots of pictures I tend to miss the facts sometimes

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:05 PM
  #43
David
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Sauer View Post
Whether he is a ****** or not, he'd be more beneficial to the team.
Pronger physics all round on the Flyers and Bruins come playoff time. Our lack of 'grit' would be totally disspelled with Pronger on the team.
There's enough 'class' on this team and a lot of 'following the code', we need someone who'll play with more of an edge.


You remember that press conference, eh?

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:10 PM
  #44
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
I'd take Pronger over Nied, but he would'nt solve our PP porblem. If you paired Pronger with Komo, no player in the league would dare enter our zone when those two are on the ice.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:11 PM
  #45
clarke19
Registered User
 
clarke19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 781
vCash: 500
Pronger would infact help the PP.

He plays everywhere and he has a great pointshot does he not?

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:11 PM
  #46
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg
 
Souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Creuset
Country: France
Posts: 3,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
No team would touch Hamrlik with his horrible contract, lets be serious.
I don't know about that. There probably are few teams that could pick him up right now without giving any salary back, but I don't think he's waiver wire material in terms of performance or utility. In any event, I'm perfectly happy with Hamrlik since he signed and wouldn't be looking to trade him.

He wouldn't have to be traded anyway, even if Pronger were to come here. There are a lot of detachable contracts this off-season and a lot of young players ready to replace them. Tanguay alone makes close to Pronger's salary, and he wouldn't be missed. Lang, Koivu, Kovalev -- none of them will get raises, at least from the Habs, and at least one of them probably won't be re-signed. Then there's Bouillon, Dandenault, and Begin who together make about what Komisarek would make on a new contract.

I think the salary aspect of it is do-able. I also think that Pronger would make an impact that few other players could make. He's the closest thing to Chara there is, and even better in some respects: offence, defence, special teams, intimidation, and lots of experience. To me, the only question is how much Anaheim would want. I would listen to an offer that included any young player or prospect apart from Pacioretty and Price.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:15 PM
  #47
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
No, you aren't. You're downplaying Pronger's Hart using Theodore as justification for how it's worthless. Well there are a bunch of equally downplaying winners of the Conn Smythe, which is what I was attempting to illustrate. It's a fallacy that Pronger isn't a dominant player in the postseason, as his Cup runs with Edmonton and Anaheim demonstrated.

You can prefer one or the other, but picking and choosing which trophies are worth something isn't "using logic," much less using a different player in a different role as justification for it (like Theodore) is. Picking and choosing data points to suit your argument doesn't prove anything.
LOL, get a grip, I wasn't trying to "prove" anything, nor downplay the hart trophy signification. Switch to decaf dude. I stated my opinion, I would rather go with the Smythe trophy winner Niedermayer than the Hart trophy winner Pronger. To me, Nieds is MORE of a proven winner in playoffs (which you go directly and put into my mouth that I've said Pronger isn't a playoff performer, which is NOT what I said). Nieds won 4 cups FCOL, Pronger won one. To me, Nieds is a sureshot to make us better for the playoffs, whereas, to me, Pronger has less chances of making us more dominant.

Now people here have a really big obsession with big bodies and grit, but if you,ve watched hockey long enough, you know a defenseman doesn't need to be big to be dominant. Past Norris winners have shown that. They were all smaller, but more talented. Lidstrom, Nieds, Bourque.

Its a matter of opinion, and whatever way you try to twist what I've said won't change the fact that I base my opinion on facts and not stupid comparisons that don't fit.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:16 PM
  #48
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
I love how in two weeks of poor defensive game overall for the team, Hamrlik's name is being thrown out of town by bandwagoners

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:18 PM
  #49
clarke19
Registered User
 
clarke19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
LOL, get a grip, I wasn't trying to "prove" anything, nor downplay the hart trophy signification. Switch to decaf dude. I stated my opinion, I would rather go with the Smythe trophy winner Niedermayer than the Hart trophy winner Pronger. To me, Nieds is MORE of a proven winner in playoffs (which you go directly and put into my mouth that I've said Pronger isn't a playoff performer, which is NOT what I said). Nieds won 4 cups FCOL, Pronger won one. To me, Nieds is a sureshot to make us better for the playoffs, whereas, to me, Pronger has less chances of making us more dominant.

Now people here have a really big obsession with big bodies and grit, but if you,ve watched hockey long enough, you know a defenseman doesn't need to be big to be dominant. Past Norris winners have shown that. They were all smaller, but more talented. Lidstrom, Nieds, Bourque.

Its a matter of opinion, and whatever way you try to twist what I've said won't change the fact that I base my opinion on facts and not stupid comparisons that don't fit.

Nieds adds to our already soft and skilled core. We need to diversify. A Pronger at the point may not be as talented, but he is what we need. A big point shot and a powerful presence in our own zone.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:20 PM
  #50
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
Nieds adds to our already soft and skilled core. We need to diversify. A Pronger at the point may not be as talented, but he is what we need. A big point shot and a powerful presence in our own zone.
Our need for that is more upfront than in the back.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.