HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chris Neil on the block?

Old
01-29-2009, 02:00 PM
detredWINgs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post

Kuba and Neil wont get you a 1st+good prospect. At least, not from Boston.
Okay, well then I guess Boston sets the tone for trade deadline value!

Just because Boston doesn't offer that up doesn't mean some other team won't. What did Keith freaking Tkachuk land a few years ago? Theres always a team willing to overpay, and there are always other teams who will sit around and laugh at those overpaying teams.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Neil and Kuba would be great additions to any playoff team but they're both UFAs. No chance they get a top-six roster player and one of the Habs' best prospects. A first and a lower-end prospect would be more reasonable I think.
An '09 first and PK or McDonaugh would get it done. You'd have to overpay to get something from an inner-division rival. We have enough Higgins' on the Sens already.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blades 0f Steel

According to nhlnumbers.com he's only making 1.2 mil this season. I thought he was getting more than that.

As for Neil on the Habs, no way. The Sens should have traded him after his pansification in 06. He's no playoff warrior.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Neil and Kuba would be great additions to any playoff team but they're both UFAs. No chance they get a top-six roster player and one of the Habs' best prospects. A first and a lower-end prospect would be more reasonable I think.
Adjustment
From Mtl.
1st pick
Y.Weber (thought about D.Fischer)

From Ott.
Kuba
Neil

I think Ottawa would push for Subban. He could sell them some merch.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Okay, well then I guess Boston sets the tone for trade deadline value!

Just because Boston doesn't offer that up doesn't mean some other team won't. What did Keith freaking Tkachuk land a few years ago? Theres always a team willing to overpay, and there are always other teams who will sit around and laugh at those overpaying teams.
Good for them... I guess. I was stating what my favorite team would and wouldn't do...

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Good for them... I guess. I was stating what my favorite team would and wouldn't do...
Actually, you were stating what you thought their value was then speculated what your team wasn't willing to give up.

Old
01-29-2009, 02:07 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
An '09 first and PK or McDonaugh would get it done. You'd have to overpay to get something from an inner-division rival. We have enough Higgins' on the Sens already.
I'm sure it would get it done, if the Sens were the ones naming the terms. I can't possibly imagine Gainey agreeing to it, however.

And trading to an division rival is irrelevant in this case because (a) both are UFAs and (b) it's not like Montreal and Ottawa are competing to a playoff spot. In fact, Montreal has a lot more to lose by trading their young players to a division rival who could actually come back to haunt them. If Neil and Kuba both sign somewhere else, Ottawa's washed their hands clean of the deal.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
Actually, you were stating what you thought their value was then speculated what your team wasn't willing to give up.
I know what I was doing... I was staing their worth to thr Bruins... What's you're point?

Old
01-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
I'm sure it would get it done, if the Sens were the ones naming the terms. I can't possibly imagine Gainey agreeing to it, however.

And trading to an division rival is irrelevant in this case because (a) both are UFAs and (b) it's not like Montreal and Ottawa are competing to a playoff spot. In fact, Montreal has a lot more to lose by trading their young players to a division rival who could actually come back to haunt them. If Neil and Kuba both sign somewhere else, Ottawa's washed their hands clean of the deal.
It's relevant that they'd be helping Montreal win and that's something rivals don't normally do.

I agree though that this would be difficult for Gainey to do as I'm sure he wants to hold on to the pick however if you want a better dman, you're looking at giving up more than that and you won't be getting a Chris Neil either. In terms of value, I think it's pretty close, though Hab fan would disagree as they seem to think most of their prospects are worth their weight in gold.

Old
01-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
I know what I was doing... I was staing their worth to thr Bruins... What's you're point?
You don't know what you're talking about.

Old
01-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
You don't know what you're talking about.
I do.... Clearly you don't.

I was stating what the Bruins would not give up, and for some reason you can't understand that.

Old
01-29-2009, 02:17 PM
grabo84

Quote:
I was stating what I think the Bruins would not give up, and for some reason you can't understand that.
Fixed it for you.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Fixed it for you.
The Bruins wouldn't touch that deal.... I think everyone knows that.

Old
01-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
I do.... Clearly you don't.

I was stating what the Bruins would not give up, and for some reason you can't understand that.
Oh, my bad. I didn't see the direct line to Peter Chiarelli beside you. I take it back.

Old
01-29-2009, 02:22 PM
grabo84

Quote:
The Bruins wouldn't touch that deal.... I think everyone knows that.
Nothing to do with the deal, just pointing out why they were arguing with you. I meant it in a good-natured way.

Old
01-29-2009, 02:23 PM
grabo84

Actually Kuba + Neil for a 1st and good prospect is fair. Maybe Boston doesn't need them, but the value is fair.

Old
01-29-2009, 02:26 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
Canes could be interested in Neil to be sure. They've needed a presence like him on their bottom six all season, especially with Walker dropping off in play. Not sure what they could offer up though, maybe a 3rd and a decent prospect like Terry. Not sure the Sens would take that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan83 View Post
Neil will get a 1st and a solid prospect at the deadline, and anyone who says otherwise is a blind Sens hater!
LOL?

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:29 PM
In The Flesh

to the Rangers, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan83 View Post
Neil will get a 1st and a solid prospect at the deadline, and anyone who says otherwise is a blind Sens hater!
nevermind

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Caniac12

Hurricanes are very interested. How about a prospect and a 4th?

Caniac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Caniac12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Canes could be interested in Neil to be sure. They've needed a presence like him on their bottom six all season, especially with Walker dropping off in play. Not sure what they could offer up though, maybe a 3rd and a decent prospect like Terry. Not sure the Sens would take that though.

LOL?
No way we offer a prospect as good as terry for a 4th liner.

Caniac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:53 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
It's relevant that they'd be helping Montreal win and that's something rivals don't normally do.

I agree though that this would be difficult for Gainey to do as I'm sure he wants to hold on to the pick however if you want a better dman, you're looking at giving up more than that and you won't be getting a Chris Neil either. In terms of value, I think it's pretty close, though Hab fan would disagree as they seem to think most of their prospects are worth their weight in gold.
Whether Neil and Kuba lead the Habs to a Cup or not is, at the end of the day, irrelevant to the Senators as a franchise. It may make some Sens fans bitter but that's not enough to make or break a trade, and not enough to warrant the Sens asking for anything more than they would from any other team in the league. The entire idea behind not trading within your division is that you're directly helping someone who you're competing with for a playoff spot. That becomes a moot point at the deadline if the Habs and the Sens are still at opposite ends of the standings. The Habs become no different to the Sens in terms of a potential trading partners than, say the Blackhawks. That's how I see it anyway.

Again, the reason why I think the Sens won't get that much from the Habs is because both Neil and Kuba are UFAs.
And your last comment is pretty worthless because I can just as easily say "every fan of a team in a position to sell seems to think most of their impending UFAs are worth their weight in gold".

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Captain_Cunney

The habs would be a perfect fit for Kuba/Neil, no doubt about it. However, I can't see us getting Higgins and PK out of the deal, pipe dream.

Subban is probably a target if the deal went down, mainly cuz the owner had a huge man crush on him, I'm not so sold on him.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 03:17 PM
The King of Town

Quote:
Again, the reason why I think the Sens won't get that much from the Habs is because both Neil and Kuba are UFAs.
You're right that in the Habs' case that's a tick against them, just due to the sheer number of pending UFAs they already have. However, for almost any other playoff-bound team in the league, their UFA status is a big plus. For that reason, I can't see either of them going to the Habs. They'll hold more value to a team that's up against the cap and can't afford to add contracts for next year.

I also agree that at this point, Murray should entertain trading Kuba anywhere, including within the division. What difference would it make for us? Neil, however, I would hope he'd send him out West, or at least to a team we're not going to meet again this season.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 03:22 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Actually Kuba + Neil for a 1st and good prospect is fair. Maybe Boston doesn't need them, but the value is fair.
Difficult to say, I'd say Neil is worth a good prospect. But Kuba a 1st? He's having a good year...but still. Although if Craig Rivet was worth one at the deadline, why not him?

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Biggzy*

I'd take Chris Neil on the Panthers. What would it take to get him? Realistically.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote