HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggest Dissapointment so far this year?

Old
01-29-2009, 07:16 PM
TheDrizzle81

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Im about tired of watching John Stevens hockey. Its too frustrating and inconsistent. Go back to the AHL where no one ****ing cares.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 07:29 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on why Coburn has seemed to be so lackluster this year? Could it have to do with his visor and what happened last year?
I was pondering the same thing the other day. I'd like to see him dropped to the third pairing for a while

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:35 PM
sharkeyanti

Quote:
Does anyone have an opinion on why Coburn has seemed to be so lackluster this year? Could it have to do with his visor and what happened last year?
His dip in form seems mostly about confidence, his conditioning appears fine. It's not like the system has changed at all so it wouldn't be a tactical issue. Maybe he bit on the amount of press coverage his breakout season got?

It seems like Stevens wanted him to use more of his offensive potential, but then the pairings got switched and Coburn had to adjust his game. I think the best way to sum up his season so far would be, "a little lost."

Pair him back up with Timonen already.

sharkeyanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:39 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

The Flyers are 4 points out of the division lead after a horrid start and having lost their highest paid player for most of their games.

No disappointments.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Teezax

My biggest disappointment is how many stupid penalties Hartnell has taken, that being said his offensive production balances it out.

Honorable mention goes to Berube.

Teezax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
My biggest disappointment is how many stupid penalties Hartnell has taken, that being said his offensive production balances it out.

Honorable mention goes to Berube.
I bet you'd never say that to Chief's face.

They make him out to be the hardest hard ass in all of hockey. I just don't see it as a coach.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:02 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

For me the disappointments have been in this order:
1. Coburn
2. Biron
3. Lupul

Stevens just always disappoints, but what can you do, he doesn't play the game, the players do.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah, I thought about including Lupul as well.

I think you and I will need to have some kind of death-match over Metro, I love the guy.
Why do you love him? I mean, I don't hate him, but I don't see what's to love. He really doesn't do anything special, he's downright terrible offensively for us, he doesn't have a personality or any toughness. I just don't see the point.

I don't cringe when he's on the ice like Jones, he's a competent NHL player. I guess I just don't understand why he needs to be on this roster.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Sanders418777

The past 2 games I'm seeing flashes of that decent Jones of last year...watch out!

Sanders418777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:44 PM
BrindamoursNose

Metro blows the big one this year

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 12:10 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

gonna say Coburn. doesnt he lead the league in hooking and holding infractions? dumb, lazy peanlties.

I'll add Hartnell as well. Yes he has 17 goals, but he needs to be more consistant.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:13 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

I'm also going to say Coburn. And it's doubly (can't mix heavy metal in that!) disappointing to me as I had his name and number put on my Flyers jersey right before the start of the season.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:17 AM
Miss Mess

That it still isn't possible to clone Timonen five times. Damn.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:21 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
That it still isn't possible to clone Timonen five times. Damn.
I told you I'm working on it!!! Cloning ain't easy.... just like pimpin'.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 03:06 AM
Synthetic

Send a message via AIM to Synthetic Send a message via MSN to Synthetic
Upshall.

He needs to slow the hell down. He's playing faster than he can keep up with and he loses the puck a lot because of it. Granted, he's not that big of a disappointment, but the way he plays kind of annoys me. He could do so much more if he gave himself enough time to realize it when he's got the puck. It he slowed it down just a smidge he could be a 20-25 goal guy.

I think that's maybe part of the reason Metro ain't doing much. Scottie just flies by him or tries to do too much himself without getting and using some more help from his linemates.

I'm not saying he's playing bad. I'm just saying I'm just disappointed he really hasn't progressed much. It really wouldn't take all that much for him to be a 50-60 pt guy if he tried becoming more of a passer than someone who just tries to outdeke everyone. Make a pass!

Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 05:56 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

The one disappointment that really sinks in is how quickly the franchise jettisoned Steve Eminger just as it looked like his game was finally coming around. I thought they gave up on him too quickly.

Another disappointment has been Glenn Metropolit. He's been badly outplayed by Darren Powe and did the Flyers really need to sign him? Was he that important that they'd spend a million bucks on him? He's brought nothing to the table and he's been a bust since signing here. Hopefully he gets waived or dealt for the ever popular 'Future Considerations' (re: cap space).

Finally, the last disappointment has been the health of Danny Briere and how the Flyers medical staff just manages to continue to bungle things with Briere. The Flyers are a world class franchise, but this medical staff is still mired in mediocrity at best. From the handling of Gagne's concussion last year to Briere's groin this year, they look terrible. It's time that Holmgren clean house in terms of the medical department and bring in an entirely new team. There's no way that if this were any other franchise that they'd allow this medical mediocrity to continue. This is an absolute farce that for the 2nd year in a row, the franchise has been without one of it's top players for most of the year.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:05 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Metro blows the big one this year
He has indeed.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:17 AM
BringBackStevens

Not as much improvement in terms of puck control and time of possession as i would have liked to seen

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:34 AM
BigBanger

Coburn is the new Chris Therrian, Big dude afraid of his own shadow, huge dissapointment considering they said he could hit.

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:39 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
Coburn is the new Chris Therrian, Big dude afraid of his own shadow, huge dissapointment considering they said he could hit.
i think coburns case is a struggle of the organisation. going into camp the flyers had jones as thier 2nd pairing puck carrying defenseman. so over the summer im assuming coburns training was emphasizing breakouts and transition. turns out through the season wed add carle and sbisa so that wouldnt be as much as an issue and the fact that he had his best games paired with kimo (an offensive defenseman) he should have been developing his defensive strengths. so now hes trying to pick up a defensive savvy on the fly without a solid veteran defensive presence to bring him along like hatch did last year. you could see hatch talking through breaks and coaching from the bench and i think he misses that presence. hes still yoiung and developing so your gonna have setbacks. hes still playing well for a 2nd pairing guy just not the first pairing future star type year he had last year. that potential hasnt goe anywhere and there will still be time to turn it around.

i still cant believe homer turned freddy fricken meyer into coburn talk about leveraging assets. hes should keep that ski mask as a souveneir

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:55 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 247
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
For me its Coburn. Theres a big drop off from last year till now.

Biron has always been inconsistent. Since he's been here he has been consistently inconsistent. Jones has always sucked. Metro was never supposed to be that good and Lupul was disappointing earlier in the season, but hes back to normal.

The injurys have been disappointing too.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:25 AM
IrishSniper87

Coburn is dissapointing, however, PUT HIM WITH TIMONEN ALREADY!! **** YOU STEVENS.

Coburn-Timonen
Carle-Vaananen
Jones-Sbisa

is it sooooo hard to figure this out????

Another disappointment is Holmgrem not having dumped Jones already. Ugh.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:30 AM
BigBanger

I need to add stevens to list, how this team is so undisciplined and fact they don't know how to play in their own zone is painful to watch. Not one defenseman plays with any type of snarl , all to passive.This team scares no one in our zone.

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 08:41 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Stevens. Still seeing the same old crap that we did 3 years ago when he took over. Poor in their own end, no urgency, more unprepared to play than prepared, no structure, no creativity. Goaltending is nto disappointing. It has and always will be average.
I agree 100%.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 11:50 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Stevens. Still seeing the same old crap that we did 3 years ago when he took over. Poor in their own end, no urgency, more unprepared to play than prepared, no structure, no creativity. Goaltending is nto disappointing. It has and always will be average.
Agreed

Quote:
Biron was well above average all of last year (including regular season) and had 3 straight above-average seasons with the Sabres, he's certainly in the top-15 of netminders in the NHL which makes his inconsistency this year that much more disappointing.

I still think he'll get it together though.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I would say these + Metropolit's useless carcass, Stevens because nothing has changed, and an underwhelming year from Lupul so far.
Agreed. I cant add much more to the above. Coburn mostly for me but not cause I think he has been terrible (although he hasnt been great) but because I just had such high expectations of him this year.

Quote:
Yeah, I thought about including Lupul as well.

I think you and I will need to have some kind of death-match over Metro, I love the guy.
See below:

Quote:
Who knows!! It could just be the dreaded sophomore jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Why do you love him? I mean, I don't hate him, but I don't see what's to love. He really doesn't do anything special, he's downright terrible offensively for us, he doesn't have a personality or any toughness. I just don't see the point.

I don't cringe when he's on the ice like Jones, he's a competent NHL player. I guess I just don't understand why he needs to be on this roster.
Here is what I think about Metro, it depends on your expecation.

If you a) expected him to come in here and be a good 3rd line center, enabling Briere to move to the wing, then he is a HUGE disappointment.

If you b) expected him to be a 4th line center, not hurt you when you are on the ice but not necessarily do too much for you, than he has been fine.

I am of the latter. I didnt care for the signing when it happened, but he doesnt hurt the team. Although to be honest, I rather have $400k to spend elsewhere...

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote