HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Flex Questions

Old
11-07-2008, 10:56 AM
stick9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerB View Post
You can try these guys Oggie. They have flex built into the grips to help your shot. I use them and I definitely feel like my shot is better. The straight ones are kind of ridiculous though, because if you don't like a bigger knob then you can't use it.
The down side is you have to cut your stick way down to use one. If you don't like it, your pooched.

They flex better than wooden end plugs...I saw the test video. However, I wonder if they flex better than just a shaft with no wooden end plug. I imagine the shaft would be better since there is no connection point.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I used an Oggie for a while and it does add flex. The piece inside is smaller and more flexible than a composite shaft, so it adds flex on top. Likewise, adding wood will stiffen up a shaft.

Sometimes I like to chop down the tenon of a plug from the 3" or so down to 1.5" so it's a little less stiff. But my main preference is just to have a shaft that is the right length from the start.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:27 AM
UserName

6' 155 soaking wet, bauer p92 (naslund blade), 77 flex.

i have a warrior 85 (lidstrom) flex that i prefer when i play d

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Devil Dancer

A related question (and an excuse to bump an excellent older thread):

Can anyone point me toward a cheap low flex (~75) senior one piece composite? I'd like to experiment by cutting down a lower flex stick, and I'd like to get a cheap one so I don't care too much if I don't like it.

Alternatively, a cheap intermediate I can experiment with would be good, too. I'm 5'7.

Last edited by Devil Dancer: 12-13-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 12:43 AM
iceman_88888888

nbh's all come in a 75 to a 102 flex from their 195s down to their comp sticks. the same goes for the tps sticks from stiff to whip flex.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2008, 11:57 AM
tamtamg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
A related question (and an excuse to bump an excellent older thread):

Can anyone point me toward a cheap low flex (~75) senior one piece composite? I'd like to experiment by cutting down a lower flex stick, and I'd like to get a cheap one so I don't care too much if I don't like it.

Alternatively, a cheap intermediate I can experiment with would be good, too. I'm 5'7.
Like all things in hockey, picking a stick all comes down to personal preference. I'm your same height, but probably not the same weight (180lbs). Personally, I like cutting my sticks so they're right underneath my nose. This makes 77 flex rated sticks ~92 flex and 85 flex rated sticks about ~105. Generally speaking, you want to a stick with a flex about half your weight, however I like using the 85 flex sticks.

Next thing to figure out is whether you want a stick with a high kick point or low kick point. High kick point sticks, like NBH supreme series, are best for slappers. Low kick point sricks, like NBH Vapor series, are good for snappers and wrist shots. But again, these are general guidelines. It's down to personal preference.

As for curves. heel for slappers. mid for wristers/snappers. toe for wristers, snapers, and for danglin. Again personal preference.

As for cheap sticks. Go to www.rollerhockey.com and use alloff30 to get 30% off most of their sticks/inventory.

tamtamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Devil Dancer

Thanks tamtamg. I'm good with my blade knowledge, but the rest was very helpful. After taking it all into consideration I ordered my first intermediate stick, some cheap Nike Bauer Apollo thing with a 67 flex that I can screw around with.

If that's too whippy for me I'll pick up a 75 flex adult stick and start experimenting with cutting them down.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Vaheh

Send a message via MSN to Vaheh
So me being 5'8" and 150 lbs would find it really difficult to get a good slapshot/wristshot with a cut down 85 flex?
Is it that big a problem that I should consider getting a different stick?

Vaheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:43 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
I'm 6'4", 225 and I use a 110 flex, and it's pretty stiff for me (I really need to lean in for my wristshots). I would recommend lower flex if you're anywhere in the 5'10 - 6'2" range.. like 100 flex max.
Yeah I'm 6'0", 200 and a 100 flex with my Easton Synergy (Sakic curve) is really good for my game. I'm definitely a "pass-first" type, so I only shoot when I'm really in the clear and have the time to lean heavily into my shots. I like the Sakic curve because you don't have to get a whole lot behind it to be able to go up high from just about anywhere on the ice - if you're putting in the right amount of strength, it's not hard to have that puck jump off the stick.

It takes about the same effort to flex it as a wood does, but it flexes a lot more once it does get going. If you get behind that baby you're really adding some speed and weight to the shot.

Last edited by FutureConsiderations: 01-29-2009 at 10:51 PM.
FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 07:47 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheh View Post
So me being 5'8" and 150 lbs would find it really difficult to get a good slapshot/wristshot with a cut down 85 flex?
We're close to the same size and I use 70 flex. I'd find some sticks to be too stiff once I cut them down. I have an 87 flex Vapor xxx-lite shaft that isn't too bad, but I'd rather use the Easton 70 flex.

I'd say try one out. I knew the 70 was perfect after just a few shots.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheh View Post
That's one of those things you have to find out for yourself. How much are you thinking of cutting? Just an inch or a lot more?

Personally think flex and lie are the more important aspect of a stick.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 06:52 PM
Vaheh

Send a message via MSN to Vaheh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan It Up View Post
That's one of those things you have to find out for yourself. How much are you thinking of cutting? Just an inch or a lot more?

Personally think flex and lie are the more important aspect of a stick.
I've cut around 3 inches.Thing is I bought it over the internet(no stores here) so I couldn't really test it out and I didn't much about flexes.

Vaheh is offline   Reply With Quote