HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would your Habs 'shakeup' be?

Old
01-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Everyone knows my move. Fire Carbonneau.
That will only happen if Gainey is also fired,and if he doesn't do anything in the next couple of weeks and I mean something big,I might join the hate Gainey bandwagon

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:52 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Well done,exactly Gainey won't do ****,probably send a player or two down to Hamilton but that's about it
You honestly think Gainey isn't trying? Who would want anyone from our team? The only players that are appealing to other teams are Price, Komi, Markov. Gainey is trying his best, and at the moment his Team isn't playing well which makes dealing even more difficult.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

No shakeup. Play the kids, let them learn and prepare yourself for a busy summer. The Centennial CANNOT BE a reason why we should just overpayed for a player or 2 who will suppose to come here and play the saviours while there's more problems than just adding 1 or 2 players.....

You can't build a team with a plan for so many years and then just destroy it 'cause you have to panic 'cause of that freakin centennial 'cause you HAVE to win.

Gainey needs to be accountable here. You go in a year like that with 12ish guys with no contract the year after.....things like that will happen. Teams might not want to give you as much for your guys 'cause they're going UFA and so on.

Gainey was counting on that fact so all the guys would give them all in order to have a big contract starting next year........well most of them don't. He was counting on the kids of last year having better years this year......well some of them don't. So then it comes a time when you have to acknowledge that not a lot can be done. Who has a need for a Plekanec right now or a Higgins?

The only way you'll see a possible shakeup on that team is if you trade guys that could be tradeable like the Kostitsyns, Price or Markov. Other than that, the shakeup will not produce anything you're hoping for.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:01 AM
gillyguzzler

After a game like yesterday, I'm sure Gainey and Carbo feel like sitting or trading just about everyone.

Sitting players...

Who's Carbo going to sit? For the forwards, some don't deserve to be sat (The Lapierre line) while others, fair or not, will not be sat (Koivu, Kovy, Lang). So there remains the Kost brothers, Plek, MaxPac and D'Ago, Bégin and Higgins. Sergei is an easy target and Andrei has been horrible for the past few games. I'm not sure a benching will jump start them. MaxPac, D'Ago and Bégin are easy targets but aren't gamebreakers. Higgins has struggled but will not get better without playing. Plek played ok yesterday and I really wonder how he'd react to a two or three game benching.

For the Ds, it's a little easier because so many have been horrible. Gorges has been horrible. Bouillon has been horrible. Hammer has been horrible. Brisebois is old and broken. There is no toughness on the blue line. Even Komi was playing like a girl yesterday. O'Byrne at least has the potential to play tough. Never mind Weber, a softie, call up someone like Henry to rock and roll a bit, someone with heart.

Trades...

How badly in value have players like Plek, Higgins, Halak, the brothers and O'Byrne slipped this year? They are our trade commodities and they're playing like crap... It seems our biggest trade assets are in junior or the NCAA. Why would Florida want Plek and company when they're really not playing well at all? Why would Tampa trade their star for our throw aways. I love Andrei K. when he's on his game but man has he sucked lately. What's his trade value? Or his brother's? O'Byrne? He's sitting and a 38 year old broken defenseman is higher on the depth chart... not much value there!

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:07 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
4- Get a Canadian foward. (Nothing against Europeans and Quebeckers, but we need that kind of Iginla,Doan guy leadership.)
I think what you mean is we need more forwards who aren't pansies.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
I think what you mean is we need more forwards who aren't pansies.
LOL, exactly.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Riverboat Gambler

We could also use a fight...

Our next game is at home, somebody better throw down in the first period. The proverbial this complacency ends now message. We've been folding way to early after a little adversity.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Most posters believe that the Habs need some sort of shakeup to light a fire in this underachieving Habs team. What should the shakeup be? There's no way Gainey fires Carbo.

I'm thinking a possible shakeup move could be to trade Kovy (maybe for a defenceman). I know Kovy's our most talented forward and a true gamebreaker but his effort isn't always consistent, he can be frustrating to watch and coach, he doesn't always use his head, he takes some selfish penalties, and I question whether he makes his linemates better. I also think we have enough leadership to fill his void. If he is traded, it should be to a Western Conference team (Kovy to Minny for Zidlicky?) so that we don't run into an inspired Kovy in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

I love watching Kovy and he certainly has top drawer talent. However, I honestly don't think the team will be any worse without him, and I think his subtraction might make us more of a TEAM.

Any other ideas for a 'shakeup'?
We are one of the top teams in the East and he is our best forward(has been the last 2 years), are you tired of being in the playoffs?

Your panic level is way too low to be an NHL GM. If you make a big trade every time your team hits a slup after awhile your team looks like the Islanders because you'll be getting fleeced.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:21 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
We could also use a fight...

Our next game is at home, somebody better throw down in the first period. The proverbial this complacency ends now message. We've been folding way to early after a little adversity.
Yeah, I was looking for some reaction when they were down 5-1...but it was pathetic, the Panthers continued to skate circles around them.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolfdog View Post
The habs should trade for Kaberle, it will definitely help their team. Something like Higgins, 1st and McDonaugh. Or maybe 2 out of those 3 and add a lesser piece (even though their 1st will be pretty low).

What's that? Oh you have to be a Hab fan to post in this thread? Oh, yeah, I knew that I was just ... just passing through the neighbourhood ... and *covers Leaf jersey with sweater* yeah alright I'll be seeing you later then.
Fantasize much?

Higgins is worth Kaberle straight up...and you want a top prospect PLUS a 1st?

Old
01-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Yeah, I was looking for some reaction when they were down 5-1...but it was pathetic, the Panthers continued to skate circles around them.
Agreed...

Habs fought to get back in the game due to effort and then quit when the Panthers got the 3-1 goal. It was way to early for that and showed we're not ready for the post-all star sprint to the end of the season.

The time for a response was then, but the team went all complacent and took the foot off the gas.

My only gripe with Carbo is his beeking at the officials. It shows that he blames the refs for his misfotuane but refs can't score goals. The team needs to role with the punches.

Old
01-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Florida is a perfect example of why Carbo's style doesn't match our team's skills.

The Habs play a boring and defensive read and react style instead of pressuring the puck in all 3 zones like Florida does. The Habs sit back and let the play come to them, as a result they are always on their heels and not creating turnovers in the offensive zone.

Old
01-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Agreed...

Habs fought to get back in the game due to effort and then quit when the Panthers got the 3-1 goal. It was way to early for that and showed we're not ready for the post-all star sprint to the end of the season.

The time for a response was then, but the team went all complacent and took the foot off the gas.

My only gripe with Carbo is his beeking at the officials. It shows that he blames the refs for his misfotuane but refs can't score goals. The team needs to role with the punches.
Refs score goals when one team has 4 PP's to the other team's zero. Florida got away with 4-5 trips, hooks and holds before the Habs got their 1st PP. Refs had a big hand in giving Florida a 2-0 lead.

The Habs didn't quit after it got 3 to 1, they had a ton of chances but could not finish, we outshot them in the 2nd and 3rd. We got caught pinching a few times in the 3rd, you have no choice at that point.

Old
01-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Anyway, what's important is that Brisebois gets his $100,000 bonus when he'll reach his 1000th game.

Thing is they should also read the fine print where it says that every bonus will be cut in half if they don't make the playoffs....

Old
01-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
You honestly think Gainey isn't trying? Who would want anyone from our team? The only players that are appealing to other teams are Price, Komi, Markov. Gainey is trying his best, and at the moment his Team isn't playing well which makes dealing even more difficult.
Making a trade is not the answer to getting out of a slump. Yeah we need another puck moving d-man, but the price has to be right.

Old
01-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Refs score goals when one team has 4 PP's to the other team's zero. Florida got away with 4-5 trips, hooks and holds before the Habs got their 1st PP. Refs had a big hand in giving Florida a 2-0 lead.
We may have outshot them but we didn't outplay them and guys like Bouwmeester, Booth, and Horton were obvioulsy out-competing our players.

I was pissed about it too, but I'm not the coach. The coach is the leader on the team and I think that's bad leadership/sportsmanship. The example is set and the team has a ready-made excuse. The coach blames the refs, what can we do against the refs- to hell with the refs, play the game and don't be distracted/intimidated. It's 60 minutes long and the object is to put the puck in the net.

That's Gainey's calling card (cool hand), Carbo is emotional and at certain times it can be beneficial (when it's pointed in the right direction, aggression at another team), that's my gripe with him. He can not give the players a convenient excuse (the refs).

Old
01-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Stone Cutter

This team is playing like they are waiting for something to happen (i.e. a trade).

Stone Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I was pissed about it too, but I'm not the coach. The coach is the leader on the team and I think that's bad leadership/sportsmanship. The example is set and the team has a ready-made excuse. The coach blames the refs, what can we do against the refs- to hell with the refs, play the game and don't be distracted/intimidated. It's 60 minutes long and the object is to put the puck in the net.

That's Gainey's calling card, Carbo is emotional and at certain times it can be beneficial (when it's pointed in the right direction, aggression at another team), that's my gripe with him. He can not give the players a convenient excuse (the refs).
I'd rather have a coach that blasts refs when they screw us over than just stand there and look stunned. Carbo blasting them helped get us a 5 on 3 and sort of get us back in the game...but at this level it's hard to come back from 2-0 all the time.

Old
01-30-2009, 09:52 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Florida is a perfect example of why Carbo's style doesn't match our team's skills.

The Habs play a boring and defensive read and react style instead of pressuring the puck in all 3 zones like Florida does. The Habs sit back and let the play come to them, as a result they are always on their heels and not creating turnovers in the offensive zone.
Actually the Habs don't play a passive defensive game, but teams like Florida might give us an indication of what our team would be worth in the playoffs. There are simply too much of our players that might not have what it takes to be effective against a hard working tight, checking team (every team in the playoffs).

We don't have enough players that can win a puck battle, take a hit to make a play, etc.

Anyway, the main problem with that current slump, aside from everyone not playing well, is the lack of help the forwards give to our D. Our defense is lost, but everytime they try to get the puck out of the zone, the fowards a waiting for a pass on the other team's blueline.

We'll get out of this slump in no time, the I fear we have a bigger problem than that. We need more Pacciorettys, who won't be affected be tighter checking, and less Kostitsyns/Plekanecs.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:53 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
After a game like yesterday, I'm sure Gainey and Carbo feel like sitting or trading just about everyone.

Sitting players...

Who's Carbo going to sit? For the forwards, some don't deserve to be sat (The Lapierre line) while others, fair or not, will not be sat (Koivu, Kovy, Lang). So there remains the Kost brothers, Plek, MaxPac and D'Ago, Bégin and Higgins. Sergei is an easy target and Andrei has been horrible for the past few games. I'm not sure a benching will jump start them. MaxPac, D'Ago and Bégin are easy targets but aren't gamebreakers. Higgins has struggled but will not get better without playing. Plek played ok yesterday and I really wonder how he'd react to a two or three game benching.

For the Ds, it's a little easier because so many have been horrible. Gorges has been horrible. Bouillon has been horrible. Hammer has been horrible. Brisebois is old and broken. There is no toughness on the blue line. Even Komi was playing like a girl yesterday. O'Byrne at least has the potential to play tough. Never mind Weber, a softie, call up someone like Henry to rock and roll a bit, someone with heart.

Trades...

How badly in value have players like Plek, Higgins, Halak, the brothers and O'Byrne slipped this year? They are our trade commodities and they're playing like crap... It seems our biggest trade assets are in junior or the NCAA. Why would Florida want Plek and company when they're really not playing well at all? Why would Tampa trade their star for our throw aways. I love Andrei K. when he's on his game but man has he sucked lately. What's his trade value? Or his brother's? O'Byrne? He's sitting and a 38 year old broken defenseman is higher on the depth chart... not much value there!
Gainey does that every year...sit tight and not take any chances...and it ends in an early playoff exit, or no playoffs like '07.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:54 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Everyone knows my move. Fire Carbonneau.
I think it's getting clear that the problem is not the coach.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:57 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Maybe if one or two players were being lazy. But the entire team? Clearly they are not responding to him.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Quite the opposite...I think the coach is a big part of it. He's trying to coach a skilled team to play like a defensive trapping team instead of using their strengths.

Old
01-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Gainey does that every year...sit tight and not take any chances...and it ends in an early playoff exit, or no playoffs like '07.
Still there are chances to take that are worthy and others that are not. If he's smart, he'd recognized that we're not 1 player away from the silver trophy. If so, he's not going to overpay to get him. Taking chances doesn't mean being stupid.

Having said that, a GM is paid to get things done. Everybody knows it takes 2 to tango and that's it not easy in a cap world and so on.....but he's still paid to succeed and get things done. Chiarelli got things done. Other GM's have as well.

Gainey has to be recognize for having turn this franchise to pathetic to good. Then, it's another thing to go from good to great and it remains to be seen if he can do that.

Old
01-30-2009, 10:03 AM
TheCH*

Play the brothers with Koivu, and not just for a shift or 2. Give it a month and see if it works out..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote