HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pit-Edm-Bos

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2009, 02:25 AM
  #1
FrankGrimes
Registered User
 
FrankGrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver-ish
Country: Canada
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Pit-Edm-Bos

OK so let me preface this by saying that yes I am an Oiler fan and I'm not a big fan of proposals but I'm super sick and have nothing better to do, so here we go...

First:
To Pittsburgh: Erik Cole, Robert Nilsson / Marc Pouliot (Pitts Choice)

To Edmonton: Ryan Whitney, Miro Satan

I know Cole is slumping this year, but IMO he is a more talented and faster version of Colby Armstrong, is an excellent team guy and could mesh very well with Crosby. Perhaps also include a conditional '10 pick should Cole not re-sign this summer, as Pittsburgh may be weary of UFAs after Hossa.

Before anyone says Nilsson has no trade value, neither does Satan and this element is just included as a bit of a salary dump to benefit Pittsburgh. I also think each player would benefit from the move, since Nilsson has all-world talent that could shine next to Crosby, and has shown some measure of chemistry with Cole. If not interested, take Pouliot instead, who is developing solidly this year and shone with Crosby in junior.

Satan, despite all his faults, can still shoot and that is something that the Oilers need badly, while he also trades the spotlight of being Crosby's failed sidekick for the fishbowl spotlight of playing in Edmonton, which he has experienced before.

Then:
To Boston: Ryan Whitney or Tom Gilbert (Boston's choice), 1st rounder '09, Rob Schremp
To Edmonton: Milan Lucic, 3rd rounder '09


I know Lucic is seen by many as the face of the franchise moving forward, but frankly I think this trade makes Boston a better team and a cup win this year or next would create a more lasting legacy than Lucic ever could by himself. The Oiler fan in me would hope that Boston would take Whitney in this trade but I'm sure they would request Gilbert seeing as how he is nearly as good offensively and more responsible defensively for the same cap hit. The fact that Whitney is a hometown boy may come into play though.

The loss of Looch would hurt, but I also believe that Boston will get Tkachuk this year and the projected position of Edm's 1st gives them a good shot to pick up Zach Kassian, who could potentially help fill that role soon enough. Like Nilsson, Schremp has no real trade value, but he still has potential and I'd bet he would be more likely to realize it in a city nearer his hometown, with a franchise who's rabid fanbase never expected him to be a superstar. Like in Edm, however, his style might clash poorly with Julien's coaching.

For Edm, this trade fills another need of a balls-to-the-wall power forward who hits, scores and who will be able to grow with the team, while the 3rd is basically a lottery ticket.

Essentially these trades are Whitney/Gilbert + '09 1st for Lucic and Cole for Whitney with whatever fleshing out is needed.

Now excuse me while I get the firehose ready...

FrankGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 03:01 AM
  #2
Andrew B
Registered User
 
Andrew B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Albert
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,372
vCash: 500
Satan is cancer.

Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 03:38 AM
  #3
GoGoCrazy
Registered User
 
GoGoCrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
imo, pittsburgh and edmonton get the shaft as boston takes their riches and run. lucic isnt worth whitney and a mid level 1st, which is what boston is getting for him basically. and pittsburgh would never (i hope) trade whitney and his great contract for anything but a young (under 26) winger with at least 2 years after this one left on his contract and is already a legitimate top 6 forward. Think Horton range...

GoGoCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 04:30 AM
  #4
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,815
vCash: 675
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Whitney isn't getting moved for any ufa let alone Eric freakin Cole

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 06:23 AM
  #5
kmillzy5
Registered User
 
kmillzy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: hmmm
Country: United States
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Whitney isn't getting moved for any ufa let alone Eric freakin Cole
seriously! this proposal is WEAK.

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 06:59 AM
  #6
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,592
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankGrimes View Post
OK so let me preface this by saying that yes I am an Oiler fan and I'm not a big fan of proposals but I'm super sick and have nothing better to do, so here we go...

First:
To Pittsburgh: Erik Cole, Robert Nilsson / Marc Pouliot (Pitts Choice)

To Edmonton: Ryan Whitney, Miro Satan

I know Cole is slumping this year, but IMO he is a more talented and faster version of Colby Armstrong, is an excellent team guy and could mesh very well with Crosby. Perhaps also include a conditional '10 pick should Cole not re-sign this summer, as Pittsburgh may be weary of UFAs after Hossa.

Before anyone says Nilsson has no trade value, neither does Satan and this element is just included as a bit of a salary dump to benefit Pittsburgh. I also think each player would benefit from the move, since Nilsson has all-world talent that could shine next to Crosby, and has shown some measure of chemistry with Cole. If not interested, take Pouliot instead, who is developing solidly this year and shone with Crosby in junior.

Satan, despite all his faults, can still shoot and that is something that the Oilers need badly, while he also trades the spotlight of being Crosby's failed sidekick for the fishbowl spotlight of playing in Edmonton, which he has experienced before.

Then:
To Boston: Ryan Whitney or Tom Gilbert (Boston's choice), 1st rounder '09, Rob Schremp
To Edmonton: Milan Lucic, 3rd rounder '09


I know Lucic is seen by many as the face of the franchise moving forward, but frankly I think this trade makes Boston a better team and a cup win this year or next would create a more lasting legacy than Lucic ever could by himself. The Oiler fan in me would hope that Boston would take Whitney in this trade but I'm sure they would request Gilbert seeing as how he is nearly as good offensively and more responsible defensively for the same cap hit. The fact that Whitney is a hometown boy may come into play though.

The loss of Looch would hurt, but I also believe that Boston will get Tkachuk this year and the projected position of Edm's 1st gives them a good shot to pick up Zach Kassian, who could potentially help fill that role soon enough. Like Nilsson, Schremp has no real trade value, but he still has potential and I'd bet he would be more likely to realize it in a city nearer his hometown, with a franchise who's rabid fanbase never expected him to be a superstar. Like in Edm, however, his style might clash poorly with Julien's coaching.

For Edm, this trade fills another need of a balls-to-the-wall power forward who hits, scores and who will be able to grow with the team, while the 3rd is basically a lottery ticket.

Essentially these trades are Whitney/Gilbert + '09 1st for Lucic and Cole for Whitney with whatever fleshing out is needed.

Now excuse me while I get the firehose ready...
If we're keeping Gilbert I'm ok with this.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 07:05 AM
  #7
kmillzy5
Registered User
 
kmillzy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: hmmm
Country: United States
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
If we're keeping Gilbert I'm ok with this.
HAHA! funny man! Pittsburgh gets robbed!

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 07:32 AM
  #8
8BostonRocker24
Registered User
 
8BostonRocker24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Gatos via Boston
Country: China
Posts: 9,069
vCash: 500
Boston fans might not like giving up Lucic, but that is a steal for them.

8BostonRocker24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 07:33 AM
  #9
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,093
vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno12 View Post
HAHA! funny man! Pittsburgh gets robbed!
Pittsburg??? Hell, the Oilers give up Gilbert, Nilsson, Cole, Schremp and a 1st and get a replacement in Whitney (???I'll keep Gilbert, thanks) and Lucic??? Can't count Satan. Don't want another soft, weak player. A big pass from the Oil end..That's too funny..

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 07:35 AM
  #10
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,971
vCash: 500
So Edmonton and Pittsburgh are finding every way possible to not only make Boston significantly better, but dramatically over pay for Milan Lucic? Wow, that's really not good at all.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:36 AM
  #11
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 20,274
vCash: 500
I d give you Satan for that package and Whitney's jock.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:44 AM
  #12
kmillzy5
Registered User
 
kmillzy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: hmmm
Country: United States
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So Edmonton and Pittsburgh are finding every way possible to not only make Boston significantly better, but dramatically over pay for Milan Lucic? Wow, that's really not good at all.
preach it.

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:48 AM
  #13
embracedbias
Registered User
 
embracedbias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,910
vCash: 500
Total overpayment for Lucic... but Boston fans still won't go for it because of the Lucic love. Perhaps your goal was to pose a dilemma for Boston fans?

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:00 AM
  #14
cashman rules*
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Timmins ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
No from the bruins,looch for life.

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:04 AM
  #15
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 26,897
vCash: 500
If we could negotiate with Cole immediately, I would definitely consider this move from the Pens perspective. I doubt the Bruins want any part of dealing Lucic.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:07 AM
  #16
WreckItRask
Registered User
 
WreckItRask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Boston fans might not like giving up Lucic, but that is a steal for them.
Was thinking the same thing. I do it in a heartbeat with the cap issues coming up.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:27 AM
  #17
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs
 
Bruinsfan_37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,896
vCash: 500
Lucic isn't going anywhere..

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 12:43 PM
  #18
21Bruins1Cup
 
21Bruins1Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
"To Boston: Ryan Whitney or Tom Gilbert (Boston's choice), 1st rounder '09, Rob Schremp"

Boston isn't getting enough in this trade for Chia to pull the trigger on this offer, maybe add another 1st or top pairing D-man?...

21Bruins1Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 12:50 PM
  #19
21Bruins1Cup
 
21Bruins1Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Quote:
Lucic isn't going anywhere..

This.....

21Bruins1Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:13 PM
  #20
Nikita Filatov*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,301
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Boston can't do it... Although I'd love to work out a smaller deal with Schremp.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:15 PM
  #21
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 14,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
If we could negotiate with Cole immediately, I would definitely consider this move from the Pens perspective. I doubt the Bruins want any part of dealing Lucic.
Why trade a good young puck mover for a UFA just so they can try to sign him sooner? IF they want his rights early they can get them for a mid to late pick after the season ends.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:34 PM
  #22
Joey Moss
Proud to select...
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,175
vCash: 226
wow.. massive overpayment for Lucic. The Oilers get murdered in both trades.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:47 PM
  #23
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen
 
Pelican Peach Pen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LA & GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,613
vCash: 500
Knowing that you might send Whitney back to the East is MORE than enough reason to say HELL NO!

I like Cole and wouldn't mind a deal for him, but definitely not this one or anyone that would eventually help Boston.

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 02:20 PM
  #24
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,232
vCash: 500
Pens take their ball and go home.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 02:35 PM
  #25
vcx*
 
vcx*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Penguins Fan
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,783
vCash: 500
Whitney is worth more than a UFA and a struggling player and prospect. Pass from the Pens. While on a bad foot he put up 40pts, he is starting to look good again with finding his "game legs" from a long layoff and surgery.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.