HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Interesting tidbit about Gomez

Old
01-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Is the bandwagon unloading after another invisible, turnover ridden game from Gomez last night?
Not me.

But you're probably right. I suspect they'll be a lot of broken ankles and wounded knees, on this bandwagon evacuation.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
Not me.

But you're probably right. I suspect they'll be a lot of broken ankles and wounded knees, on this bandwagon evacuation.
I agree, everyone should mind the GAP when getting off the Drury and Gomez bandwagons.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:58 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
At least he's committed and cares, which is different from other high priced UFA signings the Rangers have seen in years past. I also think he has been better since the break. It'll be interesting to see how teams react if he keeps producing more. If Gomez starts seeing more of top defensive lines, you may see Zherdev having more opportunities. Should be interesting to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I agree, everyone should mind the GAP when getting off the Drury and Gomez bandwagons.
I'm staying on this train, until better players arrive/develop, there are no others to ride in Ranger town.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:31 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainscott View Post
with the devils he always seemed to play better after all star break, don't know why.
i still say he is soft and won't get dirty in front. how many hits has he thrown this season? 2...im serious.
68 hits in 126 games as a Ranger. Not physical numbers, but not TWO.

...and 9 hits in last seasons playoffs (10 games)

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:52 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
At least he's committed and cares, which is different from other high priced UFA signings the Rangers have seen in years past. I also think he has been better since the break. It'll be interesting to see how teams react if he keeps producing more. If Gomez starts seeing more of top defensive lines, you may see Zherdev having more opportunities. Should be interesting to see.

I'm staying on this train, until better players arrive/develop, there are no others to ride in Ranger town.
The funny thing is that Gomez got another point last night.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 01:58 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
The funny thing is that Gomez got another point last night.
His terrible pass to Kalinin led to a Penguins goal, too, and he and Redden (more Redden than Gomez) combined to make the terrible turnover that led to that Penguins power play that turned into a 5 on 3 that turned into a goal.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 02:17 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
His terrible pass to Kalinin led to a Penguins goal, too, and he and Redden (more Redden than Gomez) combined to make the terrible turnover that led to that Penguins power play that turned into a 5 on 3 that turned into a goal.
The team gave up 5 goals in the third - you'd be hard pressed to find a player that you can't say bad things about.

Besides, the point of my poist was only to say that he continued his increased scoring pace in the last game, not to say that he played well. Hell, the worst player on the ice was our superstar, Lundqvist...

Old
01-29-2009, 02:50 PM
gravytrain6t

I think It's time too look around and see what else we have besides Gomez to blame. I'm not going to blame Gomez or Zherdev for our offensive woes. But I expected more and I hope to see more out of the call up's from Hartford.

In the beginning of the season it really looked like we found a good one two punch with Dubinsky and Voros. Well that fell apart. We keep giving Prucha chances but he has a lot of work to do to be considered a sniper. Ditto with Dawes. He and Prucha have combined for 11 goals. Korpikoski, our first round draft choice rookie from Finland has netted 3 goals.

And Callahan who I like and plays well in all facets of the game, still, has only tallied 12 goals.

Basically, I was hoping one or two guys from Hartford would step up and have scored at least between 15 and 20 goals at this point in the season.

I know I make a lot of comparisons and this comparison is between Gomez and Stockton who used to play point guard for Utah. He would pass and Malone would score. We have a Stockton. We need a Malone.

But I think we should mix it up again with the lines. Nothing drastic. But I like Sjostrom's speed and his ability to make things happen around the net and he can handle the puck and fore check. So I was thinking about surrounding Drury with more speed. The only thing this calls for, is a call up from Hartford. So my suggestion is to go back to the playstation line. Like this:
Lw C Rw
Voros Dubinsky Zherdev
Naslund Gomez Callahan
Korpikoski Drury Sjostrom
? (not Prucha) Betts Orr

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 03:49 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I know I make a lot of comparisons and this comparison is between Gomez and Stockton who used to play point guard for Utah. He would pass and Malone would score. We have a Stockton. We need a Malone.
Stockton is one of the 3 or 4 greatest players at his position, ever. He is one of the greatest point guards of all-time.

Not an effective example.

Old
01-29-2009, 06:58 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Stockton is one of the 3 or 4 greatest players at his position, ever. He is one of the greatest point guards of all-time.

Not an effective example.
Well, aliright but we don't have Gretzky, Lemieux , Messier and Dionne for example right now. I'm not too NBA savvy. I mean you say it's not an effective example Sting, come on? You know what I meant here. I'm not comparing Stockton to Gomez and who is better in their respective sports. I think you knew that. I'm just trying to do my best to compare the situation. Basically saying we need a scorer. A sniper. Some one too finish.

Old
01-30-2009, 10:11 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Quote:
I think It's time too look around and see what else we have besides Gomez to blame. I'm not going to blame Gomez or Zherdev for our offensive woes. But I expected more and I hope to see more out of the call up's from Hartford.

In the beginning of the season it really looked like we found a good one two punch with Dubinsky and Voros. Well that fell apart. We keep giving Prucha chances but he has a lot of work to do to be considered a sniper. Ditto with Dawes. He and Prucha have combined for 11 goals. Korpikoski, our first round draft choice rookie from Finland has netted 3 goals.

And Callahan who I like and plays well in all facets of the game, still, has only tallied 12 goals.

Basically, I was hoping one or two guys from Hartford would step up and have scored at least between 15 and 20 goals at this point in the season.

But I think we should mix it up again with the lines. Nothing drastic. But I like Sjostrom's speed and his ability to make things happen around the net and he can handle the puck and fore check. So I was thinking about surrounding Drury with more speed. The only thing this calls for, is a call up from Hartford. So my suggestion is to go back to the playstation line. Like this:
Lw C Rw
Voros Dubinsky Zherdev
Naslund Gomez Callahan
Korpikoski Drury Sjostrom
? (not Prucha) Betts Orr

PRu can play better but needs to be on the LW. Renney insists on playing him on the right.

Voros is garbage and should not even be on the roster. YEah he brings grit, once he shows up to where the puck is, almost worse of a skater than Dave Andreychuck was.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 10:48 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLikesHockey View Post
PRu can play better but needs to be on the LW. Renney insists on playing him on the right.

Voros is garbage and should not even be on the roster. YEah he brings grit, once he shows up to where the puck is, almost worse of a skater than Dave Andreychuck was.
Another one of my frustrations with TR.

Old
01-30-2009, 09:31 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLikesHockey View Post

Yea but as bad as a skater Andreychuk was, he did score 640 goals during his career. I would take a guy on the Rangers who can score that many life time career goals.
But yes, I agree that Voros is no where as good a skater as Prucha. At the same time, Voros will never be a Dave Andreychuk either.
I know exactly why you want Prucha on the LW and maybe it would work. I'm not necessarily for Voros over Prucha. But I think TR is. And if Voros is going to be in the lineup, I would put him where he's had the most success, which was playing with Dubinsky and Zherdev.

Old
01-30-2009, 10:11 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Yea but as bad as a skater Andreychuk was, he did score 640 goals during his career. I would take a guy on the Rangers who can score that many life time career goals.
But yes, I agree that Voros is no where as good a skater as Prucha. At the same time, Voros will never be a Dave Andreychuk either.
I know exactly why you want Prucha on the LW and maybe it would work. I'm not necessarily for Voros over Prucha. But I think TR is. And if Voros is going to be in the lineup, I would put him where he's had the most success, which was playing with Dubinsky and Zherdev.
Isn't it a little bit more important that Zherdev and Dubinsky see success than it is for Voros to see success? Don't you think the two of them would benefit playing with a better player than Aaron Voros? Zherdev and Dubinsky should be playing with either Korpikoski or Prucha. Or Naslund, if he isn't playing with Gomez.