HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valiquette Appreciation Thread

Old
01-28-2009, 08:07 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Valiquette Appreciation Thread

This guy is all you could ask for in a back-up goaltender and then some. I'm very surprised he didn't establish himself in the NHL sooner considering his work ethic and professionalism. He's a valuable asset. Great teammate too and listening to him talk, he's got great knowledge of the game. He's very attentive of where the team is, if you saw the other night he was interviewed and he knew exactly where the team was in the standings. We can only hope he sticks around after this season..

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 08:10 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
This guy is all you could ask for in a back-up goaltender and then some. I'm very surprised he didn't establish himself in the NHL sooner considering his work ethic and professionalism. He's a valuable asset. Great teammate too and listening to him talk, he's got great knowledge of the game. He's very attentive of where the team is, if you saw the other night he was interviewed and he knew exactly where the team was in the standings. We can only hope he sticks around after this season..
I love Vally too. Only problem is he might be a starting goalie next year for another team!

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:03 PM
RangerFan10

yeah, if he can play this way in more games I don't see why he wouldn't be a starter. I mean if he can come out focused and play at this level when he sits for so long between games, why wouldn't he play this well otherwise?

Old
01-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I love Vally too. Only problem is he might be a starting goalie next year for another team!
I'm feeling pretty safe.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:20 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I'm feeling pretty safe.
Agreed. How many teams are there out there that would be better off with Valiquette as a starting goalie? And how many would offer a stable job? I'm guessing he would rather play with a team he loves, a goalie coach that made him an NHL goalie, and a contender than be a plug on a crappy team for a year then float around with no permanent place.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:24 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I'm feeling pretty safe.
Same. Vally will still be with us. Seems liek the guy that doesnt mind the backup job...he loves this team..(judging by interviews only of course).

If GOD FORBID...Hank went down with an injury...I wouldnt mind Vally playing a month as the starter...

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 09:35 PM
NYRSchrute217

Vally will stick around. He's not good enough to be a starting goalie. I guarantee he wouldn't be consistent over 65 or so games...his current role is perfect for him and the Rangers.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 10:09 PM
SouvenirCity

If your a team in the 09-10 season, who would you rather have as your starting goalie:

Steve Valiquette or Scot Clemmensen

Personally I choose Valiquette, but that may be a decision for an LA or WSH or COL

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Vally will stick around. He's not good enough to be a starting goalie. I guarantee he wouldn't be consistent over 65 or so games...his current role is perfect for him and the Rangers.
What makes you so certain that you'd guarantee it?

If I am Vally, I would take my shot at it next year. If he succeeds at being even an average, run-of-the-mill starter, his salary will triple.

If he fails, he can always go back to being a backup. I am sure he can find a permanent job as a backup somewhere.

So if I were his agent, I would look hard for any team willing to give him a shot as a starter. Won't be easy backstopping some crappy team, but it's worth a shot. If he waits another year or two, he might be too old.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:09 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
He absolutely has the talent to start in the NHL.

He obviously plays a lot less games, but both his GAA and SVP for last year as well as this year are better than Lundqvists. And some might say playing less is a handicap for a goalie since he has to come in "cold" and be in game shape.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:14 AM
RangerFan10

I think if he can be consistently good in limited starts then if he's playing more often it becomes easier to stay focused and keep your level of play up, that's just me though.

Old
01-29-2009, 12:16 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvenirCity View Post
If your a team in the 09-10 season, who would you rather have as your starting goalie:

Steve Valiquette or Scot Clemmensen

Personally I choose Valiquette, but that may be a decision for an LA or WSH or COL
Washington has some young goalies in the AHL that may be ready by next season...they also probably have Theodore for more than just this year.

LA's got Ernsberg now, he seems to be the starter of the future. They finally ditched Lababera because of this guy.

Colorado..maybe. Are Vali and Scotty really the best two FA goalies next off-season though??

I think Vali(and Clemmenson) could probably be starters but I don't know that there will be a demand for them.

Old
01-29-2009, 08:52 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

After last night I'm starting Vally against Boston.....

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:00 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
After last night I'm starting Vally against Boston.....
You don't bench your franchise player because he had a bad night.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

I don't know how Valiquette does it.... He looks awful in net, has terrible technique and positioning, can't control a rebound to save his life, yet when he plays his numbers are not bad. Mind boggling, but hey, whatever works right? I mean you don't have to make it look pretty...
honestly though, I think that if he were to be a regular starter in the NHL for a stretch of time, his weaknesses would really be exposed.

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Fletch

Ben Gomez...

I don't put a lot into the stats when comparing a backup to the starter. There's a difference when you play 80% of the games compared to 20% of the games. While fewer games can make a bad game stand out in terms of stats, more games opens you up to be exposed more on a long run. The Rangers would not be where they are today if Lundqvist didn't open the season the way he did. For nearly two months he was flat-out spectcular, which has enabled this team to suffer through his mediocrity while remaining near the top of the division.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
come out and meet him tonight
774 main street Hackensack NJ

Tell him you love him lol

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 10:52 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
I don't know how Valiquette does it.... He looks awful in net, has terrible technique and positioning, can't control a rebound to save his life, yet when he plays his numbers are not bad. Mind boggling, but hey, whatever works right? I mean you don't have to make it look pretty...
honestly though, I think that if he were to be a regular starter in the NHL for a stretch of time, his weaknesses would really be exposed.
I really disagree about your assessment of all his mechanics..I don't think he looks awful in net, his positioning is fine and being 6'6" sure helps matters. His rebound control is suspect in a sense that he doesn't usually send it into the corners, but I've also noticed he manages to hold onto the puck more than most goalies too.

Old
01-29-2009, 11:39 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
There's a difference when you play 80% of the games compared to 20% of the games. While fewer games can make a bad game stand out in terms of stats, more games opens you up to be exposed more on a long run. The Rangers would not be where they are today if Lundqvist didn't open the season the way he did.
There's no way to tell.

IMO, Valiquette has NEVER been given a proper chance in the NHL and it's not an uncommon tale...... it's a numbers game as there are only 30 spots to fill.

The most games he's ever played was 15 and that was just last year at the age of 30 (he put up 2.16 GAA with .916 SVP, both better than Lundqvist).

And you cant make the argument that it was because he sucked in the AHL, because his stats in the minors are actually very good. The fact is there are 360 starting forward spots, 180 starting defense spots, and only 30 keeper spots. Guys slip though the cracks.

Clemmer is another great example. He's 31 years old and this is his first legitimate crack at the NHL and he's put up a 2.25 GAA with a .923 SVP in 31 games.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I really disagree about your assessment of all his mechanics..I don't think he looks awful in net, his positioning is fine and being 6'6" sure helps matters. His rebound control is suspect in a sense that he doesn't usually send it into the corners, but I've also noticed he manages to hold onto the puck more than most goalies too.
Hey, I like the guy, and he's been getting the job done. Can't argue with that. Some guys just make it look easy, others make it look difficult. I'd put vally in the latter category.

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 02:30 PM
RangerFan10

I'm not saying you disliked him, just disagreeing with your assesment. But I would agree that he doesn't exactly make it look easy, but sometimes there's more to something like that than just mechanics and positioning...his stature doesn't match his style. He's a hybrid style goalie but he leans towards being a butterfly. At 6'6" it's not gonna be pretty looking but it gets the job done.