HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs drinking game!

Old
01-31-2009, 12:04 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
As I'm sure you've seen me post lost in the GDT about this, but anytime you hear "bon fait-le" (To an English speaker, the phrase sounds like, bon, fee-lay) If I even put it right, drink. I know I hear that all the time.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 01:24 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
^ i always hear "tir de ro-vehr", and it sounds like a possible french pronunciation of "Robert", so I always think they think Robert Lang is shooting even when he's not. needless to say I smile when it's actually Lang shooting and they say that

ps. what are they actually saying?

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 01:40 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
^ i always hear "tir de ro-vehr", and it sounds like a possible french pronunciation of "Robert", so I always think they think Robert Lang is shooting even when he's not. needless to say I smile when it's actually Lang shooting and they say that

Its actually "tir du revers" which mean a backhand shot.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 01:58 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
thank you! i've picked up about 80% of what the play-by-play guys say on RDS since I ordered it a year ago, so its always nice to fill in the gaps

its funny, I don't understand what half of the words mean but now I can understand (pretty much) exactly what they are referring to, even when i'm not looking at whats going on on the screen. languages are funny like that

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 08:19 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Drink half a pint of beer every time A.Kost tries 'that' move in the shootout.

Finish your drink every time Mike Komisarek tries carrying the puck up ice and skating round an opponent in the neutral zone.

Start a new drink and finish that one if/when he loses the puck on the above mentioned play.

Down a shot every time one of our Dmen has to backcheck during an odd man rush.

Be kind to yourself, get yourself to hospital when you see Kovalev gain the offensive zone and then pass the puck to a wide open AK46. Yes, this is a drinking game, but I figure people should do something special to mark the occasion.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 08:21 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
If you wanna die from alcohol poisoning just take a shot everytime Brisebois turns it over.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 10:49 AM
xduckiex

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefortwentyfive View Post
Haha are you guys trying to kill me?????
Cause if I follow these rules I'll surely have alcohol poisoning by the first commerical break.
Fixed

xduckiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post

Haha when i was young at the rink i would always say "Tir du Robert" wich made sens since our diccionaries were also named Robert, i thought it was a word that meant many things.

He's actualy saying "Tir du revers" back end or back hand, i dont know how to say it in english.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 11:07 AM
HotPie

Talk about negative nannies.

Yay let's all wallow in negativity.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan88 View Post
You'll be puking after the first period
lol..that was my first thought. I don't think I'd make the half way mark of the 1st period.

01-31-2009, 11:19 AM
Habs

- Take a shot of tequila everytime the defense dumps the puck into the corner instead of shooting at the net from the blueline.

- Take 2 shots every time SK makes a "scary face" at the opposition.
- Take 1 shot every time #51 gets beat down low
- Take 3 shots every time you see Carbonneau throw his hands in the air in disbelief.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 11:21 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

lol..you guys are just mean. This game could be Epic.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 11:23 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Talk about negative nannies.

Yay let's all wallow in negativity.
This is actually a pretty funny thread.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 12:27 PM
habtastic

I'm planning to watch on CBC (just for the HD) so I guess the Brunet rules are omitted for me. Guess it's only fair I add two to make up:

- Take a shot any time a weak SOG attempt hits the opp. fwd on squarely on the shin pad leading to a 2 on 1 if not a breakaway
-Chug for 5 seconds when Lang (rather than Carbo) is genuinely smiling (not sarcastically) as if he had dropped some E (perhaps the reason for the missed open net) even though we are 3 goals down and when he is tapping the other team's players (espescially goalie) on the back for doing such a great job at anticipating his obvious passes

In reference to the above posts about a tir du revert, anybody notice lately that they have been franglacising (and maybe this is a legit french word, but I had not heard it before):
"Et c'etait vraiment un BOUL-LAIT!"

ie. referring to a hard shot, or a bullet.

Also I much prefer watching the Habs commentary in French. Tir et le but (when we score mind you) is the best phrase in sports. Damn you Rogers, damn you.

Last edited by habtastic: 01-31-2009 at 12:32 PM.
habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 12:39 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
As I'm sure you've seen me post lost in the GDT about this, but anytime you hear "bon fait-le" (To an English speaker, the phrase sounds like, bon, fee-lay) If I even put it right, drink. I know I hear that all the time.
I'm confused. You mean bon fillet (as you suggested in your english phonetic translation? Or that they are saying it wrong, as in "bon fait-le"?

Ironic, cuz I'd love after their typical post-game reaction where they say how they're gonna turn it around to say to them

Bon, faites-le alors!

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I'm confused. You mean bon fillet (as you suggested in your english phonetic translation? Or that they are saying it wrong, as in "bon fait-le"?

Ironic, cuz I'd love after their typical post-game reaction where they say how they're gonna turn it around to say to them

Bon, faites-le alors!
I asked one friend, they said the way I spell it phonetically is fait-le, which is like "do it". Then I hear the same with bon infront of it, pretty much all the time. Like, a shot is blocked, then they go "Tir bloqué, bon fee-lay).

I'll see if I can get a better example from today's game.

Example: Derniere (fee-lay)

Last edited by Analyzer: 01-31-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 03:32 PM
SilverSurfer

i think the word you are looking for is "FILET"
which means the net

derriere le filet, behind the net (or goal)

SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I'm planning to watch on CBC (just for the HD) so I guess the Brunet rules are omitted for me. Guess it's only fair I add two to make up:

- Take a shot any time a weak SOG attempt hits the opp. fwd on squarely on the shin pad leading to a 2 on 1 if not a breakaway
-Chug for 5 seconds when Lang (rather than Carbo) is genuinely smiling (not sarcastically) as if he had dropped some E (perhaps the reason for the missed open net) even though we are 3 goals down and when he is tapping the other team's players (espescially goalie) on the back for doing such a great job at anticipating his obvious passes

In reference to the above posts about a tir du revert, anybody notice lately that they have been franglacising (and maybe this is a legit french word, but I had not heard it before):
"Et c'etait vraiment un BOUL-LAIT!"

ie. referring to a hard shot, or a bullet.

Also I much prefer watching the Habs commentary in French. Tir et le but (when we score mind you) is the best phrase in sports. Damn you Rogers, damn you.

the legit french word boulet refers to a cannonball

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote