HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFC 94 - GSP vs Penn 2 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2009, 02:39 PM
  #26
Squeaky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
GSP is far from being as renowned as them for the better P4P fighter.
Only new MMA fans would argue that he is.

As of today, even BJ Penn is a better p4p fighter, he's held belts in 2 different weight class. GSP has one successful Championship Defense, he still has a lot to prove before being considered the best P4P.

Fedor and Silva, have had their rise to the Championship, and been easily defending their respective titles time and time again.
Many of the rankings put GSP above Penn and Fedor right now, though I figure Fedor probably gets less credit than he deserves, because of where he fights. I think it's about as unanimous as it can get that Silva is the P4P #1 right now.

Anyway, Penn and GSP are both so highly ranked that the difference is close to nil. This should be a great fight between what are probably 2 of the top 5 P4P guys in the world right now.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 02:52 PM
  #27
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
I know he's been critisized for conditioning but he said himself after the Hughes fight that he rarely trained and realized that he was wasting his God given talent. Training was an issue. He didn't train which is why he ran out of gas it's the same thing. Your point about not walking around at 170 doesn't make sense. If the weight cut to 170 was the reason why conditioning was a factor, why isn't it a factor at 155? Oh, that's right he started training and focused in on cardio. Training was always the issue with BJ and he's admitted it a bunch of times.

PS: I know about the fued. Ever since he's come back has he not got what he wanted? I mean he came back and got a shot for #1 contender spot right away when Fitch has been relegated to the undercards for merely having contract issues.
First off, you don't have to be a genius to realize cutting weight influences your conditioning. If you train or know anything about it, you should know this.

That being said, I never said it was the main reason, I said it is A reason.

Also, As a LW, he never went further than the 3rd round so it's kind of tough to see how good a condition he's in when in doesn't go too far. No matter how bad his training is, it's not Shogun bad, more so like Liddell bad.

In the Hughes fight he broke a rib, which is why you saw him do nothing after the 2nd round and was easily stopped.
I'm not saying he was training well, like you said, he admitted it multiple times. But bad training, big weight cuts, and an injury will make you look like crap.

But as was said, this is before, maybe he changed his regiment, maybe he walks around at 160-170 now, I don't know.


Penn came back and fought GSP, that fight was to determine the #1 contender. BJ Penn left when he was the Champ, it's not like Fitch was ranker higher, he was just starting and fighting on Fight Nights.
BJ lost, GSP got it but injured himself, therefore Penn got the title shot and lost. He then moved down to LW, where he had to fight Pulver and Stevenson to make his way up.
I don't see what special treatment he had.

Jon Fitch's only considerable win was to Diego Sanchez a year after Penn had already made his comeback. It's not like Fitch deserved a title shot before Penn. He was way too green, and personally I felt he still shouldn't have had it vs GSP. Another fight or 2 vs top end guys would have made him more solid, and then he'd have been ready.
I don't really know about the details of the contract issues you're talking about, but when you're an up and comer, you don't have much leverage over your contracts

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:00 PM
  #28
Shadyone33
Registered User
 
Shadyone33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
First off, you don't have to be a genius to realize cutting weight influences your conditioning. If you train or know anything about it, you should know this.

That being said, I never said it was the main reason, I said it is A reason.

Also, As a LW, he never went further than the 3rd round so it's kind of tough to see how good a condition he's in when in doesn't go too far. No matter how bad his training is, it's not Shogun bad, more so like Liddell bad.

In the Hughes fight he broke a rib, which is why you saw him do nothing after the 2nd round and was easily stopped.
I'm not saying he was training well, like you said, he admitted it multiple times. But bad training, big weight cuts, and an injury will make you look like crap.

But as was said, this is before, maybe he changed his regiment, maybe he walks around at 160-170 now, I don't know.


Penn came back and fought GSP, that fight was to determine the #1 contender. BJ Penn left when he was the Champ, it's not like Fitch was ranker higher, he was just starting and fighting on Fight Nights.
BJ lost, GSP got it but injured himself, therefore Penn got the title shot and lost. He then moved down to LW, where he had to fight Pulver and Stevenson to make his way up.
I don't see what special treatment he had.

Jon Fitch's only considerable win was to Diego Sanchez a year after Penn had already made his comeback. It's not like Fitch deserved a title shot before Penn. He was way too green, and personally I felt he still shouldn't have had it vs GSP. Another fight or 2 vs top end guys would have made him more solid, and then he'd have been ready.
I don't really know about the details of the contract issues you're talking about, but when you're an up and comer, you don't have much leverage over your contracts
I won't even bother because apparently you know it all. No need to insult or get personal though.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 03:42 PM
  #29
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
I won't even bother because apparently you know it all. No need to insult or get personal though.
This board gets personal pretty fast lately. I think a lot of AOL users came over once their free trial ran out.

Your brother in Christ,
Habs

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2009, 05:41 PM
  #30
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
I won't even bother because apparently you know it all. No need to insult or get personal though.
Didn't figure I insulted you..just talking..

About the weight cutting thing, it's just true...if you do work out/train, you should be able to realize cutting weight drastically is not good for your conditioning..
Sorry if you felt it was a personal thing..wasn't meant to be..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Many of the rankings put GSP above Penn and Fedor right now, though I figure Fedor probably gets less credit than he deserves, because of where he fights. I think it's about as unanimous as it can get that Silva is the P4P #1 right now.

Anyway, Penn and GSP are both so highly ranked that the difference is close to nil. This should be a great fight between what are probably 2 of the top 5 P4P guys in the world right now.
Fedor and Silva are the top 2, for obvious reasons.

GSP is will be up there if he successfully defends his belt vs Penn.
I think you have to hold a long reign before claiming to be part of the best P4P.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-28-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:26 PM
  #31
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,346
vCash: 500
"GSP IS A QUITTER!"
/

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 09:09 AM
  #32
Shadyone33
Registered User
 
Shadyone33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
I can't wait to see the weigh ins. Anyone else interested to see what Penn is going to look like? I expect the same soft middle.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 10:17 AM
  #33
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
I can't wait to see the weigh ins. Anyone else interested to see what Penn is going to look like? I expect the same soft middle.
I'm not sure, but after seeing the picture in the quote above yours. I'm expecting him to look like Shrek.

__________________
Don Cherry is right...you don't poke the bear..you walk right up to it and punch it in the mouth. - Grant McCagg
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:30 AM
  #34
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
I can't wait to see the weigh ins. Anyone else interested to see what Penn is going to look like? I expect the same soft middle.
He looked chubby in Primetime #3, and all that angry talk just make him look like a *****.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:35 PM
  #35
Shadyone33
Registered User
 
Shadyone33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
He looked chubby in Primetime #3, and all that angry talk just make him look like a *****.
Yeah, he does look a little chubby...but I wonder what weight he'll come in at. I heard early on he was saying he was going to come in at 165. He did a lot of talk and he's going to have to eat some crow after the fight.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:20 PM
  #36
Gustave
Registered User
 
Gustave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Here
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 2,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Jon Fitch's only considerable win was to Diego Sanchez a year after Penn had already made his comeback.
Thiago Alves? He's pretty damn good.

I'm not sure BJ beats Fitch. Fitch is a cardio freak. Maybe the hardest worker in the cage, like Forrest.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 08:29 PM
  #37
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Thiago Alves? He's pretty damn good.

I'm not sure BJ beats Fitch. Fitch is a cardio freak. Maybe the hardest worker in the cage, like Forrest.
Alves wasn't even close to being the fighter he is today when he lost to Fitch. He's greatly improved.

Of course BJ gets by Fitch, cardio isn't everything.

Don't discredit BJ, yes his conditioning has been known to be weak, but he's still LW Champ and already was the WW one.

Fitch shouldn't even have had a shot at the title IMO, he wasn't ready.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 01:46 AM
  #38
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,975
vCash: 500

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 03:17 AM
  #39
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,444
vCash: 500
I hope gsp finishes him in the same fashion as penn/hughes 2

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 09:07 AM
  #40
Habsfan18
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,320
vCash: 500
Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn (this could go either way imo...)
Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva
Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim
Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida
Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones

Jon Fitch vs. Akihiro Gono
Manny Gamburyan vs. Thiago Tavares
John Howard vs. Chris Wilson
Jake O'Brien vs. Christian Wellisch
Matt Arroyo vs. Dan Cramer

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 10:41 AM
  #41
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn (this could go either way imo...)
Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva
Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim
Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida
Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones

Jon Fitch vs. Akihiro Gono
Manny Gamburyan vs. Thiago Tavares
John Howard vs. Chris Wilson
Jake O'Brien vs. Christian Wellisch
Matt Arroyo vs. Dan Cramer
This could be Karo's last kick at the can, I'll cheer for him regardless. I'm also rooting for Guida, Bonnar and Fitch and Machida.

Take away the main event, and I still like this card

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 11:24 AM
  #42
The Expert
Registered Expert
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Jersey
Posts: 11,218
vCash: 500
BJ is so damn cocky and arrogant, it pisses me off. Especially after the way he acted after losing to GSP last time. You didn't win BJ, and after seeing the video of the Penn brothers making excuses on Sherdog, I hate him even more. One of the few mixed martial artists I really don't like.

Here's hoping for a GSP win. I see it going to decision, with GSP winning unanimously.

Really hope they show Fitch-Gono, why the hell is this on the undercard? I'd love to have that on the main over Karo *** Parisyan.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 11:36 AM
  #43
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
BJ is so damn cocky and arrogant, it pisses me off. Especially after the way he acted after losing to GSP last time. You didn't win BJ, and after seeing the video of the Penn brothers making excuses on Sherdog, I hate him even more. One of the few mixed martial artists I really don't like.

Here's hoping for a GSP win. I see it going to decision, with GSP winning unanimously.

Really hope they show Fitch-Gono, why the hell is this on the undercard? I'd love to have that on the main over Karo *** Parisyan.
Fitch is not televised, and has been confirmed. Too bad, I'd rather wach him than Karo as well, or Manny Gamburyan..lol

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 12:28 PM
  #44
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,444
vCash: 500
Anybody see the 3 primetime videos on the UFC website? Great vids, great way to promote the fight.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 01:10 PM
  #45
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Anybody see the 3 primetime videos on the UFC website? Great vids, great way to promote the fight.
yes, that was awesome....

lots of trash talk from BJ, might bite him in the behind.
cant wait

GO GSP!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 01:26 PM
  #46
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,582
vCash: 500
i hope theres a place online i can watch it

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 01:28 PM
  #47
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
i hope theres a place online i can watch it
justin.tv will definatly have it.

Im going to cage aux sports

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 01:57 PM
  #48
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
yes, that was awesome....

lots of trash talk from BJ, might bite him in the behind.
cant wait

GO GSP!
Thats crazy how GSP was training with guys like Marquardt, Evans and Jardine. I like Jardine's comment that GSP is stronger then most guys in the weight class above him

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 02:38 PM
  #49
Excel
 
Excel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
i hope theres a place online i can watch it
http://channelsurfing.net/

That website usually has numerous links for their ppv's.

Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 02:45 PM
  #50
NeverGoingToWin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,648
vCash: 500
This is a huge card so the UFC will probably try hard to shut down a lot of links.

NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.