HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Captain Koivu & Captain Kovalev...who's the the real leader?

Old
01-31-2009, 08:47 AM
airlouche

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
We need a leader who will step up and kick some ass in the locker room. Don't think either of them can do it.
I totally agree with you, this is what we lack, guys with more character, who will throw and break stick in the locker room!

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 08:49 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Who's a leader?
Is it a guy that can't play with specific players?
Is it a guy who floats more often than not?
Is it a guy who tries to do it all himself?

No, and that's Kovalev.

Put anyone with Koivu and they are instantly better. Put anyone with Kovalev and they are instantly worse.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 08:54 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlouche View Post
I totally agree with you, this is what we lack, guys with more character, who will throw and break stick in the locker room!

this must be a language thing because there is no way hell you could know whats going on in the locker room !!!!

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 09:59 AM
smon

Quote:
I think Kovalev is the real captain and he deserve the C on his jersey. Koivu was the captain for the past 9 years and we never play on a conference championship. If we want to make it to the final round or win the cup...well we must try something new and give the C to Kovalev right now, not next year, NOW. If Koivu dont want to play anymore with the Canadiens, well trade him for a pick. I have nothing against Koivu, he's a good player, a courageous and generous man...but to win the cup you need more thant that. You need a guy like Kovy to lead this team, you need someone more imposing than Koivu, not only a silent leader...

How have you ever seen Kovalev chewing out anyone? No. The Canadiens would be laughed out of the league if they handed a sulking floater like Kovalev the captaincy. He's not exactly Mark Messier.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
I think Kovalev is the real captain and he deserve the C on his jersey. Koivu was the captain for the past 9 years and we never play on a conference championship. If we want to make it to the final round or win the cup...well we must try something new and give the C to Kovalev right now, not next year, NOW. If Koivu dont want to play anymore with the Canadiens, well trade him for a pick. I have nothing against Koivu, he's a good player, a courageous and generous man...but to win the cup you need more thant that. You need a guy like Kovy to lead this team, you need someone more imposing than Koivu, not only a silent leader...
Yes. We need the biggest sulker on the team when things are going rough to be the Captain. You are ASSUMING Kovalev is a vocal leader.

The reason Montreal succeed the last while was because others stepped up their game like Gorges and the rookies implemented do to injuries played above their heads for the first 10 games. However things were crashing back to earth even before Koivu's and Higgins return. Kovalev wasn't much better than he was before the injuries. A few more pucks entered the net but last bit of the winning streak well before Koivu's return you could see problems entering the games.

Koivu has endured a career of crap hab teams. If you are basing his leadership off of team success then really need help.

What this team lacks in leadership it lacks in warriors who will go to battle. A team that has players that lack passion, heart, grit, character is always going to have leadership issues and in Montreal that means singling out the Captain. Its been this way for years now.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post

How have you ever seen Kovalev chewing out anyone? No. The Canadiens would be laughed out of the league if they handed a sulking floater like Kovalev the captaincy. He's not exactly Mark Messier.
You know whats funny is Mark Messier was probably the worst Captain in Canucks history yet is considered one of the greatest ever.

It is interesting how "great leaders" always seem to have great teams around them and what we often consider dynasty teams which makes you ask, is he a great leader/captain or just a leader or captain on a great team.We will end my participation in this age old thread.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs1993 View Post
Since Koivu has come back from his injury....we have been badly beaten.....Why?

Is there a leadership issue?....
Captain Koivu or Captain Kovalev?...who's the real leader?....
who ever is the leader they're not doing a very good job leading our young team...

I think we don't really have a clear cut captain who can put fire under our team and that is the real problem....

Maybe there is a power struggle between Koivu & Kovalev?....they both want to be captains and leaders....so who is the real voice in the dressing room for the young guys?

I think we are missing a leading voice...

If we had a clear cut leader who all our players respected and followed we would not be playing with such lack of character and determination to win. We would be alot more consistant every game.

Gainey and Carb need to quickly evaluate our teams leadership and captaincy and make the necessary moves to address the issue.

What do you guys think?....Do we have a leadership issue?.....Do me have strong leadership?.....Do we have a number 1 leader that is respected and can lead this team during highs and lows?

Is there a team chemistry issue?....
No team has ONE leader...it's always a group of leaders. Winning teams have a group of 5-6 quality leaders.

I don't think we are lacking desire to win, cripes we beat just about everybody while missing 4-5 top players. The problem right now is players are not following the system(and don't believe in it?) and trying to doo too much individually.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
The C goes to players who work their butts off night in, night out.

/discussions.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 12:35 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
The C goes to players who work their butts off night in, night out.

/discussions.
Bégin with the C
Lapierre and Kostopoulos with the A

/discussions.

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Kafka

If a "C" is given to a player for his leadership, then Koivu is our captain. If the "C" is given to someone who likes to think he is the most talented player on the team, then Kovalev deserves the title.

After four consecutive losts, leaders show up right away. Let's watch the game to show who provides energy to the game: those are the ones to follow.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post

So basicaly , you think you've just proved everything without saying anything ?
Honestly, you shouldn't even be allowed to post in any thread that has Koivu in the title, because we all know the nonsense you're going to say, in more ways than one.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 02:43 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
how did i not see this thread coming
cant believe people are still questioning about this.
Yah, if I ever snap and let my colours go (more) to my head, I'll probably go around deleting threads like this. Sigh.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 02:49 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Honestly, you shouldn't even be allowed to post in any thread that has Koivu in the title, because we all know the nonsense you're going to say, in more ways than one.
Koivu is the true and only leader of the Habs . Habs can't win without him ./discussions.

Old
01-31-2009, 02:54 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
If a "C" is given to a player for his leadership, then Koivu is our captain. If the "C" is given to someone who likes to think he is the most talented player on the team, then Kovalev deserves the title.

After four consecutive losts, leaders show up right away. Let's watch the game to show who provides energy to the game: those are the ones to follow.
After 2, I can't see how anyone would chose Kovalev over Koivu...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 02:54 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs1993 View Post
Since Koivu has come back from his injury....we have been badly beaten.....Why?

Is there a leadership issue?....
Captain Koivu or Captain Kovalev?...who's the real leader?....
who ever is the leader they're not doing a very good job leading our young team...

I think we don't really have a clear cut captain who can put fire under our team and that is the real problem....

Maybe there is a power struggle between Koivu & Kovalev?....they both want to be captains and leaders....so who is the real voice in the dressing room for the young guys?

I think we are missing a leading voice...

If we had a clear cut leader who all our players respected and followed we would not be playing with such lack of character and determination to win. We would be alot more consistant every game.

Gainey and Carb need to quickly evaluate our teams leadership and captaincy and make the necessary moves to address the issue.

What do you guys think?....Do we have a leadership issue?.....Do me have strong leadership?.....Do we have a number 1 leader that is respected and can lead this team during highs and lows?

Is there a team chemistry issue?....
This is the second panick thread you've started in as many days. We get the point.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 03:39 PM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
After 2, I can't see how anyone would chose Kovalev over Koivu...
after looking through both their careers

i dont know how anyone can choose kovalev over koivu

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 03:41 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

Koivu showed his leadership by sacrificing his body on the PP goal

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Lone Rogue

Kovalev is a great player and a good leader.

Koivu is a good player and a great leader.

I'm happy to have both of them on this team, through the good times and the bad.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 03:54 PM
HellasLEAF
Bring back Killer

boy oh boy. I love Kovalev but tonight was awful. I really question his effort level and competitiveness at times.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Its quite baffling that Koivu can still be questioned at this point...
that should have been the last post of the thread before it died.

If memory is a function of intelligence then there are a lot of dumb people here.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 04:26 PM
FofH

I randomly read your forum, but happened to read this one. I found it funny that so many are ready to throw Koivu under the bus and strip his "C" away and specially when in over then days ago I read this finnish article what a certain defenceman had to say about Koivu.

The reporter asked that: "who is the best finnnish player ever to play in nhl?" and Chara answered without thinking: "it has to be Koivu,he is the one of the best all-around players in the league today."

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko.../01/787889?nhl

Chara chose to answer Koivu, when he could easily picked someone like Kurri, Selanne, Kipper etc.

That doesn't mean that he is the best player in your team, but what im reading here, i found it funny that some people are underrating the influence of Koivu to your team. Also I don't understand that these people here who have so much of knowledge from hockey or life don't seem to understand that hockey is a team sport. One player doesn't win cups or change anything in one night.

FofH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Bégin with the C
Lapierre and Kostopoulos with the A

/discussions.

Actually, I'd rather have one of them with a letter ahead of Kovalev. Preach by example! Fortunately for us, we have other more skilled forwards who have more leadership than that lazy *****! Komo, Higgins, Markov, Hamrlik, all have more guts in than Kovalev, and more leadership!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 05:12 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FofH View Post
I randomly read your forum, but happened to read this one. I found it funny that so many are ready to throw Koivu under the bus and strip his "C" away and specially when in over then days ago I read this finnish article what a certain defenceman had to say about Koivu.

The reporter asked that: "who is the best finnnish player ever to play in nhl?" and Chara answered without thinking: "it has to be Koivu,he is the one of the best all-around players in the league today."

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko.../01/787889?nhl

Chara chose to answer Koivu, when he could easily picked someone like Kurri, Selanne, Kipper etc.

That doesn't mean that he is the best player in your team, but what im reading here, i found it funny that some people are underrating the influence of Koivu to your team. Also I don't understand that these people here who have so much of knowledge from hockey or life don't seem to understand that hockey is a team sport. One player doesn't win cups or change anything in one night.
Mikko doesn't play for the Habs . What 's the point to bring his name here ?

Old
01-31-2009, 05:18 PM
MontrealHabitant

Koivu with the winning goal tonight again, unless im wrong that's 3 points in 3 games.

MontrealHabitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 01:31 AM
number 11

Quote:
Mikko doesn't play for the Habs . What 's the point to bring his name here ?

you need to stop posting forever.

anyone see the smallest guy on the ice sacrificing himself in front of the net to get the game winner tonight? thought so.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote