HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I am having trouble.

Old
01-29-2009, 05:52 PM
IniNew

vCash: 500
I am having trouble.

Migrating from Inline to Ice. I know stopping is the main issue with most people going from Roller to Ice hockey, but I am able to do that, however, I am having a huge problem holding edges. Especially while doing reverse cross-overs, every time I get my foot to the most extended position it feels like it catches a rut, or something along those lines and just starts wobbling and taking me with it. Any tips to fix this issue?

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 05:57 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
yeah, go with a different cut on your skates. People probably know more about it than me, I've been going with house cuts since I can remember but I used to get it 3/8's and house cuts are usually half an inch I think.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 06:00 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Yeah, try getting your skates sharpened with a shallower hollow.

Once I didn't ask for a specific hollow and got a 3/8. It was like I forgot how to skate all together. My skated kept digging into the ice stopping, turning, cross overs, etc and send me off balance.

So I went back and got a 5/8 and suddenly it was like magic. Suddenly my feet were doing what I wanted them to.

I've since gone further and stick with 3/4. Feels like butter. Just the right balance of edge while being forgiving enough on my rookie ways.

Bigger the number, the greater the radius, the shallower the hollow. Kind of reverse intuitive.

http://www.skateny.com/sharpening/

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
Migrating from Inline to Ice. I know stopping is the main issue with most people going from Roller to Ice hockey, but I am able to do that, however, I am having a huge problem holding edges. Especially while doing reverse cross-overs, every time I get my foot to the most extended position it feels like it catches a rut, or something along those lines and just starts wobbling and taking me with it. Any tips to fix this issue?
When you say you can stop, are you able to stop on all four edges.. on either foot?

You need to find your edges and learn how to control them... then everything comes from that, basically, including your crossovers.

The best thing to do is get a 5/8 hollow on your skate... it makes it much easier to "slide" on your edges and kickout during crossovers.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 03:00 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Yeah, try getting your skates sharpened with a shallower hollow.

Once I didn't ask for a specific hollow and got a 3/8. It was like I forgot how to skate all together. My skated kept digging into the ice stopping, turning, cross overs, etc and send me off balance.

So I went back and got a 5/8 and suddenly it was like magic. Suddenly my feet were doing what I wanted them to.

I've since gone further and stick with 3/4. Feels like butter. Just the right balance of edge while being forgiving enough on my rookie ways.

Bigger the number, the greater the radius, the shallower the hollow. Kind of reverse intuitive.

http://www.skateny.com/sharpening/
3/4 lets you transition much easier. and you can glide without losing much speed.been going with 13/16 for about 3 years now and love it. i bought a machine (wissota) about 5 years ago and started experimenting ever since. i've settled at 13/16.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 05:09 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
3/4 lets you transition much easier. and you can glide without losing much speed.been going with 13/16 for about 3 years now and love it. i bought a machine (wissota) about 5 years ago and started experimenting ever since. i've settled at 13/16.
Don't tempt me, my gf already bugs me that I have too much stuff already.

Yeah, I love the 3/4. I grew up skiing, so I like having to ability to scrape laterally, but then turn my edges into the ice to be able to stop.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
Well, first of all, I like roller hockey players on my team that can't stop on ice. It's hard to teach hockey players to keep there feet moving all the time without stopping. Yes, it's good not to run your face into the boards. But when it comes time to learning how to cycle, this comes in handy.

As for your edge, because you have for wheels that you normally skate on, it like skating with goalie skates. With ice skates you have a rocker on the blade where you are really only skating on about an inch long of the blade at any one time.

Yes, I know that there are some of you guys out there that have size 12. In this case, yes you are skating on more then an inch.

But not knowing how to balance properly, because of the rocker, can also make you feel like you don't have a good egde.

Here a good balancing drill to help. Place your feet in a "V" Then bend your knees. Once you bend your knees, you will start to move forward and your feet will move apart.

Just when they are about to max out in different direction, jump about two oe three inches off the ice and land with your feet in a "V"

Do this down the length of the ice for balance. The faster you come back to the "V" position, the faster you will go.

Then go backwards. This time, place your toes together and the heels apart. Same thing goes for this. Bend your knees. Once you bend your knees, you will start to move. Now the hard part is getting you go get those toes back together after you jump. But that's ok, try to get them as close as possible.

Then the next drill to do is....

Two "V" jumps forwards, on the third "V" jump, turn in the air 180 and land going backwards with toes together ankles out. Do two backward inverted "V's" on the third jump, turn 180 forward. This is called "two forward, two backward. Do this down the ice as well.

Last drill....

Single up the last drill. One "V" forward, turn 180 towards backwards, one inverted "V" backwards 180 turn forwards.

Then if you think you can do it, 360 in the air landing fowards.

Here, check this video out on my site. If you have any questions or you want more help.....PM me.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote