HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Make your offers for...Pavel Kubina

Old
01-29-2009, 12:26 PM
MLSE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac12 View Post
Counter?
Kubina for Nylander
*Vomits*

MLSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 12:30 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Link? As far as I can tell, the only evidence that the Leaf were offered a first rounder comes from various Leaf fans who claim they heard it somewhere.

From what I can see, that "rumor" doesn't have a shred of foundation in hard evidence and was basically created on internet chat boards.
I did a quick check on Lexis/Nexis. Not a whole lot of stories with info, but there's one that says McLaren + a pick. I can't link, because its a subscription service.

The Bernier + 1st rumour is baseless, I think that one was always speculation based on the Campbell deal.

Edit: Likewise, can't find the first article.

Last edited by grabo84: 01-29-2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: unsupported
grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 03:32 PM
mrinsane

To Toronto: Kyle Chipchura, Ryan O'Byrne + late pick

VS

To Montreal: Pavel Kubina

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
Durring the 2008 NHL trading deadline on TSN, Mckenzie and Dregger both reported tha the deal offered for Kubina was the same as the deal for Campbell. Not sure which to believe, .
Link?

The only evidence I've seen that McKenzie or Dreger reported this is some Leaf fans saying they "heard it." And, given the Leaf fans were also offering up some pretty creative interpretations of McKenzie and Dreger with regard McCabe, you'll forgive me if I don't find that to be even remotely credible.

In fact, I'll take that one step further: the idea that McKenzie reported that the Leafs got that offer for Kubina is pure unmitigated fantasy and an absolute fiction.

01-29-2009, 09:10 PM
grabo84

Okay, just doing a little searching.

The Bernier rumor like I said earlier looks to be baseless, there's no mention of it around the trade deadline last year.

So far as McLaren goes, this is the first one I found. March 1, 2008. Toronto Sun

It has been a controversial week for Kubina, who was involved in a messy lack of communication on Monday.
Interim general manager Cliff Fletcher thought he had a deal finalized with the San Jose Sharks that reportedly would have sent Kubina and his annual $5-million US salary to the west coast for defenceman Kyle McLaren and a draft pick.
Kubina, however, would not lift his no-trade clause, scuttling any swap.

So according to that McLaren and a draft pick. I don't see any more specificity that I can find, but I remember there was a lot of talk (speculation?) on TSN around the deadline that it was McLaren and a 1st, or something like that. Not sure if its possible to find any of that stuff out, but its sort of a moot point now anyways.

Edit: Should probably add, I thought I read the spectator article a couple of months ago when I was supposed to be doing some research. I can't find it, so strike that reference out, its possible I was mistaken.

Old
01-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Okay, just doing a little searching.

The Bernier rumor like I said earlier looks to be baseless, there's no mention of it around the trade deadline last year.

So far as McLaren goes, this is the first one I found. March 1, 2008. Toronto Sun

It has been a controversial week for Kubina, who was involved in a messy lack of communication on Monday.
Interim general manager Cliff Fletcher thought he had a deal finalized with the San Jose Sharks that reportedly would have sent Kubina and his annual $5-million US salary to the west coast for defenceman Kyle McLaren and a draft pick.
Kubina, however, would not lift his no-trade clause, scuttling any swap.

So according to that McLaren and a draft pick. I don't see any more specificity that I can find, but I remember there was a lot of talk (speculation?) on TSN around the deadline that it was McLaren and a 1st, or something like that. Not sure if its possible to find any of that stuff out, but its sort of a moot point now anyways.

I think it is a moot point too, because we can both agree that the situation is entirely different now. What Kubina could bring at this deadline could be in an entirely different universe than what happens under last year's very unusual circumstances.

I just get irked at comments like "it has been stated that the offer for Kubina was McClaren and a 1st" when there is supporting evidence whatsoever. At best, we don't know what the offer was with some solid sources reporting it was nothing more than a salary dump.

Anyway you slice it, the deadline is a crap shoot and a guy like Kubina could certainly attract a significant overpayment.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:17 PM
grabo84

Yeah, definitely. These things have a way of getting a life of their own, and after a while they just get accepted as fact.

Old
01-30-2009, 09:44 PM
dmacin2*

Its good that most realize that Kubina is nothing more than a depth player who is overpaid

dmacin2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:03 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacin2 View Post
Its good that most realize that Kubina is nothing more than a depth player who is overpaid
Thanks for adding to the thread. Good work.

Old
01-30-2009, 11:05 PM
ugotmybeef*

not many team's are going to take Kubina and his overinflated 5 million dollar contract.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I note that you did not express appreciation for his contribution. What kind of hater are you?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 01:33 AM
dmacin2*

Quote:
No problem! Thanks for your support!

Old
01-31-2009, 05:48 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
To Toronto:
Nylander
Morrisonn
Osala
1st

To Washington:
Kubina
Respectfully I think that is far too much to give up for Kubina.

The guy's contract is even bigger than Nylander's which doesn't help the Cap's salary situation. Plus, Osala is far too valuable a prospect than to ship it off for a player of Kubina's abilities. If Washington ships off its best goal scoring forward prospect as well as two roster players and 1st, I hope its for a defenseman who top 2-3 defenseman on a playoff team.

My suggestion would be:

Nylander
Morrisonn
2nd 2009

for

Kubina

Now I'm sure TO fans will want at least a First and a Number #1 prospect for this guy, but I am just not seeing it. Most defensemen of Kubina's ilk will receive either a 1st or 2nd rd pick at the trade deadline (see Witt, Foote, Stuart, etc.) This trade gives them essentially that same value: A young established defensive defenseman with RFA status, a 2nd round pick plus a a 1-2 line center for two years.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 06:09 AM
WildWolfdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
Respectfully I think that is far too much to give up for Kubina.

The guy's contract is even bigger than Nylander's which doesn't help the Cap's salary situation. Plus, Osala is far too valuable a prospect than to ship it off for a player of Kubina's abilities. If Washington ships off its best goal scoring forward prospect as well as two roster players and 1st, I hope its for a defenseman who top 2-3 defenseman on a playoff team.

My suggestion would be:

Nylander
Morrisonn
2nd 2009

for

Kubina

Now I'm sure TO fans will want at least a First and a Number #1 prospect for this guy, but I am just not seeing it. Most defensemen of Kubina's ilk will receive either a 1st or 2nd rd pick at the trade deadline (see Witt, Foote, Stuart, etc.) This trade gives them essentially that same value: A young established defensive defenseman with RFA status, a 2nd round pick plus a a 1-2 line center for two years.
Toronto has more than enough defensemen. And Kubina's salary is something like $135,000 more than Nylander - that's nothing. Not to mention that Nylander is signed for another year after Kubina expires.

No thanks.

WildWolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 02:50 AM
dmacin2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolfdog View Post
Toronto has more than enough defensemen. And Kubina's salary is something like $135,000 more than Nylander - that's nothing. Not to mention that Nylander is signed for another year after Kubina expires.

No thanks.
I don't think they will get much more than another bad contact.

Old
02-01-2009, 03:51 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolfdog View Post

No thanks.
No worries...enjoy the rebuild...

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote