HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Kovalev, Tomas Plekanec, Sergei Kostitsyn...what's wrong with them?

Old
02-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Alex Kovalev, Tomas Plekanec, Sergei Kostitsyn...what's wrong with them?

Alex Kovalev - Does he not realize that it's his contract year? Last season, he was dangerous EVERY time he touched the puck. I really wish he could pull it together. It seems that he's been doing the same deke to get into the other teams zone for 3 years now..and lately he's been failing alot more than succeeding. It's gotten to the point where I just wish Carbo wouldn't use him on the PP at all. He's not dangerous AT ALL with the puck this year IMO, and I'm growing tired of his 11 turnovers per game.

Tomas Plekanec - He really is playing like a little girl this season. He seems to lack confidence out there and he's not setting up beautiful plays like in the past. He's a very skilled guy, but you wouldn't know that if you just started watching the Habs this year. I'd even say he's been completely invisible on MANY nights this season. I think he could be a regular 70 point guy in this league..I just wish he'd show us more.

Sergei Kostitsyn - This may not be a popular opinion, but I honestly think with the way he's been playing this year...he belongs in Hamilton. I think he's going to be a really good player for us down the road...but what the hell is wrong with him? On many nights he looks like our slowest player and nothing really ever happens when he has the puck. Sophmore slump possibly? Either way, he's been awful.

There's really only 3 or so players who are having good seasons..but these 3 players in particular have really dissapointed me this season. If they could step up their games it'd be a start to get this team back on track.

What do you guys think?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 04:37 PM
MTL-rules

Plekanec is playing much better the last couple of games...

Sergei played a good game...

Kovalev is a lost cause...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Kirk Muller

the universal catch phrase. "LACKING IN CHARACTER"

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 04:40 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Plekanec is playing much better the last couple of games...

Sergei played a good game...

Kovalev is a lost cause...
Yeah I agree with that, except Kovalev, you never know when he's gonna play an amazing game, but yeah as always said I dont think we should re-sign him.

For the other 2, bad season happens, I think both are more effective of late. Hopefully they can get their confidence for playoff time.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Habs8517

they play when they want to play so you cant count on them
lack of class towards the fans

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 04:47 PM
MonacoBlue

Kovalev needs linemates that create space in order for him to play well. Without the 07-08 version of Plekanec, he doesn't have anyone to play with. Personally, at this point, I wouldn't re-sign him because of this. He's not the kind of piece teams win Cups with (at this point in his career). If we want some better performances out of him in the short-term, though, I say stick him with Lapierre and a crash and banger. Make him simplify his game.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

Alex Kovalev, Tomas Plekanec, Sergei Kostitsyn - What do you guys think?
Kovalev: is a highly skilled player who's age is catching up to him - '07-'08 was an exceptional year for him at this time in his career (considering his age). As fans we cannot expect Kovalev to return to this same level of productivity.

Plekanec: benefitted (in '07-'08) greatly from the the play of Kovalev (as a linemate) - he has 3rd line talent. Example; If Plekanec was playing in say Detroit, he would be competing for 3rd line ice time with Draper.

Sergei Kostitsyn: is - and will never be any better than 3rd line talent - it's that simple!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
Kovalev needs linemates that create space in order for him to play well. Without the 07-08 version of Plekanec, he doesn't have anyone to play with. Personally, at this point, I wouldn't re-sign him because of this. He's not the kind of piece teams win Cups with (at this point in his career). If we want some better performances out of him in the short-term, though, I say stick him with Lapierre and a crash and banger. Make him simplify his game.
won't work as Kovalev will likely start sulking like he did today and two years ago.

he can play well with anyone if he chose to. the fire and passion are not there this season. There was a reason he left the Rangers for essentially pocket change. He wears out his welcome.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 04:53 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Alex Kovalev - Does he not realize that it's his contract year? Last season, he was dangerous EVERY time he touched the puck. I really wish he could pull it together. It seems that he's been doing the same deke to get into the other teams zone for 3 years now..and lately he's been failing alot more than succeeding. It's gotten to the point where I just wish Carbo wouldn't use him on the PP at all. He's not dangerous AT ALL with the puck this year IMO, and I'm growing tired of his 11 turnovers per game.

Tomas Plekanec - He really is playing like a little girl this season. He seems to lack confidence out there and he's not setting up beautiful plays like in the past. He's a very skilled guy, but you wouldn't know that if you just started watching the Habs this year. I'd even say he's been completely invisible on MANY nights this season. I think he could be a regular 70 point guy in this league..I just wish he'd show us more.

Sergei Kostitsyn - This may not be a popular opinion, but I honestly think with the way he's been playing this year...he belongs in Hamilton. I think he's going to be a really good player for us down the road...but what the hell is wrong with him? On many nights he looks like our slowest player and nothing really ever happens when he has the puck. Sophmore slump possibly? Either way, he's been awful.

There's really only 3 or so players who are having good seasons..but these 3 players in particular have really dissapointed me this season. If they could step up their games it'd be a start to get this team back on track.

What do you guys think?
Plekanec is really having a bad season, but considering he's still fairly young and --RFA-- at the end of the season, he'll be kept by Gainey.

Sergei seems out of shape and slow out there. He's relying on his vision and it's not enough. I hope he'll be training with Lats this summer, because, if there's one guy who works hard every summer it's Lats.

Kovalev won't be resigned this summer and that's perfect.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 04:58 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
Kovalev: is a highly skilled player who's age is catching up to him - '07-'08 was an exceptional year for him at this time in his career (considering his age). As fans we cannot expect Kovalev to return to this same level of productivity.

Plekanec: benefitted (in '07-'08) greatly from the the play of Kovalev (as a linemate) - he has 3rd line talent. Example; If Plekanec was playing in say Detroit, he would be competing for 3rd line ice time with Draper.

Sergei Kostitsyn: is - and will never be any better than 3rd line talent - it's that simple!
Why the hell are you comparing our situation to Detroit's ? None of our centers would be competing for a better spot than 3rd line center.They have 2 of the world's best centers in Zetterberg and Datsyuk. You won't find many teams with a better second line center than Plekanec ( that's not considering the fact that he's having an horrid season, but rather the skills he's shown in the past).

Old
02-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Rayne*

Where's Erika to defend Sergei? It's impossible to defend him now.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

As much as I love Kovalev, I have to say that his recent performances are frustrating.
In his big slump earlier in the year, he was playing well,but very unlucky.

Right now, he'll put 1 goal or an assist here and there (1 out of 4 games),but after that he's almost completely invisible...lacks instensity and determination compared to last year. Plekanec's and almost every foward except Lang's "**** year" has not helped either. But he should be the one pushing the others not the other way around. And we all know he can do it, love him or not.

Our team is in a bad phase and despite the several disappointing individual seasons, we shouldn't forget the good things each player has brought this year, even if it's for a little amount of time. If it's time for the leaders of this organisation like Kovy, Koivu, Carbonneau and Gainey to step up, it's now. The rest of the team will follow.

Some people will be optimistic and say we shouldn't be so critical and hard on this team when we're 4th-5th in the conference. But can you truly say this is the highest potential this team has? Sorry, I don't believe it.

It's time for our best players, superstars or not superstars, to step up big time.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Africa.

Honestly, I think age is just catching up with Kovalev. He's gonna be 36 this month.

Africa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:15 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa. View Post
Honestly, I think age is just catching up with Kovalev. He's gonna be 36 this month.
Let's trade him for Chelios (46) who won't do worse than him.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Let's trade him for Chelios (46) who won't do worse than him.
That would be a steal for Detroit right now.

Old
02-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Melvin Udall

[QUOTE=VO Ouragan16;17665357]Why the hell are you comparing our situation to Detroit's ?

A) Because I wanted to (do I need your permission to do so?)!

B) Because I would compare (Plekanec's) "skills he's shown in the past" to the skill level of Draper - not a bad player - just not a real good player - which is why, on a good team he's on the
3rd line!

And, you were right when you said.....None of our (Habs) centers would be competing for a better spot than 3rd line center which of course is the reason that Detroit will be (once again) a true Cup contender while the Habs stumble into or out of a playoff spot and (if they get in) will make an early exit!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Who cares about contract year....anybody remember how Ryder played in his contrat year....how much did he sign for, and what are his stats this year....

I believe that teams in the league beging to realize that there are a Habs factor...remove them for that team, and they'll play better...(not that it's necessarily Ryder's case 'cause he had some good years, but I don't have to name the others....)

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Who cares about contract year....anybody remember how Ryder played in his contrat year....how much did he sign for, and what are his stats this year....

I believe that teams in the league beging to realize that there are a Habs factor...remove them for that team, and they'll play better...(not that it's necessarily Ryder's case 'cause he had some good years, but I don't have to name the others....)
+1

There's definetely a drop of production or unreachability of full potential once a player is playing for Montreal. That's one of the mysteries I've witnessed since i'm a fan. Maybe we're not the only team in the NHL, but it's pretty frustrating.

Old
02-01-2009, 05:27 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Proves that it takes a special player to blossom and flourish on this team.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:

I think that soooooo much space is given to Kovalev on this team that young players have to work really hard to getenough attention to get some PP time

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:36 PM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post

Wow, very insightful, thank you for the time you took to share your wisdom with us

L4br3cqu3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Magic33

I really have never seen Kovalev play this poorly. Its really bad right now.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:56 PM
kovalost27

The team has lost morale. They've lost 5 of their last 6. Kovalev will bounce back. Plekanec and S Kostitsyn have yet to prove themselves this year... They also are plagued with injuries. That doesn't help!

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Something needs to be clarified here. Some journalists came back from London a while ago with the report that was coming either from Dale Hunter or somebody else in London saying that SKost was the most ready NHL'er from Pat Kane and Sam Gagner (first....yeah right...great analysis.....).

But then some other journalists came back from London lately (sort of speak, they might have called...) saying that either Dale Hunter or somebody in London said that SKost was a great player.......1 game out of 3.....

So, are we actually having what is advertised? Just a guy with a poor work ethic...I remember being bashed when I was coming back with reports about how SKost looked lazy and disinterested in the different camps I've seen.....seems to me that the kid brought the same "work ethic" during the games....

Having said all of that, and while I can probably say that it looks the same for the older bro...., I'm not too sure that this cannot be corrected with the appropriate coaching.....I'm really not sure that guys like Julien, Babcock or some others wouldn't be able to light those bros up.....while Carbo.....

Last edited by Whitesnake: 02-01-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 06:08 PM
JAVO16

[QUOTE=ND Irish;17665693]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Ouragan16 View Post
Why the hell are you comparing our situation to Detroit's ?

A) Because I wanted to (do I need your permission to do so?)!

B) Because I would compare (Plekanec's) "skills he's shown in the past" to the skill level of Draper - not a bad player - just not a real good player - which is why, on a good team he's on the
3rd line!

And, you were right when you said.....None of our (Habs) centers would be competing for a better spot than 3rd line center which of course is the reason that Detroit will be (once again) a true Cup contender while the Habs stumble into or out of a playoff spot and (if they get in) will make an early exit!
A) No, because it's ludicrous.

B) Draper is/was a shutdown center and, as such, usually got the second highest TOI among centers because he had to play against the other teams top line all night( or 2nd best line since Detroit could play the Datsyuk/Zetterberg line against any line last year). Last year Plekanec scored 29 goals and 69 points which is 5 goals and 29 points better than Draper's best year. Plekanec may be soft, but he's more skilled than Draper ever was.

C) Nothing to argue here since it's pretty obvious.