HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

From Russia with love?

Old
01-31-2009, 09:01 PM
BJG

vCash: 500
From Russia with love?

I believe this might have come up about a month ago, but I don't recall if anyone had an answer: When the KHL season is over, can the Russian players whose rights we own come over to play (read: Emelin, Valenteko)? If they were allowed to, would they get any playing time with the Habs?
Please enlighten me.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
I believe this might have come up about a month ago, but I don't recall if anyone had an answer: When the KHL season is over, can the Russian players whose rights we own come over to play (read: Emelin, Valenteko)? If they were allowed to, would they get any playing time with the Habs?
Please enlighten me.
Emelin is about 100% to be coming over, but no official reports yet. No news from Valentenko yet.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 09:15 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I believe they can, but they have to pass through waivers first.

01-31-2009, 09:18 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Emelin is about 100% to be coming over, but no official reports yet. No news from Valentenko yet.
how do you know it's 100%?

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 09:19 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Are you serious? Even if its in the offseason? IF so then consider Emelin gone.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 09:22 PM
BJG

I meant prior to the playoffs.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
sources close to the organization.

Old
01-31-2009, 09:24 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Are you serious? Even if its in the offseason? IF so then consider Emelin gone.
No definitely not the off-season. I think there is a rule in place that any player playing over seas has to pass through waivers during the regular season. Before they are allowed to play in the NHL. This way, NHL teams can't store players away.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 09:30 PM
goalchenyuk

out of Perezhogin , i am not sure that our Russian prospects are ready to play here anyway .

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 09:44 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
It's only for professional or former professional players and since they were never signed to an NHL contract I doubt their playing time in Russia count as such. And for Valentenko, he technically has an NHL contract, so no waivers too.

Quote:
I think there is a rule in place that any player playing over seas has to pass through waivers during the regular season. Before they are allowed to play in the NHL. This way, NHL teams can't store players away.
Players signed to NHL contract and loaned in Europe don't have to be placed in waivers to come back.

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 09:44 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
sources close to the organization.
what do your sources tell you about gainey signing impending UFAs?

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
what do your sources tell you about gainey signing impending UFAs?
I'm not an insider and never was, just forwarding what sevil's sources said about emelin.

Nothing about ufa's though.

Old
02-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Shred

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
Players signed to NHL contract and loaned in Europe don't have to be placed in waivers to come back.
So Dubielewicz had to go through waivers because he was unsigned UFA when brought back?

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 12:20 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post
So Dubielewicz had to go through waivers because he was unsigned UFA when brought back?
Not because he is UFA, because he is a professional player to was signed after the start of the season. A couple of seasons ago, Kovalchuk was RFA and he played 11 games in Russia before signing a new contract with Atlanta, if he had played there past the start of the NHL season, Thrashers would've had to put him on waivers.

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

If they could bring Valentenko back and sign Emelin to a TO deal to finish the year in Hamilton, that'd be fine. I don't see either player on the immediate NHL radar anyway, so the waiver issue seems moot.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Belso

It would be interesting to see Yemelin come over and try and be available for the pay-offs in case they get injuries. He got his KHL salary for this season, Yes?? This would be bonus play for bonus pay...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:29 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Please enlighten me.
All could except Perezhogin who I think would need to clear waivers, but I don't see the need for any of them at this point.

Emelin I would hope they will sign and bring over but I'd rather see him at camp in the fall and see how he does in preseason before considering him for an NHL spot as he has struggled in the RSL/KHL the past 2 seasons from what I've seen and heard.

Valentenko I would like to see him back in Hamilton but I don't know if the Habs would be on board with that or not, will be interesting to see what happens with him down the road.

Perezhogin I'd welcome back in the fall but with the season he's having he should get a decent contract in Russia so who knows what he will do.

Korneev I'd like to get over here in the fall, I have my doubts he would leave but with his improved play since joining A.Kostitsyn's former team CSKA, perhaps they could work something out with him where if he doesn't make the NHL he could go back to Russia where I'm sure he could easily find a team that will pay him well.

Turnev I have no clue, I hope he comes over to the CHL next year but I'd have major doubts about that since he's been getting more action in the KHL so he likely makes decent coin vs very little in the CHL. Portland sure looks stupid taking a guy that high in the import draft and then giving his rights away, so they surely don't expect him in NA next year. So who knows if or when we will ever see him, I've heard that he said he wanted to play in the NHL, I recall Valentenko saying that too, but the problem is the amount of money these kids get in the AHL (under 65K) vs what they will get in Russia (I'd guess 150K or so if they are young)

Quote:
I recall at the draft Timmins was asked about Emelin and he seemed to think there was a decent chance of getting him over here after this season. So it sounds like he might come over, I haven't heard anything but I haven't asked either, to me I wouldn't really believe anything I heard anyways cause with him you just don't know as there's been some fishy things going on or so it appears at least.

But since he doesn't have a contract for next year yet, and with his struggles perhaps he will look to make the jump. Would be cool to see what he can do if he came over.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:35 AM
evilstanley

i wanna see if Emelin can handle the NHL.
we def could use a pugnacious defender on the blue line.
i see him taking Bouillon's place in the near future, if he ever comes over here.

evilstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Evil Ted

As overrated emelin is on this board he probably couldnt be much worse then the bottom 2 or 3 on d in Montreal right now, I would be interested in seeing him over here sooner rather then later.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
It's only for professional or former professional players and since they were never signed to an NHL contract I doubt their playing time in Russia count as such. And for Valentenko, he technically has an NHL contract, so no waivers too.

Thanks for the correction thief, I wasn't quite sure of the rules.

Old
02-01-2009, 02:28 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
I believe only if you sign a free agent does he have to then pass through waivers. If the player is already property of your team and you sign him, I don't think he needs to clear through waivers.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I believe only if you sign a free agent does he have to then pass through waivers. If the player is already property of your team and you sign him, I don't think he needs to clear through waivers.
That makes sense, thanks Ferris.

Old
02-01-2009, 02:37 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Great Movie.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Erika

Update on Alexander Perezhogin !!

2008-09 Ufa Salavat Yulayev: 47 games - 28 goals - 21 assists 49 points - 26 PIMs

6th in the KHL scoring race... 2 points behind Jaromir Jagr (51 points) !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Please enlighten me.
I can only assume you are kidding?

Re: Valenteko Considering how Valentenko did not even live up to his contract oblogations, he's unreliable (at best) - I would not want the guy on my roster or in my dressing room (tradebait maybe?).

Re: Emelin although he has a reputation as a good player, I don't know much about him. I do know that I would not draft or otherwise aquire any players from Russia - I would stick to Canadian & US born players!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote