HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Trade for a Center?

Old
02-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
Sorry to hear about Langer.

As for Nylander/Fedorov...Fedorov is not going to be traded. He is the 1st/2nd line center for the Caps along with Backstrom.

If any center is available from the Caps it will be Nylander. Yeah he has a big contract, but the guy is stuck in the wrong system and not being given much of an opportunity to skate with decent offensive wingers nor is he given any PP time- hence the drop in production. IMHO His poor showing this year has more to do with where he is on the depth chart vs. his ability to be productive.
How come? He's in the most offensive system!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Andy

Higgins and Plekanec for Arnott?

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:30 PM
MrNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Can anyone confirm if Lang salary will still be counted on our cap space?
His salary can be replaced while he is injured. Since he is gone for the season the Habs would be able to replace his full salary (pro-rated).

MrNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
At this point, you don't trade Plek since if Saku retires at the end of the season...Who are you gonna replace him with?

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Magic33

I want to trade for a Center ONLY if that player is signed beyond this year. Honestly, and dont burn me at the stake for saying this, but selling our farm to get a centreman who is a UFA is a waste. Why? I dont think we are contenders right now and its not worth selling the farm for a part-time fix. If the player will help beyond this year then it is worth it. Not to mention we still need another d-man. Tough choices for gainey ahead.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:39 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
WTF ?? Trading 2 young players who are still RFA for an old and inconsistant center who refused to sign for the CH ?

JAVO16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:39 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
I want to trade for a Center ONLY if that player is signed beyond this year. Honestly, and dont burn me at the stake for saying this, but selling our farm to get a centreman who is a UFA is a waste. Why? I dont think we are contenders right now and its not worth selling the farm for a part-time fix. If the player will help beyond this year then it is worth it. Not to mention we still need another d-man. Tough choices for gainey ahead.
I share your sentiments completely.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Vinny, ain't it time to come back home??

Please, God!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
What, nobody has mentioned Grabovski?

kidding...kidding.
Why?

You need the roster spot for Jason Allison.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

A couple of options to replace him who could be cheap:

Matt Cullen, Mike Fisher, Shawn Horcoff, Daymond Langkow, David Langwand.

Of course some of them are too important to their team to be traded and the price may be different but I think they could replace Lang.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:48 PM
HotHabsFan*

well lets go right up the road to Ottawa and grab Spezza and Neil. but we know BG will disappoint once again !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Garry Valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Now that Lang is out for the season, is he still on the cap space? If not, we might have to go after an experimented Centreman that would be UFA at the end of the season. Anyone on the market? If he's still on the cap, we would have to trade an overpaid forward for an overpaid centreman. Would you trade Kovy straight up for Fedorov? I know Caps want to trade Nylander, but no one wants him so they might have to trade a player like Fedorov. However, he's often injured, so I guess that might be a little bit too risky.
Kovalev for Fedorov would be terrible. Kovalev is a game breaker. Fedorov is almost an old-timer.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I truly believe we should trade some of the players whom last name starts with "K".
It's obviously creating a conflict in the room,because some players feel like they're all the same and not special in their own way.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Belso

If Bob was working overtime trying to improve his team for a cup run, things just got a little more complicated.

If you ask me, it's time to re-evaluate your team and really see what are the chances this team can get to the finals without a top notch power play, constant Kovy, Pleky, A.Kostitsyn, and now the possible loss of Lang.

May not be worth going for a rental this season, keep the prospects, and go for a cup run next season.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 05:55 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
A couple of options to replace him who could be cheap:

Matt Cullen, Mike Fisher, Shawn Horcoff, Daymond Langkow, David Langwand.

Of course some of them are too important to their team to be traded and the price may be different but I think they could replace Lang.
Matt Culen who ? I'd prefer playing Chips than Matt Cullen TBH

Fisher and Horcoff are badly overpayed.

The Flames are playing too well right now to trade their 1st center.

Legwand is made out of glass and IMO also overpayed.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso
If Bob was working overtime trying to improve his team for a cup run, things just got a little more complicated.

If you ask me, it's time to re-evaluate your team and really see what are the chances this team can get to the finals without a top notch power play, constant Kovy, Pleky, A.Kostitsyn, and now the possible loss of Lang.

May not be worth going for a rental this season, keep the prospects, and go for a cup run next season.
This

Old
02-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
If only the Habs took Anze Kopitar instead of Carey Price...

Kopitar with 18 min ice time a game or Price at 60 min a game? Who affects your game more?

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Magic33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post

Agreed 100%. Maybe even look at selling a couple of our UFA's and see what we can get back. Im not saying to sell the whole team, but I definitely think Gainey should ask around and see what the interest would be for some of our UFA's.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
I truly believe we should trade some of the players whom last name starts with "K".
It's obviously creating a conflict in the room,because some players feel like they're all the same and not special in their own way.
Clever!

So, will BG be going after Vinny? Lately the rumour mill had stopped... I'm sure Eklund is behind this curse as he needs the rumours to have traffic on his site!

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 06:12 PM
AgRiVaToRR*

Tanguay can play center:

Koivu
Tanguay
Plex
Lap

AgRiVaToRR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 06:15 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgRiVaToRR View Post
Tanguay can play center:

Koivu
Tanguay
Plex
Lap
ok so we don't make the playoffs it's official !!

Old
02-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Ouragan16 View Post
Matt Culen who ? I'd prefer playing Chips than Matt Cullen TBH

Fisher and Horcoff are badly overpayed.

The Flames are playing too well right now to trade their 1st center.

Legwand is made out of glass and IMO also overpayed.

EDIT:

This
That is a foolish statment.

Cullen is a solid producer, he brings a lot of things to the table...gets 15 goals a year since the lockout, around 40-50 points, plays the PK, and is affordable, contrary to the others on that list.

I like Chips, but no offence to him, he hasn't done anything in the NHL to merit replacing Lang...plus Cullen has a cup ring with Carolina, and was gold in the playoffs.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 06:16 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
That is a foolish statment.

Cullen is a solid producer, he brings a lot of things to the table...gets 15 goals a year since the lockout, around 40-50 points, plays the PK, and is affordable, contrary to the others on that list.

I like Chips, but no offence to him, he hasn't done anything in the NHL to merit replacing Lang...plus Cullen has a cup ring with Carolina, and was gold in the playoffs.

12 G 9 A in 40 games no thnx

Old
02-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
ok so we don't make the playoffs it's official !!
Say WHAT?!

Has everyone here gone completely off their rocker? Tanguay is a more skilled player than Lang, not as much a goal scorer, but a good player nonetheless.

I seriously fail to see how would we miss the playoffs with Tanguay at centre instead of Lang, we need to take it easy here: Lang was a great presence, he'll be missed, but Tanguay clicked too at the start of the year, he was on pace for a monster year until injuries struck, Lang isn't God either, sure he was having an unbelievable year, but others *like Tangs* can and will step up (at least I hope).

Quote:
12 G 9 A in 40 games no thnx
Much better than Chipchura's 4 G 9 A in 44 career games.

A near 50-point player when playing with skilled wingers, just look at his numbers before this year (and if I'm not mistaken, in a strictly 3rd line role)

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Habs_Apostle

I agree with much of the sentiment here: forget going for a cup run this season. We definitely shouldn't be worrying about a rental. I mean, for what? So we can get out of the first round. Any acquisition must have long-term written all over it. I'd even be in favor of overpaying (e.g., for Vinny) if in the long run (when some of our younger prospects mature) it will make our team better.

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 06:21 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Say WHAT?!

Has everyone here gone completely off their rocker? Tanguay is a more skilled player than Lang, not as much a goal scorer, but a good player nonetheless.

I seriously fail to see how would we miss the playoffs with Tanguay at centre instead of Lang, we need to take it easy here: Lang was a great presence, he'll be missed, but Tanguay clicked too at the start of the year, he was on pace for a monster year until injuries struck, Lang isn't God either, sure he was having an unbelievable year, but others *like Tangs* can and will step up (at least I hope).
I don't think Tanguay has ever played center at the NHL level.